CAP 25 - Part 12 - CAP 25g Pokedex Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
NEW: This is a Celebration CAP, meaning that we are going out of our way to break some rules. We'll be creating a set of three Pokemon this time around, a set of Fire, Water, and Grass-type starters! You can read exactly which rules we'll be breaking here and the logic behind Celebration CAPs here. Give these a read-through to get some context.

-----

Legal Pokedex submissions must meet the following standards
  • Pokedex Entries must have flawless grammar. Smogon has a Grammar & Prose team that will help identify mistakes.
  • Pokedex Entries cannot be longer than 32 words.
  • Pokedex Entries can only contain the following characters:
    • Letters A-Z
    • Numbers 0-9
    • Dash (-)
    • Apostrophe (')
    • Double quote (")
    • Period (.)
    • Comma (,)
    • Colon (:)
    • Semi-colon (;)
    • Space

Work In Progress (WIP) Pokedex Entries can be posted at any time for comments from the community.

No more than three WIP Pokedex Entries can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread. This limit applies to ALL posts made by a single person, even if previous posts are edited or deleted. This limit is intended to curb the tendency for some submitters to spam the thread repeatedly with multiple Pokedex Entries. This detracts from other submissions and makes it difficult for commenters to survey the submission thread.

Do not bump your WIP Pokedex Entries by posting them repeatedly, or making minor wording changes. Bumping will result in the disqualification of all Pokedex Entries by the offender. Editing or deleting bump posts will not prevent disqualification.

Only ONE Final Submission can be made per person.

Pokedex Entry Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator posts in the thread that final submissions are open. Any final submission posted prior to the Moderator notification post, will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that all submitters have equal opportunity to post final submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Pokedex entries Final Submissions must posted exactly in the following format and in the following exact order:
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on it's own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • "<Pokemon Name>, the <Species Name> Pokemon", with the Pokemon name and the Species Name in bold
  • A blank line
  • The Sun Pokedex Entry submission. Start with the letters "Sun" in bold, then a colon (:), and then the Pokedex entry.
  • A blank line
  • The Moon Pokedex Entry submission. Start with the letters "Moon" in bold, then a colon (:), and then the Pokedex entry.
  • A blank line
  • The Ultra Sun Pokedex Entry submission. Start with the letters "Ultra Sun" in bold, then a colon (:), and then the Pokedex entry.
  • A blank line
  • The Ultra Moon Pokedex Entry submission. Start with the letters "Ultra Moon" in bold, then a colon (:), and then the Pokedex entry.
Below the Final Submission you can post other comments, explanations, etc.

Example final submission:

Final Submission

Magearna, the Artificial Pokémon

Sun: This artificial Pokémon, constructed more than 500 years ago, can understand human speech but cannot itself speak.

Moon: Its mechanized body is merely a vessel. Its true self is its Soul-Heart, an artificial soul.

Ultra Sun: It synchronizes its consciousness with others to understand their feelings. This faculty makes it useful for taking care of people.

Ultra Moon: Built roughly 500 years ago by a scientist, the part called the Soul-Heart is the actual life-form.
Any Final Submission that does not follow the proper format will be disqualified.

-----

CAP 25 so far:

Topic Leader: reachzero

Topic Leadership Team:
EpicUmbreon29 - Typing
snake_rattler - Ability
jas61292 - Stats
cbrevan - Movepool

Name: Starter Trio CAPs

Description: This CAP is not one Pokemon, but three seperate Pokemon, based off of a Grass/Water/Fire starter trio.

Explanation: There is rarely such thing as a competitively viable starter Pokemon in the OU metagame, rare exceptions being Serperior, Greninja, and Blaziken for their insanely powerful abilities, and Infernape for his speed and movepool. Running three seperate CAP Processes with different Concepts can be loads of fun, and a nice way to celebrate CAP with our own starter trio! I'd love to see what the artists can come up with, and what pre-evos will be made alongside this trio, as well.
I've spoken to Birkal about this framework, and I've decided that this framework would definitely limit the Typing stage of each CAP, but not necessarily limit the Abilities stages, as Overgrow, Torrent, and Blaze aren't very competitively viable, and not necessarily limit the Stats stages, as starter trios tend not to share the same BSTs, giving us flexibility with where and how we want to place stats, especially with each "starter" most likely having a different concept from the others.

