CAP 5 Pre-Evo - Part 2 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Ready to finally give this mess of numbers and statistics a face? Well, get your MS Paintbrushes ready, because here come the art submissions! At the moment, the only information we have to work with are Malaconda's design and the Grass/Dark typing we decided to give Malaconda's pre-evolution in this poll.

Remember that we are designing the pre-evolution to Malaconda. Therefore, make your art designs something that could reasonably evolve into Malaconda. There are plenty of odd evolution designs in Pokemon and you all have plenty of creative license to do as you please, but remember that this Pokemon is supposed to be a first-stage evolution that will evolve into the glorious Malaconda. In fact, here's Malaconda's official art design.

There are some rules concerning legal art submissions. A final submission will contain a main design and supporting material if you choose to add supporting material to your artwork. What constitutes a main design and supporting material will be discussed later in this post. The most important rule concerning art submissions is that all work must be your own. Plagiarism is heavily frowned upon and will only result in pain, misery, and infractions. Or even bans in particularly egregious cases. Using someone else's idea as inspiration is fine, but copying someone else's idea and passing it off as your own is unacceptable. Use discretion when using someone else's idea; if you think you are plagiarizing, you probably are.

Main Designs

A main design is the piece of art that the voters will be voting on. It is modeled after the Official Art of existing Pokemon. For example, the Malaconda artwork in this post is Malaconda's Main Design. The winning Main Design will be the official, definitive art for Malaconda's pre-evolution. Therefore, when creating and submitting your Main Design, remember that your design should be worthy of display as the official art for Malaconda's pre-evolution. Official pictures of Malaconda's pre-evolution will use the winning Main Design. Although the idea of a Main Design is the "Official Pokemon Art" of Malaconda's pre-evolution, that does not mean you have to follow any specific artistic style when designing your Pokemon. There are no pre-determined standards of artistic design or rendering technique.

Here are the rules governing legal Main Design submissions:

• Your design must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background with no part of the Pokemon cut off by the canvas.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (ie. Conkeldurr's pillars, Gurdurr's girder), then it is acceptable.
  • Any 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing may be used. It must be in full color. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • Your design must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background. No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • The maximum allowed size is 640x640 and the minimum allowed size of 320x320.
  • Your design must be in a compressed digital format such as .png or .jpg.

These rules are not malleable and will be strictly enforced. Do not use precedence as an argument for breaking these rules. Claiming that your submission is legal because it emulates an existing Pokemon or a previous CAP's art is not a valid reason for breaking the rules. There are existing in-game Pokemon that do not comport with these rules and there are existing CAP Main Designs that do not comport with these rules. However, these are still the current rules for submitting Main Designs and for your design to be legal, it must follow all of these rules. If you are not sure whether your design is legal, feel free to contact me or a CAP moderator. These rules are not meant to discourage users from submitting art and these rules are not supposed to trick anyone. If you want to make sure your submission is legal, please ask!

Supporting Material

Supporting Material is material that adds to your Main Design. Although the winning Supporting Material is not featured in the same capacity as the Main Design, Supporting Material is still useful for convincing others why your design deserves to win the Art Polls. There are almost no rules governing Supporting Material, and almost any Supporting Material you can think of is allowed. Typical examples of Supporting Material include motion sketches, interactions between your art design and other Pokemon (including CAPs), animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips. Pictures of your design from other angles are also acceptable. Non-art supporting material is also perfectly fine. If you would like to argue or describe in words how your art design works, that is also legal. Just remember to keep your Supporting Material tasteful and to relate your Supporting Material to the Main Design. This rule is intended to prevent artists from posting unrelated art in an effort to gain more attention or promote other designs or artworks. Supporting Material is not necessary nor required for the Art Poll. All you need to create to appear in the Art Poll is a legal Main Design, but if you would like to further explain your Main Design then feel free to include Supporting Material. There are very few rules governing Supporting Material, so get creative with your Material if you include some!

Final Submission Post

All artists who wish to appear in the Art Poll must have a Final Submission post. To do so, just title your post "Final Submission". Although you are all free to work on your designs in the thread and ask for feedback from other artists and observers in the thread, only Final Submissions will be slated. Once you are finished with your design, you can edit your post and title it Final Submission. If you are not sure how to do this, feel free to ask. Your post should have a clearly identifiable Main Design at the top. Supporting Material should be included as links or linked thumbnails no larger than 150x150. Do not include full images of Supporting Material in your Final Submission. Most importantly, only make one (1) Final Submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs in this thread and post feedback on whatever designs they please. However, when you are ready to make a Final Submission you are only allowed to submit one design for consideration in the Art Poll. Only one design per person will appear in the Art Poll. If you would like to change your Final Submission, then edit your post. Do not delete your post and repost it, as that is considered bumping and is subject to moderation.

