CAP 3D Modeling Project

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Tomohawk is still awaiting Yveltal's feedback, but I've not stopped QC'ing it myself. Does the new version look better or worse? I've worked on it too long and I don't trust my judgement anymore.

;_; If Yveltal doesn't respond in a few days I'll have to move on (paintseagull, I trust your earlier feedback was enough!)
Also can I reserve texturing for Krilowatt?

Last edited:

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
QxC4eva I think the new Tomohawk version looks better! Thanks for your hard work on it! Let's see if Yveltal has anything to say, and if not after a few days we can say it's good to go to the next step.

Krillowatt is looking awesome guys, I've marked QxC down for Krillowatt's texture!

As for me I'm still stalled on getting to finish off Pyroak's texture! I've been busier/sicker than I'd like. I'll be out of town this week too so if I don't get a chance to do it tonight, it'll be Friday before I can work on it again. Crossing my fingers for a free moment tonight!

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
The model looks great so far. There are a few things I like from both the before and after versions. But there's just a few things I want to point out.

This scares me a bit. I'm not sure how well this will render out for a reason you can probably guess. This might be going too far as well when it comes to geometric detail. I think this detail can be represented better off in a texture in my opinion.

The same goes for this bit here, but this probably won't have a problem getting rendered. It still might be going a bit far on the geometric detail though, but I won't have a problem with this staying.

The rest of the model looks great though.

QxC4eva

Wow thanks for all the feedback! I'm going to work on the fursuit a bit more.

DJTHED I agree there's a lot of detail. Uh, blame me that I want this to look good in HD as well as a sprite. There'll be a setting on the rig to flip between wireframe or texture mode depending on the render resolution. The fursuit UVs will allow room for the extra feathers and even his hands to be textured on (which can be enabled or disabled any time).

Btw, Krilowatt is now colorful :D

Here's the updated source files.

No one claimed the rig, so I guess I'll make a start on that!

Golui

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡ǝuᴉɟ sᴉ ƃuᴉɥʇʎɹǝʌƎ
QxC4eva That looks phenomenal! The only thing missing from the textures is an AO map, but other than that, I absolutely love what you have done with it.

However, there is some issues with normals when importing the FBX to Blender. Might be a blender only issue, but I suggest you check it out.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
The only thing missing from the textures is an AO map
Pokemon textures don't use AO maps.

EDIT:
However, there is some issues with normals when importing the FBX to Blender. Might be a blender only issue, but I suggest you check it out.
This is actually an easy fix. Just select the meshes with the bad normals and "Recalculate" the normals in the Shading/UVs tab.

Last edited:
Tomohawk is still awaiting Yveltal's feedback, but I've not stopped QC'ing it myself. Does the new version look better or worse? I've worked on it too long and I don't trust my judgement anymore.

;_; If Yveltal doesn't respond in a few days I'll have to move on (paintseagull, I trust your earlier feedback was enough!)
Also can I reserve texturing for Krilowatt?
Sorry, I totally zoned out when you said you were done.
~i'll cry with you~
I would resize a few things and then pass it off for rigging. Right now, I'm working on a cloth dynamic control for Pyroak's skirt and hair that I think would work on Tomohawk as well.

Full critique to come in a little bit.

QxC4eva

Almost there! Please bear with me, I really hate painting weights. x_x

There are 77 joints in total; 63 deform the mesh, and the rest are there so you can place IK handles, etc on them. I hope there's not too many! Classic animators probably like to have fewer joints, and those who use physics or expressions prefer more. I went for a clumsy balance between the two.

QxC4eva

Krilowatt is done! The source files are here. Everyone is welcome to try animating it! (tagging DJTHED)

Here's a demo of what it's capable of doing!

If you look closely, there are some bad deformations on the mesh. My painted weights are not perfect, but I don't think the idle animation will be as dramatic as my test animations, so I think it's good to go!

QxC4eva Great job so far with Krilowatt! The minor details can be worked on (even though I was never a 3D artist), but I suppose you do that before downsizing this two-foot-four pistol shrimp, right?

I'd appreciate if you'd be aware of the official CAP sub-site's heights in comparison to each other. That way, Krilowatt won't appear only slightly smaller than, as big as, or bigger than, Plasmanta.

I'm pretty sure you know, so good job once again.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'd appreciate if you'd be aware of the official CAP sub-site's heights in comparison to each other. That way, Krilowatt won't appear only slightly smaller than, as big as, or bigger than, Plasmanta.
Just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure QxC didn't intend for those models to be the PS models, so the size comparison is not that big of a deal. Afterall, he was tagging DJ to pass the file around for other animations.