Possible Questions:
Is it possible to create a fully competitively viable Grass/Water/Fire trio?
What can be learned from a trio of Pokemon that will mostly likely check, if not counter, each other in a Rock Paper Scissors manner?
Exactly what does it take to create a fully competitively viable starter trio, something unprecedented in all of official, competitive Pokemon?

Of course, feedback is all but begged for as we work to flesh out this framework!

Starter Fact Sheet

Final Submission
  • Name - Astounding Ability Actualization (Triple A)
  • Description - These Pokemon each maximize the potential of their given, separate abilities by coordinating their movepools and that ability's competitive effect.
  • Justification - This is an Actualization concept much like Cyclohm's original "Neglected Ability." In my research on what made Pokemon with "Starter Level" stats effective, the common denominator was they all had abilities they used to full effect with their other competitive aspects. This framework gives us a unique opportunity to A-B test some fairly powerful abilities we usually shy away from and bring out an effective competitive starter trio.
  • Questions To Be Answered -
    • Which Abilities are best suited to a full, comprehensive exploration of their specific mechanics?
    • Why does Ability seem to be the common factor in taking "starter-esque" Pokemon into prominence (e.g. Protean and Battle Bond Greninja, Contrary Serperior, Speed Boost Blaziken to Ubers, etc.)
    • What is the threshold where maximizing an ability goes toi far, such as Blaziken's combination of Swords Dance, strong attack and mid-grade speed, and high BP STABS with Speed Boost or Protean Greninja's huge speed and just-varied enough movepool in prior Generations?
    • How will introducing three specialized Pokemon into the metagame at once impact it overall?
    • Which type combinations along with the starter types are best suited to maximizing the potential of a specific ability, and why?
  • Explanation - Competitive Pokemon has suffered from a massive power creep for a long time. In order for a Pokemon to be effective, not only does it have to be fairly good generally, it also can't be directly outclassed. Considering our Framework, our Pokemon are already competing against Heatran/Volcarona, Toxapex/Keldeo/Greninja, and Ferrothorn/Kartana for offensive or defensive roles. However, each of those Pokemon have their own flaws that give our FWG CAP Trio space to explore if we are focused on a key niche for each of them.

Let's take Grass for example, and Tough Claws. Tough Claws boosts one of the most incredibly CAP-relevant moves, Grass Knot, because it is a special contact attack. Only Mega Metagross ever even came close to utilizing this combination, and Mega-Meta was banned (for other reasons, of course). Grass could also use it's huge number of healing options with Triage, including priority Strength Sap that even outruns Bullet Punch. Nearly every Fire attack has a secondary effect chance perfect for Serene Grace or Sheer Force. Water has a few specific moves that would also love Serene Grace, but would also appreciate breaking through Gastrodon and Mollux with Mold Breaker. Suffice it to say, this concept gives us an ability to meet our Framework demands and think through a huge combination of synergistic types and abilities in a single project.

CAP 25g

Typing: Grass/Electric
Threats and Counters: https://www.smogon.com/forums/posts/7875516
Abilities: Overgrow/Galvanize
Stats: 84 HP / 106 Atk / 82 Def / 77 SpA / 80 SpD / 106 Spe
Movepool: https://www.smogon.com/forums/posts/7940333

Main Design: http://i.imgur.com/h4ONiEZ.png
Sprites: https://i.imgur.com/ZEVUxoP.png

CAP 25f

Typing: Fire/Ground
Threats and Counters: https://www.smogon.com/forums/posts/7870058
Abilities: Blaze/Technician
Stats: 88 HP / 116 Atk / 67 Def / 88 SpA / 78 SpD / 97 Spe
Movepool: https://www.smogon.com/forums/posts/7938469

