CAP 25 - Part 6 - CAP 25f Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

Fire and Ground together made me think of ash, which is essentially soil created by fire. So I knew I wanted to start with ash as the basic concept. When thinking of animals that suited it, I looked at the zodiac sign Sagittarius, which is a Fire sign represented by a centaur. Ashes and horses together reminded me of the novel Black Beauty, which is about a solid black, beautiful horse.

The idea is a feminine centaur (though her animal features are more pronounced than her human ones) who is solid black owing to the fact that she's completely coated in ash and soot. The design will more or less be sold on the coloring to come later, as it's pretty simplistic without it. Traces of her natural white coloring will be visible from underneath, while her long mane will have the colors of burning cinders, or perhaps cover the whole spectrum from cooler red and orange flames to the hotter blue and white.

WIP

These are Carmadillo's colours rn. I ned to add a whole lot of flair since people convinced me to reduce the number of segments in the carapace quite drastically, but at least the palette seems to be looking very nice.

EDIT: posting an updated version here because significant changes happened in a short amount of time. Tried to make it more distinct following a couple recommendations. Still needs some cleanup, although I really like the coarser lines and the look it gives the drawing. Also testing with face beads of the magma to try and make the face less basic.

Now, to take like three weeks to get a pose right

Last edited:
WIP

So my thought process went like this:
*looks up Great Pyrenees* Hmm...pyre... *scrolls a bit* It’s a mountain dog... *instant inspiration*
Hopefully the Fire and Ground typing will be shown once I find time to draw and color this doggy digitally. In the meantime, feedback heavily appreciated!

Pharaoh Spinosaurus that swims through lava. Since my grass submission is anthropomorphic, I wanted this one to be a little more monstrous. I was Definitely inspired by Agnaktor for Monster Hunter, hahaha.
I love this one, quite literally miles more than any other suggestion so far. It feels the most natural, and really caltures the typing well IMHO.

Final Submission - DQ

Certain types of volcanos kind of look like molehills and this moleboi brings Pompeii back to life like it's nobody's business. He scraps his armour together from clay like a pottery-pro; making himself look like something you'd find on an old Greek phase. He's even got a cherry-coloured flame on top just so you can see how much of a boss (read: centurion) he really is.

Supporting Material
Why would you even want to look at this (sketch.)

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP

The concept is based around Cerberus... just like Houndoom, I know.... but I think my interpretation is more faithful to the original myth. While Cerberus is mostly known as the Guardian of the Overworld, and thus strongly associated with the Fire element, it was also the deity of the "Bare Ground": the "Divine hound that devours all", a metaphore on how everything disappears if buried deep in the ground. So it's a perfect candidate for a Fire/Ground Pokémon.

Obviously Cerberus was a three-headed dog, but three heads make for a busy design (if you're not named Hydreigon), so I decided to replace two of them with "fire-mouths"; Cerberus fur was also made of worms which is frankly quite disgusting, so I settled with a worm tail.

As you can see, for the design I worked around the idea of Terracotta ceramic ("Terracotta" means, quite literally, "baked ground"). The collar is composed of jars, or urns if you like, linking it to the Overwordly theme; only two of them are actually spitfires. Hounds made of Terracotta were also put as guardians in Etruscan and Roman tombs, probably referincing Cerberus' myth.

While I'm pretty content with che concept around my submission, I'm not too sure about the proportions and the color palette. Only the Terracotta parts are 'set in stone' color-wise, so I'm opened to suggestions for everything else (pls don't make me beg for them :'( ).

Last edited:
WIP
The concept is based around Cerberus... just like Houndoom, I know.... but I think my interpretation is more faithful to the original myth. While Cerberus is mostly known as the Guardian of the Overworld, and thus strongly associated with the Fire element, it was also the deity of the "Bare Ground": the "Divine hound that devours all", a metaphore on how everything disappears if buried deep in the ground. So it's a perfect candidate for a Fire/Ground Pokémon.

Obviously Cerberus was a three-headed dog, but three heads make for a busy design (if you're not named Hydreigon), so I decided to replace two of them with "fire-mouths"; Cerberus fur was also made of worms which is frankly quite disgusting, so I settled with a worm tail.

As you can see, for the design I worked around the idea of Terracotta ceramic ("Terracotta" means, quite literally, "baked ground"). The collar is composed of jars, or urns if you like, linking it to the Overwordly theme; only two of them are actually spitfires. Hounds made of Terracotta were also put as guardians in Etruscan and Roman tombs, probably referincing Cerberus' myth.