I haven't played Pokemon-amie in a while, but these look like they could fit in with something like that. These are the first renders I've seen attempt to show different emotions, and overall I think they go to show that the models being made definitely are not sure purely for PS. Guess I'm just chiming in to say great work to QxC and Dolui!

Amazing work being produced in this thread, as always!

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist

So how's this (I'll still need a shiny texture for Krilowatt by the way)? I wanted to make sure the pose was true to the original art as well as the 2D sprite.

So how's this (I'll still need a shiny texture for Krilowatt by the way)? I wanted to make sure the pose was true to the original art as well as the 2D sprite.
I have not been able to find the 2D animated sprite for Krilowatt, but I'll assume very little has been changed from it. The animated pose itself seems a bit odd considering Krilo seems to be "swaying" within the water and not independently moving its abdomen or legs, but there's no real reason for me to object to this. Fantastic work as usual.

QxC4eva

Oh DJTHED that's really good!!

Um, although something kinda looks a bit off. The motion path he's following looks unnaturally straight (you broke animation rule 7). I think there needs to be extra keyframes to make it oval instead of a straight line, that way it could mimic a bit of natural turbulence in the water... I'm not sure if it'll look better until I see it though.
Animation Arcs Principle said:
All actions, with few exceptions (such as the animation of a mechanical device), follow an arc or slightly circular path. This is especially true of the human figure and the action of animals. Arcs give animation a more natural action and better flow. Think of natural movements in the terms of a pendulum swinging. All arm movement, head turns and even eye movements are executed on an arcs.

And here's your shiny shiny textures. :D

DJTHED That Krilowatt looks amazing as well! It's very accurate to the official artwork. I had a good laugh with QxC's examples, though.

Golui

DJTHED I always imagined Krilo's animation to be more "zappy", with occasional minor muscle spasms (kind of like Porygon-Z, but milder). How about trying it out?

How about also making the antennae less synced?

Last edited:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist

Um, although something kinda looks a bit off. The motion path he's following looks unnaturally straight (you broke animation rule 7). I think there needs to be extra keyframes to make it oval instead of a straight line, that way it could mimic a bit of natural turbulence in the water... I'm not sure if it'll look better until I see it though.
Crap, I forgot to fix that before uploading the previous version. :S

Anyway, I revised the animation a bit more, and now we've got a shiny sprite too (though it's not quite 100% accurate to the shiny 2D sprite version
. Maybe the texture should be modified to look more like this?). Is there any further criticisms before I call this good?

Golui

Crap, I forgot to fix that before uploading the previous version. :S

Anyway, I revised the animation a bit more, and now we've got a shiny sprite too (though it's not quite 100% accurate to the shiny 2D sprite version
. Maybe the texture should be modified to look more like this?). Is there any further criticisms before I call this good?
I don't really think the claws match the movement, making it look quite unnatural. The path along which Krilo 'drifts' also seems too simple, making the whole animation look bland and monotone. It may be also that the easing is a little sharp. My previous criticism/suggestions still apply.

Sorry if it sounds like I hate the animation. It's very good and I'm just pointing out some personal touches I'd add.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
I don't really think the claws match the movement, making it look quite unnatural. The path along which Krilo 'drifts' also seems too simple, making the whole animation look bland and monotone.
Bland and simple is sort of what I'm going for. Most of Gamefreak's XY idle animations for their Pokemon don't tend to do anything interesting either. I'm just trying to make it fit in.

Also I'm not sure what specifically is causing you to think the claw movement as unnatural? Can you elaborate on that a bit?

My previous criticism/suggestions still apply.
I desynced the antenna's even more than they were already, but I guess it's not really that noticable?

And as for the twitchy animation suggestion, I think I'd want to see what other people think about that. If others seem to like that idea, I'll implement it.

Golui

Bland and simple is sort of what I'm going for. Most of Gamefreak's XY idle animations for their Pokemon don't tend to do anything interesting either. I'm just trying to make it fit in.

Also I'm not sure what specifically is causing you to think the claw movement as unnatural? Can you elaborate on that a bit?

I desynced the antenna's even more than they were already, but I guess it's not really that noticable?

And as for the twitchy animation suggestion, I think I'd want to see what other people think about that. If others seem to like that idea, I'll implement it.
The claws seem to react too quickly in relation to how it moves. Try adding a bigger of a delay maybe? It also seems that the tail fin should move in a more circular path, due to the path Krilo follows. I also just noticed the little vertical movement at the end, which I feel is too sudden and does not seem to affect other parts of its body.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
I also just noticed the little vertical movement at the end, which I feel is too sudden and does not seem to affect other parts of its body.
This problem was actually caused by a couple unecessary keyframes, which was messing up the curve. That's been fixed and it's a lot smoother now.

So how's this?
--> New

--> New

--> New

--> New

edit: oh and this is my 100th post. c:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)