CAP 25 - Part 6 - CAP 25g Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could really use some feedback on what y'all like! Please look at all three and let me know what you prefer.
This is awesome! I definitely like the one you posted the best. My one critique would be that it’s teeth feel just a little bit too long or too big. I know sabertooth cats have long teeth, but right now they’re so big that it looks like it’s mouth can’t actually function. Maybe you could make its snout bigger, and keep the big teeth too?

Of the three you've posted, I like the one you've posted as an image the most, although i'm not entirely sure on the whole lightning jagged teeth personally. Perhaps the teeth could be more shaped like that?

Prototypetrainer I love this design!

Pipotchi you have a serious talent, one of my favourite suggestions for the typing. I also loved the Thorny Devil design, I hope that there's another CAP that can allow you to use that somewhere!

StephXPM absolutely love the maniacal monkey.

Magistrum if it wasn't for the recent influx of beautiful designs, this one would have had my top vote.

BlueberryBlanket this too is a close top. I especially like the colouration.

Kyrads Yilx, I hope you can finish your designs, they are lovely.

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
Final Submission

Going with the theme of prehistoric grass starters, this design is based on pterodactyls, and pterosaurs in general, the South African mythical creature known as the lightning bird (and the bird associated with it, the hammerkop), and lightning rods.

Its tail-end acts as a trident-shaped lightning rod, a tool used to hack and slash prey, and even potentially an electrical cannon! Its maw is based on crocodile clips, used to create electrical connections, and its wings resemble leaves with electrical markings/hotspots.

Like another winged Grass starter, Decidueye, it stands primarily on the ground, but has the capability to fly, potentially going at high speeds by using electricity, allowing it to have a variety of possible speed tiers while being able to use quick going moves like Extremespeed. Fangs, claws and a spiked tail allow it to excel in physical power.

Supporting Material:
1. Size
2. Character/Model Sheet (warning: over 500kB)
3. Group Shot

Thanks a lot for the support from everyone at Discord that helped out, and I hope you guys enjoy this design!

Last edited:
Final Submission
The theme of this design is "amber" and "magical girl". Amber is fossilized tree resin, and it's what "electricity" is named after because of its electrostatic properties. Following a Japanese trope theme for my subs, this design is patterned after Sailor Moon, a magical girl. Based on feedback, I added an animal base, so a rabbit came naturally.

We've been blessed with a neutral ability with Galvanize so not much issue there.

Rear:

Last edited:

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

UPDATE 17/9: Due to 109 Speed, I've changed it into an Electric Rodent

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Supporting sketches:
Tweaked the perspective and lineart of the punk giraffe!

This design definitely took the most iterations to figure out. I wanted to do a giraffe because they're herbivores, which fits Grass, and they're lean and yellow, which fits Electric. I went over a lot of possible secondary themes until I found one that worked the way I wanted to into the design! I first wanted to go with dendrites, since they send nerve impulses in an organism (Electric), and they're named after the Greek word for "tree" (Grass), but that looked goofy. Then I used the negative space between a giraffe's spots to emulate lightning, but that was bland. I tried out a more cartoonish giraffe and a horizontal giraffe after that, but I ultimately wanted another theme for it. When Galvanize was in the running, I tried incorporating an electric guitar, but the design element was too artificial on a starter 'mon. I ended up removing the guitar part but keeping the aesthetic in what would become a punk giraffe.

So! The giraffe's prominent eyelashes and mane are transformed into intense eyeshadow and a mohawk. The horns have become Angel's Trumpets, as "trumpets" pair well with Galvanize + Normal-type sound moves. Coincidentally, Angel's Trumpets have five petals, so I added stars as a pattern around the design, like a rock musician's "star power". The five-pointed star at the base of the neck invokes giant, flashy collars, and the tufts of grass at the ankles resemble ripped fabric. This giraffe is ready to rock your world!