Main Design: https://puu.sh/Bpzbz.jpg
Sprites: https://i.imgur.com/u1gqCib.png

CAP 25w

Typing: Water/Bug
Threats and Counters: https://www.smogon.com/forums/posts/7872739
Abilities: Torrent/Poison Heal
Stats: 91 HP / 94 Atk / 110 Def / 80 SpA / 97 SpD / 63 Spe
Movepool: https://www.smogon.com/forums/posts/7938726

Main Design: http://i.imgur.com/cYb87TB.jpg
Sprites: https://i.imgur.com/LsYKKSw.png

Last edited:
WIP

Caribolt, the Cannon Pokemon

Sun: Rivals spar in the mating season by launching prismatic blasts from their antlers. These showy displays avoid unnecessary injury.

Moon: It will charge fearlessly into battle, generating kinetic energy that electrifies its hooves and antlers.

Ultra Sun: Caribolt slowly converts solar energy into electromagnetic power. Its antlers can store enough electricity to last through months of darkness in the winter.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt prance splendidly during snowy nights leading up to the winter solstice. The reason for this behavior is unknown.

The wording of these submissions is definitely not final, and the lore is also a work in progress. The Sun entry is my favorite so far, because it explains Caribolt's good special movepool and low special attack with reasoning that makes sense for a large herbivore. The Moon entry is based around the Hidden Ability, Galvanize, while also describing Caribolt's warrior spirit. The Ultra Sun entry provides some justification for Caribolt's secondary typing that would be relevant and useful to a Grass-type living in an Arctic environment. The Ultra Moon entry is the most "fun" of the four and brings some holiday-themed levity to this majestic CAPmon.

Any feedback is very appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Caribolt, the Big Horn Pokémon

Sun: Its large antlers are able to conduct and store electricity. When it is startled it discharges an electromagnetic pulse as a warning.

Moon: The thick coat of leaves on its back rubs against itself, generating energy for it to use in its attacks. It sheds in autumn.

Ultra Sun: The sound of this Pokémon running through the forest has been compared to the ominous rumble of thunder. It is said to bring storms.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt are highly competitive. They issue challenges to one another by stamping their hooves and sending sparks flying from their large antlers.

I wanted to draw attention towards its large railgun antlers (without having to use the phrase railgun) as well as its strong hooves and foliage to accentuate its grass typing. I used Big Horn as its species as a parallel to Stantler another Stag, though I'm not 100% sure about it.

Last edited:
WIP

Caribolt, the Elk Pokémon

Sun: Caribolt often spar with each other and use their horns to brawl with it out with the winner getting their mate.

Moon: These Pokémon rake their antlers against trees in order to dominance and also for removing old velvet on their antlers when shedding.

Ultra Sun: It has the ability to shoot electricity that can reach up to 1,000,000,000 volts and a thin layer of velvet that helps in carrying its electricity in the antlers.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt are capable of living in cold climates and due to said climates lacking the shrubs and berries, it instead uses Delibird as nutrition.

Last edited:
WIP

Caribolt, the Eidolon Pokemon

Sun: It yields to those who find themselves hopeless. It's said Caribolt comes to grant salvation to lost souls.

Moon: Hunted down to nearly extinction for their exquisite antlers, these Pokémon are now only found in captivity.

Ultra Sun: When Caribolt finds itself in danger, it's antlers will glow eerily. Those who see this glow will hear the screams of their dead beloveds.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt are said to be spirits that reincarnated to redeem their sins. They will light up a path for lost souls to find their way in the afterlife.

