CAP 14 CAP 3 - Part 13 - Movepool Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is my movepool (but you probably guessed that :p )

EDIT: Final Submission

VGMs: 40
Total Unique Moves: 73
Acid Spray
Aromatherapy
Calm Mind
Charge Beam
Clear Smog
Coil
Encore
Eruption
Facade
Fire Blast
Flame Charge
Flamethrower
Frustration
Growth
Hidden Power
Hurricane
Lava Plume
Light Screen
Magnet Rise
Overheat
Payback
Power Whip
Protect
Rain Dance
Rapid Spin
Recover
Rest
Return
Signal Beam
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Stealth Rock
Substitute
Thunder
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Toxic
Toxic Spikes
Trick
Will-O-Wisp
Wish
Work Up

Attract
Aqua Ring
Camouflage
Dive
Double Team
Echoed Voice
Explosion
Flash
Fling
Gastro Acid
Giga Impact
Hyper Beam
Incinerate
Low Sweep
Pluck
Psych Up
Retaliate
Rock Smash
Rock Tomb
Round
Silver Wind
Soak
SolarBeam
Struggle Bug
Sunny Day
Swagger
Sweet Scent
Thief
Torment
Venoshock
Vine Whip
Wrap

-- Soak
-- Aqua Ring
-- Wish
01 Flash
01 Wrap
04 Vine Whip
11 Growth
14 Acid Spray
21 Toxic Spikes
24 Lava Plume
31 Will-O-Wisp
31 Toxic
34 Clear Smog
41 Coil
44 Power Whip
51 Recover
54 Gastro Acid
61 Venoshock
64 Eruption

10/15 (VGMs/total unique moves)

Flash, Toxic, Will-O-Wisp and Venoshock are also TMs, so I'm gonna count them as VGMs and unique moves at the TM section because I don't wanna muck about with extra bolding and stuff.

I'll explain how I've done the which-moves-at-what-levels. At level 1, Mollux learns Wrap . . . how is this meaningful? Well, 40 levels later it learns Coil, the second move that uses its tentacles to attack (or in this case defend). 40 is the magic number: after learning a move, 40 levels later, Mollux learns the "corresponding" move that similar in flavour:

Wrap-->Coil
Vine Whip--> Power Whip
Growth-->Recover
Acid Spray--> Gastro Acid
Toxic Spikes-->Venoshock
Lava Plume--> Eruption

A newly hatched Mollux would know Flash (hello, lava lamp!). This had no "corresponding move" as it's more of a technique that Mollux can do very easily and won't help it much in later life. Mollux also learns Wrap, and later Coil - it's just getting used to its body. It can't use fire or poison moves yet, it's taking baby steps.

Early on Mollux learns Vine Whip; it uses this move with its limbs or its rather long neck. Power Whip is a continuation of this. These moves are especially helpful for the water-loving fire-type, as it provide natural protection against the water types that may attack Mollux in the wild. While it has Dry Skin, water types can learn a variety of moves.

Mollux then learns Growth, and later Recover. You might wonder how these moves correspond? Well, I imagine Growth being Mollux temporarily making its limbs grow longer to make its attacks stronger. Recover uses the same technique, but this time to regenerate body parts as opposed to growing them longer.

Acid Spray is a key move of Mollux’s, being useful to scare off many different Pokemon with its Special Defence drop. While not the most powerful move, its strength lies in weakening the opponent. This holds true for Gastro Acid, which negates the opponent’s ability.

Toxic Spikes is next, and it corresponds with Venoshock. How could this be!? Well, Toxic Spikes is a trap. Mollux lays down the T-Spikes and waits . . . and waits . . . until eventually its prey is stupid enough to run into them. Initially the poison will weaken them enough for Mollux to catch them, and Venoshock builds on this, allowing Mollux to hunt more efficiently. Once poisoned, Venoshock spells the end for a poisoned Pokemon.

Next is Lava Plume – Mollux opens up its lamp/shell/whatever, and releases trippy coloured lava. You might notice by now that Mollux is really lacking in the fire department. Well, it can’t just up and empty its lamp like that *clicks fingers*. It wants to remain looking snazzy, so it saves its there-will-be-nothing-left-in-the-lamp attacks, Lava Plume and Eruption, for when it needs them. Luckily, these are some of Mollux’s best moves. Eruption is also the last move Mollux learns, being the most powerful.

Now to fill in the gaps (moves that don’t fit the magic number 40 thing). Aqua Ring and Soak are both water moves, there because Mollux is a Pokemon that is meant to do well in rain. They aren’t water attacks as such, but rather just water related moves that a Pokemon like Mollux should learn IMO (it’s good for playing in the rain, but it’s a fire type too!). Wish is the only non-flavour move that’s here, mainly because I like Wish.

