CAP 4 CAP 4 - Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I really like Doug's symbiote snake idea. It looks good, and I like the idea of it swimming through sand and helping people in the desert. The only thing I suggest is that there is a small red gem at the end of the tail. Then, I can easily picture this Pokémon using many of the utility moves. Heal Bell from the rattle (using the gem's power), Memento from the gems on the head glowing, Safeguard and Magic Coat with the gems' power combined. Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Rapid Spin, Wish, and Encore were already written about, and Gravity can be used by the gems again. It seems the power would come mostly from the gems, which is an interesting feature for a Pokémon. This design has my vote.
I really like the suggestion to put a gem at the end of the rattle. I think it would "balance" the overall look. It would put a touch of red on that end of the design, and it would make sense for this to have gems on both ends.

Since it is a symbiote, I can see the bone rattle as part of the carapace, being grafted around the gem. The gem would be the normal end of the tail of the base "body" pokemon.

Thanks a lot. It's a small detail, but it makes a lot of sense. I'll work that into the design.

Just to bring about the best art concepts so far....

- Doug's Bone Snake
- Maniacal's Gila Monster
- The Poison Horned Lizard
- The Ground/ Poison Snake Genie

A lot of good ideas here, there are the best so far... I think we could use a vote sometime soon, get the stats done with and get this baby on Shoddy by this week!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just to bring about the best art concepts so far....

- Doug's Bone Snake
- Maniacal's Gila Monster
- The Poison Horned Lizard
- The Ground/ Poison Snake Genie

A lot of good ideas here, there are the best so far... I think we could use a vote sometime soon, get the stats done with and get this baby on Shoddy by this week!
Nice optimism. It shows that you have absolutely no clue how this process works. I'll clue you in: its going to take much more than a week. Also, nobody really cares what you think are the best concepts, because almost everyone already has a favorite. So please, don't attempt to boost your post count with a pathetic attempt to sway the community, combined with your complete lack of knowledge of the process. This isn't as much a personal attack as a general note to all people who think they're going to waltz in here and think that we pop out pokemon faster than Angelina Jolie adopts more babies.

After reading Doug's backstory on his gentle symbiotic serpent I'm totally and absolutely sold on his design, and I will support it to death.

Awesome really.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Nice catch. I was slightly kidding in my post though, but im not trying to make that an excuse. Also, my post was in response to someone trying to tell everyone what to vote for.

Alright... I've taken far too long on this, hopefully if I get enough positive feedback I can get it colored before the submissions end :D Touchpad + Paint = horrible combination... but at least it's something...

Since my last one I've made some noticeable changes. Spikes are longer to look more what I had in mind originally, and the overall body length has been cut in half or about, because I figure it'd take more speed for a 'mon to spin rapidly with a longer body. There would actually be little sparkling gems all over its sand-covered back, because it does spend a lot of time underground - the three balls on its back from where the spikes originate are actually compressed sand, with one or more gems stuck in there, from which it is able to use the more mystical-like moves. And that's the edge of the sand on its head there, BTW.

I don't recall exactly where in the thread it was said, but I remember someone saying they wanted a more mischevious-looking pokemon vs the straight-out intimidating forms of the last few CAPs. I say, can't it be both? :D

Like I said it won't be easy to color this by myself; I'm currently looking to see if I can't get a friend to help (who will of course be given credit.) If my friends aren't able to, then I won't color it myself, unless of course enough people in here want me to color it. Also, with the color will be its own more elaborated backstory... not as in-depth as doug's simply because the design just came to me and there's not been much "influence" other than that Mongolian Death Worm. Actually, it would be more like clarifying the difference between Doug's desert-dwelling snake worm and my desert-dwelling snake worm :D

Hmmm Poisonous Ground? Not much I can think of here. A spider is more Bug. Such a wierd combo. A worm is a good idea. I'll be back with a suckish worm pic. Or maybe a snake. Yes a snake. I'll make (find/plagarize) one of those too.

WORM:
The band can be a poison sac or something.

SNAKE:
pic explains self. Maybe have a sprite of it coming out of the ground fangs exposed. Like diglet out of the ground, part hidden.

Awesome backstory Doug, you've secured my vote based on what I've seen and read so far. I'm curious about Reflect and Light Screen though, would those also come from the gems? I'm a little uneasy that so many of the snake's important moves are powered by those gems. It's just a bit of a strech for me, especially considering the typing. IMO you really need Dragon or Psychic as a type to pull of using gems for those moves, as they're the most mystical types there are probably.

