CAP 25 - Part 6 - CAP 25w Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

An aquatic scorpio that use synergy with mussels : he protect them and they fight for him (like throw some water abilities for example, or use their shells as claws)

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Huge huge huge WIP.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/33dw0f5.jpg

The tardigrade, or "water bear", is an awesome idea for CAP 25w. Tardigrades are microscopic organisms that are known for enduring a huge variety of environments, up to and including the vacuum of space. Being microscopic, they're a good fit for the Bug type. Being "water" bears and them being quite blobby and plump makes them a good fit for the Water type. Being "bears", they're a good fit for starters, as starters are animal-based. (And I've had a tardigrade fakemon lying around for seven years.... XD)

Now, I've been having troubles designing a face that matches the current criteria of the CAP. Most Bugs have very non-standard faces. E.g., compound eyes, pincers, a hidden mouth, etc. On the other hand, starters have very "normal" and cartoonish-looking faces. I've been struggling with making a face that fits both requirements. The mouth is a placeholder, and I've yet to figure out what to do with the eyes.

Birkal, FriesforNapkins, DrapionSwing, Pip, Reiga, spooktune, and Kyrads gave me a ton of feedback over Discord. They are stellar people for that. :) I've tried a bunch of different faces, and I'm still not sure which one to take. Pip gave a good recommendation of including another theme. Maybe I'll wait until Ability is decided to get inspiration on what direction to take the design. Maybe I'll change gears entirely, since the actual anatomy of a water bear probably fit an Ultra Beast better than a starter.

Click here for a collection of face ideas drawn last night. Feedback on what direction to take is super appreciated.

As always, if you haven't already, stop by the CAP Discord server if you'd like real-time discussion and feedback on designs!

--

EDIT 8/4/18: It seems like people prefer a more cute water bear! I iterated on the face a bunch more, using Meganium and Goodra as inspiration for the eyes and antennae. I also added a "coat" on its back, inspired by Pipotchi's Marinox and Reiga's nudibranch.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2exr190.jpg

Thanks to Birkal, Darquezze, DrapionSwing, Friesfornapkins, Jordy, Mova, Plazzap, Reiga, spooktune, StephanXPM, Zephias, and a few others I forgot for their feedback. :)

--

Edit 8/4/18 (2):

Put in a rough lineart and added a preliminary set of colors! Thanks to Darquezze, Plazzap, Pipotchi, S.Court, SHSP, Sgt.Moose, Shunosaurus, spooktune, and TwilightWing for feedback.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/sqi2x0.jpg

--

Edit 8/7/18:

Put in a rough set of shading! Thanks to Kyrads, Mova, TwilightWing, and Zephias for feedback. I'll make the outlines not just black later.

Last edited:

Early WIP for a Fishing Scorpion idea. Struggled with the face in particular, but I'd love any feedback on the concept. I'll post some feedback for everyone else ASAP!

WIP

First sketch for my CAP entry. After a series of iterations i eventually worked my way towards something that hopefully looks somewhat starter-y.

Based primarily on the whirligig beetle for the large paddle arms as well as diving beetles and scuba divers. I decided to go for a deep sea diver motif with feelers like snorkels, flipper like feet and hands and scuba goggles as well as an air tank which serves as an air jet (shown in the support art) to propel itself through the water to compensate its bulky frame and allowing it to be an effective diving predator. While water beetles seem to be the obvious choice i wanted to stylise it in a way that would make the most sense for being a starter pokemon and secondary bug. I love beetle pokemon and bug type pokemon in general so this was the perfect opportunity for me.

Decided despite its bulky look i wanted to make it look fairly streamlined and sleek (like an actual water beetle) to fit that diver motif. I also went for a darker upper body and lighter underbelly to make it effectively camoflaged underwater (akin to the great white shark) making it an even better predator. As for fitting the prompt i think between the bulk and hopefully starter ish look I shouldve done well.

I will do a more refined drawing next week most likely but unfortunately ive been immensely preoccupied for the last few days so have been unable to get any work done and this is the best i can do!

