CAP 25 - Part 6 - CAP 25w Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINAL SUBMISSION - DQ

I mentally committed to submitting an entry for all three of these, but since I'm moving soon my 25w entry got a little rushed, and thus, goofy. I think it's turning out okay though. Less awesome than many other entries, but okay.

It's based on a sea snail. I though it's expression looked butler-ish when I was sketching it, so I just ran with that.

EDIT2: This is so not a serious entry, but since it exists, I'm going to leave it as a final sub. It was kind of amusing to work on, hopefully I have more time and more imagination for later CAPs.

EDIT: Rapti Thanks for your suggestions. :) I'm glad you think it's cute, since it's kind of not a super serious entry. I had thought of both things you mentioned but thought they might be too much. After you mentioned it I tried it out, and I think I like it this way after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP

Since I showed this off in the CAP Discord, I might as well send it in for your appraisal. It's a Japanese spider crab combined with several things: the ushi-oni, an ox-crab hybrid yokai; the heikegani crab (and its derivative yokai), whose shell resembles a human face which gave it the nickname "samurai crab"; and a bit of an actual samurai motif, especially the shields upon its claws. I may add a few more details in some places and reduce details elsewhere. The face in particular needs more emphasis and I'm planning to put decorations invoking a samurai helmet or something on it, and the shields could use some simplification too; in general I need to give it a more Bug-type vibe rather than Ghost-type, especially where the legs are concerned. Feedback is much appreciated as always!

And yes, that's a Tauros skull the shell is imitating. :P

WIP
I mentally committed to submitting an entry for all three of these, but since I'm moving soon my 25w entry got a little rushed, and thus, goofy. I think it's turning out okay though. Less awesome than many other entries, but okay.
It's based on a sea snail. I though it's expression looked butler-ish when I was sketching it, so I just ran with that.
This guy needs a tiny Bowler hat and maybe some more patterns on its shell and we'd have the cutest starter ever, but is adorable either way :3

WIP
Since I showed this off in the CAP Discord, I might as well send it in for your appraisal. It's a Japanese spider crab combined with several things: the ushi-oni, an ox-crab hybrid yokai; the heikegani crab (and its derivative yokai), whose shell resembles a human face which gave it the nickname "samurai crab"; and a bit of an actual samurai motif, especially the shields upon its claws. I may add a few more details in some places and reduce details elsewhere. The face in particular needs more emphasis and I'm planning to put decorations invoking a samurai helmet or something on it, and the shields could use some simplification too; in general I need to give it a more Bug-type vibe rather than Ghost-type, especially where the legs are concerned. Feedback is much appreciated as always!

And yes, that's a Tauros skull the shell is imitating. :P
The "eyesockets" are too distracting I'd do away with them, also it needs armor on all legs (not necesarily as prominent as in the two font one, but a least a "kneecap" on each)

WIP

First sketch for my CAP entry. After a series of iterations i eventually worked my way towards something that hopefully looks somewhat starter-y.

Based primarily on the whirligig beetle for the large paddle arms as well as diving beetles and scuba divers. I decided to go for a deep sea diver motif with feelers like snorkels, flipper like feet and hands and scuba goggles as well as an air tank which serves as an air jet (shown in the support art) to propel itself through the water to compensate its bulky frame and allowing it to be an effective diving predator. While water beetles seem to be the obvious choice i wanted to stylise it in a way that would make the most sense for being a starter pokemon and secondary bug. I love beetle pokemon and bug type pokemon in general so this was the perfect opportunity for me.

Decided despite its bulky look i wanted to make it look fairly streamlined and sleek (like an actual water beetle) to fit that diver motif. I also went for a darker upper body and lighter underbelly to make it effectively camoflaged underwater (akin to the great white shark) making it an even better predator. As for fitting the prompt i think between the bulk and hopefully starter ish look I shouldve done well.

I will do a more refined drawing next week most likely but unfortunately ive been immensely preoccupied for the last few days so have been unable to get any work done and this is the best i can do!