Nice optimism. It shows that you have absolutely no clue how this process works. I'll clue you in: its going to take much more than a week. Also, nobody really cares what you think are the best concepts, because almost everyone already has a favorite. So please, don't attempt to boost your post count with a pathetic attempt to sway the community, combined with your complete lack of knowledge of the process. This isn't as much a personal attack as a general note to all people who think they're going to waltz in here and think that we pop out pokemon faster than Angelina Jolie adopts more babies.

**Applause**

Touching, you almost had me at "attempt to sway the community" and "boost my post count"... but almost not as pathethic as when you tried to combine "community" with "nobody cares what you think"... what kind of community is that anyhow? Thank you.

Ill take note of that next time. Way to go assuming I want people to vote. I guess I must of had those choices in brightlights and stuff... completely telling other to dump their opinion and take mine...

NOTHING GETS BY YOU... YOU CAUGHT ME...

idiot

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Cut the flaming guys, right now. This isn't the place for it. If you feel need to comment about another user's posts in this thread, it should be done via PM. Next time there will be infractions.

To expand. "There are the best so far:" posts are entirely useless, and on top of that come across as offencive. "I like these ones:" are just so much nicer (But still pretty useless/PC++), whereas the first seems like you're trying to impose your views on the community, rather than just expressing them. If you must make a post to express your views on the artwork then please back your opinions up with statements such as "I really love artwork xxx because yyy" Preferably a whole paragraph of y's.

sexyalejandro, please develop a better understanding of how the process works here.
Yes, that was telling you to "Lurk Moar"

Thanks for the feedback. i love the animation Cartoons, ecspecialy how he summons that sluge bomb from some secret compartment linked to his hands. anyway, for those who asked to see the top form of my guy, i stole a line from Cartoons book and made a small, messy, anim of my own showing my dude going into top mode:

Cut the flaming guys, right now. This isn't the place for it. If you feel need to comment about another user's posts in this thread, it should be done via PM. Next time there will be infractions.

To expand. "There are the best so far:" posts are entirely useless, and on top of that come across as offencive. "I like these ones:" are just so much nicer (But still pretty useless/PC++), whereas the first seems like you're trying to impose your views on the community, rather than just expressing them. If you must make a post to express your views on the artwork then please back your opinions up with statements such as "I really love artwork xxx because yyy" Preferably a whole paragraph of y's.

sexyalejandro, please develop a better understanding of how the process works here.
Yes, that was telling you to "Lurk Moar"
I understand. I appreciate that Sunday. I did find Tennis' comment offensive because mine was taken out of line, and I apologize if I made it unclear and confused some. I apologize to you Tennis.

Thanks for pointing that out Sunday

Thanks for the feedback. i love the animation Cartoons, ecspecialy how he summons that sluge bomb from some secret compartment linked to his hands. anyway, for those who asked to see the top form of my guy, i stole a line from Cartoons book and made a small, messy, anim of my own showing my dude going into top mode:
That is really awesome Zantimonious. It's a little unclear but it gets the picture across. I think what captured my imagination with your design was the top form. I could just see it speeding along and then dissapearing into the ground as a top. If you decide to clean up the animation a bit the only advice I could offer would be to make the top form a little more clear. It's somewhat difficult for me to make out, but not that much.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Awesome backstory Doug, you've secured my vote based on what I've seen and read so far. I'm curious about Reflect and Light Screen though, would those also come from the gems? I'm a little uneasy that so many of the snake's important moves are powered by those gems. It's just a bit of a strech for me, especially considering the typing. IMO you really need Dragon or Psychic as a type to pull of using gems for those moves, as they're the most mystical types there are probably.
I'm not going to get too caught up in the "source" of moves visually. Most pokemon that use beams, special (as opposed to physical) moves, or magical effects -- the power just comes out their body somehow. If you saw the animations in Pokemon XD, you know what I mean about the VAST majority of special moves and effects.

So, I think the bigger design issue is to create a pokemon that "looks special" or "looks magical". I really tried to do that with the serpent. I think it looks very magical, but of course I am biased. If I'm right, then I think many magical effects just kinda come out of it's body, not necessarily out of those little gems. Certain beams and rays would come out of the gems though.

Doug, it's a purple snake with bones on the outside of its body.

I mean really.

I think you ought to elaborate on your design, and I don't mean "add crystals," haha. And you know, apart from its head, it's a pretty solid design. Its face irks me to no end, though. It looks like some kind of tapeworm.

But purple snakes... man, if you like your tapeworm face, at least drop the purple.

