CAP 28 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

None of the abilities on the slate really make sense for my dragon-hornet, so I'm experimenting with a new design. In the event that we end up with Neutralizing Gas, this is my new working design.

It is based on the Lord Howe Island stick insect (LHISI), an enormous insect whose story is the stuff of legends.

The giant was always extremely rare, endemic to only one small island (Lord Howe) off the coast of New Zealand, but it was wiped out by rats in 1920. For decades, the LHISI was thought to be extinct. But in the 60s, there were tales of possible survivors on an island in the clouds called Ball's Pyramid.

No, I'm not making this up. That's really what it looks like.

In 2001, a team of rock climbers scaled this thing AT NIGHT, and found, miraculously, all that remained of the species living in ONE SHRUB on this one ridiculous island--just 24 individuals. Two years later, they eventually got a permit to catch four of them. Two died, and a third almost died, but eventually the one pair was bred successfully--there are now about 600 adults.

I felt the LHISI's backstory and appearance were both perfect for a (potentially mythical) dragon pokemon. I also thought the absurd height of their lone island made it fitting for the insect design to be crossed with a cloud dragon, justifying Neutralizing Gas.

I tried to make it seem dragon-like in it's style and movement while having an overall insect body plan, merging characteristics when I could (insectoid clawed feet, fangs reminiscent of mandibles, and whiskers being the antennae). All suggestions are appreciated.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
All righty, I digitalized the last drawing and gave it some colors and shading. :) I know that this would be a waste of effort if we get an ability that doesn't match, but I had time this weekend, so I figured I'd get a head-start. I'm also not investing too much in the design since I figure I don't have that great a shot at winning art after CAP 27.

I originally wasn't planning on doing this in a facsimile of the official Pokemon style, but the shading started veering in that direction, and the outlines seemed close enough, so I went with it. :P Again, none of this is set in stone. The design is subject to change depending on ability/stats/moves.

Thanks to KoA, Mos-Quitoxe, Mova, Sun, Pipotchi, and Zephyr2007 for feedback on where to go with the design. :D

flying moose this gas bug has really good bones with the backstory and great incorporation of Chinese dragon aesthetics and I like it a lot. 2 (3?) suggestions:
  1. I think a good way to give this guy more "weight" would be to thicken the legs a little. I think it could "even out" the design better with thicker legs contrasted against the wider body, without sacrificing the "insect-like spindliness" I see you're going for.
  2. Maybe tweak the main image so all 6 legs are visible? I had to do a double take since the gas cloud is obscuring the sixth, and I think that could confuse a viewer, even though its presence is implied.
  3. Not really a suggestion but I think the profile image you attached at the end got a little effed up. I click on it and it's super small, and the resolution is not good to zoom in and look at it that way.
Another design I really like is Birkal. I actually disagree with Deck Knight's suggestion about making the arms more jointed or removing a pair. My suggestion is maybe lean into the cuter elements of this design by making the arms more "nubby", kind of like Cleffa's hands. IMO it's a lot easier to envision it emoting or moving than with the sharper claw-like hands. Other than that, I think a major strength of this design is the less-is-more approach to the mothlike elements. The horns, tail, and jaw contrast nicely with the big wings and fluffy abdomen. Adding a couple more markings to the wings (and maybe to the tail or adding toenails) may be all you need.

Last edited:
Not too much of a drastic change with this version of the snake, but I segmented the hood for a more insect feel, removed the other hole in the beehive, and added an incense motif, alongside general color improvements.

https://imgur.com/a/vwCJG8y

Last edited by a moderator:
i know its not all that good, but i just wanted to share it.

MOD EDIT: removed attachment
Modedit: removing poll-jumping flavor

WIP

now in version 5.0 and it changed quite a bit, altroughy most of the changes arent definitive
*changed completely the color pallete, now based on red soil, which is a type of soil that termites use, i remplaced the pinks to a dark purple
**now there's a queen in its mouth, its painted blue to fit with the now also blue smokes
***small changes not listed
edit: added details like the eyes on the holes, cracks all over the body, and improved the shading and a bit of the outline

thanks all for the support, is insane :3

Last edited:
W I P

now in version 5.0 and it changed quite a bit, altroughy most of the changes arent definitive
*changed completely the color pallete, now based on red soil, which is a type of soil that termites use, i remplaced the pinks to a dark purple
**now there's a queen in its mouth, its painted blue to fit with the now also blue smokes
***small changes not listed

with this i think it really looks more draconic and fearsome, i still need to add some eyes popping out from the holes on its body, the shadows and details like cracks

thanks all for the support, is insane :3

That's a sick improvement bro, keep up the awesome work!