Want to thank people who gave me the feedback i needed to make my entry fit the prompt better, particularly pip who gave me a ton of ideas to improve. Any and all feedback is welcome to help me improve the design. I'll be active on the CAP discord if you want to give me some critique!

https://imgur.com/a/2bpvkPW support art and higher quality version

Last edited:
Early WIP for a Fishing Scorpion idea. Struggled with the face in particular, but I'd love any feedback on the concept. I'll post some feedback for everyone else ASAP!
I suggest you try the "gen I angry triangle eyes"
also maybe make it bigger? this looks more like a middle stage to me
really like the Poke Ball lure, althought I'd love it if it where a Lure ball instead :x

WIP

Hi all, I absolutely love what I am seeing here. 25w might have the coolest designs of all three in my opinion.

I would love to jump in and try my hand at another CAP. I present to you Samurai Lobster!

Still a heavy work in progress with a lot of design pieces that I am not too confident on, but I think the concept is strong and the design can be even stronger with the help of more people's constructive criticism.

When the typing of Water/Bug was decided I knew I wanted to do some sort of crustacean (I know they aren't technically bugs, but they are basically the insects of the sea). I also decided on lobster because I thought I could design it in a way where it would be seriously defensive while also threatening a strong offensive punch.

While I was drawing the base of my design, I couldn't help but see the shell of the lobster looking a lot like the plated armor of a samurai. So I tested out the design and went with it. The helmet is actually part of the lobster's shell with the classic front piece usually adorned on traditional samurai helmets actually being antennae poking through holes in the shell-helmet.

I struggled with how I wanted the face to look with a lobster's face being very uncharacteristic of a starter mon, so I tried to incorporate the open mouth design usually sported by samurai masks to make the mon look slightly less buggy and more starter-mony (please let me know if you have any ideas on how I can make this aspect of my design better). Lobsters have long antennae protruding from their nose like area which are usually depicted as mustaches in cartoons so I thought I would do the same. I also kept the same design at the tips as are on the tip of the helmet antennae for consistency.

The claws are my least favorite part of my design (besides the face). I couldn't decide if I wanted them to be katana-esque or more like Clawitzer's claw. It's obvious what I chose and I am not sure I am a fan. Constructive criticism on this aspect is more than welcomed.

Lastly is the chest armor shell stuff. Prior to adding that, the chest was just bare. That wouldn't do, so I added shell plating trying to emulate the chest armor typically worn by samurai. I also added a seaweed belt to replicate the knotted belt also usually worn by the warriors.

Thank you so much for making it this far. I know there are some serious design issues and eye sores so please don't hold back and let me know what you think. All constructive criticism is welcome.

Thanks, and good luck to all the other artists!!

WIP

This is my new concept for CAP25w

It's supposed to be a "classic" spider with a big bubble-like body, but with some crustacean shells for a reference to the spider crab

At beginning of searching a spider concept as water starter, i was going for something more "insect" with claws, some chitin textures... ( i had this at this point)

After some feedbacks on discord #flavor channel (thanks again all of you), i opted for something a lot more "cute", "likable" as a starter final evolution, but without losing the bug-typing aspect. A pokemon that new pokemon trainers (especially childrens) can be able to want as friend and protector even if he have insect aspect.

And here the result, a fatty spider with some fluffiness.
I am still caring about feedbacks for improve it, so dont hesitate ! :)

Last edited:
WIP

It's supposed to be a "classic" spider with a big bubble-like body, but with some crustacean shells for a reference to the spider crab

At beginning of searching a spider concept as water starter, i was going for something more "insect" with claws, some chitin textures... ( i had this at this point)

After some feedbacks on discord #flavor channel (thanks again all of you), i opted for something a lot more "cute", "likable" as a starter final evolution, but without losing the bug-typing aspect. A pokemon that new pokemon trainers (especially childrens) can be able to want as friend and protector even if he have insect aspect.

Oh my gosh, I am SOOOOOOO in love with this creation. It's adorable, and fits the typing and bulk so well, regardless of whether we go specially or physically bulky (or both!) My two small criticisms would be that something seems off about the head (maybe its neck is a bit too long?) and maybe the legs (especially the bottom two) could be a little more insect-like, but really, this is fantastic. Totally feels like a starter final evolution, too.