This 'mon is a good fit for CAP 25g's stats, given how lithe it is (speed) and how it'll stick its hooves in your 'mon's business (physical attack). :P

Last edited:
Golurkyourself Your art is absolutely stunning in my opinion. You perfectly nailed the dual-typing too. The only issue I could see (but even then, my vote will easily go for you) is that the desgn fits what could be a female-only Pokemon to me, and if I'm not mistaken none of the existing starters are in that case. With that being said, some other Mon like Primarina are in that case, so it could end up not being a problem in the slightest. Once again, excellent design!

Final Submission

Supporting Sketch
Starter Trio

Heres my final sub. Its inspired by a white rhino, triceratops and lightning-struck birch tree! As I mentioned before its inspired by it being one of my favourite animals and I was inspired by the near-extinct status of the white rhino to finish up. I ended up doing this design after flitting between a fair few others, but once I landed on this one I made it in its final design basically instantly and it just worked nicely for me- once I got the color scheme in my head that I wanted to use it all came out right away. For physical attacks it can charge at other pokemon, and for ranged attacks it can use its lightning-charged horn for ranged assault!

I might edit this later with reference drawings or wait to see if it makes further polls before doing so

Final Submission

Let's hope I did this right for posting the image. Basically its a scorpion with a flower as part of it that uses photosynthesis to gather energy to use to create electricity. Again, lets hope I did this right.
Both probably exceed that 500 KB limit. Maybe. Click at your own risk. Idk.
Lack of Electrical Energy, from not getting enough photosynthesis or whatever: https://i.imgur.com/6syDP3r.png
Some Expressions for fun I guess: https://i.imgur.com/s7Lc2qo.png

A pineapple bear. That is actually just incredible how well those two ideas blend. I don't really see "electric" in it besides yellow, but of all the designs I think Yilx has my money for coolest mon in here so far.

Final Submission

Supporting Sketch
Starter Trio

Heres my final sub. Its inspired by a white rhino, triceratops and lightning-struck birch tree! As I mentioned before its inspired by it being one of my favourite animals and I was inspired by the near-extinct status of the white rhino to finish up. I ended up doing this design after flitting between a fair few others, but once I landed on this one I made it in its final design basically instantly and it just worked nicely for me- once I got the color scheme in my head that I wanted to use it all came out right away. For physical attacks it can charge at other pokemon, and for ranged attacks it can use its lightning-charged horn for ranged assault!

I might edit this later with reference drawings or wait to see if it makes further polls before doing so

This looks fantastic! However, I don't really see anything that really looks electrical, so I'd change some of the body patters to electric blue/yellow to look like it's full of electricity. Again, just a suggestion, but this is easily my fave design.

Modedit: Remove images when quoting a post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Final Submission
MAIN DESIGN

This is my CAP 25G Design entry, based on the Irish Elk.

SUPPORTING MATERIAL

Design Justification

(click image for hi-res version exceeding 500kb)
I chose the Irish Elk as a base animal because it can easily exude a grass-type vibe for being a forest-dweller. While quadruped starters got shafted in the recent generations's trends, it is more forgiving to have a Grass quadruped starter because of precedents like Venusaur, Meganium and Torterra.

For the design elements, I opted for prickly leaves like the Holly on the fur to bring out a decent mesh of Grass and Electric typing, at least color scheme-wise. For Grass type visual cues, the neck is made to look like a tree trunk with the horns as exposed branches and the mane as the foliage. "Roots" dangle around the legs. Lightning hooves and horns made to loosely resemble a Railgun's nozzle are added to support the Electric typing more.

As a design quirk, I wanted to give a jobclass theme amongst my starters, much like what has been done on the Gen 6 and 7 ones. This design in particular follows a Druid-class aesthetic, which the Irish Elk naturally portrays. Although Druids throughout RPGs differ slightly in role, they are mostly casters that can transmogrify into beasts (mostly deer, bears or birds of prey), use healing spells, and use the forces of nature like earth, wind and lightning; a good fit for Grass/Electric for sure.
Abilities and Stats
Galvanize is easily represented by the aforementioned Railgun Horns, as the only canon Galvanize Pokemon, Alolan Golem, shares the same inspiration.

