CAP 27 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
That's not to say that names should have to be space-related, but I don't think they should just be dismissed like that if they are.
Yeah, I understand. It's like I said, it was just a thing which was bothering me. But if Quanyails by herself is fine with this, it's alright.

Mr.Panda411 - Fair enough! I just thought I'd point that out. C:

Just a reminder: That tail is solid blue, officially. The gradient is supposedly a lighting effect from the glow of the tail.
This is incorrect. The gradient is a lighting effect, but the stars are part of the actual design.

• Long tail evokes the end of a firework
  • Sparkles on tail adds to magical girl sparkliness
  • Sparkles on tail evokes the end of a firework
  • Sparkles on tail resembles the stars in a night sky
(Formatting is slightly wrong because the thread is locked and I couldn't make this an actual quote, but click the quote and you'll see - under "Full design breakdown")

WIP

Magicame (Magic + Flame)

Pronounced: the same way its root words are (machi + came)

I wen't for a less complex name since I felt like the old one was a bit too complex trying to combine lizard into it.

Mr.Panda411 - Fair enough! I just thought I'd point that out. C:

This is incorrect. The gradient is a lighting effect, but the stars are part of the actual design.

(Formatting is slightly wrong because the thread is locked and I couldn't make this an actual quote, but click the quote and you'll see - under "Full design breakdown")
Fair enough; I missed that part. I admit I was wrong. However, I still don't think that that will convey well, especially in sprite form. In terms of appearance, I really just don't see "space" being conveyed; at best its like a quaternary theme.

WIP

Magicame (Magic + Flame)

Pronounced: the same way its root words are (machi + came)

I wen't for a less complex name since I felt like the old one was a bit too complex trying to combine lizard into it.
I didn't want to waste a post just addressing one somewhat off topic thing, so here's a brief review of this name: Not a fan. Firstly, "came" always has iffy circumstances revolving alternate meanings, and secondly "Flame" just really isn't conveyed here at all. The "-ame" part of "flame" isn't understandable without the "fl". For this duo, something like "Flamagic" would be much better, both at blending the word and at getting the "flame" across.

Dragoka

From "Dragon" + Japanese "Madoka" (a PMMM reference, PMMM being a magical girl anime)

Drenerva

From Norse "dreki" meaning dragon + "Minerva", after the Greek goddess

Meterkur
From"meteor" + Icelandic "sterkur" meaning "strong"
I actually considered making a name that included Mami but I thought it sounds like a Latina waifu lol

I do have some feedback for a lot of WIP’s in this thread and I’m gonna use “Meterkur” as an example. I think a few submissions would benefit from playing around with how you combine the words and which sounds from each word you incorporate, then whether or not the end result not only has flow when spoken aloud, but also conveys the character well. I think “Drenerva” accomplishes these things better. Meterkur is a series of hard sounds that not only don’t flow into each other, they also don’t really give any insight into the character of the design.

Fair enough; I missed that part. I admit I was wrong. However, I still don't think that that will convey well, especially in sprite form. In terms of appearance, I really just don't see "space" being conveyed; at best its like a quaternary theme.
While I agree that space in a broader sense isn’t all that apparent, I do get star vibes from it. The design isn’t very simple, so it can be interpreted in a lot of different ways, but to me a star is as apparent in the design as magical girl or fireworks, and much more apparent than eastern dragons (which I don’t personally see at all). The more I look at it, the more I can see it darting across a night sky. Can kinda see stars more than fireworks now that I think about it.

Also if anyone saw “farting across the night sky” before I edited it... shhh

Last edited:
WIP

Salamyte

suh-luh-might

Salamander, dynamite

Newkute

niu-Kioot

Newt, Nuke, cute also nuke you

Searenewt

see-re-nioot

searing, renew, serene, newt

Last edited:
WIP

Fuegonix?

Spanish word for fire + Phoenix

Pronouced: Foo-Way-Go-Nicks

Even though it doesnt look like a phoenix the art gives off a feeling that it can rise from the ashes of defeat.

WIP (2: The Reckoning)

Zircolotl (zur-cuh-lot-ul)

Zirconium + axolotl.
Pulls on the deeper parts of the fireworks aspect. Zirconium is used in fireworks to give brighter flames (or explosions). I contemplated other metals here (Lithium and Strontium turn flames red. Even Copper, which turns flames blue) but decided that brighter flames suited better than colourful flames considering the magical girl aspect. Then axolotl because axolotl.

WIP
Ambystoke

Ambystoma (genus of salamanders that the axolotl belongs to) + stoke.
Pronounced am-BIH-stohk

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Modpost:

Final Submissions are now open! Make sure to follow the format in the OP exactly for your name to be eligible.

Final Submission

Celestraco

It is celestial and draco combined. I feel it is appropriate because of the space theme of CAP27 and its Dragon-typing.

Pronunced: “SE - LES - TRAY - CO”
IPA: səlɛstreɪkoʊ (Proof)

Last edited:

MrPanda

not a bear
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Final Submission

Glitterina

Glitter + Ballerina. Also, there's a pun with glycerin from nitroglycerin, a very unstable explosive substance used in TNT fabrication.

Pronounced: glitter-RIH-nah

Final Submission

Axolestial

A combination of "axolotl" and "celestial," tying in the fireworks and magical girl themes with the animal basis of CAP27.