I just have problems imagining the leech/symbiote pokemon spinning or laying spikes at all.

It's body is similar to an arbok with lairon's armor on it.
Neither can spin, neither can lay spikes.

If snakes could rapid spin by rolling up and spinning, arbok and seviper could definitely do it. However, this action will never generate enough force to move spikes away, starmie and donphan can spin really fast and generate a fast wind which "blows the spikes away."

And spikes are just out of the question. Just because something has a sharp appearence doesn't mean spikes come out of it. I don't see how the leech creature or the symbiote could create these spikes.

Cartoon's creature appears to be able to do both of these, with visable spikes on it's body, as well as a stinger/spike on it's main body. It also appears to be able to spin like a hitmontop.

My only concern is the general lankiness of cartoon's design.
It appears like it would be hard to fit into a game like battle revolution.
I still prefer it over the slug/leech/snake thing.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well after reading this thread, I have 4 drawings I really like.

I absolutely love Maniac's Dragon, and I wish it was able to be in the vote. To bad dragon wasn't the secondary typing, because I could see me battling with that sprite on shoddy.

I also love Elagunes, and it's probably my favorite. It just has a mystical presence and it's just great drawing in general. This one has my vote hands down.

The Smog imp, comes in a close second, I like the idea behind the drawing and with a little more revision, I could see it coming out wonderfully.

The Daddy Long Legs/DJD's drawings come tied for 3rd. The concept for both is great. One is drawn to show it's usefulness and the other is just creative.

It's late so sorry if these don't make that much sense. *-*

I love the Smog Imp, and Daddy Big Hands blew me away. I think Cartoons! has got my vote, but I'd be happy if either of them won. I'm not going to say any of them now, because that would be really poll-jumpy of me, but I've come up with some really great names for both of them, and can't wait to submit them in the name submission thread!

Just because something has a sharp appearence doesn't mean spikes come out of it.
Skarmory? What about Froslass? Deoxys?

Personally, Doug's idea has my full support. I said the right story could swing it, and it did. Some tough competition, though, courtesy of that crazy hands thing...

I really love Daddy Long Hands, especially when it's underground. It makes it look like some sort of Stonehenge-y monument. The only thing that bugs me a little are the orange hands. How about making it sand-coloured? And I really like its simplicity. I mean, Pokemon now is slowly becoming into Digimon with bulky and monstrous pokes (eg . Rhyperior, Bastiodon) and less with the cute elements (eg, Snorlax, Ursaring). I think that's what makes Pokemon a little more flattering with the audience than Digimon.

But I do love the idea of a symbiotic relationship Pokemon (reminds me of Slowbro, except its not really symbiotic, right?). And the great detail and background description makes it all the more endearing, despite its intimidating looks.

So well, here's my entry, if I can still submit. It may not be as great as the others but, meh, it won't hurt to try, yes? ^^;

(clicky!)

I based this on the wanyuudo, a burning wheel ghost of Japanese mythology. Except that instead of emitting flames, I have it emit smoke and fog (kinda like Koffing). And its face resembles Baltoy a little bit, because I also based its appearance from a Japanese clay doll. I didn't want it to look like a tormented face like the wanyuudo, and changed it into a more sorrowful and drowsy face. (Hope it worked out. ^^; )

It is born from poisoned and polluted soil fusing with old and wrecked oxcart wheels of an old era that was buried under the earth. It constantly appears to be wearing a sorrowful face because it remembers its 'past life' of being abandoned after being worn down, as well as contaminated soil, which it has a mysterious connection with. It is constantly in motion, travelling the world, sending a message to travelers on how polluted the earth (not Earth, but earth as in soil and dirt) has become due to the increasing number of buildings and factories being built.

Its three red gems that grows on its forehead and tiny hands are a real mystery, as professors and archaeologists have theorized that it consumes metals and gems, like Sableye, but it has never been documented to eat anything, despite having a mouth. However, what is known is that the gems are able to emit some sort of light and have a hypnotising effect whenever it waves its arms. It has never really been documented that it uses its gems to lure people, but rather to repel them, thus making this Pokemon to be rather timid.

The smoke and fog it emits can be deadly, but it has been fermented to become some sort of a sleeping gas or pepper spray. This Pokemon has also used its smoke to make people faint, thus buying time for it to flee. The smoke is also highly pressurized, that when it is emitted, it helps propel this Pokemon further and faster, similar to a steam engine. Despite being made of substances similar to soil, it is exceptionally sturdy. When it spins fast enough (together with the smoke boost), it can easily drill through a mountain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)