CAP 4 CAP 4 - Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy Shit! Great Idea Chrono! I’m seriously surprised this didn’t come up earlier. This also kinda renews the feeling of awe I usually associate with creating new pokemon. Ninjas rule.

What better animal to be a ninja than the meerkat! It’s ground dwelling, it’s fast and speedy, it has a mischievous look that is perfect for team support, and what better defenses are there than hiding underground? A ninja is great for the poison typing as well: I mean look at the most well known poison trainer, Koga. He’s a ninja!

I could go on about how perfect this idea is by saying how justifiable moves like trick room, spikes, toxic spikes, rapid spin, and the screens are. Even gravity and tailwind are plausible because of how mystical and magical the ways of the ninja are. Here is a visualization of this great idea.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Holy Shit! Great Idea Chrono! I’m seriously surprised this didn’t come up earlier. This also kinda renews the feeling of awe I usually associate with creating new pokemon. Ninjas rule.

What better animal to be a ninja than the meerkat! It’s ground dwelling, it’s fast and speedy, it has a mischievous look that is perfect for team support, and what better defenses are there than hiding underground? A ninja is great for the poison typing as well: I mean look at the most well known poison trainer, Koga. He’s a ninja!

I could go on about how perfect this idea is by saying how justifiable moves like trick room, spikes, toxic spikes, rapid spin, and the screens are. Even gravity and tailwind are plausible because of how mystical and magical the ways of the ninja are. Here is a visualization of this great idea.

It needs to be riding a warthog. :|

Nice job!

It needs to be riding a warthog. :
Nice Timon and Pumba reference there but you spark a cool idea. A warthog based pokemon would be pretty cool. Poisonous tusk, somewhat diseased fur coloring, and you get that much needed Ground element from the pig itself.

Ubermuch~ IMO it would look better if it was tan with purple stripes, like a Tiger Meerkat.

Munch, XD awesome thinking. I would've invariably ended up leaning towards trying to use a rodent/marsupial base, as I think this guy here has half-beaten us towards the punch:

This is my entry. He's kind of a porcupine-rat-mole-draftsman. I personally love how it turned out.

The poison type is covered by not only the poisonous spurs on his legs (and noxious-colored coat), but also the poison-coated stylus he draws with.

The ground type is covered by what animals he is primarily comprised of, as they are natural burrowers. He has a very naturalistic apron-like fur pattern as well.

I wanted to make a pokemon that looked like he could draw walls, pull anything out of his pouch to help his team (he's a marsupial, that's no pocket), and spin at will. I wanted to make a pokemon who truly fit the utility concept.
Only, a ninja instead of a workerman. Really, what I like about Hazmat's idea that I think we might want to incorporate is that idea of the marsupial pouch - that really it could be pulling anything from inside it. (Female only perhaps? lol). The best way I can see us getting together a good pokemon is by hybridizing some animals; most pokemon are based off an animal (or item) one way or another, so to combine two wouldn't be too out there in order to get our one, especially with it being poison. (To this day I still wonder what animal the Nidos are based off of.)

Tomorrow I'll scan the ink I did of my yet-redesigned-again snake-worm, I like how it came out. If enough people like then even if I have to do it in paint with a touchpad I'll color the bastard. If not, then I'll try to expand on the ninja idea. Something I had in mind... like Sycther's scythes and Weaviles kamas, the ninja-mammal could have four huge hairy spikes coming from its backside that resembles the shape of a shuriken... hehehe... (most likely composite hair/keratin but w/e it would be good enough, damn that gives rapid spin and tail wind right there as well as the spikes if not more that I can't think of off the top of my head.)

Nice Timon and Pumba reference there but you spark a cool idea. A warthog based pokemon would be pretty cool. Poisonous tusk, somewhat diseased fur coloring, and you get that much needed Ground element from the pig itself.
I've thought about toying with some quadruped non-lizard ideas like pig or catoblepas for our poke. The only thing is... you know how to make a pig/cow look fast? Because I sure am clueless. lol

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
I've thought about toying with some quadruped non-lizard ideas like pig or catoblepas for our poke. The only thing is... you know how to make a pig/cow look fast? Because I sure am clueless. lol
A scary noise. Stampede!

*Poison buffalo*

Lorak's right, just look at Tauros or Miltank.
Lol, I forgot about those two. *checks* woah... Tauros had 110 speed? I didn't remember that much. Then again... I just remember Miltank essentially being a Mamoswine. "How fast is that thing again?", etc. I guess because I only thought of the Catoblepas idea I got limited, what with one of its descriptions being the down-turned head = sloooooow.

I guess I get to try for ninja quadruped and munch gets to try for ninja biped? LOL I'll see what I can do... I've not done that many successfuly quadrupeds... in fact, like none of them were good lol. But I'll certainly try... at least with this one the shape matters more than an intriguing and interesting design on a fairly rigid shape like where munch's aimed right now.

Also tomorrow i have a sketch to just for S&G, I don't expect it to get anywhere seriously; I found out how to make my "levitating" poison/ground thingy come to life XP even if it does look like slow shit, HA!

I like the Idea of having a marsupial pouch on the female sprite. It is a simple enough addition that I think the spriters could handle putting it on.

