CAP 32 - Part 5 - Primary Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, Nidoking has not run Earthquake since it got Sheer Force. In fact, it barely ran Earthquake in DPP despite not having Sheer Force yet!
That's actually a great example of what I'm talking about. Nidoking's base Atk is better than its base SpA, and Earthquake has 10 more bp, so on the face of it Nidoking should prefer Earthquake, unless he was specifically targetting threats that were more physically bulky than specially (I assume this is what was going on in DPP?).
But Sheer Force does not apply to Earthquake, and it does apply to Earth Power, so Earth Power gets used and Nidoking invests in SpA instead. The limitations of Sheer Force led to usage beyond what his stats would suggest. If Nidoking had Parental Bond, he would just do the obvious thing and run Earthquake with Atk investment.

Last edited:
Parental Bond is different from a flat multiplier even considering it affects every move, due to the strike twice mechanic. A mon with it could:

- Activate a sash and finish off the target with one Earthquake.
- Drop the opponent's special attack twice with one Moonblast, or have a higher chance to drop it once.
- Take Rocky Helmet chip twice when using one Body Slam.
- Finish off a substitute and deal additional chip damage while pivoting out with U-turn.
- Deal 75% instead of 50% with one Super Fang, or 200 damage instead of 100 with one Seismic Toss.
- Deal double damage with one Counter/Metal Burst etc. (Did not know this one! Thanks Bulbapedia!)
- Have a higher chance to crit through the opponent to gain a tempo advantage or outright win a Calm Mind war.
(Attacks listed are theoretical for the sake of example.)

These utility aspects and others, positive and negative, distinguish middling stat+Parental Bond from the equivalent high stat and make it worthwhile for consideration.

Parental Bond is different from a flat multiplier even considering it affects every move, due to the strike twice mechanic. A mon with it could:

- Activate a sash and finish off the target with one Earthquake.
- Drop the opponent's special attack twice with one Moonblast, or have a higher chance to drop it once.
- Take Rocky Helmet chip twice when using one Body Slam.
- Finish off a substitute and deal additional chip damage while pivoting out with U-turn.
- Deal 75% instead of 50% with one Super Fang, or 200 damage instead of 100 with one Seismic Toss.
- Deal double damage with one Counter/Metal Burst etc. (Did not know this one! Thanks Bulbapedia!)
- Have a higher chance to crit through the opponent to gain a tempo advantage or outright win a Calm Mind war.
(Attacks listed are theoretical for the sake of example.)

These utility aspects and others, positive and negative, distinguish middling stat+Parental Bond from the equivalent high stat and make it worthwhile for consideration.
Something crucial about Parental Bond is it activates Stamina twice. Probably the most relevant side effect of the ability IMO, especially since the tier is currently dominated by the book.

I don't have concerns about Electric Surge warping the process nor do I have concerns about it breaking the metagame. However, it does make CAP 32 extremely one-dimensional, as it causes the rest of the stages to revolve around setting up terrain for Quark Drive mons / Caribolt (for the record, Iron Jugulis would also definitely see use on teams like that).
Why does it necessarily constrain the process to setting up Terrain? I think you are overestimating the usefulness of Electric Terrain. SM Electric teams were popular because one of the best Pokemon in the metagame had Electric Surge, and it wasn't really the best in the metagame because of Electric Surge but because its stats, incredible typing, and wide movepool all allowed it to take on a wide range of roles. Koko was an insanely strong abuser of its own terrain, a great pivot, a support mon that could remove hazards or set up screens, a stallbreaker that had Roost, Taunt, and a halving move, and one of the fastest Pokemon in the metagame. I just don't think that's comparable at all to what 32 is supposed to be. Also, I think most of the time people would rather have Hawlucha as their Flying sweeper on a terrain team.