I chose to give Caribolt a mythological vibe, referencing Eidolons, a greek myth of an aparition that comes to grant salvation to humans. It also references Final Fantasy's Eidolons. I also added some flavour for Boomburst as well as a dark, real life-accurate tone. Here are the explanations!
Sun: I referenced Final Fantasy in this entry. Eidolons are entities that come to grant a suffering L'Cie the death they crave or to make them realize they need to keep moving, granting them salvation. It also adds a dark vibe, common in SM and USUM dex entries.
Moon: For Moon, I decided to raise awareness about the poachers. It's a sad, serious matter that needs to be discussed.
Ultra Sun: I added some Electric-type flavour referencing the glow of Caribolt's antlers. It also references it's access to Boomburst and adds, again, a darker tone to the entries.
Ultra Moon: Another reference to Final Fantasy as well as greek mythology. I think it fits the ideas I wanted to give Caribolt very well.

Last edited:
WIP

Caribolt, the Electromagnet Pokemon

Sun: During the last ice age, Caribolt were found all over the world, but in the last hundred years they have had to migrate north to stay in cold climates.

Moon: Caribolt have a thin layer of velvet covering their antlers that helps in carrying electricity. It is said that Caribolt antlers are soft to the touch.

Ultra Sun: Caribot is a common sight in the northern latitudes. Locals say that a herd of Caribolt running sounds like thunder rolling across the land.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt compete with each other every spring by firing electric blasts from their antlers. The Caribolt with the biggest antlers tends to be the alpha of the herd.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Caribolt the Zap-Antler Pokémon.

Sun: It gains electricity by running at high speeds and can fire powerful electrical shocks using its antlers. It's rumoured that it can generate enough electricity to attract the legendary Pokémon Thundurus.

Moon: Caribolt are very competitive, and will often challenge each other to a duel in who can produce the biggest electrical discharge. Anything that steps foot near them will get an unpleasant shock.

Ultra Sun: They're very noble Pokémon and will not attempt to fight Pokémon that are weaker than itself, but will instead help train them up, making them known as the mentors of the forests.

Ultra Moon: They're very noble in nature and are known for having high standards, making Caribolt a difficult Pokémon for inexperienced trainers to take care of.

Last edited:
WIP

Caribolt, the Druid Pokémon

Sun: In dark and gloomy woods, It has been known to guide lost people and Pokémon to safety by using its antlers to light up the way.

Moon: The electricity it discharges as it walks provide nutrients to the plants below, allowing them to flourish in areas that Caribolt pass through.

Ultra Sun: Its antlers are powered by copious amounts of solar energy. It can launch a burst of lightning from them that is powerful enough to pierce through an armored vehicle.

Ultra Moon: During the winter months, red berries grow in abundance on its pelt. It will travel far and wide to share these with those who are hungry.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Caribolt, the Majestic Pokemon

Sun: Rather than damage their antlers in combat, male Caribolt compete with each other during mating season by firing long range bolts of lightning at each other.

Moon: Caribolt are a proud species which values strength above everything else. If their trainer is not at their desired level, the Caribolt won't think twice to abandon them.

Ultra Sun: Caribolt's antlers are massive natural batteries, in which it stores converted kinetic energy from long runs for use in battle

Ultra Moon: Legend has it that a trainer once taught Caribolt to fly with magnetism. The trainer then used a herd to fly him through the cold winter night.

Last edited:

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

Caribolt, the Lightning Antlers Pokemon.

Sun: There is enough electricity in Caribolt’s antlers to power a whole region for one day.

Moon: Prized for its antlers, this Pokemon is a common target for poaching.

Ultra Sun: It is unknown how Caribolt creates its electricity, but it is believed the food they eat contains small amounts of electricity.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt’s population is remarkably low. If even one Caribolt were to die, the population would be lowered by one percent.

Last edited:
JAGFL I usually just browse the cap forums because I find the cap process interesting, but I absolutely had to say something about your last dex entry. If I'm right, even one caribolt dying lowering the population by 15% means there's literally 7 caribolt in existence, which probably isn't what you're going for. Thought you might want the heads up.

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
WIP

Caribolt, the Lightning Antlers Pokemon.

Sun: There is enough electricity in Caribolt’s antlers to power a whole region for one day.

Moon: Prized for its antlers, this Pokemon is a common target for poaching.