Pronounced: "ax-uh-LEST-i-al"
IPA: /ˈæksəˈlɛstiəl/ (read)

Although it's only a simple combination of two words, I think the name Axolestial takes effective advantage of the overlap between "axolotl" and "celestial" and conveys both words clearly.
In terms of pronunciation, the shared syllable (part of -xol/cel-), though it may look different between the two words, is not only pronounced the same but holds the same emphasis in each word's rhythm, making for a pleasantly smooth transition. "Celestial" itself has enough in common with the "axolotl" that both words feel complete on some level and neither one is difficult to identify in the name; I think this is a particularly notable strength of this combination compared to a few other combinations I've seen and considered, many which lose track of their root words in an attempt to sound nice and aren't as easily decipherable out of context.
In terms of spelling, I chose to transition between the two words on the "l" because it made it easier to identify both words; an earlier transition to include more of "celestial" was considered, but ultimately, I found that doing so obscured the "axolotl" basis too much and created a less elegant sequence of letters, while "celestial" is still easily recognizable as it is.

Despite the occasional distaste for names based on the word "axolotl," I think this one escapes most of the concerns that have been raised. It should be simple and intuitive to pronounce, and because the end of the word is based on "celestial," it lacks the -otl sequence that people have cited as unusual or clunky for an English word.
I chose to combine it with "celestial" because much of the design is inspired by the night sky and fireworks, and it's also evocative of magic. Another possible meaning of the word is "supremely good," which feels particularly suited to a Pokémon inspired by magical girls - heroes who fight evil - as well as the core concept of team support.

Final Submission

Novaria

A combination of "Nova" + "Aria".

Pronounced: "Noh-VAR-ee-ah"

The name is designed to combine the fire aspect, "Nova", representing both stars and firework explosions, with the elegance of an aria, representing the feminine aspects of the magical girl inspiration and providing a feminine ending to the name. In addition, the name rolls off the tongue really easy and smoothly.

Final Submission

Tlexolotl

"Fiery monster" in Classical Nahuatl, created by substituting a(tl) "water" in axolotl for tle(tl) "fire".

Pronounced: TLEH-ksu-lot-ul
IPA: /ˈtlɛksəˌlɒtəl/

Listen.
Nahuatl pronunciation: [t͡ɬéˈʃoːloːt͡ɬ]. Yes, in Classical Nahuatl (and 16th-century Spanish) the letter x represented the sh sound: Mexico was Meshico, axolotl was asholotl, Taxas was Teshas and so on...
I've seen xolotl translated as either "monster", "servant" or even "dog". I chose "monster" because of PocketMonster.
The (tl) in a(tl), tle(tl) and xolo(tl) is called absolutive suffix. It's always omitted in first part of compound noun.

Last edited:

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
Final Submission

Rubidrake

Combination of “rubidium” (a chemical which sparks when exposed to water) and “drake”. Also, “rubi” sounds like “ruby”, which reinforces the sparkly and feminine design.

Pronounced: ROOB-ih-DRAIK
IPA: /ˌɻuːbɪˈdɻeɪk/

I had a hard time coming up with a good name for this CAP, but I think that Rubidrake fits rather well. It rolls off the tongue nicely and is easy to pronounce, which are both important for a good name. It also ties most aspects of CAP27 together- the fire typing, the magical girl influences, and the fact that it is a dragon.

Final Submission

Ryujyung

From Japanese ryu, "dragon", Chinese liúxīng, "shooting star", and Chinese jyun, "salamander" - essentially, "shooting salamander".

Pronounced: "REE-yoo-JEE-yung"

I figured that because of the Chinese dragon and firework inspiration, I'd go with a name inspiration that took at least partly from a Chinese etymology. It has a magical, mystical vibe which actually works pretty well for this design, I think.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Fusillady

A combination of "Fusillade" + "Lady".

Pronounced: "FEW-si-LAY-dee"
IPA: /ˈfyo͞osəˌlādē/

I'm operating under the assumption that this is a 100% female pokemon. Given sword and shield's setting in a UK inspired setting, including the title of Lady seems appropriate.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Axonova

A combination of "Axolotl" (the animal CAP 27 is based on) and "Supernova" (a spectacular explosion, fitting with the theme).

Pronounced: AKS-oh-NOH-va
IPA: ˌæksoʊˈnoʊvə or ˌæksəˈnoʊvə

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Final Submission

Frilluminate

A combination of Frill and Illuminate

pronounced: Fri-Loom-Ee-Naet

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Whizzler

whiz + sizzler

Pronounced: wiz-lr

Whiz and sizzler are both thematically relevant for various reasons. Considering CAP 27’s art is primarily inspired by fireworks, it seemed like an ideal place to start. Whiz is to move quickly through the air with a whistling or whooshing sound and is a synonym for rocket. Sizzle is to burn or sear with a hissing sound. It is fitting of the fire-typing and there is a firework called a sizzler.

Final Submission

Axosplode

"Axolotl" + "Explode

Pronounced: "axo-SPLODE"

CAP 27 is an axolotl. CAP 27 is based on a firework, which explodes. Put them together, and you get Axosplode.

Final Submission

Ryuminous

Ryu (Japanese for Dragon) + Luminous

Fairly simple. Ryu relates to its Dragon typing, and Luminous for its more magical, firework based design.

Pronounced: Re-u-me-nous

Final Submission

Glissiren

A combination of "Glisten" + "Siren".

Pronounced: "Gli-SIGH-ren"

A siren is both a type of salamander and a beautiful mythical singer, both of which seem appropriate for CAP27. Glisten plays to the "sparkly" nature of the art, and is also evocative of "glycerin", part of the explosive nitroglycerin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)