84 HP / 106 Atk / 82 Def / 77 SpA / 80 SpD / 106 Spe
Irish Elk, to be honest, just fits this stat spread to a T. To give comparison, the canon deermons have these stat spreads:
Stantler: 73/95/62/85/65/85 (465)
Sawsbuck: 80/100/60/70/60/95 (475)
Xerneas: 126/131/95/131/98/99 (680)
You can see a pattern here: they all have their defenses relatively around the same value, they have a sizable Atk stat, and relatively high speed. While Xerneas, as a legendary mon with 680 BST, has mixed offenses, it still follows relatively the same distribution of stats.
Supporting Art
AB
C
D E F

(A-C) Initial Iterations, (D) Zap Cannon, (E) Proposed Size, (F) Starter Group Pic (click image for hi-res version exceeding 500kb)

CLOSING REMARKS
CAP25 is definitely one of the more exciting CAPs to date. 25G in particular is something I want to mold into the potential winning stats by further tweaking the design, but my IRL circumstances (basically vacation) can't afford me to wait. Thanks to everyone in this thread and in CAP Discord for all the feedback and support given to this design. Good luck to everyone~!

Edit 9/17/18: Added stats justification

Last edited:

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Supporting Material

This design is based on Binturongs and Peace Lilies! The bright bulbs inside this Pokemon's ears and tail help it to guide lost travellers through thick vegetation at night. The bulbs produce a thick bioluminescent pollen. This Pokemon is popular among back-country campers because of its ability to provide a soft glowing light at nighttime and its capability in battle against wild Pokemon.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
As per this post, you have at least 48 hours until art submissions close. Remember to follow all of the rules in the opening post of the art thread if you want your designs to be included in the polls!

I've updated the opening post in the thread with the stats for CAP 25, for reference.

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Based on that one chameleon with the horn on its face and that one gecko with the really fat tail. Thematically, I went with a fencer/swordsman kind of thing, so I gave it royal-looking clothing for its design.

Cotton grows on its head and butt area that stores electricity, and is able to use the thorns coming out of them to shoot lightning. The quills are removable, with the head spikes being used as thrown weaponry while the 2 hip spikes being used similar to spears.

Hopefully it comes across as Electric despite it not being very visible!

Supporting Art:
Different Views
Size Comparisons

Final Submission

Supporting art
1- Size vs a 1.4m Tall Trainer.
2- The Squad! (500+ Kb warning)

Alright, here I present my parasaurolophus design which is heavily inspired by bio-luminescent vegetation. It's the biggest of the three designs in my mind, and electricity runs internally through its body as a result of chemical reactions. These reactions are what create the glowing patterns on its skin, and allow it to send shocks out of both the crest on its head and the flower on its tail.

In my mind it would fish by dropping its lotus-like flower into the water and sending a shock to paralyze fishes. The ability of utilizing its bio-energy to electrify normal attacks also fits the idea of Galvanize, especially with more physical moves where it could slam its electrified parts for the required effect. However, special options could also be explained as being fired from the electric flower on its tail.

Many thanks to everyone on discord who helped me with this design, and very special mentions to Pip, Golurkyourself and especially Sunfished. The three of them were the ones pushing me the farthest in terms of making my design better and more memorable, and Sun in particular helped me a ton with sounding out details and showing me new approaches to my design. I'm a bit shocked that I managed to final sub all three of these, really. This has been an amazing experience for me, and I thank everyone for helping me along the way.

Last edited:
Final Submission - DQ

1537190885012.png

Unfortunately didn't have a ton of time to do shading or turnarounds etc.

Anyway! This mon is based on Porcupines, Giant Ground Sloths and Aloe Vera. I wanted to pick a spiky plant to convey electricity. However, I wanted to make the mon almost look like it had a normal subtyping to play up Galvanize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)