CaP 22 Pre-Evo - Part 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hey all!

Welcome to that time I think everyone has been waiting for with Art Submissions!

With Kerfluffle's prevo keeping its abilities and being just Fairy typed, I am very interesting to see what our artists can come up with!

Here is a pic of Kerfluffle to help with any ideas!

A final submission will contain a main design and supporting material if you choose to add supporting material to your artwork. What constitutes a main design and supporting material will be discussed later in this post. The most important rule concerning art submissions is that all work must be your own. Plagiarism is heavily frowned upon and will only result in pain, misery, and infractions. Or even bans in particularly egregious cases. Using someone else's idea as inspiration is fine, but copying someone else's idea and passing it off as your own is unacceptable. Use discretion when using someone else's idea; if you think you are plagiarizing, you probably are.

Main Designs

A main design is the piece of art that the voters will be voting on. It is modeled after the Official Art of existing Pokemon. For example, the Kerfluffle artwork in this post is Kerfluffle's Main Design. The winning Main Design will be the official, definitive art for Kerfluffle's pre-evolution. Therefore, when creating and submitting your Main Design, remember that your design should be worthy of display as the official art for Kerfluffle's pre-evolution. Official pictures of Kerfluffle's pre-evolution will use the winning Main Design. Although the idea of a Main Design is the "Official Pokemon Art" of Kerfluffle's pre-evolution, that does not mean you have to follow any specific artistic style when designing your Pokemon. There are no pre-determined standards of artistic design or rendering technique.

Here are the rules governing legal Main Design submissions:

• Your design must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background with no part of the Pokemon cut off by the canvas.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (ie. Conkeldurr's pillars, Gurdurr's girder), then it is acceptable.
  • Any 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing may be used. It must be in full color. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • Your design must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background. No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • The maximum allowed size is 640x640 and the minimum allowed size of 320x320.
  • Your design must be in a compressed digital format such as .png or .jpg.
  • Please only host artwork on a reliable image hosting service (such as imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
Final Submission Post Rules

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the Main Design at the top, and supporting material (if applicable) below it.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

By making a final submission, an artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.

Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

These rules are not malleable and will be strictly enforced. Do not use precedence as an argument for breaking these rules. Claiming that your submission is legal because it emulates an existing Pokemon or a previous CAP's art is not a valid reason for breaking the rules. There are existing in-game Pokemon that do not comport with these rules and there are existing CAP Main Designs that do not comport with these rules. However, these are still the current rules for submitting Main Designs and for your design to be legal, it must follow all of these rules. If you are not sure whether your design is legal, feel free to contact me or a CAP moderator. These rules are not meant to discourage users from submitting art and these rules are not supposed to trick anyone. If you want to make sure your submission is legal, please ask!

Supporting Material

Supporting Material is material that adds to your Main Design. Although the winning Supporting Material is not featured in the same capacity as the Main Design, Supporting Material is still useful for convincing others why your design deserves to win the Art Polls. There are almost no rules governing Supporting Material, and almost any Supporting Material you can think of is allowed. Typical examples of Supporting Material include motion sketches, interactions between your art design and other Pokemon (including CAPs), animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips. Pictures of your design from other angles are also acceptable. Non-art supporting material is also perfectly fine. If you would like to argue or describe in words how your art design works, that is also legal. Just remember to keep your Supporting Material tasteful and to relate your Supporting Material to the Main Design. This rule is intended to prevent artists from posting unrelated art in an effort to gain more attention or promote other designs or artworks. Supporting Material is not necessary nor required for the Art Poll. All you need to create to appear in the Art Poll is a legal Main Design, but if you would like to further explain your Main Design then feel free to include Supporting Material. There are very few rules governing Supporting Material, so get creative with your Material if you include some!

General Posting Rules
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not spam the thread with excessive amounts of artwork over a short period of time. Apparently, some artists think they will improve their chances in the poll if they overload the submission thread with their artwork. Doing so will result in your posts being moderated.
  • Do not post inconsequential "updates" to previously posted art. Only if you have made a significant change and have not posted art recently can you post an update in the thread.
  • No post can contain more than 800x800 pixels of included art, and no single picture can be larger than 640x640. Past those limits, artists should post links to the additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150x150. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post, even if it passes the limit. All art must be in a compressed digital format such as .jpg or .png.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. Such posts are a weak attempt to "reserve" an idea, and serve no constructive purpose. "Reserving" an idea carries no weight and is completely inconsequential to your final product.
  • Do not post images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to do your idea. This isn't an idea thread. It's fine for artists to post their own inspiration as supporting material. All work should be your own. If you would like to bounce around some ideas, do so on #cap on IRC.
  • No bumping or begging, especially for feedback. If your design is any good, people will comment on it. If your design gets no feedback, then your design is not very good. Consider the silence to be your feedback. If your design is not receiving feedback, then it is probably not impressing anyone enough to win the Art Poll. Discussing your design on #cap on IRC, however, is fine. Just follow the IRC rules when doing so.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or say that anything "is clearly going to win". It's fine to post praise or support for an artwork, but don't make a statement indicating the results of a poll that has not been conducted. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not post that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". Such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted. There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon, so don't act like you know what a Pokemon should look like. If you like or dislike a design, that's fine, just say that. Saying you dislike a design is fine as long as your criticism is constructive. Don't say someone's design looks more like Agumon than Kerfluffle.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. This isn't a tutorial thread.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the main design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post. If the final submission contains no significant supporting material, then no link will be included in the poll below the main design. As a result of This Policy Review decision, all legal Final Submissions will be slated on the Art Poll. You do not have to convince me that your art is worthy to be slated. I am just another voter in terms of the Art Poll, my only other responsibility is, well, running this thread and opening/closing the poll. To reiterate, all legal submissions will make the Art Poll. Don't worry about "not being good enough to be slated", if your post follows all the rules then your design will go before the voters!