On the matter of slating Earth Eater vs. Levitate, I don't think it matters much which one is slated, but only one of them should be slated. These two abilities are obviously very similar, so slating both of them and taking the spot of a different ability that gives a different path seems wrong to me.
They do two different things and only share a single characteristic. Earth Eater doesn't provide an immunity to non-rocks hazards, and Levitate doesn't provide an unconditional immunity or heal. IMO I think Earth Eater is the better one in a metagame with Tusk, because Heavy Duty Boots are going to be necessary no matter what. Retaining immunity to Spikes if you're hit by Knock Off just doesn't seem worth it when Rocks are a much larger (and more common) problem. Earth Eater is more valuable against Ground types in general, particularly Garchomp, and provides greater longevity through healing. Clearly these abilities change 32's roles and should be slated together even if Earth Eater is the better choice.

Okay everyone, it is about time I posted the final slate for this stage! I've made a few changes since I posted a preliminary slate, which I'm hoping helps better represent the choices that are favored. So here it is:

• Magic Guard
  • Adaptability
  • Pixilate
  • Levitate
  • Prankster
  • Electric Surge
  • Sharpness
  • Parental Bond

Magic Guard is an ability that does many things at once for CAP32. The immunity to any form of chip damage means we are a lot less reliant on our raw bulk if we want to take certain hits. Additionally, our item slot is a lot less confined to Heavy-Duty Boots, as we don't have to worry about hazard damage. Notably this potentially lets us increase our offensive pressure as well, using a now drawback-less Life Orb for a free 1.3x boost to all our attacks. Out of all the abilities on the slate, Magic Guard is likely the strongest option, so it's no wonder it has been popular throughout this stage.

Adaptability has been mentioned as a surefire way to boost the damage output of our STABs by 1.3x, which means we don't have to spend as much of our limited stat budget on offenses. The ability is quite simple in practice, but it works well here.

Pixilate massively expands our list of usable Fairy STAB moves, adding many useful Normal-type moves to that pool, especially so on the physical side. It then also gives these moves a small power boost. This grants CAP32 access to tools most other currently relevant Fairy types do not, allowing it to carve out one or several niches for itself.

Levitate has been suggested as a more defensive ability CAP32 could make great use of. A ground-immune CAP32 matches up really well into most of the tier's relevant Ground types, and doesn't have to worry about catching stray Earthquakes from the likes of Roaring Moon and Dragonite. Even though Earth Eater has been popular as well, in the end I only wanted to slate one of the two abilities in order to create a more diverse ability slate, and out of the two Levitate has seen more support as of late.

Prankster gives our status moves priority, which can greatly improve our matchup especially against offensive team styles. Many offensive Pokémon fear statuses like paralysis and burn, as well as move disruption. CAP32 naturally matches up well into Dark-type Pokémon that would be immune to our Prankster-boosted moves, which means it is hard to stop CAP32 from generating value once it is in.

Electric Surge is more of a team-centric ability, as its main draw is the ability to enable other Pokémon on the team, such as strong Electric-type Pokémon as well as Pokémon with the Quark Drive ability. Looking at Pokémon like Torkoal and Pelipper, setting field conditions has been proven to be a relatively succesful route towards viability, even as a Pokémon with lower stats. As a small bonus, it also boosts CAP32s own Electric coverage by a fair bit and prevents sleep, though how much impact this will have remains to be seen.

Sharpness massively boosts one particular Fire-type STAB: Bitter Blade. This move is already quite good on its own, but boosting its power really helps CAP32 in maintaining offensive pressure while also keeping itself alive. What's more, Sharpness boosts the damage of a whole host of coverage moves by 1.5x as well, potentially allowing CAP32 to threaten more Pokémon with powerful pseudo-STAB moves.

Parental Bond has seen a lot of support towards the end of this stage, and for good reason. It inherently boosts the power of most attacking moves by 1.25x, which helps alleviate pressure on our offensive stats. However, due to these attacks hitting twice if they land, it also adds an added chance for secondary effects to occur, or even guarantees for them to occur a second time, letting CAP32 be more succesful in the utility department as well.

With that out of the way, I'd like to thank you all for the great discussion during this stage and for providing clear insight into what we want to accomplish with our primary ability. I'm going to hand the reins back over to spoo and shnowshner for now, but I'll be back when we decide on our other abilities!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)