CAP 26 - Part 13 - Shiny Palette Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Shiny Palette Rules
  • Shiny palettes must be submitted as palette swaps of the winning sprite entry. No other modifications to the image may be made.
  • Colors in a shiny palette must have the same relative hue and brightness compared to the corresponding color on the original sprite.
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> light red
        • Dark blue -> dark red
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> white
        • Dark blue -> gray
      • Acceptable:
        • Light blue -> gray
        • Dark blue -> black
      • Unacceptable:
        • Light blue -> dark green
        • Dark blue -> light green
      • Unacceptable:
        • Light blue -> light red
        • Dark blue -> dark green
      [*][*][*]
  • Images must be in PNG format.
  • Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 24-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.
No more than three WIP shiny palettes can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the shiny palette rules (listed above) and the following:
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the sprites at the top, and any additional description or comments (if applicable) below them.
  • The final submission image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Drop/upload image' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post.
Sprite:

-----

CAP 26 so far:

Dogfish44 said:
Name - The Future is Bright!

Description - A Pokemon that makes usage of the 'delayed-attack' moves - Future Sight and/or Doom Desire

Justification - Given we're attempting to create a Pokemon that uses one of two specific moves, this is an Actualisation concept. Future Sight and Doom Desire are incredibly unique moves, which see limited usage in spite of their high base power, and ability to have a target Pokemon struck twice in the same turn. In using CAP26, the aim is to create a Pokemon that inspires a feeling of being able to trap opponents, to establish win-win situations.

Questions To Be Answered -
One Pokemon which has been seen to fairly reliably use Future Sight is Slowking. What can we learn from Slowking about what makes a viable user of Future Sight? On the same token, what has led Jirachi to not be effective at using Doom Desire, and other Pokemon to not effectively use Future Sight?
What is the optimum usage of Future Sight/Doom Desire, both on the turn immediately after using the move, and the turn on which the move will land?
Should the user of Future Sight/Doom Desire be primarily helping itself, or other teammates. If helping itself, what is the aim? If helping teammates, then what types of teammate?
Are Z-Future Sight and Z-Doom Desire mandatory, or just useful tools?
Explantion - Doom Desire is almost one we've done before, as people from the era of Cawmodore probably remember. Whilst little has changed since then, we have seen Future Sight get another power level increase since then.

This isn't a case of using a move which we know can't be used - we can look to Slowking (Future Sight) or Dialga (Balanced Hackmons, Doom Desire) for inspiration on what makes these moves workable. At the same time, we know that they're not automatic locks in spite of their high base power, allowing us room to explore what makes these moves often fall flat.

The beauty of Future Sight and Doom Desire as concept leads is that they don't massively restrict our ability to choose a direction right from the gate - focussing on these moves for their ability to strike twice in a single turn likely produces a Pokemon that is very different from focussing on these moves for their ability to force specific Pokemon out for a teammate to switch in. Whether we create a Pokemon that breaks walls, or pivots around, or supports a very specific partner, or something else entirely, these moves make for a concept that should be both interesting to implement, and with many avenues to explore.
Topic Leader: SHSP

Topic Leadership Team:
Typing Leader: GMars
Ability Leader: Jordy
Stats Leader: Jho
Movepool Leader: G-Luke

Typing: Steel/Ground

Threats:
SHSP said:
Switch Ins: Mega Crucibelle, Clefable, Tapu Koko, Most Tornadus-T, Magearna lacking Focus Blast

Counters: Celesteela, Rotom-Wash, Arghonaut, Chansey

Checks: Mega Latias and Latios, Ash Greninja, Volkraken, Mega Charizard X and Y, AV Tyranitar, Landorus-T, Ferrothorn
Primary Ability: Levitate

Stats: 102 HP / 50 Atk / 96 Def / 133 SpA / 118 SpD / 60 Spe

Secondary Ability: Bulletproof

Art Design:

Movepool: https://www.smogon.com/forums/posts/8139435

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey, all! I noticed I had a few pixels that were out of place on the Equilibra sprite. Some pixels were miscolored (not good for shinies), and the crown was one pixel shorter than intended. I got permission from the other CAP mods to make these minor fixes to the sprite, and I've updated the opening post accordingly. You should be using the image in this thread's opening post when crafting your shiny palettes, not the one from the polls!

Happy palette designing, everyone!

Final Submission

Went with this yellow and white color scheme with blue highlights as lady justice draws some inspiration from Maat, an Egyptian goddess, and this color scheme is often associated with Egypt. In general, it also looks really nice, with the lighter white and yellow making that blue really stand out and highlight the patterns in Equilibra's body. I'm very proud of this submission, but I can't wait to see what other people do with this.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
WIPs:

Temporary File 1.png

I originally wanted to design the palette on the Statue of Liberty, due to justice and liberty being companion themes and Equilibra's "crown" reminding me of the crown on the Statue of Liberty. However, the shading didn't match up; green on the metal parts doesn't look like patina but rather green metal, so I made it look more like jade instead. :)

Thank you to Deck Knight, legend slayer, lyd, Pipotchi, StephXPM, and Wulfanator72 for feedback on the palette. :)

--

Here's another one I think could be neat as well:

Temporary File 1.png

This one is like the opposite of Magearna! You know how the classical Greek statues were colorful in the past but stripped away to all-white marble by the present day? This is a similar idea. :) Most of the color has faded away, but you can still see some dull hues in the clay parts.