Miscellaneous

This thread will be open for much longer than other CAP pre-evolution threads. Stats and Movepool will run concurrently with this thread, so don't worry about a "time crunch" with Art Submissions. I will update this thread with more information (Stats, etc.) as we decide on it.

Our Prevos so far:

Typing: Fairy
Abilities: Natural Cure / Aroma Veil / Friend Guard

Last edited:
Neither can I can some one tell me how to change the size because that might fix my problem and by the way your drawing looks cool dat heatmor

You have to upload your image to an image hosting site like Imgur then once you have uploaded it you have to click the mountains icon, after that you paste the image link! I hope I helped you darmico !

As for you DatHeatmor what size was your initial image? If it was bigger then 640x640 then you should shrink it down. You know what scratch that just shrink the image down in the image editing tool that you used!

Last edited:

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
Very WIP

My ideal approach for a Kerf prevo wasn't just to make it a smaller square pillow, but actually make it a different kind of small pillow, with me then basing the design off of those circular cushions. Eventually, I reluctantly also noticed the design could also work like those little emoji pillows, so there's that too. (I guess emoji pillow -> body pillow is the perfect evolutionary line for meme pillows),

Sketch is still very WIP, the area between both sides of the cushion wasn't drawn as I really envisioned, I'm not much a fan of the stripe on it, since even as a baby mon it looks rather large and stupid, and I'm not sure about the hands, since they don't look like something that upon evo are used for whalloping.

Critiques are always appreciated! ;v

WIP

So I figured an appropriate pre-evo to a body pillow would be a boyfriend pillow, so I made this lil cutie. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated! (not identifiable enough with Kerfluffle? etc.)

Last edited:
The OP mentions Plasmanta, just like the Naviathan Prevos. **Fixed** :P

But seriously, I really like Reigaheres's design. It's a cute cushion. I want to pet it.

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP

So I'm by no means an artist, but I had the idea that Kerfluffle's prevo could be a weird little neck pillow slug thing. Not sure if it being a neck pillow really translates, but figured I'd throw it out there into the ether and see what peoples' thoughts were on it.

Final Submission

is a couch pillow

Reigaheres The idea of an emoji pillow works really well I think, the meme-lineage couldn't be denker. As for the stripe and hands/arms, if you look at a number of the baby-pokemon, a lot of them share this design element of having "diaper-like" markings starting at the middle of their abdomens, Bonsly, Happiny and Smoochum being the most obvious perpetrators of this. I don't think the stripe looks out of place at all, I think it works with the design of the prevo instead, though that's just my opinion. I think the arms look fine as well considering that this prevo is fairy type only and not part-fighting, and also since Kerfluffle doesn't have boxing gloves for hands or anything, just different sized/shaped pillows. 'Hope that commentary helps some, sorry for it's length!

darmico Like KrazyCake said, if you put your image through an editing program, there should be an option to resize it somewhere. If the software you use doesn't allow that, or you're not using any kind of photoshop-like drawing or editing program, then I'd recommend downloading the free software Krita which doubles as an art and image-editing tool, or using Pixlr which is a free online image editor that exports in a slightly lower quality. If that doesn't help, maybe you didn't save your image as a PNG or JPEG file type or something along those lines? It might have something to do with the image hosting website you uploaded to as well, in which case Imgur is a free and easy to use image hosting website too. Hopefully something in that block of troubleshooting advice helps fix your problem, I'd love to be able to see your submission!

Last edited:
WIP

EDIT: Decided on a pillow case with the ends tied up as "ears". Removed the tags and changed the face to be more cute.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I was contemplating a submission, but it was extremely similar to Ssensenh 's art, so I think I'll pass this time. So instead I just want to say that I really like Ssensenh's cute vibe and I feel like it fits the absence of the fighting typing very well. This is just my subjective opinion, but I feel like arms and legs aren't really needed, so I will probably tend to favor designs without them.