Will-O-Wisp and Toxic are learnt at the same level. These correspond with Mollux’s type (duh), make great flavour moves, and I generally like the idea of Mollux learning these two moves at the same level. Clear Smog is also thrown in there, because it seemed like a logical place to put it (I don’t think it even worked with my egg groups!).

04 Calm Mind
06 Toxic
09 Venoshock
10 Hidden Power
11 Sunny Day
15 Hyper Beam
16 Light Screen
17 Protect
18 Rain Dance
21 Frustration
22 SolarBeam
24 Thunderbolt
27 Return
32 Double Team
34 Sludge Wave
35 Flamethrower
36 Sludge Bomb
38 Fire Blast
39 Rock Tomb
41 Torment
42 Facade
43 Flame Charge
44 Rest
45 Attract
46 Thief
47 Low Sweep
48 Round
49 Echoed Voice
50 Overheat
56 Fling
57 Charge Beam
59 Incinerate
61 Will-O-Wisp
64 Explosion
66 Payback
67 Retaliate
68 Giga Impact
70 Flash
73 Thunder Wave
76 Struggle Bug
77 Psych Up
83 Work Up
87 Swagger
88 Pluck
90 Substitute
94 Rock Smash
06 Dive

21/47 (VGMs/total unique moves)

The four TM moves in the level up list have now been counted as VGMs and unique moves. Work Up isn't counted as a VGM, and therefore not bolded, because it's a repeat of Growth; Frustration is a repeat of Return too.

So flavour talk again. Some moves (like Calm Mind) I can’t justify with flavour. They’re basically there to be competitive moves. But alas, I’ll try to explain the ones I can.

Light Screen, Charge Beam, ThunderWave, Thunderbolt – these are “light” moves. Mollux learns Flash at level 1, but the whole “hello, lava lamp” concept wasn’t gone into. It is here. Aside from Thunder, I gave Mollux all the electric moves (apart from the ones I didn’t give him). But it’s charging and light, all very lava lamp-y moves IMO.

Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb/Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Flame Charge – type flavour moves. I don’t think they need much explaining.

Rock Tomb – okay, so with this I was thinking Mollux would be roaming around underwater as it does. Then it sees a rock wall/cave/rocky structure. It attacks it and causes it to fall on another pokemon! Yeah, this was farfetched, but whatever.

Low Sweep – in the same way that Mollux learns Vine/Power Whip, it can use its limbs or neck to trip up its opponents.

Explosion – I gave it Eruption. Erupt =/= explode, but it’s close enough.

Struggle Bug – it’s in the Bug egg group.

Pluck – I imagine Mollux being able to ka-cha and use its mouth to steal the opponent’s berry.

Rock Smash – kinda in the same vein as Rock Tomb.

Dive – the whole idea of Mollux moving about underwater again. I initially thought I shouldn’t (because there’s no Surf) but Surf is carrying around a person on a tidal wave. Dive in just diving underwater. Very Mollux.

Aromatherapy
Camouflage
Encore
Hurricane
Magnet Rise
Rapid Spin

Silver Wind
Signal Beam
Stealth Rock

Sweet Scent
Thunder
Trick

9/12 (VGMs/total unique)
Most of these don’t have flavour reasoning, it’s just a dumping group for competitive moves that I couldn’t fit anywhere else. But if I was to do flavour reasoning:

Aromatherapy + Sweet Scent (they’re kinda that same type of move); Camouflage because I imagine the trippy lava lamp changing colour; Silver Wind (it’s in the bug egg group); Signal Beam because it’s a light attack and ,again, bug egg group.
e moves)

Oh, and the egg groups. Water 3 because that’s where kinda-but-not sea creatures were (Lilleep, Shellder). But because it’s one of two legitimate egg move ways to get illegal Thunder + Hurricane. There was fairy but there was Clefable, with Thunder + Encore + Aromatherapy + Trick + Stealth Rock >.<

In brackets is how the parent get the move. It was mainly for my reference during the illegalities stage, but someone else might like to see it.
Aromatherapy: Parasect (lvl)

Camouflage: Mothim (lvl); Leavanny (egg)

Encore: Shuckle (lvl);Volbeat, Shelmet (egg)

Hurricane: Volcarona (lvl)

Magnet Rise: Forretress (lvl); Volcarona (egg)

Rapid Spin: Forretress (lvl); Tentacruel, Cloyster, Kabutops, Armaldo (egg)

Silver Wind: Butterfree Venomoth, Ledian, Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain, Mothim, Volcarona (lvl); Beedril, Yanmega, Scizor, Ninjas, Volbeat, Flygon, Kricketune (TM); Leavanny (egg)

