CAP 26 - Part 9 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Now that we have our winning art design, it's time to make the sprites that it will have when shown on Pokemon Showdown!. Note that the rules have changed from CAP 25, so make sure to review this post!

--

Sprite Rules
  • Sprites should be inspired by the winning designs from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the designs; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art designs is discouraged.
  • All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 96x96.
  • All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite
  • No action effects, move effects, environment effects or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon.
  • Sprites must be in PNG format.
  • Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 24-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.
  • Use transparent backgrounds.
  • All sprites must be scratch sprites that are completely original works by the spriter. Fusions of other sprites or pixel-overs of other artist's lineart (including the main design) are not allowed.
  • Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.
  • All sprites (front and back) must use roughly the same size and pose when compared to each other.
Final Submission Post

All spriters must make a final submission post conforming to the sprite rules (listed above) and the following:
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the sprites at the top, and any additional description or comments (if applicable) below them.
  • Final submissions must contain a minimum of 2 sprites - Front and Back. If the winning design has supporting art with gender differences, spriters may choose to include those gender differences (Male and Female versions of each), for a total of 4 sprites. Gender differences are NOT required. Spriters cannot create new gender differences.
  • Only submit ONE PNG that contains all the submitted sprites. Please do not submit separate images for every sprite. One "cutsheet" makes it easier for mods to track submissions and ensure each complete set of sprites stay intact.
  • The final submission image must be hosted on a reliable image hosting service (such as Imgur). Do not use the forum's 'Drop/upload image' feature. Do not use the 'Attach a photo' tool on messaging apps (e.g. Discord). Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post.
Advice for Spriters
  • Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Pokémon Showdown, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in battle.
---

CAP 26 so far:

Dogfish44 said:
Name - The Future is Bright!

Description - A Pokemon that makes usage of the 'delayed-attack' moves - Future Sight and/or Doom Desire

Justification - Given we're attempting to create a Pokemon that uses one of two specific moves, this is an Actualisation concept. Future Sight and Doom Desire are incredibly unique moves, which see limited usage in spite of their high base power, and ability to have a target Pokemon struck twice in the same turn. In using CAP26, the aim is to create a Pokemon that inspires a feeling of being able to trap opponents, to establish win-win situations.

Questions To Be Answered -
One Pokemon which has been seen to fairly reliably use Future Sight is Slowking. What can we learn from Slowking about what makes a viable user of Future Sight? On the same token, what has led Jirachi to not be effective at using Doom Desire, and other Pokemon to not effectively use Future Sight?
What is the optimum usage of Future Sight/Doom Desire, both on the turn immediately after using the move, and the turn on which the move will land?
Should the user of Future Sight/Doom Desire be primarily helping itself, or other teammates. If helping itself, what is the aim? If helping teammates, then what types of teammate?
Are Z-Future Sight and Z-Doom Desire mandatory, or just useful tools?
Explantion - Doom Desire is almost one we've done before, as people from the era of Cawmodore probably remember. Whilst little has changed since then, we have seen Future Sight get another power level increase since then.

This isn't a case of using a move which we know can't be used - we can look to Slowking (Future Sight) or Dialga (Balanced Hackmons, Doom Desire) for inspiration on what makes these moves workable. At the same time, we know that they're not automatic locks in spite of their high base power, allowing us room to explore what makes these moves often fall flat.

The beauty of Future Sight and Doom Desire as concept leads is that they don't massively restrict our ability to choose a direction right from the gate - focussing on these moves for their ability to strike twice in a single turn likely produces a Pokemon that is very different from focussing on these moves for their ability to force specific Pokemon out for a teammate to switch in. Whether we create a Pokemon that breaks walls, or pivots around, or supports a very specific partner, or something else entirely, these moves make for a concept that should be both interesting to implement, and with many avenues to explore.
Topic Leader: SHSP

Topic Leadership Team:
Typing Leader: GMars
Ability Leader: Jordy
Stats Leader: Jho
Movepool Leader: G-Luke