FriesforNapkins I really like the idea behind a couch pillow, but it looks like a part Fighting-type. Maybe, you could remove the arms to make it resemble a mono-Fairy more.

Ssensenh I love yours as well, even if it doesn't look hostile enough to evolve into Kerfluffle.

I may submit something today, but don't count on it. ;)

WIP

Quick lil WIP sketch for my design, decided itd ne good to shrink him down like a lil pillow cushion and keep big hands for punching but more cushiony and floppy to make it look lile its not a fighting type but it will become one.

Atm im kinda torn between this design and this one here http://m.imgur.com/HE8XvQM any comments on the design or which one i shoild pick (with reasons) is tremendously welcome!

Ssensenh loving the design however i think the eyes could be bigger and the tongue too, also struggles to fit human like egg group but hey whismur is monster

Felis Licht cute cheerful design butbit could be more pillow shaped atm looks like a bean and the arm thingies seem off

I was going to make a submission but it was pretty much Ssensenh's submission with two exeggcutor-like pillow cases next to it. I love @Sssensnh's post and I don't think mine would be necessary. If anyone thinks I should pursue the exeggcute idea, please tell me because I do want to get some art experience. I Thanks!

Ssensenh I think that the weird star eye would really help tie it together with Kerfluffle. I also like that you introduced white even though it wasn't in Kerfluffle's design. I like the idea of the prevo being lighter colored so (just an opinion) I would like to see that pink stripe become a color closer to that of Kerfluffle's body. If you darken the yellow just a little bit, the contrast might make it "pop" a little more.

Maybe someone should do a kind of tsum tsum design.

canno

formerly The Reptile
WIP

I'm gonna go back and re-draw it with lines but I wanted to get the design out there for some CnC before I do too much

I went for a quadruped design based off of those cylindrical pillows to try and make it look more animal-like. I might ditch the little frilly things on the head and "tail", and I need to add details to the front paws to make them look more like Kerluffle's hands. I don't have any CnC to give myself yet because I'm tired.

WIP 2

Some changes:
Made the body more square at PixelMoniac_'s suggestion
Made "ears" and "legs" more pillow-end like instead of looking like the tied end of a pillow case
Removed arm patches and replaced them with little nubs c: (the limbs come bursting out when it evolves)

Supposed to look like a cute, animal-like pillow you can hug~ always has a pleasant smile on its face

DatHeatmor Your design looks more like a mini Kerfluffle than a pre-evolution of Kerfluffle, try to remove some parts so it looks like a pre-evo that can become it (I'd also change the face).

Reigaheres Looks cute, but I'd change the face a little (maybe remove the tongue) so it looks less like Kerfluffle's.

Morghulis Interesting take on the pillow type, I like it! But its other arm and legs look a little too...flimsy imo.

GreatLiver Looks more like a pillow than a mon, try tweaking the design a bit.

FriesforNapkins I like how drastic your design is, but I feel it strays too far from Kerfluffle (design and color-wise) and looks more like a separate mon.

Ssensenh Really cute! I can totally see this little guy becoming Kerfluffle. I don't really have much else to say, it looks ok to me!

PixelMoniac_ I love how mischievous it looks, really good design. I can't wait to see it in color~

The Reptile Interesting design choice, but imo I think its transition from it to Kerfluffle doesn't make sense. I do like the frilly tassels though. I'd also change the face.

I was going to make a submission but it was pretty much Ssensenh's submission with two exeggcutor-like pillow cases next to it. I love @Sssensnh's post and I don't think mine would be necessary. If anyone thinks I should pursue the exeggcute idea, please tell me because I do want to get some art experience. I Thanks!

Ssensenh I think that the weird star eye would really help tie it together with Kerfluffle. I also like that you introduced white even though it wasn't in Kerfluffle's design. I like the idea of the prevo being lighter colored so (just an opinion) I would like to see that pink stripe become a color closer to that of Kerfluffle's body. If you darken the yellow just a little bit, the contrast might make it "pop" a little more.

Maybe someone should do a kind of tsum tsum design.
I would like to see your idea. It sounds very different and unique to what's been posted so far.

Felis Licht: I liked the arm patches. I think they fit better then the nubs.

I would like to see your idea. It sounds very different and unique to what's been posted so far. Maybe something that uses balls of fluff like it's stuffing itself?

Felis Licht: I liked the arm patches. I think they fit better then the nubs.

wip

I think this design could be good for the CAP, it is very similar to Kerfluffle but at least we know that is your prevo
cushion.jpg

scribbles? not if you mean the tongue or the belt but I do not see any scribble
The pink scribbles(I can't think of a better term, sorry) can be seen above your Prevo's eyes and near the right side of it's body. I'm currently on mobile and I can see it. Perhaps it's not as visible on computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)