Signal Beam: Venomoth, Volbeat, Galvantula (lvl); Masquerain, Flygon (egg); Butterfree, Cloyster, Ariados, Yanmega, Forretress, Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain, Mothim (4G tutor)

Stealth Rock: Crustle (egg); Pinsir, Omastar, Kabutops, Forretress, Shuckle, Corsola, Cradily, Armaldo, Gliscor (TM)

Sweet Scent: Masquerain, Combee (lvl); Parasect, Shuckle (egg)

Thunder: Volbeat, Galvantula (TM)

Trick: Volbeat (egg)

Aromatherapy + Camouflage/Encore/Hurricane/Magnet Rise/Rapid Spin/Silver Wind/Signal Beam/Stealth Rock/Thunder/Trick

Camouflage + Aromatherapy/Encore/Hurricane/Magnet Rise/Rapid Spin/Stealth Rock/Sweet Scent/Thunder/Trick

Encore + Aromatherapy/Camouflage/Hurricane/Magnet Rise/Rapid Spin/Thunder

Hurricane + Aromatherapy/Camouflage/Encore/Rapid Spin/Signal Beam/Stealth Rock/Sweet Scent/Thunder/Trick

Magnet Rise + Aromatherapy/Camouflage/Encore/Sweet Scent/Thunder/Trick

Rapid Spin + Aromatherapy/Camouflage/Encore/Hurricane/Silver Wind/Sweet Scent/Thunder/Trick

Silver Wind + Aromatherapy/Rapid Spin/Stealth Rock

Signal Beam + Aromatherapy/Hurricane

Stealth Rock + Aromatherapy/Camouflage/Hurricane/Silver Wind/Thunder/Trick

Sweet Scent + Camouflage/Hurricane/Magnet Rise/Rapid Spin/Thunder/Trick

Thunder + Aromatherapy/Camouflage/Encore/Hurricane/Magnet Rise/Rapid Spin/Stealth Rock

Trick + Aromatherapy/Camouflage/Hurricane/Magnet Rise/Rapid Spin/Stealth Rock/Sweet Scent

Notable Illegalities

Aromatherapy + Encore/Rapid Spin/Stealth Rock

Encore + Rapid Spin

Hurricane + Thunder

Notable legalities

Encore + Stealth Rock (Shuckle)

Encore + Signal Beam/Thunder/Trick (Volbeat)

Hurricane + Magnet Rise (Volcarona)

Rapid Spin + Stealth Rock (Forretress)

Well, this is it, the thing that kinda matters to the movepool. I’ve made lots of flavour decisions, but now competitive ones!

There were no “competitive decisions”, they’re all flukes.

Physical

Power Whip

This is basically it. Even then, it’s kinda outclassed by Hidden Power Grass on Mollux. It’s basically there for flavour then.

Special

Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave, Venoshock
Eruption, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Lava Plume, Overheat
Hidden Power
Solarbeam
Charge Beam , Thunder , Thunderbolt
Hurricane
Signal Beam

I’ve given Mollux three different options for poison STAB. Venoshock works well in conjunction with Toxic (Spikes), and is Mollux’s most powerful move poison move. Sludge Bomb or Sludge Wave, only one was necessary but there’s no actual harm in giving it both. They’re both good alternatives to Venoshock, which admittedly is very situational.

In terms of fire moves, Flamethrower, Fire Blast and Overheat were basically necessary moves for a fire type. Lava Plume was also required. Eruption is the only “choice” move; it’s got that weird relationship with Dry Skin in rain, but it’s also good on an Illuminate sun Mollux.

Hidden Power and Solarbeam – they were required (at least I think Solarbeam was).

Now coverage moves. Mollux, being a lamp and all, can use electric moves. Thunder is for use in rain, while Thunderbolt is the out of rain alternative. Charge Beam, whilst inferior to Calm Mind, and Growth in sun, is here for flavour only.

As for the other electric moves, Thunder works great in rain – if we’re giving this thing Dry Skin (which we are) then it should have some other tools to work with in rain. Hurricane is also there (but illegal with Thunder). Thunderbolt is a nice coverage move for outside of rain.

That leaves Signal Beam (and Silver Wind). I just thought to give Mollux some kind of bug move, being in the bug egg group and all. Signal Beam is a powerful move against psychic opponents, and it could be a good coverage move for a choice set, but that’s about it. I don’t value it much.

Status + non-damaging

Calm Mind
Coil
Flame Charge
Growth
Light Screen
Magnet Rise
Substitute

Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Toxic Spikes

Aromatherapy
Aqua Ring
Recover
Rest
Wish

Thunder Wave
Toxic
Will-O-Wisp
Trick

Acid Spray
Clear Smog
Encore
Gastro Acid
Low Sweep
Protect
Rain Dance
Soak
Sunny Day
Torment

There’s a great big list of non-damaging moves. Well, it’s try to give an explanation time.