I also like the idea of the shuriken hairs on the back. I'll probably add those on if it seems like alot of people think it would make my meerkat poke more viable/believable.

I'm not sure how well this would work, but what about a platypus based design? Though it sounds more of a water type, it does have these things going for it:

1.A poison spur on it's fin things. Poison is enough to cause alot of pain to humans, but we can kick it up for the pokemon.

2. They make burrows in the ground

3. They make eggs. Perfect.

4. God's joke, 'nuff said <_<

We can make it into more of a groundish duck thing and it might work

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w82/benlovestobes/PokemonX.jpg
Okay, so here's my desing for the ground/posion utility type. Its pretty simplistic as I only did it this morning. Im also aware that this is my first post so I know im not going to be taken as seriously as some of the 'veterans' on here.
Anyway the idea for this pokemon came after I did abit of research on desert insects~http://www.desertusa.com/mag98/july/papr/du_cicada.html
I like the idea of a Cicada as there's alot to work from and there habitat is where a 'ground' pokemon would be. I know its an insect but you have to have a bit of a liberal approach to this. I took some inspiration of Flygon, who has insectoid qualities but isnt a bug type.
I also feel it could work well as a 'ulity tank' as it could have access to tailwind obv beacuse of its wings. It would also have access to 'spikes', 'toxic spikes' and 'stealthrock'.
I know its pretty basic but i really do think something along those lines could definitley work.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I penciled this even before the typing poll was finished. I finally got the time to ink and color it. I have a whole lot of backstory behind this thing. I'll post it later, if there's any interest in it. I really enjoyed drawing this one.

That worm...thing....is pretty kickass Doug and with the right backstory, you might swing my vote, but I think the ninja idea is really fitting for this project. Speed, Trick Room and the screens (Koga's f%&king gym, remember that?), even Tailwind (anybody see any ninja movies lately? Lots of wind, when they kick/run/fly,etc.). Not to mention, that meerkat is awesome, with or without the warthog/Warthog!

Doug, I'm really loving the spikes and especially that red and black design. I originally wanted to see a badass looking snake and I really like this one. It looks a bit offensive though, but that's just me.

I'd love to hear the backstory behind this also.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Doug, I'm really loving the spikes and especially that red and black design. I originally wanted to see a badass looking snake and I really like this one. It looks a bit offensive though, but that's just me.
On the contrary, the spinal plates evoked the defensive sense of Lairon to me. And ditto the backstory.

Also...

This is actual size.

The coconut crab (Birgus latro) is the largest land-living arthropod in the world. It is a highly apomorphic hermit crab and is known for its ability to crack coconuts with its strong pincers in order to eat the contents. It is the only species of the genus Birgus.

Re: eating the crabs:
While the coconut crab itself is not innately poisonous, it may become so depending on its diet, and cases of coconut crab poisoning have occurred.

So, yeah. Anyway we can make this even more awesome, and poisonous?

I was wondering when you were going to post your submission Doug. Great concept and attention to even small details such as shading, and it fits with the theme very well. Good work!

This poll is looks to be very close based on the amount of great submissions in this thread.

With the meerkat ninja thing, maybe it would be fitting to create a 'team' of two pokemon as this pokemon, if you get me? A kind of symbiotic relationship; the meerkat provides the speed and skills, while its, say, warthog friend provides the bulk...

(this would be one pokemon, kind of like Slowbro has a Shellder on its tail, or Mantine has a Remoraid, etc.)

I really like the ninja meerkat and Doug's snake along with the others. I agree that posting the backstory would be a good idea. Also, that's the Warthog I was thinking of.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wait, wait, wait, I think people are misinterpreting what I meant...

... :V
This is AMAZING. It would be a bitch to sprite unfortunatly =/

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w82/benlovestobes/PokemonX.jpg
Okay, so here's my desing for the ground/posion utility type. Its pretty simplistic as I only did it this morning. Im also aware that this is my first post so I know im not going to be taken as seriously as some of the 'veterans' on here.
Anyway the idea for this pokemon came after I did abit of research on desert insects~http://www.desertusa.com/mag98/july/papr/du_cicada.html
I like the idea of a Cicada as there's alot to work from and there habitat is where a 'ground' pokemon would be. I know its an insect but you have to have a bit of a liberal approach to this. I took some inspiration of Flygon, who has insectoid qualities but isnt a bug type.
I also feel it could work well as a 'ulity tank' as it could have access to tailwind obv beacuse of its wings. It would also have access to 'spikes', 'toxic spikes' and 'stealthrock'.
I know its pretty basic but i really do think something along those lines could definitley work.
It looks good, if a bit too much like shiny Flygon.

I penciled this even before the typing poll was finished. I finally got the time to ink and color it. I have a whole lot of backstory behind this thing. I'll post it later, if there's any interest in it. I really enjoyed drawing this one.

Woah. It doesn't strike me as dragon as much as poisonous sidewinder, amazing work though. I'd like to hear the backstory though.

has KOA posted anything yet?
KoA is away for a few months, and has been since the end of Pyroak. I personally don't know when he's coming back, but I think its soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)