MOD EDIT: removed quoted image

WIP

So Neutralizing Gas is the primary ability, it never crossed my mind while I was sketching. My idea its to do the neck and tail like a gas pipe,
taking advantage of the cylindrical shape. I did some basic coloring too, for some reference. I appreciate all feedback!

WIP

its a double barrel camel spider shotgun, i mostly based this off the fact that camel spiders look like the have two mouths
i already didnt like my first design that much, and i didnt want to tack nuet gas onto it so i thought id make something new and more inspired

i also did this slight revision to make more parts of the design clear, although i like the fatter cannons in my first draft
feedback is welcome, things i already want to work on is making it look more organic and less steel, and giving it a better face/eyes

Concept 2 WIP

Please make feedback on my CONCEPT 1 or CONCEPT 2 designs and whenever the information on abilities and stats I will choose one to work on.
The first is physical, this one is special or physical...
BUG/DRAGON
Neutralizing Gas is the primary ability, so it is looking like C2 might be the one, but I need to wait for the other abilities bc I don't know if Stakeout or Tough Claw will be a second or hidden ability...then C1 will take over. Also, have to wait for stats.

Design Detail: I went for a millipede and a sci-fi route. The gas is nitrogen which is a neutral gas and "it is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is the most plentiful element in Earth's atmosphere and is a constituent of all living matter." (supports Neutralizing Gas, it is literally NEUTRAL gas lol) (supports Bug bc it is a bug in real life) (supports dragon as it is a long and tall creature, like ALOLAN Exeggutor, plus Dragon is a myth/folklore creature, but we found evidence that they lived/are still living on Earth, like aliens.. I know, big brain). The blue areas are its real flesh embodying alien liquid into its body. I don't how to draw scales with making then look dumb, so I used a filter in the SUPPORT art, link below.

Design Edit: I know nitrogen is colorless like Dragapult's tail, but making it clear will be a problem, so I chose grey as gray is usually depicted in real life, it is a lighter grey so it is less dangerous then darker smoke. Plus the glow from the blue flesh makes it have a blue tone to it.

This is the support art, I will leave a link... DesignBugDragothumb.jpg and below is the design I chose based on the discussion of the stat limiting as my first idea was a physical mantis idea.

MOD EDIT: removed attachment

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

Looks like my stinkbug survived the ability phase, so here we are! I changed the green of the design to avoid comparisons with Flygon, and vastly improved the linework, even going so far as to try out a new style! I also changed the tip of the tail to something akin to a fumigation hose.

Supporting Art
Higher quality version

Last edited:

IBM

Banned deucer.
WIP

I forgot to post here lol. It's a bombardier beetle!​
I love this one, it fits perfectly with both bug and dragon type and has elements from a real animal, AND can be altered with a little more mouth smoke to fit neutralizing gas :blobthumbsup:

Decided to work on a third design
Based on both the Scorpionfly and Mantidfly, combining the most intimidating bits of each (tail and claws, that can also function as wings). The Ngas is like dragon breath I guess.
Edit: shrank head a little
https://imgur.com/a/HpDAQhA

Last edited:
WIP

https://imgur.com/a/sMj0XuX

I based this off of originally off a Dung Beetle, but clearly the body is very much different. It is more like an Ant/Wasp/Dragon super-hybrid haha.

The idea I originally had is that this thing began to carry around the dung of other Pokemon once it realized that the stench scared away predators and even stunned prey. And now it carries it all the time. Though the connection to this and Neutralizing Gas isn't as clear cut, to say, smoke coming off of pores like Weezing, I hope the concept of a smelly ball of dung comes through.

I didn't want to use moth-like wings (we already have Auromoth, Volcarona, and Frosmoth for that), and I thought dragon-wings would not fit and be a little plain and uninspired. The plates on the back come from the Stegosaurus. The Japanese word for dragon utilizes the same characters as dinosaur, so I believe it is fitting.

I'm unsure of the color palette; I think the brown is a refreshing change from the brightness of recent CAPmons, but there's nothing wrong with having colors. The dark brown parts colored in with a marker are supposed to be hexagonal scales, kind of like the armor of an Ankylosaurus.

The eyes too can be changed to be more Pokemon-like. But not necessary. Perhaps the tail could have more flair; perhaps blue feather-like structures.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Obviously still a rough sketch, but I wanted to get some more feedback before I move forward. You can see my previous iteration here. Moths emit pheromones, so I think having it release them through its fur and/or under its wings makes a lot of sense for Neutralizing Gas. I love the blue look, but could toy with another color upon request (purple?). I really want the wings to feel grand and swooping, so I think I want to make them even bigger in scope for the end result. I imagine this being huge, and I think I can accomplish that later down the road with shading and perspective. As always, feedback is appreciated!