In terms of set up move, I’ve given Mollux some options. The best would probably be Calm Mind – while Mollux’s isn’t “meant” to be a set up sweeper, that shouldn’t mean it can’t. Calm Mind + Recover + 2 attacks would be a nice combination. Mollux also has the ability to use Light Screen; if I’ve got this whole “pivot” thing down, Light Screen makes for a good pivot move. It protects Mollux and the next Pokemon that you switch in. It could protect against being OHKO’d by Heatran’s EP, but otherwise it doesn’t affect Mollux’s threats that much as they’re physically-inclined. Magnet Rise is an immunity to ground move (but you knew that), it makes Mollux harder to take down by its counters but a well timed Stone Edge will still screw it over. Oh, and Magnet Rise allows Dugtrio’s Arena Trap to now work. Flame Charge and Coil are lesser boosting moves, although Coil might be fun to boost Fire Blast and Octazooka’s accuracy to 100%. The defence boost would be nice too, but the attack boost, not worth mentioning. Oh, and Substitute is a given.

For hazard moves, Mollux can get all of Rapid Spin, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock on the same set (thanks Forretress). I don’t think we’re likely to see both TS and SR on the same set though, as I don’t think Mollux has the moveslots for both. Toxic Spikes, while a pretty decent move, will be quickly removed due to other Mollux in the playtest; Stealth Rock’s purpose is to make sure there’s more SR in the playtest, since it really screws with other (or you own) Mollux. Rapid Spin would allow Mollux to be rid of the SR (or Spikes) that plague it, but Mollux still takes damage from SR or Spikes as a spinner, both of which it dislikes (to counterbalance this, it does have Dry Skin in rain though).

Healing moves: Recover is necessary, I think, for Mollux. It’s a great weapon (or not-weapon) to use against rain stall. Aromatherapy is a good move that fits the concept of the “type makeover” – Mollux’s bad typing makes it a decent status blocker, and it can switch in on Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, and absorb Toxic Spikes and then cure its other team members. Wish also aids Mollux is its cleric-ing duties. The rest of these moves are either givens (Rest) and Aqua Ring is there for fun with rain + Dry Skin + Leftovers + Substitute. I haven’t made Recover illegal with the hazards or Rapid Spin, because even if Mollux were to run Recover + Hazard + Rapid Spin, it only has a moveslot for one other move. If this is a non-attacking move it’s screwed over by Taunt (then it can only spin), even so a Mollux with only Lava Plume is trolled by Heatran, one with only Thunderbolt is trolled by Gliscor.

Now the status/screw over your opponent moves. Wil-O-Wisp and Toxic were givens . . . Thunder Wave allows for Mollux to outspeed certain Pokemon (the main one that comes to mind is Heatran) but it doesn’t screw over Mollux’s potential checks that much – Dugtrio or Gliscor won’t mind it. While it is able to cripple stuff like Terrakion, it’s not like Mollux couldn’t already do that with Will-O-Wisp. Trick is mainly here with the tricking of a choice item in mind, it allows Mollux to run the three attacks + Trick on a choice set.

Lastly there’s these moves I don’t have a name for. Some were necessary anyways. As for the non-necessaries. Clear Smog is the only means of phasing I’ve given Mollux. This is deliberate: it gives Mollux trouble with Substitute. It’s not Roar, forcing the opponent to switch; it just takes away its opponent’s boosts. Sub + set up sets should troll Mollux I reckon. I mean it can inflict 3/5 of the main statuses, so clearly Subs will give it trouble already. This already adds to it. Ah, Encore. This allows Mollux to deal somewhat with rain stall teams (as I’ve heard people saying about Mollux) and it’s just a fun move to use in general. Gastro Acid, as was mentioned in an earlier discussion, would actually be quite good on Mollux. No Multiscale on Dragonite, Gliscor taking poison damage, opposing Mollux losing their Dry Skin. Fun fun fun. Low Sweep was flavour inspired, but it could be on a gimmick set to allow Mollux to hit and outspeeds its opponents on the switch in (Heatran comes to mind). Soak is there for the fun of being able to give certain types statuses they normally wouldn’t (eg poisoned Heatran) and Soak + Thunder would be surprisingly good. Lastly Torment is here for a set similar to TormenTran.