I know this palette doesn't look impressive on the forums, but imagine it in a game or on PS!, where the terrain is colorful, so the lack of color by contrast... contrasts! I have some examples using PS! backgrounds.

Temporary File 2.png

Temporary File 2.png

Temporary File 2.png

Last edited:
WIPs:

First up, a palette based on wood and verdigris (the patina on copper/bronze). The dulled green pairs nicely with the various brown colours of the wood parts and I feel like it makes the true eye in the design pop out nicely.

-------

This next one is based on wood (again) and rose gold, an alloy of 75% gold, 22.25% copper and 2.75% silver. Because Equilibra's base palette contains a shining gold, I thought a rose gold variant would be appropriate as an alternative gold colour.

Also it looks like a strawberry ice cream cone.

-------

For this last one I went with a more modern palette, composed of a nice electric blue base with black extremities. I also think (partially) black shinies can never go wrong as long as they're not overwhelmingly dark.

Final Submission

This palette has a more whimsical theme. The combination of the light pink, salmon tones, and minty clay has a very candy-like style. Because Equilibra is very much serious and poised, the shiny form of Equilibra is very much the opposite. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

A rather simple take on the colour scheme that uses a lot of existing Shiny ideas. Oranges to Greens, Golds to silver, etc.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I figured I'd give some feedback on what I'm seeing.

Was any of the gold/yellow from the original sprite changed? If so, it is barely noticable. I would recommend making it a darker yellow similar to the differences between pikachu's palettes.

Something that is bothering me is the fact the eye is blue. You took two different colors in the original sprite and made them the same in the shiny but then left the white on the face untouched. Consistency is important.

Personally, I dont think the white and blue work. I feels like blacephalon where the majority of colors are the same and the ones that changed dont work. I think if you are swapping out colors for the orange and brown, the shiny palette should reflect it. Brown is just a dark orange, so the colors should be the same with the only difference being shade.

We had previous talked on discord about the route I feel you should take given your two palettes, so I'll keep this brief.

I think the Jade color is the superior design, by far. While the grey "scale" is cool, it fails to give me that excitement of a shiny pokemon. I'd feel more inclined to use something like a master all to catch the Jade versus the grey scale.

I will restate that I think that when replacing orange and brown, the replacement colors should be from the same family. One just should be darker than the other. I think the dark Jade works given how the eye turned out, so I wouldn't say it's a neccessary change.

Your first palette is easily the best of the 3. Great color combinations. No changes needed.

While the black is interesting, you lose a lot of details in the face and arms. The back sprite loses the most. I would avoid pursuing that color.

More to come

Last edited:
Was any of the gold/yellow from the original sprite changed? If so, it is barely noticable. I would recommend making it a darker yellow similar to the dif
nope, that wasnt changed, and that was intentional. some shinies dont change all the colors and that's fine. i think that yellow works very well with the blue and the white so i just left it as that.
Something that is bothering me is the fact the eye is blue. You took two different colors in the original sprite and made them the same in the shiny but then left the white on the face untouched. Consistency is important.
i just thought adding a blue highlight in the eye would make it standout more, and the whole point of shinies is to give a twist on the original, so i felt a more contrasting eye would fit.
Personally, I dont think the white and blue work. I feels like blacephalon where the majority of colors are the same and the ones that changed dont work. I think if you are swapping out colors for the orange and brown, the shiny palette should reflect it. Brown is just a dark orange, so the colors should be the same with the only difference being shade.
i disagree. color schemes are pretty subjective, of course, but i like the way the blue, yellow, and white go together, it gives a jolly and happy feel usually, but since equilibra is ancient looking it also points at that egyptian feeling i alluded to in my post. if you don't like it that's fine, just giving my point of view on it.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
More feedback
The coloring of the tail on all 3 doesn't have enough distinction between where the orange and brown were on the original. I would recommend adjusting that. I think the pink and green is the most interesting. It looks like candy.

A very strong color choice. That bright green is something I would have never considered, but it works really well when paired with the yellow and white you've selected.

WIPs

I wanted to try this out, and went with a dark blue palette. Very much a WIP at the moment. I will give this one another try.

This second one is an attempt at making a golden version. Not sure I'm happy with it, but it was fun to try.

Final Submission

Surprisingly for a rather complex design, only three color changes were really needed. The artifact-ish nature of this thing made me think of Cofagrigus, which has white instead of gold on its shiny sprite; that was my original implementation, until it turned out to be too hard to distinguish the shaded areas from the base color, so I darkened it to a bluish silver to contrast the gold of the normal coloring. I also had to darken the outline significantly to make it stand out more, since white areas in existing sprites have a dark outline for this exact reason. The brown parts, meanwhile, became dull green as a reference to copper patina. I don't know if the eye colors can change between normal and shiny, but I doubt it, so I decided to keep the eye and eyespots unchanged. So essentially, the warm yellow and orange colors of the normal sprite are replaced by cooler shades of blue and green, and the gold becomes silver, platinum, or some other whitish metal.

Thanks to Sandshine and Quanyails for helping me refine the shiny sprite palette!

Final Submission

Based on the inverted color of Equilibra's main palette, dark blue. Makes me think it's made out of lapis.

Final Submission

Out of the three WIPs I submitted, I decided to go with this one. I'd like to thank all the people who gave me feedback on Discord!

Final Submission

I chose those colors to represent the impartiality and coldness of justice. And from the design point of view, i think blue and silver colors fit well together.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Haven't changed up anything since I got some good feedback. Thanks to everyone who had kind words about it! And of course to Birkal for the reminder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)