WIP

Hot tamale, so many amazing designs! I'm seriously blown away. Here's my little contribution.

Super duper rough sketch, just trying to get the idea and general body shape down. It's a mosquito-based 'mon, but instead of slurping up blood, it intakes loads of water to store in its abdomen, giving it some decent bulk. I also really like the idea of a health sapper water type, with a lot of stall defensive moves like Aqua Ring and Stockpile, but that of course is up to someone who knows the meta way better than I do.

Issues I have with the current design:
* Color palette could use some serious tweaking, any feedback on this would be thoroughly appreciated
* More detail, especially on the antenna and legs
* I like the idea of the abdomen having the same transparency as real mosquitoes, but the current band I have there doesn't sit right, maybe different position or a different pattern
* Pretty sure the reason why we haven't had any Bug starters is the faces are super hard to make personable and lovable while still being bug-like.

This is looking to be a super promising CAP, great work so far, everyone!

Modedit: Use image tags, not media tags.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Update!

Refined some minor details on the underbelly and a slight change on the forearms. Also made a couple colors more saturated.

Update!
Refined some minor details on the underbelly and a slight change on the forearms. Also made a couple colors more saturated.
I'm gonna be a jerk and say that I prefer the old design better :<
nice design either way

WIP

Nice design but I kinda want to see its back, it should totally have that shell in the back too and I can't see it from this perspective

WIP

Hot tamale, so many amazing designs! I'm seriously blown away. Here's my little contribution.

Super duper rough sketch, just trying to get the idea and general body shape down. It's a mosquito-based 'mon, but instead of slurping up blood, it intakes loads of water to store in its abdomen, giving it some decent bulk. I also really like the idea of a health sapper water type, with a lot of stall defensive moves like Aqua Ring and Stockpile, but that of course is up to someone who knows the meta way better than I do.

Issues I have with the current design:
* Color palette could use some serious tweaking, any feedback on this would be thoroughly appreciated
* More detail, especially on the antenna and legs
* I like the idea of the abdomen having the same transparency as real mosquitoes, but the current band I have there doesn't sit right, maybe different position or a different pattern
* Pretty sure the reason why we haven't had any Bug starters is the faces are super hard to make personable and lovable while still being bug-like.

This is looking to be a super promising CAP, great work so far, everyone!
:O awesome, The way you made parts of its thorax "transparent" is amazing!

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

figured that my lobster design was too excavalier-like, on top of not "potentially" fitting the bulky stats we "might" get.
So, here's a blue glaucus brute. I like this one much more than my lobster, so I think ill run with this design instead

Nektùll I just stumbled across your entry and I love it. It's so cute. And I completely agree that it looks like the sort of thing you would give to a small child as a protector, while still keeping the Bug type cues. It reminds me of Baymax. Is there a shell of the back of the big bubble as well, or is it just plain? I'm not sure if I have a preference, but it's an interesting question.

WIP

figured that my lobster design was too excavalier-like, on top of not "potentially" fitting the bulky stats we "might" get.
So, here's a blue glaucus brute. I like this one much more than my lobster, so I think ill run with this design instead
This is my favourite so far of all the entries.

Modedit: Remove images from posts when quoting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh my god, this is so damn good that I already want to vote. I can imagine it using Bubble Beam just by beating its belly wich could make it increasingly thin. I found your design not only well accurate to a defensive pokemon or starter concept but a interesting creature with a unique behavior too(not sure if this sentence is well formed and have sense). Also, I can see some interesting moves that fit this design very well.

My favorite entry by far. Really good job, man.

FINAL SUBMISSION

EDIT 9/5: Improved the description and added supporting material

This is based on a caddisfly larva. Caddisfly larvae live underwater and build a shell out of pebbles, sticks, and mud. This guy is a monster caddisfly larvae with a shell made out of spikes and stealth rocks. It can use its shell as a holding tank for water, and can shoot the water out the two ports on its shell similar to Blastoise and its cannons. It also has many elements of the ever-deadly bobbit worm--able to lunge its long body out from its shell to grab prey, and then pull them in.