While I'm pretty content with che concept around my submission, I'm not too sure about the proportions and the color palette. Only the Terracotta parts are 'set in stone' color-wise, so I'm opened to suggestions for everything else (pls don't make me beg for them :'( ).
I think you’ve got an awesome idea here. My problem right now is that this design feels like a middle evolution (Torracat, Bayleef, Pignite, etc) Maybe if it was taller and had more complexity to its jar mane it would feel like a final starter. Reading your description sounds awesome, and I’m rooting for you to be able to pull off this idea.

WIP2

Managed to take this concept a little further- honestly I dont think it needs too much touchup past this point apart from if a weird ability gets picked but I would love to hear some feedback regardless ^^
Apparently the hands are a little hard to read right now, but its supposed to have white knuckles and then smoke as gauntlet-like things. Im imagining in a fight it can generate more smoke to increase the size of its gauntlets or launch cloud fists at enemies.

Last edited:

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
certain types of volcanos kind of look like molehills. this is my excuse.
colors were chosen based on greek pottery.
and while i was running with that theme i might as well put the cherry-coloured flame on top.

i regret nothing.
I really like this, big strong mon and then a face like Cyndaquil. Makes it look adorable.

Modedit: Remove images when quoting someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP
A fancy pigeon gentleman! Completing my trio of magical girl, tokusatsu hero, and phantom thief.
The theme for the design is "ashes". Its feathers are charred black and its wing feathers have burned off. Leaving it to run on the dirt. I also refined the griffin design if that's preferable. IDK at this point, I'd like them all to be bipedal I think.
Really love the design of this, it reminds me of a certain Phantom Thief! Can't wait for you to fill it out with more details!

WIP

Finally got a computer so mocked up a better concept of my magma minotaur

Still verrrry rough, but hopefully shows off the volcanic ash concept better. Not sure if I love the shoulder things. Also worried it looks too fighting type but hey, Incineroar is a buff fire type with no fighting typing. Critique appreciated!

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Modpost

Art submissions for CAP 25 will be closing at least 48 hours after stat submission threads close! Be sure to get your final submissions in by that time, and make sure that your submission follows the rules in the opening post exactly! This tool can help your image meet the technical requirements. Be aware, however, that it is not a comprehensive legality checker.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
WIP

The Flaming Camahueto

Camahueto is a mythical creature of South America. It's describe as a goat and its associated with destruction.
The concept also fits with the "tradition" of use Chinese Zodiac for Fire Starters.
I made it skinny, inspired in Scizor (for Technician ability). Its wool is black like a smog cloud.

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

recycled my 25g design into fire instead!
based on a flaming mole with some slight pangolin and armadillo influences, and has elements of a samurai/oni to go alon with it.

colors are up to debate, but the general design is pretty final

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
recycled my 25g design into fire instead!
based on a flaming mole with some slight pangolin and armadillo influences, and has elements of a samurai/oni to go alon with it.

colors are up to debate, but the general design is pretty final
This is it Chief.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
http://oi64.tinypic.com/107pgr9.jpg

Current sketch of an Igor hyena. :) Thanks to Darquezze, Golurkyourself, Nemmy, ShunosaurusLii, and wulfanator72 for feedback! If you have feedback, I'd love to hear it!

Edit: Made the hyena less of a scheming henchman and made him more of a crazy old geezer! I wanted to push the design a little more, and I got the inspiration to use a bone as a walking stick and overall tip the design towards the crazy. :)

http://oi64.tinypic.com/k4j8t1.jpg

Thanks to Darquezze for ideas!

Edit 2: Added shading, polished the lines, and made the tail scruffier.

Last edited:
FINAL SUBMISSION

The fire sail pokemon. The heat from its body dries up the ground it walks on. It will lay down in dried mud cracks to ambush its prey.

This design was a lot of fun to make. It is primarily based on a Dimetrodon, though really its got a lot of inspiration from Postosuchus and other early reptiles, with a little bit of cheetah mixed in. PS has anyone else ever dried drawing mud cracks? They're hard.

EDIT: Added Supporting Material
Sketches of Additional Poses

Last edited:
Final Submission

Good ol' support art

Coal Cobra is up and ready!

Some background for random people here, this Cobra (should look like as if it) is made out of coals, and has a coal crown to go with it!

Thanks to
er
everyone who gave me advice!

Also gl everyone!

Last edited:

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
WIP

Succumbing to the zodiac, Technician and the possibility of a bone move has led me to this design: a fiery rabbit shaman/scavenger! Hiding behind its skully mask, it attacks with jet black carbonized and burnt bones. Ground type is linked through the general use of bones, the previously mentioned carbonized bone ash, and it being directly based on desert-faring rabbits, after all, where do you think it can get all those bones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)