Typing: Steel/Ground

Threats:
SHSP said:
Switch Ins: Mega Crucibelle, Clefable, Tapu Koko, Most Tornadus-T, Magearna lacking Focus Blast

Counters: Celesteela, Rotom-Wash, Arghonaut, Chansey

Checks: Mega Latias and Latios, Ash Greninja, Volkraken, Mega Charizard X and Y, AV Tyranitar, Landorus-T, Ferrothorn
Primary Ability: Levitate

Stats: 102 HP / 50 Atk / 96 Def / 133 SpA / 118 SpD / 60 Spe

Secondary Ability: Bulletproof

Art Design:

-----

Additional reference images:

[10:25 PM] wulfanator72: @StephanXPM does the back of the arms have those tear drop designs or no?
[10:26 PM] StephanXPM: oh yeah actually they should @wulfanator72
[10:26 PM] StephanXPM: sorry, I don't think I added that to my ref sheet ;_;

Last edited:
I took a stab at a front sprite for #26. This is by no means complete (see: lack of shading), I just wanted to get the basic shape down.

EDIT: Using the forum's upload for WIPs

Last edited:
**dusting of my spriting skills**

It is far from perfect but it was fun to do this again. I might not have the time to do the backsprite but we'll see ^^

And I've done the backsprite now, sans shading. Though due to CAP 26 being a nice, symmetrical design I'd already done like 80% of it when I did the front sprite.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Temporary File 2.png

WIP for the front sprite! I'm not sure whether to make the spiky parts above the pans closer to the pans or not. Discord didn't seem to have a strong opinion, so maybe the forums do?

Thanks to StephXPM for making sure the sprite matches up with his design, wulfanator72 for sprite style feedback, and Dogfish44, Mova, and pip for additional feedback. :D

Edit (2019-05-27): Added WIP back sprite!

Also, for reference, StephXPM has posted reference images of his design here as well as a 3D turnaround here. These resources have been essential to me getting the proportions and perspective right! I've updated the opening post with them.

Edit (2019-05-28): In #flavor:
[10:25 PM] wulfanator72: @StephanXPM does the back of the arms have those tear drop designs or no?
[10:26 PM] StephanXPM: oh yeah actually they should @wulfanator72
[10:26 PM] StephanXPM: sorry, I don't think I added that to my ref sheet ;_;

Last edited:

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
WIP for the front sprite! I'm not sure whether to make the spiky parts above the pans closer to the pans or not. Discord didn't seem to have a strong opinion, so maybe the forums do?
I think it would be best not to leave them so close to the pans, it'd give a more harmonious and balanced look to the sprite. Leave them too close transmits a sense of weight, idk, this bothered me a little.

Just a comment to Scorpio and noobiess. I like your sprites a lot but I really think the pans are too small. As is it’s easy to miss them, and then the Pokémon just starts to look like a protractor or something instead of a scale. Otherwise, good designs!

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

Here's my front sprite for CAP 26, will edit in a backsprite soon!

Thanks to everyone that provided me feedback at various points. It's quite funny working on such a static design, the subtle differences with sprites is going to be the decider here!

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Also, thank you Quanyails and StephXPM for feedback

Edit (2019-06-09): Fixed mistakes found in the color palette.
Edit (2019-06-09 (2)): Fixed mistakes found in the color palette.
Edit (2019-06-10): Fixed mistakes found in the color palette.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
Final Submission

Edit (2019-06-09): Made the eye brighter. Thanks to Deck Knight for the feedback! Also updated the palette to be between the bright and dull palettes I had been using.

Edit (2019-06-09 (2)): Made the arms thinner and the head smaller. Thank you to StephXPM for the feedback. :)

Last edited:
Final Submission

EDIT: Thanks to everyone on Discord who critiqued, especially pokehimon for prompting me to overhaul the backsprite's shading and Quanyalis for advice on some last-minute touch-ups.

(It's an old image but Equilibra is the same size here)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)