Working-In-Progress
https://imgur.com/a/JTqvYFe
The browser I am using to do digital art is not very good so I hope it would still be okay!
It mainly looks like a Dragon, having a sharp horn, and for a Wyvern-like design, and also for the bug type, the wings look like butterfly wings
And I have no idea how to put the image there so there is only a link there
It also shares something that looks fast and agile
I hope you like it! This design shows Neutralizing Gas by what it's wings secrete when it flaps it's non-wyvern like wings

Last edited:
Final Submission
wCTQVj7 - Imgur.jpg

Design 2.0 reporting for duty. Shading is there, plus i gave it some gas. In the main image, the gas is supposed to look like its seeping out of its mouth sorta. The bottom left of the gas got cut out in the cropping unfort. In practice I imagine this ABSOLUTE UNIT would shoot it out of its mouth dragon breath style.

Here's it using the gas. Slowking for scale.

As always, pls hit me with critiques and whatnot.

Last edited:
WIP

Hi everyone, got this bug here. Its based on the Delhi Sands Flower-Loving Fly except it is the flower. All suggestions appreciated.

Edit: Hope that resize works

Last edited:

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
WIPs ig

Aaaaaa i now have two separate designs!

I've shown the top one a couple of times, and the only things i've really changed are the adding of "legs"", making the wings more functional, and adding an aroma from the honeycomb that should suffice for NGas

The bottom one is completely new, and it's essentially a gecko with a pollen balloon puff that broke and is emitting pollenated air. I think it's cute

But because of my massive indecision, i have no idea which one to pick.... so i'm leaving it up to you guys :) You can vote here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...UDUEW-dEwmibmN5n2xg4DwjQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

and i'll use whatever wins the poll!

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
WIPs ig

Aaaaaa i now have two separate designs!

I've shown the top one a couple of times, and the only things i've really changed are the adding of "legs"", making the wings more functional, and adding an aroma from the honeycomb that should suffice for NGas

The bottom one is completely new, and it's essentially a gecko with a pollen balloon puff that broke and is emitting pollenated air. I think it's cute

But because of my massive indecision, i have no idea which one to pick.... so i'm leaving it up to you guys :) You can vote here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...UDUEW-dEwmibmN5n2xg4DwjQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

and i'll use whatever wins the poll!
Personally, I think that the top one doesn’t need the aroma coming off the honeycomb, and that it would be better to have something to do with it in the supporting art, since the connection felt pretty loose when I first saw it, but it could be conveyed better in the supporting art, if you choose that design.

WIP

I think I'm done changing the concept, this is my favourite version so far.
The idea is different from before, though it has the same base.
It's a horned bug that has used evolution to resemble a dragon and look fierce, and it's not so friendly. Its sacks, that look like the dragon's eyes, contain the gas that flows out of the horn, through the holes that look like dragon's nostrils. It attacks by spraying the gas from its horn, that inhibits the opponent. On the back there are its wings that it can spread to fly, but its head doesn't open, there is only a pattern that resembles the dragon's teeth.

Last edited:

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Been skulking around on the discord for most of this process, so pardon my late entry into the thread. This is a WiP of the design I'm likely going to stick with.

WIP

Tried to give it a decent mix of both insectoid and draconian features. The horns on the head are flexible and taper towards the ends, giving a superficial physical appearance of antennae. It's got large forelegs to both support its weight, and also aid in flight, and it has a lengthened abdomen that channels out body heat with enough force to aid in takeoff and propulsion. When on the attack, this body part can also be used to discharge blasts of energy. Rounding out the biology is a set of insectoid wings that aid in flight. On each end of the forelimbs are vents that Dragonboi uses to further propel itself through the air.

Yes, I play far too much Monster Hunter. I will likely be changing the artwork to showing him in flight, because it will showcase how the gases are used more clearly.

Whoop so we're back to termite queen since NGas won.

Made her into more of a dragon queen sorceress lady (with hopefully more pokemon-like proportions), who cloaks herself in pheromones to control mating/uses them to neuter would-be queens (something termite queens do -- they release pheromones to control secondary reproductive females reproduction to control how large the colony expands)

Still don't have tablet access so here she is for the moment:

Imgur link: https://i.imgur.com/7Zj5rDu.jpg

Will probs post a feedback post soon for a bunch of designs. Everyone's creativity with this one has been v inspirational ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)