Coverage: In terms of coverage moves, Mollux boasts a few options for both STABs, Thunderbolt, and Solar Beam/Thunder/Hurricane for a powerful weather move, Signal Beam, and of course Hidden Power. I’ve chosen to exclude any of the other coverage options (Octazooka, Power Gem, Mud Shot) because those are all of fairly good types (Rock and Ground are, so is water in the rain) and they’re Hidden Power wannabes. They also give Mollux too many options. I think if Mollux wants a chance against Heatran it’s got HP Ground; if it wants a good water move for rain, HP Water.

Calm Mind: Mollux isn’t “meant” to be a set up sweeper? Shouldn’t mean it can’t. Honestly, I don’t see how a bit of versatility does any harm. Plus Calm Mind does provide those Special Defence boosts which are quite handy against some opponents. Mollux also has no way of raising its defence, aside from Coil, and I don’t think we’ll see too much of Calm Mind AND Coil on the same set. Dugtrio? Still kicks Mollux’s ass. Anything with Earthquake that outspeeds Mollux? Yeah . . .

Light Screen and Magnet Rise: I’ll quote from the only Smogon source I could find about what a pivot is: “whereas a defensive pivot will be difficult to break past, and thus will slow the opponent's momentum”. Light Screen and Magnet Rise both fall under “difficult to break past” in my book. One takes away Mollux’s 4X weakness; the other allows for Mollux to survive certain moves (Heatran’s EP? Haven’t actually done any calcs sorry) that otherwise wouldn’t ruined it’s difficult to break past duties.

Rapid Spin + Stealth Rock + Toxic Spikes + Recover: I’ve read some stuff about restrictions for these moves alongside Recover. Well, I honestly don’t see the harm. Say Mollux runs three attacks + Recover. Okay, so it can heal itself and has nice coverage. Say it runs two attacks and Recover + Stealth Rock/Rapid Spin/Toxic Spikes. It can Recover its health, support the team if it gets a free turn, but can only run two coverage moves. Lava Plume + Thunderbolt? Dragons screw you over. Lava Plume + Sludge Bomb? Heatran laughs in your face. Thunderbolt + Sludge Bomb (lol)? Do you see my point? Mollux must make a choice with only two moveslots. And imagine attack + Rapid Spin + Hazard + Recover. Fire/Electric/Poison is walled by Heatran/Ground/Steel. This isn’t to mention other options, like Encore, status inflicting moves, all of which limit the amount of these moves that Mollux can use. Sure, this allows for an all support Mollux but that’s hardly game breaking. Basically, there’s no illegalities because I don’t think them necessary.

Thunder Wave: not much justification here, actually. I just think having another status move will be good for Mollux. I haven’t thought about it is much as some other moves . . . but Thunder Wave is here. Deal with it :p

Other boosting moves: I originally have Iron Defence in my level up, but it just didn’t feel right. That lava lamp doesn’t look too sturdy. Oh, and I took to heart the “it can boost its special defence more readily than it’s defence.”

And, well, that’s it. The only thing I’ve really got to go over is the (il)legal egg move combinations for moves I added later on (like Signal Beam). Otherwise it’s nearly finished. The checking of the egg moves will probably come later today when I’m not supposed to be doing work (no one suspects I’m dong pokemon stuff on a word document :) ). And good luck to y’all :) I might give some feedback to you guys later (I haven’t looked at many of the other submissions ‘cause I didn’t wanna end up copying you).

Ok, I made my own movepool. This is my first submission ever, so I hope I don't make any big mistakes.

Level Up:

01-Withdraw
01-Bide
01-Constrict
07-Wrap
09-Poison Sting
13-Ember
15-Clear Smog
17-Confuse Ray
20-Acid Spray
29-Recover
38-Lava Plume
47-Acid Armor
56-Explosion
65-Eruption

Total: 14 moves / 7 VGM

Egg moves (Egg groups: Bug / Water 3):

Bug Bite
Final Gambit
Fire Blitz
Gastro Acid
Rapid Spin
Signal Beam
Stealth Rock
Tickle
Toxic Spikes
Trick

Total: 10 moves / 6 VGM

TMs:

06-Toxic
09-Venoshock
10-Hidden Power
11-Sunny Day
15-Hyper Beam
17-Protect
18-Rain Dance
20-Safeguard
21-Frustration
22-Solarbeam
24-Thunderbolt
25-Thunder
27-Return *(repeated with frustration)
28-Dig
32-Double Team
34-Sludge Wave
35-Flamethrower
36-Sludge Bomb
38-Fire Blast
42-Facade
43-Flame Charge
44-Rest
45-Attract
48-Round
50-Overheat
57-Charge Beam
59-Incinerate
61-Will-O-Wisp
64-Explosion *(repeated in level up)
68-Giga Impact
70-Flash
73-Thunder Wave
74-Gyro Ball
76-Struggle Bug
84-Poison Jab
87-Swagger
90-Substitute
91-Flash Cannon
94-Rock Smash

Total: 38 moves / 21 VGM (Not counting the repeated moves)

Total: 62 moves / 34 VGM

Some notables not included moves are:

Calm Mind (I don't see it as a good competitive option, because Mollux is too slow and easily killed by any ground attack).