Want to thank people who gave me the feedback i needed to make my entry fit the prompt better, particularly pip who gave me a ton of ideas to improve. Any and all feedback is welcome to help me improve the design. I'll be active on the CAP discord if you want to give me some critique!

https://imgur.com/a/2bpvkPW support art and higher quality version
As a Bug-type fan, I have to say that this is definitely my favorite of the bunch and I'd vote for it in a heartbeat. I might borrow the air tank/jetpack for my own diving beetle Fakemon now (unrelated to CAP), if that's cool with you.

Modedit: Remove images when quoting a post.

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP

Making up for the lack of viable crab-mons, I'm makin a crab... I defs wanna tailor it a bit to whatever ability we end up deciding on tho, so atm the treasure chest and gold shell aren't locked in at all. I dont have much else to say, but feedback is appreciated!

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Update:

Trying out an alternate pose that better shows details such as how the sub-arms are connected to the main arms and a different view of the claws, which is a slight reference to a Great Diving Beetle's suction cups on their forelegs.

WIP2

Cleaned up version of my triton snail. Cleaned up/shrinked the shell a lot and moved the limbs around, I think its looking a lot better now and more in line with other starters! I will write some feedbacks for other waters in a while.

Last edited:
Update:

Trying out an alternate pose that better shows details such as how the sub-arms are connected to the main arms and a different view of the claws, which is a slight reference to a Great Diving Beetle's suction cups on their forelegs.
You have a strong design here, my only criticism is that the shape of the yellow parts on the sides of the head make its head feel too similar to Volcarona's.

A little bit of colour bases for the shield shrimp idea. Probably going to leave it here until after ability polls.

WIP

I have not updated for a bit, so here is the latest version of my centipede. I already got some thoughts on it, mainly on its legs and overall size so I will gonna doodle at least those in the this near future.

xurkitrium-z Since you would like some feedbacks, I'll tell you that your art is currently my favorite in this thread. However, even though I totally respect your will to make a viable crab-mon, I think your design would suggest to many people that this Pokemon is meant to hit on the physical side rather than on the special one. So if the stats turn out to make CAP 25W a special attacker, your design could be judged as not being fit. Sorry, I don't have any ideas of how you could make a crab-mon looking like it would fire Water and moves like Bug Buzz... Nonetheless, you'll still have my vote even if that's the case because to me the design > everything else.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Modpost

Art submissions for CAP 25 will be closing at least 48 hours after stat submission threads close! Be sure to get your final submissions in by that time, and make sure that your submission follows the rules in the opening post exactly! This tool can help your image meet the technical requirements. Be aware, however, that it is not a comprehensive legality checker.

I was told I needed to change my approach to the shield shrimp a bit to make it feel more like a pokemon, and this here is the result of that. I'm unsure about the tassel-feeler thingies and also really need to find a better underbelly colour to change the monotony, but this does feel like a bit more promising an approach. Thanks to a comment by sun, I'm thinking of this one as the 'shield shrimp monk' iteration of the design.

Feedback would be really appreciated since I'm currently really out of my comfort zone with this.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
WIP

I tweaked my design a little bit and added some colors. Also, did you know that some dysticidaes use poison to kill their prey? I learnt that doing research, and it's kinda cool since it fits with 25w's Poison Heal.

Last edited:
WIP

Based on feedback from the Discord, I've decided to drastically change up my design to make it look less cluttered and more starter-ish.
At the suggestion of several people from the Discord chat, it now has a kabuki motif, with seashell-shaped hand fans for pincers and the bull parts only vaguely hinted at with markings on the head and back plate. Said back plate is also part of a much longer abdomen, because the basis for this thing is now a eurypterid or "sea scorpion" - prehistoric chelicerates related to actual scorpions, spiders, and most closely to horseshoe crabs. Hey, if a spider can be a Bug-type then why not an ancient relative of one? Since it's an arachnid relative, it still kinda fits the "bull + spider = PROFIT" equation that's basically an ushi-oni, and also fits the Water-type better than the more spider-like design from before. Plus, the ushi-oni is sometimes said to be a sea monster, so it fits! :D

TwilightWing on the chat also suggested the brilliant idea of having the lower "jaw" of the giant bull skull be part of the back, and the skull itself being part of the tail as mentioned, so I included it in this design. I know some of you would have wanted a stinger because "scorpion" but many eurypterids have just a plain paddle instead of a venomous tail barb, so I didn't include one. Besides, if you still want venom barbs, let's just say it can ooze poison through its tail-head's "horns"!