Ultra Sun: It is unknown how Caribolt creates its electricity, but it is believed the food they eat contains small amounts of electricity.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt’s population is remarkably low. If even one Caribolt were to die, the population would be lowered by fifteen percent.
If one Caribolt makes of 15% of the population, that means there are six and two thirds Caribolts in existence. 10% or 12.5% would make more sense.

WIP

Caribolt, the Venerable Pokemon

Sun: Renowned for its noble spirit and its legendary speed, Caribolt is often viewed as the forests' greatest protector. It fires bolts of electricity from its antlers to defend its ward.

Moon: With hoofbeats that rumble like thunder and antlers that flash like aurorae, Caribolt can intimidate even the bravest Pokemon. Most witnesses to a Caribolt's rage flee within seconds.

Ultra Sun: Each point on its antlers is capable of discharging billions of volts. If Caribolt were to unleash its full power, the result would be visible from outer space.

Ultra Moon: It is thought to be one of the oldest recorded species of Pokemon. An anthropological expedition in the Kalos region discovered cave paintings bearing Caribolt's likeness.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
WIP

Caribolt, the Bolt Antler Pokemon

Sun: Caribolt's diet consists primarily of wild berries, in particular Aspear and Yache berries. By using electro-magnetism, Caribolt is capable of launching the seeds of these berries from between its antlers.

Moon: During the winter solstice, Caribolt will shed their antlers. The antlers are valued as highly efficient batteries, but if they are taken by force, they will discharge immediately!

Ultra Sun: This Pokemon's railgun-like horns are so loud that they have been known to disrupt the hibernation of Ursaring. Trainers are expected to prevent their Caribolt from using their railgun after sunset.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt are excellent sledge pullers, notable for their strength and ability to generate a gentle, constant light.

Last edited:
WIP

Caribolt, the Charging Pokémon

Sun: Caribolt are able to generate electricity by galloping. When they store too much electricity, they discharge from their antlers with a loud bang.

Moon: Whenever many Caribolt gather at night, the resulting magnetic charge makes small, glowing particles appear. From far away, this looks like a starry sky.

Ultra Sun: Caribolt can cause a lot of sound disturbance whenever they discharge electricity. To prevent this, trainers should let their Caribolt battle frequently.

Ultra Moon: It is said that Caribolt are able to levitate using magnetism. However, nobody has ever been able to confirm this.

Last edited:
WIP

Caribolt, the Light Pokémon

Sun: Caribolt are often associated with the holiday season due to one famous Caribolt that allegedly pulled a sleigh with presents around the world in a single night.

Moon: Caribolt's antlers shine like a flashlight, but at double the luminescence, making them superb at search-and-rescue.

Ultra Sun: Caribolt are patient and loyal, making them an excellent choice for novice Trainers. They store a lot of electricity in their horns, so caution is still advised.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt are able to run over 150 mph, allowing them to evade predatory Pokémon like Lycanroc and Ursaring. Their horns give them away, however, so trying to hide is unfortunately useless.

Final Submission

Caribolt, the Arctic Elk Pokémon

Sun: Caribolt's antlers can fire off bolts of electricity like a railgun. These bursts can go faster than 4000 miles per hour and have enough energy to power small towns.

Moon: This Pokémon is highly territorial. When two Caribolt claim the same land, thunderous booms can be heard for miles around.

Ultra Sun: This Pokémon seems to have a deep connection to nature. They can stand in the forest for months on end, never eating or drinking.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt makes use of a limited form of photosynthesis by filtering light through its antlers. It can convert this energy to power its electric attacks.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Caribolt, the Eidolon Pokémon

Sun: It yields to those who find themselves hopeless. It's said Caribolt comes to grant salvation to lost souls.

Moon: Hunted down to nearly extinction for their exquisite antlers, these Pokémon are now only found in captivity.

Ultra Sun: When Caribolt finds itself in danger, its antlers will glow eerily. Those who see this glow will hear the screams of their dead beloveds.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt are said to be spirits that reincarnated to redeem their sins. They will light up a path for lost souls to find their way in the afterlife.