Hurricane (I liked this one, but the restriction with Thunder was too troublesome).

Octazooka (I don't think it fit in the level up movepool, and nothing in the egg groups learn it).

Morning Sun/Moonlight (Mollux is damaged by the sun because of Dry Skin).

I'll try to do a list of egg moves legalities later, until then this is my final submission.

I couldn't dedicate quite the thought to design a movepool, I just have one oppinion about submissions. I don't see the point in including a TM as an egg move. It is understandable that it is done in game, and prior to Gen 5 it made a bit of sense because TM's weren't unlimited, yet now it just feels outdated. Especially if the pokemon then can't learn the move via TM, even though it is a TM. It could help stop certain very good/overpowered move combos. This is just my thought, which is probably a little more sense based then necessary.

Work in progress first-time movepool get!

(NB: I did NOT read through all the prior submissions, so any similarities to existing submissions are 100% coincidental.)

VGMs: 32
Total moves: 59

VGMs in Bold

01 Bide
01 Flash
04 Ember
10 Poison Gas
16 Acid Spray
22 Fire Spin
28 Amnesia
34 Toxic Spikes
40 Octazooka
46 Disable
52 Lava Plume
58 Signal Beam
64 Acid Armor

VGMs: 6/13

TM04 Calm Mind
TM06 Toxic
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 SolarBeam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return
TM28 Dig
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM35 Flamethrower
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM38 Fire Blast
TM42 Facade
TM43 Flame Charge
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM50 Overheat
TM56 Fling
TM57 Charge Beam
TM59 Incinerate
TM61 Will-o-Wisp
TM64 Explosion
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM76 Struggle Bug
TM83 Work Up
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Rock Smash

VGMs: 21/39

Charm
Eruption
Flare Blitz
Hurricane
Minimize
Morning Sun

VGMs: 4/6

Level-Up

The pattern I used was two starting moves followed by eleven moves spread out over each sixth level (starting at level 4). This provides an average-sized natural movepool that does not stray too far from Mollux's STABs (minus Octazooka and Signal Beam, which make at least a modicum of sense flavorwise).

I decided not to include Eruption and Explosion in the level-up movepool for specific reasons: namely, that I was attempting to buck the trend of several earlier posters that included both as the final moves in Mollux's level-up pool. The idea was that Mollux will have to rely mostly on moves it does not learn naturally, while not becoming completely independent of its own movepool (hence why I included moves such as Octazooka, Amnesia, and Acid Armor in the level pool). This arrangement allows Mollux to fulfill its concept by being more powerful in terms of survivability.

TMs

As with other submissions I've seen, the TM section was where I got most of my VGMs. This goes back to my desire to allow Mollux some amount of flexibility when using TMs. I specifically stayed away from certain moves moves because they either made no sense on Mollux (Earthquake, Sky Drop, Aerial Ace, etc.) or would not add anything significant to the concept (Trick Room, Psyshock, etc.). I also decided against including Thunder Wave so that Mollux would be good-but-not-great against its faster threats, having to hit them on the switch to be able to do enough damage (not to mention the fact that burn and Toxic outclass paralysis most of the time).

Fun fact: Mollux is the only non-legendary Pokemon immune to both burn and poisoning without abilities. Just throwing it out there.

Egg

Field/Fairy seems like an odd choice at first, so this requires a bit of explanation. At first I wanted to put Mollux in the Water 1 group like other posters. Then I remembered: It's a f**king Fire-type. Why would a Fire-type be in a Water egg group? So from there Field was the most logical choice. I included Fairy as well, mostly because of its appearance according to the artwork. Fairy is generally seen as the "cute" group, and that's essentially what Mollux is in my opinion. So yeah.

Comments?

@Drifblim: It's unusual, but not unprecedented. More importantly, Deck Knight required that entries which allow Hurricane must make it exclusive with Thunder, so both cannot be obtained for the same set, as Rain Mollux would then have too much toys to use. This can be done various ways - one is to use an Egg Group where Hurricane and Thunder can only be learned from different parents. Another option was making a Dream World move out of them. Those who gave Mollux access to Thunder via TM basically all give up on Hurricane.

On that note...

@Galladiator: You allow Thunder via TM and you have Hurricane among your Egg moves. That disqualifies your submission - please change that.