General Posting Rules

• Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not spam the thread with excessive amounts of artwork over a short period of time. Apparently, some artists think they will improve their chances in the poll if they overload the submission thread with their artwork. Doing so will result in your posts being moderated.
  • Do not post inconsequential "updates" to previously posted art. Only if you have made a significant change and have not posted art recently can you post an update in the thread.
  • No post can contain more than 800x800 pixels of included art, and no single picture can be larger than 640x640. Past those limits, artists should post links to the additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150x150. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post, even if it passes the limit. All art must be in a compressed digital format such as .jpg or .png.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. Such posts are a weak attempt to "reserve" an idea, and serve no constructive purpose. "Reserving" an idea carries no weight and is completely inconsequential to your final product.
  • Do not post images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to do your idea. This isn't an idea thread. It's fine for artists to post their own inspiration as supporting material. All work should be your own. If you would like to bounce around some ideas, do so on #cap on IRC.
  • No bumping or begging, especially for feedback. If your design is any good, people will comment on it. If your design gets no feedback, then your design is not very good. Consider the silence to be your feedback. If your design is not receiving feedback, then it is probably not impressing anyone enough to win the Art Poll. Discussing your design on #cap on IRC, however, is fine. Just follow the IRC rules when doing so.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or say that anything "is clearly going to win". It's fine to post praise or support for an artwork, but don't make a statement indicating the results of a poll that has not been conducted. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not post that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". Such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted. There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon, so don't act like you know what a Pokemon should look like. If you like or dislike a design, that's fine, just say that. Saying you dislike a design is fine as long as your criticism is constructive. Don't say someone's design looks more like Agumon than Malaconda.
  • Do not ask when this thread will close. CAP threads do not follow a set timetable. If you want to know the overall sequence of events in a CAP then go to the CAP website and read the process guide. In fact, here's a link to that.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. This isn't a tutorial thread.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the main design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post. If the final submission contains no significant supporting material, then no link will be included in the poll below the main design. As a result of This Policy Review decision, all legal Final Submissions will be slated on the Art Poll. You do not have to convince me that your art is worthy to be slated. I am just another voter in terms of the Art Poll, my only other responsibility is, well, running this thread and opening/closing the poll. To reiterate, all legal submissions will make the Art Poll. Don't worry about "not being good enough to be slated", if your post follows all the rules then your design will go before the voters!

Miscellaneous

This thread will be open for much longer than other CAP pre-evolution threads. Abilities and Stats will run concurrently with this thread, so don't worry about a "time crunch" with Art Submissions. I will update this thread with more information (Abilities, Stats, etc.) as we decide on it. For now, all we know about Malaconda's pre-evolution is that it is a Dark/Grass-type Pokemon.

Type: Dark/Grass
Abilities: Harvest/Infiltrator
Stats: 80 HP/70 Atk/40 Def/20 SpA/90 SpD/30 Spe

Most importantly, have some fun with this! This is everyone's chance to unleash their creativity, so don't be intimidated by all the rules or anything silly like that. Ask questions if you're not sure about something, and be generous with giving feedback. It's not a requirement to be an artist to participate in this thread; giving feedback is just as important as submitting art! There will be a 24-hour warning before this thread closes, so just because this thread does not have a definite closing time doesn't mean it will close without warning.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Preferably a snake with legs.
Stuck between one and none, but there really needs to be a legged pre-evo. Makes too much sense.
I really like the idea of the prevo being the serpent before his legs were banished.
Oh, you guys... XD Now my pre-evolution that I've planned for a while'll look unoriginal with those comments. Still:

This pouty fellow is what Malaconda was before it fell completely into vices. This juvenile has six leafy wings around its center vine, four little legs, and some of Malaconda's hints of designs in forms of its bands and apple-seed tail. (Apples are starfruits, so hence the five seeds at the tail). It gnaws at its tail for some infantile, instinctive, or allusory reason. :)

I'll be cheering for Mos's entry whenever it comes up! I'd like to see other impressive entries as well! :)

So this is my first time ever participating with one of these. Seems like fun. So I whipped something up in SAI. Hopefully I did this right? I don't know, I checked the rules and stuff, but tell me if I did anything wrong please. xD

Anyways, my idea was that Malaconda seemed very dark and sinister, and as a lot of people said, they thought a little innocent sorta pre evo would fit nicely. I agreed. I made some aspects of it "dark type" while keeping that sort of cute vibe. I thought that Malaconda seemed like a very matured vine, so I took down the shade of brown and made it greener, to make it seem more...young? Kept the apple idea in there, and put it around its neck. Thought it was cute. Has some seedlings on its body that will soon grow into thick thorns.

