CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew, finally finished colouring in my sphinx. Made the eyes slightly more defined, emphasized the ruby on it's forehead more, no loincloth, and added earrings and matching 'kneecaps'. w00t to AncientPowah.

Thanks for all the comments, feel free to tell me if there's anymore irks. (:
Now imma gonna work on my other drawings...

Syprus I think it would help if your yellow rings were perfectly straight. Idk if you would be able to do that but I think it would represent your picture better, also not copy starmie's jewel exactly it still looks that way to me.

I can't see Regi DS's one for some reason. But from the replies, I can tell it's similar to mine. That's rather ironic, since my design was actually inspired by Regi DS's work :S

Anyway, I'll be able to get it up in around 5 hours. Not that long to wait :D

I can see Regi DS's design now. As I thought, it looks like mine :(

Anyway, I've scanned it now. I drew a few different poses for it.

The basic design.

Using Power Gem.

Back view of its head.

Slightly different, 'Eeveelution-esque' proportions.

We already have 2 bipedal Pokémon (including Revenankh, since it would be bipedal if it had legs), so I decided to go for four legs. It's based on a fennec fox, which live in the desert. Therefore, Sandstorm could easily be a viable move. The crystals on its head and limbs are made of glass, which is basically fused desert sand. Glass shards are in its large tail, too. Gems on its head and neck let it use Power Gem and beam attacks by focusing its energy. And before someone complains that it doesn't look rocky, there's quite a few rock types like that (Lileep and Sudowoodo?). Also, since when does Mawile need to look like it's made of steel?

I'm going to colour it later. I'm not good with colouring on the computer, so I'll probably use coloured pencils and scan it again.

Hmmm, I think I like the Stone Maiden and Wyverii's the best so far.
Caladbolg's designs are real nice, but I think they need to have a bit of work done on the "Pokemon-esque" feel.

Wyverii- That, mask-like thing, I don't like it. Separate from the beak and the crystal "hair" I think that part should be a bit more egyptian-looking.

Blu- Make sure you don't stray off the original design and somehow make yours another Misdreavus, which it kinda seems like it'll head there. There's something I feel you need to add to make it look more like a Pokemon, but I don't know what.

@ yourDeadGrandad: You're quite welcome for the hit colour suggestion!

Anyway, the last CaPs have all been organic and have all had animal traits. Head, torso, arms, legs, anime eyes, etc. That's why yDG's and Lofty's are so appealing to me, a new direction for this project. Props to Regi DS too, however, as that is a real nice design.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's my submission. A crystal or glass creature. I'm not too sure on the coloring yet, all I had though of about is was the "head" would be different from the body.

I have another Sphinx idea too, though I'm not sure if I'm going to submit that one yet.
Just wanted to bump this because it is quite a unique design, and like Lofty's Comet, very inorganic at its base.

For anyone who wondered what it looks like black/shiny stone as opposed to grey

Hi there. I improved my Gargoyle design... to a Mineral Gargoyle design.

It isn't complete yet [eyes, tail, hand...etc] but, it's the idea... what do you think about the colors?

Doesn't look special enough, but regardless, I liked it enough to submit it =/
Whew, finally finished colouring in my sphinx. Made the eyes slightly more defined, emphasized the ruby on it's forehead more, no loincloth, and added earrings and matching 'kneecaps'. w00t to AncientPowah.

Thanks for all the comments, feel free to tell me if there's anymore irks. (:
Now imma gonna work on my other drawings...
Hi there.. this is the latest version for Easter Island based Pokemon. It's coloured... what Do you think about the colors/form/pose/etc?

Definitely these are the best so far. I think that there is a winner out of one of these (My favs are Top one and second from bottom).

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
While I was offline due to Hurricane Ike, I did a few sketches of some designs for CAP 5. Some of these design draw from similar themes to other designs posted, but I think mine have their own flavor, and may merit further consideration.

I have intentionally tried to keep all my designs simplistic and "cartoony". On past CAP projects, I have been accused of making designs that "don't look like pokemon". So on this project, I'm really trying to keep the designs very straightforward, without too much intricate detail.

The first design is a "Planet Pokemon":

The goggles give it an astronaut feel, which makes it seem fast and special (vs physical). The "planet" concept can incorporate several moves. Not the least of which is Weather Ball. Since this is a planet, I think weather powers make a lot of sense. The little moons would be colored as gem-like orbs. These could be used for all sorts of special moves, not the least of which is Power Gem. Also, although I know it won't be used this way -- if a planet doesn't get Rapid Spin, it's a crime... same for Gravity...

My next design is a "Meteor Pokemon":

I was trying to make a design that looked like kinda like a rock spaceship. The clear canopy is there to give it that spaceship feel. The shape of the design is meant to look somewhat aerodynamic (therefore fast) but still look like a rock. I imagine this as a space-traveling pokemon whose natural habitat is meteor showers and asteroid fields. This pokemon could have an interesting backstory with Palkia and Dialga. Even though this isn't a physical pokemon, it would have to get Meteor Mash.

My last design is a "Pyramid Pokemon":

This came about after playing with various geometric shapes. Obviously derives heavily from the pyramid design on the back of the US dollar bill. I think this conveys rocks very easily, and the eye makes it look special-based. It doesn't look particularly fast, which hurts it quite a bit. I considered putting carvings into the side, maybe the braille patterns used in various caves ingame. Possibly the carvings could change like Spinda's spots or Unown's shape. I think pyramids are cool and for a pure Rock pokemon, I think a pyramid could work.

Depending on feedback on these I may make tweaks to one or more and possibly do a full ink and color, if it looks like it has a chance to make it to the final poll. Comments are welcome!

EDIT: These designs are in order of my personal favorites. Meaning, the Planet design is my favorite, and the Pyramid is my least favorite.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm liking all the space themed designs, as well as the Egyptians. Doug, I think that the Planet is the best of your designs, with the meteor in second. The pyramid doesn't look like a fast special attacker, more of a special tank.

Alright, I started on my next design. Someone was talking about using a mask of some sort (forgot who that was, sorry) so I decided to try it out. It doesn't seem so bad thankfully, I'll be colouring it in later on.

What do you guys think? I could change it up a bit if needed.

@Syprus:

The 'jewel eyes' are giving me a serious Sableye vibe. It's alright, but perhaps changing the eyes to match the various orbs on him would work better?

Ok, thanks for the opinions....

This is the other concept, the Gargoyle pokemon. In fact, I invented this before, for a personal proyect.

In the back, it has a littles rock wings...and it cannot fly. It has a Ball & Chain type tail.
wow man this is awesome i like it alot! Good job.

@Syprus:

The 'jewel eyes' are giving me a serious Sableye vibe. It's alright, but perhaps changing the eyes to match the various orbs on him would work better?
I personally liked the jewel eyes. So what if it gives someone a Sableye vibe? Does it REALLY matter if it slightly looks like some other pokemon? I'm not trying to insult you, just letting you know what I think. If it's that bad, should I just change the eyes to "orbs"?

Looks like this will be very very close this time. We have some great art already and we still have some artists to finish their work like cartoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)