Probably gonna shade this and call it a final sub, along with getting some support art sketched ASAP.

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

large update since last post. based it off my old cap23 submission!
design is probably finished, just a few tweaks here and there with the colors

I like how your submission looks like the blue dragon sea slug (Glaucus atlanticus) which is nice because it looks awesome.

This is incredible. It looks bulky but also like it could have power behind it, and definitely reads as a third evolution.

My one slight criticism is that the bug typing almost doesn’t come across. You mention colors - maybe if the black circles were changed to some kind of green color it would help?

Regardless, this is one of my favorite CAP25w submissions. Great work!

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is incredible. It looks bulky but also like it could have power behind it, and definitely reads as a third evolution.

My one slight criticism is that the bug typing almost doesn’t come across. You mention colors - maybe if the black circles were changed to some kind of green color it would help?

Regardless, this is one of my favorite CAP25w submissions. Great work!
Contrary to that, I think it works well, considering that the bug typing is secondary. You can easily tell that its a Water type, as most starters are, but like most secondary types on starters, the secondary typing is a bit lore based, or what the mon is based on. I think as long as he plays up the dragon sea slug lore, it will more than fit

Large change since my last post! I was suggested to heavily change the shape and silhouette to make my design look more like a starter or a pokemon, and this is the result. It's a shield shrimp/sea scorpion/ beetle hybrid I... guess?

Final Submission

Supporting Material:
Side view, behavior, and attacks (over 500 kB)
Proposed scale chart

When I learned that the Water starter for CAP 25 was going to be Water/Bug, the type combination immediately made me think of a crustacean. Insects and modern crustaceans are actually quite closely related, and if at least one member of the arachnids - which are not as closely related to either of them - can be a Bug-type, then why not a crab or lobster? The initial pitch was a Japanese spider crab combined with the heikegani or "samurai crab", whose shell resembles a human face and may have inspired a yokai of the same name, and an ushi-oni, a Japanese sea monster which has the body of a crab or spider and the head of a bull. The initial sketch, however, made it look much more like Bug/Ghost than Water/Bug and lacked the flavor distinctive to starters, not to mention that Samurott already does the samurai theme well enough. My second attempt was another ushi-oni crab that was more inspired by kabuki, with stylized masks and fans shaped like seashells, which was better received, but I still felt like it was lacking something I couldn't identify.

It wasn't until Poison Heal was close to being decided as the Hidden Ability that I hit upon a different solution. Taking what I liked about the second draft, I applied all the necessary elements to the body of a eurypterid or sea scorpion, which were extinct aquatic members of the chelicerate family and thus related to horseshoe crabs, spiders, and actual scorpions. I kept the secondary "head" on the end of the abdomen to retain the ushi-oni theme, but at the suggestion of TwilightWing, I also gave the back some ridges suggesting a lower jaw, and at the suggestion of Sunfished I also added a hidden nozzle under the tail "head" (as seen in the support art), which sprays fluid in a manner akin to a vinegaroon or whip scorpion, an arachnid which shoots acetic acid from its abdomen to defend itself. This also justifies Poison Heal even though the tail doesn't have a traditional scorpion barb, instead using its "horns" to attack and the bull-head-like plate to shield itself from attacks. The scorpion-ish appearance also ties it to Gliscor, which is not only the only canon Pokemon aside from the Shroomish line which has Poison Heal as an ability, but is also in the Bug egg group!

Aside from TwilightWing and Sunfished, I'd also like to give thanks to the rest of those on the Discord chat who helped me out - wulfanator72, Plazzap, Quanyails, and Golurk! And also best of luck to everyone who's participating, because there's a lot of amazing entries here and I can't wait to see which of them takes the win!

Last edited:
Final Submission

School starting up means I haven't had and won't have any time to meaningfully edit this thing, so I figure I'll just mark it as a Final Submission lol; I pretty much just went with "there should be a good crab pokemon" and took that as far as I reasonably could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)