The tail is an apple flower, which matures into a fruit. For the face I generally tried to make it look very imp-like. I interpreted Malaconda's skin as bark, so in this case, it's the bark of an apple tree.

Here's mine~~

Too cute for Dark-type? go talk to Scraggy, he'll set you straight.
Inspired by cartoons of worms in apples.

Best of luck to all of you!

[EDIT] My justification for the green body is that since it's a baby, it's still a "green shoot" so to speak, while Malaconda is a mature brown-barked tree. Everything else, would have worked better with two prevo stages. Ah well~

Quanialis: Very Treeko-ish, and it's kind of a fun idea with the tail biting. It'd be a fun sprite. Not wildly sold on the colors, they seem a little flat, but then again, I don't have any better suggestions. In my experience when in doubt add more black, but maybe add a hint of red instead? Can't put my finger on it.

Aquakip: Adorable, and an interesting touch with the apple bowtie. I kind of wish the eyes were slanted just a hint. Not full blown malevolence, just a hint of impish mischief. That and maybe lengthening the body a bit, it reads more slug than snake. Also, you could experiment with adding a pair of small front legs.

BBritain: A step in the right direction, but I think you went a bit overboard on the cuteness factor. I taste sugar looking at this design. On its own though there are some nice elements, I like the flower tail idea, and the brown colors work out well. A possibility is to have the bud legs outward, more skink-like instead of upright.

I look forward to the rest of the designs, but these are three fantastic starts.

Edit: Mos-Q: This concept is genius, but again I'm not sold on the lighter pallete, and the design itself aside from the concept is too simple. So simple in fact, that there is little for me to comment on. Hopefully there are some refining stages to be made, but the concept alone has a lot of potential. Keep at it.

Good job so far guys!

Aquakip and Mos-Quitoxe are so far my favourites. I had same kind of concept in my mind as Mos, but I would have made bit more snaky one.

Lets see if submissions are still open when I get my tablet, though I doubt that is not the case. Best of luck to everyone!

Feedback

Quanyails: It's a nice start, although I feel that there's too large a jump from your prevo to Malaconda currently. Perhaps it's the colour scheme... I'd go darker with it, try to relate to Malaconda more. You've certainly made it as sinister as Malaconda though! It's weird to see it biting its own tail, and whilst I understand the reasoning behind it, the end product is just... eccentric. One last criticism I have of your design is the tail, which is rather odd looking. Once again, the reasoning behind it is sound, but it still looks weird. Other than that though, your prevo certainly has potential.

Aquakip: I like it a lot! It manages to be cute whilst also relating to Malaconda. The idea with the pre-mature thorns is especially clever, and I like the addition of the leaf on top of the head. Whilst I don't particularly dislike the placement of the apple, it looks distorted to the point where it comes offputting. Is it an apple bowtie, as Jynx KB assumed, or is it just an apple placed on the neck? I'm not sure how you would go about this; it would certainly look out of place if the apple was situated anywhere else on the body. Also, the actual body-shape of your prevo is a bit stubby, so it relates more to a slug (for lack of a better word) than anything else. Other than that though, you're on to a winner!

BBritain: Hmm... I'm a little unsure on this one. Whilst it certainly has some nice elements, I can't help but feel that it's a mismatch of different ideas. For instance, the leaves you have as feet look slapped on and gimmicky, whilst the tongue is needlessly zig-zagged. Whilst the idea of the apple flower as a tail is good, I'd much rather have the flower facing towards the viewer rather than away. Furthermore, and this is just personal preference, but I dislike the bark idea you have for the prevo's body; it's hard to move your body and legs around when you're encased in bark! Lastly, your prevo really doesn't relate to Malaconda whatsoever, besides from the brown/yellow colour scheme of the body. You have many ideas running that differentiates itself from Malaconda that the end result looks like a completely different pokemon.

