CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

This may look like a heavy hitter, but it isn't. As you can see, the canon-things at the back let this fakemon move kind of like rockets. This guy uses internal energy to release a variety of attacks (such as ice beam). So I guess this guy can almost qualify to be fast and special.

This is my first and FINAL SUBMISSION!

Yay! I hope this works! Please comment.

FINAL PIECE

Moved the cymbal a bit and not much else :]

The Rock typing has a double meaning --
first, it's a rock pokemon
second, it's a musical instrument that is used for rock

I tried to make him a bit tribal, so rain/sun dancing isn't too uncommon for him.

hey. here's an idea i had:

sort of a crossbreed of a stegosaurus, and ostrich and a catapult. with that said, there are some really creative ideas up here. My favourites so far are antarctros' clock, and hazmat's drum.

edit: final piece.

I do like that drum. Hadn't noticed it before, but that picture is looking very nice. My other favourite is the meteor from way back. It looks very fast, and like a special attacker.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Friendly reminder to repost art with "Final Piece" at the bottom, or something to that effect.

Reminds me of Nosepass for some reason *wink* ^_^
I freaking love Nosepass. It's his cheerful, special sweeper, musical drum-based cousin :]

My biggest inspiration were moai heads, so I knew people were going to compare those two eventually.

It's hard to choose a color for him -- brown makes him look more wooden than stone. Grey makes him look boring. Reddish looks cool though, I might try that out later and see how he looks with it.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
I freaking love Nosepass. It's his cheerful, special sweeper, musical drum-based cousin :]

My biggest inspiration were moai heads, so I knew people were going to compare those two eventually.

It's hard to choose a color for him -- brown makes him look more wooden than stone. Grey makes him look boring. Reddish looks cool though, I might try that out later and see how he looks with it.
It looks too physical, not special sweeper. And for some reason, I don't like that nose xD. It looks like a Cho Aniki character xD or a random-thing from Wario ware.

It looks too physical, not special sweeper. And for some reason, I don't like that nose xD. It looks like a Cho Aniki character xD or a random-thing from Wario ware.
I'll agree with your #1 -- you have actually given me a great idea on how to fix that too. Thanks.

As for the art style, I'm not changing his face. There are plenty of pokemon who squint, and there are plenty who have big/weird noses, sorry that you don't like it :/

If it's alright tennis, my current pic isn't the final -- sorry!

Hazmat-if you add some sort of crystal: like crystal cymbals or something, that would be cool. I agrre with caladbolg, it's looks too physical. cool and original, though!!!

sort of a crossbreed of a stegosaurus, and ostrich and a catapult. with that said, there are some really creative ideas up here. My favourites so far are antarctros' clock, and hazmat's drum.

C'mon! How are people missing this? It is awesome. Well done once again Zantimonius. The only complaint last time was that it was to intricate and fierce (not me, I loved it). This time it is much more "cartoony" and therefore more pokemon-like.

I also like Hazmat's drum. He's goofy, he's cheerful, he's musical.... What's not to like?

Alright, time to see what you guys think of the final Rockstrich. I'm not really used to doing much shading, (why body may not look so rocky,) so this was quite the experience for me. Due to time constraints, I've only shaded in the regularly-colored one; the second posing one is an intended shiny color scheme.

Yes, that second one is supposed to be using Thunderbolt. It drew it that way to show the energy gathering in and around its tail crystals, but because of limitation of how I ended up coloring it I couldn't accurately depict it.

And now, as I promised, the backstory.

Rockstrich is prized as a very valuable pokemon by people all over the world in ancient times. Inside its igneous rock body is a hollow cavity in which grows many more gems like the ones protruding out of it. Unfortunately, because of people's greed for the rare gems, Rockstrich was hunted to extinction. However today, long-forgotten fragments of its crystals have been found embeded deep in ancient lava flows. Using the technology of ressurecting fossils, scientists are attempting to bring the species back into existance.

The mouth of an active volcano or lava flows serves as its nesting grounds, its territory including the surrounding terrain for miles. As it leaves its nest it is usually covered in molten lava that streams behind it as it sprints across the terrain. Because it only vists the nest and enters the lava to lay its eggs, this event is rare, and so ancient people have often mistaken it for a Pheonix.
Since it can take up to several thousand feet before it reaches the mouth of a volcano, Rockstrich has evolved streamlined legs of crystal for jumping up moutainsides. Because its crystals always grow with an irregular matrix pattern, they are not as strong as those found in the earth. If Rockstrich tries to run for too long or jump to high or hard, its legs will break; they do grow back, but it takes long periods of time to do so. Compared to other ROCK Pokemon, Rockstrich has a lightweight body, idealy suited for its fragile legs.

Now for explaining some about how I arrived at where I did for the story and design.

It started with finding out what color to use for the crystals; I knew I wanted it to be based off a geode, so I looked for a good combination of crystal-growing to appropriate rock. I ended up settling on Igneous Rock, specifically Basalt-like, in which the quartz that grows is most often Amethyst. (The shiny I arrived at after reading that when Amethyst is super-heated its color changes and is thereafter reffered to as Citrine.) Being of igneous rock also made sense when I read a little more on Quartz. The Irish word for quartz is grian cloch, which means 'stone of the sun'; fitting for a pokemon mistaken as a Phoenix, no? Also, of the four astrological signs with which Amethyist is associated, two are fire signs.

I kept with the Ostrich look throught most of it if possible. And actually, as it is now, it resembles the Moa more closely than an ostrich; for the extinct cousin of the Ostrich is not only a flightless bird, but also completely lacked wings altogether. Another piece that fit well, is the story of the Fenghuang, the Chinese Phoenix. It is described as being a chimeric creature, of which the beak of a rooster, the neck of a snake, the legs of a stag, and the tail of a peacock also the Rockstrich has. On top of that, it is speculated that the Fenghuang's originates from ice-age drawings of the Asian Ostrich.

Also, Rockstrich would be too frail to ride, so please don't call a Rock Chocobo. Because it isn't.

...phew! This is my Final Submission, and I'm glad to be done with working on it. I truly hope you guys like it, and decide to vote for me in the polls; I've spent more work on this one concept/design than any other previous drawings of mine. \(^_^)/

Very cool. Fragile, Fast, and Special-y.

Final Piece

I added a few glowing tribal-ish tattoos to give him more of a special orientation, and a darker obsidian skin tone.

If you didn't see it -- he's a drum. The top and bottom fabric make a nice hat and loincloth combo to add to the tiki/moai theme. The cymbals are his bling, yo.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
For lack of time and consciousness, meet my hastily-sprawled sketch:

The more I look at it, the less sense the perspective makes. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)