Also, picking Egg Groups based on flavor concerns is a bad idea... especially Field/Fairy. Smeargle is Field/Fairy. If you use either of those groups, it means you let Mollux take whatever Egg combination it wants because Smeargle will just Sketch what you need and pass it on.

I'm finalizing my submission by now (it's reply #46 back on page 2). There was only one comment about it I can recall, so it seems people have no problem with it. I don't hold high hopes of it winning but if it can stand out enough to make it to the poll stage that'll be cool.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Korski:Dragon Tail is fine, since it does negligible famage and the point is phazing, moves which are allowed.

Galladiator: You have Thunder and Hurricane legal together in your movepool.

Movepools accepted on slate:

nyttyn
Malkyrian
LouisCyphre
ZhengTann
TheReptile
Korski
bugmaniacbob
Banryu
Fritzmonger
DTC
Cretacerus
unwim
kjt

Notes: My preference would be if you don't include Hurricane, make Thunder one of your TMs. The point is they can't be on the same set, but you should be able to have one or the other without significantly diminishing Mollux's options. I like Banryu's for example but Galvantula-only Thunder hurts its options a lot, and I'd request moving it to TMs proper.

That's a pretty huge list. I'm going to parse it down because 13 is crazy to slate. What I've been looking for is movepools that include Direct Recovery + Stealth Rock + Rapid Spin for one set as well as Calm Mind for a different set. Calm Mind I actually like for its defensive properties, protecting it from random Hidden Power Grounds on Water-typed Pokemon we're supposed to threaten. It's too slow to be an outright CM sweeper, it does benefit greatly from the +SpD. I like Light Screen a lot as well, but I don't feel it's as vital to success as Calm Mind. Overall the quality of most submissions has been very high.

Now it's largely down to parsing favor. If you haven't yet, please mark down your final submissions. I won't issue the warning until tonight, but I will provide a shortened listing later.

Well, I've edited mine with a few things and final submissioned it :)

Uh, to whoever's saying that Smeargle is in the Fairy egg group it isn't. It's only in the Field group. Hope that clears up stuff that needed to be cleared.

And I suppose that's all I have to say. Good luck to everyone!

I really don't understand why everyone's hellbent on making Mollux suck. He needs all the help he can get, why is everyone putting an incredible amount of restrictions on him?

Think about it this way: Serperior is a pokemon who has a move slightly less powerful than Hyper Beam, but instead of having to recharge, it has a secondary effect of doubling in power every turn it's used, and it still isn't in DW OU (i barely ever see people use it). Whimsicott is Whimsicott and it's not in OU. This generation's had a ridiculous amount of power creep. Mollux needs an incredible movepool to make up for being incredibly subpar in every other area (except for being cute).

I'm not submitting a movepool because mine would probably get ripped apart and I don't really know what I'm doing, but I know well enough to see that Mollux needs help if you guys want it to not get completely screwed over.
I pretty much mirror this thought. Mollux started out so cool . . . but now it looks like it's pretty much going to end up blowing chunks. Not really sure it's salvagable at this point.... guess I'll just wait for th next CAP

Deck, what's wrong with my movepool? I have already finished it. Is it because I have not included SR?

I think that more needs to be explained about why the current slate is as it is. As far as I can tell, most of these movepools are very similar competitively, but some are superior to others in flavour. It would be of particular benefit to those who have been tweaking at their movepools for a long time before submissions.

For myself, I am aware that people might think I gave Mollux too many options (though actually I don't even know if this is the complaint, since I addressed everyone else's criticisms and edited accordingly). The main options are still Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin, Recover... all the good stuff that "should" be on Mollux, with the additions of Thunder Wave, Aromatherapy and Trick. I gave Thunder Wave a lot of thought, and that's why I even argued to allow it in the non-attacking move discussion. Moveslot competition will be very important on Mollux. If this is really what's preventing my movepool from making the slate, though, I will remove it. But really I have no idea.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Made my final submission with toxic spikes and recover being moved into the learn set so they can be used on all sets. Also changed the egg group from water 1 to water 3 which allows recover to also be used on more sets. Some other notable included moves are light screen, clam mind, and thunder wave as tms. Also trick and acid armor are now compatible with recover

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not sure why mine isn't listed on the slate either... I'm gonna finally put on some finishing touches today and mark it as final. Like you, Deck, I had a very busy week and didn't have time to edit it. But you know, don't slate it if you don't think it works. I don't see what's so horrible about mine to not merit at least slating.

Korski, Deck, I agree about Thunder and my egg movepool in general... since I've disallowed Hurricane, there's no reason Thunder can't be a TM move, so I'll be changing that whenever I get the opportunity. I also agree with Korski that my egg movepool is a touch swollen, that's been a concern of mine regarding it for quite some time now, so I'll do what I can to trim it down reasonably, maybe replace some less necessary flavor moves like Gastro Acid with some support options. Thanks for the input and I'm flattered to see that my submission made the initial slate. Changes will certainly be made to hopefully ensure that I make the next one as well.