Mos-Quitoxe: Ah, cute! I especially like the apple stem you have on top of the head. However, I'm not a huge fan of the design. Whilst it is certainly cute, the colour scheme doesn't relate to Malaconda. Furthermore, the Dark-type aspect doesn't get through in your design. Sure, Scraggy is the same, but that's more anomaly than anything else.

Right now, I feel that most people are trying to be too inventive with their designs to the point where the connection between Malaconda and the prevo is lost.

Alright, I'll be bringing out my opinions on the submissions thus far.

Quanyails: My favorite so far! I really like the route you're taking with the legged serpent; those stubby little legs make it look adorable without being overly cutesy. Amazing job so far! If anything, you should experiment a bit with the coloration; who knows, your design really gets me thinking about potential other palettes.
Aquakip: You've done a great job in keeping it similar to Malaconda in terms of coloration. The apple around its neck is also a really nice accent and the buds only contribute to that.
BBritain: The problem is that I can't connect it to Malaconda. I don't know... Perhaps it looks a little too 'happy' or the pink colors clash with the rest. Maybe make it more serpentine than lizard-esque, too. This is still the beginning of the competition, so you've got plenty of time to think.
Mos-Quitoxe: That is just cute beyond measure and very creative, but I feel it'd fit better in a three-stage evolutionary line.

Good work so far, everyone!

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus

Little brat, probably hides in trees pretending to be a branch and then bites you if you get too close.

OK, here's a plain sketch of my initial design. Originally, I was going to have it a happy little garden snake, but then came the Grass/Dark typing. Then I realized it could easily be adapted. I also jumped on the legged-serpent bandwagon, so... here!

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m616/technozord/malpre1.png

The leaf masking its face implies a mysterious nature, which is always good on a Dark-type, but also looks slightly cuter than Malaconda's head. No fangs or apple, it hasn't yet become very predatory.

I'll trim down the image size for the final submission.

Again, I don't really know how this works. Am I just supposed to edit my old post or am I allowed to make a new post. If I should just edit, I'll do so, but until then, I'm just going to make a new post with my edits. Not much different, but hey.

I did design it with the intention of making it like an apple bowtie. It's a pokemon, it doesn't have to be practical. I thought the placement suited it nicely. And the design on the end of its tail is meant to be somewhat like a seedling. I went ahead and fixed the pose, in the process, making the tail a bit longer. I think it looks more like a snake now. I slanted the eyes a bit more to give it that mischievous look, but kept them big enough to still make it cute. I experimented with legs, but they didn't really work out. I also figured that would make it too similar to Snivy/Servine, being the only other grass snake...why should it, too, have legs? They kind of made it look too much like a lizard/dragon, which it is not.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

After going through various color schemes, I've settled (for now) on a blend of the bottom middle and bottom right options (and added gradients :U). I've also adjusted the feet, which I understand are still rather odd. If I place them properly, they'd be obscured and thus it'd look like it have two legs.

Comments:
  • Aquakip: Adorable. :) I love the 'Adam's apple' location for the pre-evo--how creative! There's something about the design that feels genuine; those little variations between Malaconda and the pre-evo, the style, perhaps? It reminds me, with those nubs and general body shape, of my design for Cupra. :P But that's irrelevant.
  • BBritain: It's quite far from Malaconda's design, I must say. :/ The bark is odd in that if your design evolves into Malaconda, it merges with the bark. Additionally, the Pyroak line also has wood armor. I would prefer the difference in scale and covering be removed. Additionally, while pink is not a bad choice of color, it does not convey the Dark-type. Those eyes with lower eyelids visible are the main culprit; the wide smile may be the accomplice. It loses its menace, which would be fine if the pokemon were Grass-typed, but not for Grass/Dark.
  • Mos-Quitoxe: <3 I still love the worm-in-apple idea, but I do think it loses its designation as a Dark-type pokemon. :( The portion where the worm/snake burrows through the apple make the apple look more like a ball of clumped sand rather than an apple. Perhaps the apple could be shaped more like an apple rather than have it as round as it is? Perhaps you could add angry eyebrows to make it eeeeevil? XD
  • Kadew: <3 It's so devious, yet it's cute at the same time. I love how off-setting the pink and black are to each other, while it conveys Dark/Grass (with Dark as the primary typing)! There's enough similarities to Malaconda while having a great design independently. I have no criticism. :)
  • The Steam Punk: Creative, but it's less connected to Malaconda. Perhaps that idea will change with coloring the design, though I could see it being an offshoot of the Snivy line instead of being closer to Malaconda.
  • Knickles: I like what you did with the tail, and I can certainly see it as a teenage-esque design. I'd say, on a technical note, to make the face less flat; shading should simply suffice. It's an okay design outside of that, though it's not extraordinary in my eyes, as it's strongly reminiscent of Malaconda. :/