I chose to give Caribolt a mythological vibe, referencing Eidolons, a greek myth of an aparition that comes to grant salvation to humans. It also references Final Fantasy's Eidolons. I also added some flavour for Boomburst as well as a dark, real life-accurate tone. Here are the explanations!
Sun: I referenced Final Fantasy in this entry. Eidolons are entities that come to grant a suffering L'Cie the death they crave or to make them realize they need to keep moving, granting them salvation. It also adds a dark vibe, common in SM and USUM dex entries.
Moon: For Moon, I decided to raise awareness about the poachers. It's a sad, serious matter that needs to be discussed.
Ultra Sun: I added some Electric-type flavour referencing the glow of Caribolt's antlers. It also references it's access to Boomburst and adds, again, a darker tone to the entries.
Ultra Moon: Another reference to Final Fantasy as well as greek mythology. I think it fits the ideas I wanted to give Caribolt very well.

Final Submission

Caribolt, the Elk Pokémon

Sun: Caribolt often spar with each other and use their horns to brawl with it out with the winner getting their mate. The loser will try attracting Miltank using their horns to get shrubs on them.

Moon: These Pokémon rake their antlers against trees in order to dominance and to remove old velvet layers on their antlers when shedding. It has a chance of accidentally zapping the tree.

Ultra Sun: It has the ability to shoot electricity that can reach up to 1,000,000,000 volts along with a thin layer of velvet that assists it in carrying its electricity in the antlers.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt are capable of living in cold climates and due to said climates lacking the shrubs and berries, it instead uses Delibird as nutrition. Although it has a grudging face when eating a Delibird.

Elk: I decided on this as Caribolt is based on an Elk
Sun and Moon: These are based on real life things Elks do. The brawling is based on the mating season of an Elk where they brawl each other for mates using their antlers and the tree rubbing being when elks assert their dominance or attract Cows.
Ultra Sun: I intended the volts to reference the japanese name of Thunderbolt being 100,000 Volts and the velvet referencing how the antlers of Elks can get velvet layers on them which they can shed off
Ultra Moon: This was a reference on the coat of an elk and how it lives in the northern hemisphere. Delibird is because of CAP making it the butt monkey in its early days and then it ended up taking a slightly disturbing route when you realize its deer eating Santa birds.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Caribolt, the Majestic Deer Pokemon

Sun: Rather than damage their antlers in combat, male Caribolt compete with each other during mating season by firing long range bolts of lightning at each other.

Moon: Caribolt are a proud species which value strength above everything else. If their trainer is not at their desired level, Caribolt won't think twice to abandon them.

Ultra Sun: Caribolt's antlers are massive natural batteries, in which it stores converted kinetic energy from long runs for use in battle.

Ultra Moon: Legend has it that a trainer once taught Caribolt to fly with magnetism. The trainer then used a herd to fly him through the cold winter night.

Caribolt has an aura of magnificence, plus a smug "I am better than you" attitude, in its design and pose, so I felt that giving it the species name "Majestic Deer" was fitting.

The Sun entry deals with Caribolt and its prideful nature, not wanting to damage its antlers in combat, so it uses electrical attacks instead.

Caribolt's moon entry goes further into this idea, showcasing that Caribolt only wishes to train with the absolute best, and it won't stand for mediocrity.

US's entry deals with how Caribolt obtains and stores its electricity. Its common amongst other entries to go the "converting kinetic energy to electrical energy", and I loved it, so I went with it.

UM's is a neat little bow to tie up all that wonderful Christmas flavour, being so on the nose the only way to make it any more obvious is to say jolly Saint Nick's name himself.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Caribolt, the Druid Pokémon

Sun: In dark and gloomy woods, It has been known to guide lost people and Pokémon to safety by using its antlers to light up the way.

Moon: The electricity it discharges as it walks provide nutrients to the plants below, allowing them to flourish in areas that Caribolt pass through.