EDIT: @ Korski specifically, you're right, I didn't include Acupressure and Disable and moves like that, I decided to just focus on competitive breeding combos, but you're right, I should have the non-competitive ones in there too. Thanks for pointing that out.

Finalized my submission. Making some pretty huge changes for the final submission is a bit of a risk, but honestly I think my current movepool is a lot better. All of the changes (except maybe dropping Smokescreen) were stuff I wanted to do ages ago but never had the time or proper mindset to figure out how to make it work.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything major among the edits. Good luck to everyone!

Okay... I think I'm done. I managed to cut the breeding movepool down to 12, which still might be a bit much, and if so then I'll chop Stockpile and Swallow as well. Acupressure, Disable, Haze, and Endeavor are gone from egg moves for their relative lack of both flavor and competitive value, Thunder is now a TM, Magic Coat replaces Acid Armor in level-up, and I've made the last-minute addition of Encore, which along with Clear Smog should hopefully give Mollux something to do against stat-upping sweepers, one issue raised to my attention by Korski. Since Deck wants SR/Rapid Spin/Recover all on one set, I have decided to move Recover from egg moves to levelup (in place of Morning Sun) as well. This will mean that Toxic Spikes and other support moves can be used in place of Stealth Rock as well, but if that's the direction we're taking it, that sounds all right to me. There are no good spinners that can take a hit and recover it off anyway so I suppose it's cool that we're allowing Mollux to do that.

I do disagree with Korski that that should be one of Mollux's main roles, however; eliminating or thwarting the boosting procedure can be a good way to pivot in some instances, I understand, but normally is not what a 'pivot' is designed to do. Encore seemed to me like the best way to thwart stat boosters while keeping Mollux in its pivotal role. This is my opinion, of course, but my movepool reflects it and I think I'm quite happy with it now with all things said and done.

Unless anyone has any more minor suggestions for me (like making the egg movepool smaller), my movepool is finalized and done.

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Alright, no more changes, I think I'll make this submission final. Done all I could, happy to make the initial slate, a big Thank You to everyone who helped, and another big Good Luck to those who made the voting slate.

Link here - I don't think it'll be good idea to copy-paste the same post wall.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Bitches I'm like Betty Crocker and Emerl! Two step cooking process and BAM! Kicked it up a notch!

Or in other words, my movepool is now Final. I have tinkered the fuck out of it and am now satisfied. Technically I can still edit to my heart's content until the thread closes, but I'm done unless I get unslated, in which case I'll edit again.

Bughouse

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well, I see it's not going to be slated for reasons that I can't control. I'm not compromising certain aspects of my movepool for Deck's listed reqs. If he slates mine, great. I'd be glad to see him slate something a little different from what he was looking for and let the community have a say. But if not, that's fine too I suppose. I just didn't have time to edit anything more in, in the end. So I've marked it as final.

I added Calm Mind, but I didn't want to compromise my egg/level-up movepool to enable Direct Recovery + Stealth Rock + Rapid Spin as per Deck's wish. The only way to do that is by putting either Recovery or Rapid Spin in the Level-up and I didn't want to do that.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So after a grueling process, I've lowered the slate down to seven and reconsidered some movepools. I feel these movepools have all the competitive requirements necessary while putting their own unique spin on Mollux's flavor.

nyttyn
Malkyrian
capefeather
bugmaniacbob
DTC
unwim
kjt

24 hour warning is in effect.

Damn. Congrats to everyone who made it this far.
I've got no regrets; I'm proud for making it as far as I did, hahaha~ Good luck to those who remain!

So, after a bit of work, I went and made this. It's a spreadsheet, showing who has what moves, among the movepools listed in Deck's slate in post 96. I feel like it'll help people make better informed votes. Of course, I encourage people to check movepools as they stand, since neither flavor moves nor specific egg move illegalities are listed on the spreadsheet. Also, please let me know if I missed anything in making the spreadsheet so I can fix any issues.

Movepools listed below:

nyttyn
Malkyrian
capefeather
bugmaniacbob
DTC
uwnim
kjt

So proud to be on the slate. Good luck to all submissions!

Bughouse

Malkyrian, generally the TL makes one of those anyway. Unfortunately, I figure Deck will make one independently and you will have wasted your time on that. If not, though, thank you for saving Deck some work.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Several of those moves listed are non-competitive. Plus, I have Confuse Ray and Fire Spin (whirlpool equivalent). Thanks for making it though mate, makes shit easier on all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)