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Again, I don't really know how this works. Am I just supposed to edit my old post or am I allowed to make a new post. If I should just edit, I'll do so, but until then, I'm just going to make a new post with my edits. Not much different, but hey.
Aquakip, it's better if you edit your post if you're posting an update to your work in such a short time frame. If you haven't posted your work in a while and would like to draw attention to your design after a few days have passed, then it's better to make a new post. If it's only been one day, then generally it's a better idea to edit your post. You can keep making new posts as long as you're not spamming the thread; use discretion when deciding whether to post again or edit your current post. In my opinion (I am not a moderator), you're fine.

Also, I love your artwork! It's probably my favorite so far :D

Uh well I might post my initial design... not sure if I'm going to stick with it, wanted something that looks innocent at the front but evil at the back + a legged tree climbing snake. Looks more like a gecko though.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Kadew, that is one of the cutest things I've seen in this forum in a very long time. Might I suggest giving him legs, though? One other question: what was the motivation for that leaf coming out of his side?

Wow all the entries are really good so far so comments!

Quanyails I do like the idea of it having legs before he was forced to crawl on his belly by god and I do like how he bites his tail and I do prefer your new colour scheme, though out of the picture of different combinations, my favourite is either top middle or bottom left, although the brown still works fine :)
Aquakip It's cute and I like the idea of the apple boe tieand also the stubby things growing into thorns, but I still think it looks a bit too happy. Dunno though it might just be me. Also I like how you have thought that giving it legs will make it to snivy like.
BBritain I like it and think its cute but I think it looks a bit happy to be dark, mostly because of the shape of the eyes, and also the pink flower is kind of not dark either. But I do like the idea of the apple flower maturing into an apple and I do like the way you have drawn the flower
Mos-Quitoxe That is a very well thought out idea, and I like how you have pulled it off, but I think it looks too cute, even scraggy doesn't look that cute. And also the apple just looks kind of like a ball so try and make it more... Apple shaped lol
Kadew This is my favourite entry so far! I just love how evil and cute it is at the same time and I love the fact that you haven't gone with an over complex design and just stuck with a simple but effective entry. Even though I commented on BBritains about the flower, I think his was too big but you've nailed it and it looks very good!
The Steam Punk Not much to comment on but so far it looks alright. I think the mask is a bit weird in the little picture because we can see two eyes when we should only see one but all's good
Knickles I think it kind of just looks pretty much the same as malaconda but with a flat face and three apples. It is good art but maybe try and make him a bit shorter and also work on making the face look more snakelike by putting the eyes further apart on the side of his head and making the snout more pronounced
Elcheeso I really like this but I just think that this couldn't evolve into malaconda, it's too lizard like and there is some random thing on his tail and it just doesn't look dark type. Try and make him a bit darker and take off that weird tail thing

Overall I think most people are trying to come up with over complex designs and this makes it seem like a stretch that malaconda could evolve from them. My favourite is Kadew
Also I'll post my entry in a couple of days cause im on holiday

I have only one comment
Aquakip: Perhaps you can add an orange band like it's evolution. And maybe come for a for sinister approach with it's eyes, piercing and angry... other than that, I LOVE it! I can't wait to see more art from you!

@Hollymon @Eagle4: I actually looked up references of what an apple flower looked like. There was some more bits and pieces sticking out but I couldn't add them without making it look cluttered.

My idea was similar to Kadew's, except I gave it legs because the biblical serpent didn't lose its legs (And didn't become a jerk) until the Eve thing.

Okay here is my WIP.
It's similar to Kadews but I had this drawn out in the hopes of a prevo, and I just had to colour it, according to the typing. I know the tail is messed up but at the end, if you can't tell it's and apple seed but I think I made it like a giant apple seed cause I wasn't thinking *~*

Aquakip!!
I welcome you to the forum :) And I hope you stick around for some time because I always enjoyed your presence (and you art is amazing).

Here is my design:

I thought it would be cool if I made the head look like and apple and the body like a branch. In that way they could let their head hang and pokemon will see it's apple-like head. When they want to take the apple, it can attack.
The design of the head looked way cooler in my head though... :p

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Kadew's design is too perfect. I don't even know why I'm submitting something.

I should probably draw this in a more dynamic pose. It looks pretty bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)