Ultra Sun: Its antlers are powered by copious amounts of solar energy. It can launch a burst of lightning from them that is powerful enough to pierce through an armored vehicle.

Ultra Moon: During the winter months, red berries grow in abundance on its pelt. It will travel far and wide to share these with those who are hungry.

I wanted to focus a little more on the grass part of Caribolt, since this is the grass starter after all. Obligatory Christmas/gift-giving reference in the UM entry.

Final Submission

Caribolt, the Generator Pokémon

Sun: Unlike other Electric-type Pokémon, it uses the power of nature to charge up it's electric horns. Those horns are shocking enough to render even a Dragonite unconscious.

Moon: At night time, this Pokémon's horns light up the entire forest it lives in, allowing Pokémon who are lost at night to find their nests.

Ultra Sun: When this Pokémon was first discovered, due to it's rarity at the time and it's unique ability to light up the way for the lost, it was considered a Legendary Pokémon.

Ultra Moon: Before a law was enforced to ban Pokémon poaching overall, poachers would capture this Pokémon and use their horns to power generators before selling them.

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Caribolt, the Big Horn Pokémon

Sun: Its large antlers are able to conduct and store electricity. When it is startled it discharges an electromagnetic pulse as a warning to would-be predators.

Moon: The thick coat of leaves on its back rubs against itself, generating energy for it to use in its attacks. It sheds in autumn.

Ultra Sun: The sound of this Pokémon running through the forest has been compared to the ominous rumble of thunder. It is said to bring storms.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt are highly competitive. They issue challenges to one another by stamping their hooves and sending sparks flying from their large antlers.

I wanted to draw attention towards Caribolt's large railgun antlers (without having to use the phrase railgun) in its entries, as well as its strong hooves and foliage to accentuate its Grass typing. I choseBig Horn as its species name, as a parallel to Stantler, because there is often some overlap. I mention autumn as a season to pay homage to the Elk's real life habitat without having to go too much in the direction of Ice-type flavour.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Final Submission

Caribolt, the Bolt Antler Pokemon

Sun: Caribolt's diet consists primarily of wild berries, in particular Aspear and Yache berries. By using electro-magnetism, Caribolt is capable of launching the seeds of these berries from between its antlers.

Moon: During the winter solstice, Caribolt will shed their antlers. The antlers are valued as batteries, but if they are taken by force, they will discharge immediately!

Ultra Sun: This Pokemon's railgun-like horns are so loud that they have been known to disrupt the hibernation of Ursaring. Trainers are expected to prevent their Caribolt from using their railgun after sunset.

Ultra Moon: Caribolt are excellent sledge pullers, notable for their strength and ability to generate a gentle, constant light.

Caribolt has two key feaatures - a tendency towards wintry themes... and a giant set of antlers.

For the Sun entry, I wanted to play on the idea of diet - this is something that I believe a decent number of Gen 7 dex entries tend to use. The idea of 'seeds as ammunition' is also cool with the railgun angle. And whilst seeds probably wouldn't actually work, in Pokemon berries are capable of surviving moves like Eruption, Sheer Cold, and Gunk Shot - I can't see the power of magnetism being the deciding factor in making them explode.

Meanwhile in Moon, I've used the standard pattern of how antlers are shed - and it makes sense that they would have some residual energy, which makes them more appropriate for batteries, since they could be sized appropriately (for regular power grids, they're not exactly a high priority given the sheer volume of Electric-type mons that must be powering that). I included that humans can't take them by force in order to avoid a case of Caribolt being hunted (because that would suck).

Ultra Sun pretty directly references Boomburst, which I can see the dire consequences of - especially if a trainer was to have Caribolt practicing using the move in the middle of a city at night. At one point this entry was going to be something like "If there's nobody around to hear it, then there is still no question that a Caribolt's railgun firing makes a lot of sound", but it didn't feel dexy (technical term!) enough.

Finally, Ultra Moon builds on previously established Festive/Rudolph flavour in a subtle manner. I also wanted a shorter dex entry to contrast against the generally longer entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)