Supporting Material
Bobbit Worm -style attack (something like Lunge, maybe)
Hydro Pump/ Hydro Cannon

Last edited:
WIP
I wanted to go with a heroic bug look so I went with a Kamen Rider! Halfway through developing this, I thought the water beetle designs might get crowded so I went with a centipede. Luckily there's a newly discovered aquatic species.
It has centipede limbs and a prehensile centipede scarf. The antennas for its feet have been turned into flippers so it can rescue those who are in trouble in the water. It can maybe??? learn poison moves but it's too heroic for that.

WIP

Water/Bug is based, funnily enough, on an aquatic bug, the water strider. I combined that with a stick bug for their body shape. Water striders can walk on the surface of the water, so I combined it with the look of a jazzy dancer. He dances on the surface of the pond. It was also important that the design be flexible stat-wise, which is where the stick bug comes into play again. Each of his limbs is essentially a stick. Snapping one stick is easy. Snapping an entire bundle of them is much more difficult. To defend himself, he stiffens up, pulling all of his limbs in close, enabling him to withstand blows easier. I went with this idea because I think he at first appears strictly fast and fragile, which isn't necessarily true.

Short comments, Part 1. I know the art is still a WIP for most people, but I feel like comments might be useful anyways.

paintseagull: I think it fits the type well and the face is nice. The pose is a little confusing though, adding to the problem of the body structure being difficult to parse. The shell and legs look like they might appreciate some more detail.

Harle: It's a very complex design in a good way, and the arms, whiskers, legs, and antennae all neatly balance each other. However, although I see a decent justification for its shape, if you can't get that across with just the art, it's hard for me to be satisfied giving a bulky pokemon such a thin and fragile-looking form.

Golurkyourself: I love the pose and the centipede body structure, and it certainly fits the role of a mascot. Without seeing the colors, it's hard to determine whether the water-type element will be present enough for a water starter, or the frame convincingly bulky. The top six rectangles on its chest could be a firm exoskeleton armor? Similarly, I like the head structure with the nose/antennae/scarf, but I'm not whether the face will manage to look decently naturalistic with the large mouth in a cramped area.

flying moose: unfortunately my first thought looking at this design is that it's a rock-type of some sort. Some extra elements reinforcing the water type could help it there. More positively, you've nailed the defensive aspect of the design, both with the shell (its solidity and the spikes both contribute) and the visible neck.

Sunfished: I don't really understand the design. It's a unique shape for sure; I'm guessing how the eyes work out will make a big difference to how it looks overall. Once it's colored I'll comment more.

Magistrum This is the most all-around solid design in the thread atm. The body is bulky, clearly both Water and Bug, and the posture and face make it look like a proper starter. If I have to say something more critical, I think the arms' positioning looks a bit awkward atm, and the smaller blue things near the stomach are hard to parse. Have to say it looks professional though.

BlueberryBlanket The large sac of water makes the water type clear, though it looks more Bug/Water than Water/Bug if that makes any sense. As you've said, it's hard to make these bug-types personable. As for the palette, the back is a good enough standard bug color imo, but the discrepancy between the soft transparent blue of the water sac reminiscent of manaphy and the flat pale-dull green is a very little bit jarring.

Bear in mind I'm not a good artist, so this is all merely based on my impression.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Bit of an overhaul since last time

Still based on the atlas beetle and Atlas carrying the world, or in this case a bubble. Would've loved to fit two more horns in there but the top side can't be too messy I feel. Since Atlas is greek mytholgy, I added some greek helmet features to its head. Foam on the bubble is to mimic clouds around the earth, should help connecting the dots better since drawing landmasses was out the window.

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
WIP

Bit of an overhaul since last time

Still based on the atlas beetle and Atlas carrying the world, or in this case a bubble. Would've loved to fit two more horns in there but the top side can't be too messy I feel. Since Atlas is greek mytholgy, I added some greek helmet features to its head. Foam on the bubble is to mimic clouds around the earth, should help connecting the dots better since drawing landmasses was out the window.
Just a minor correction, nothing to do with the art itself. Atlas holds up the sky in Greek mythology, not the earth. That's a common misconception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)