CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 13 - Name Discussion/Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I had three minutes to think of something, so I'm going to throw Spuriox into the mix. Comes from the words Spurious, meaing fake/not genuine, and Fox (obviously).

Please nothing with "Phox" in it, that sounds very fanboyish.

Nochorro, literally meaning "Night Fox" in Spanish. I think it rolls off the tongue and has a strong but ominous sound to it.

Shlobasma (Kashaf [Arabic for scout] + lobo [Spanish for wolf] + fantasma [Spanish for phantom])

Supporting Phox as well. It's short, simple, fits the concept.

If that doesn't make it, I wouldn't mind Kitsunoh.

Phox

Someone had to say it.
Yes, and if you hadn't said it I would! Phox is a great name, especially with the informal meaning - to confuse or puzzle since this is gonna be very annoying for opponents to deal with.

I also like Kitsunoh and Felinx.

Oh, for comedy value I'll suggest Phat - Phantom and Cat ;-)

I personally hate Kitsunoh. I feel that if we used it, it would bring a huge amount of fanboys etc, just like anything on four legs related to kitsunes is. It also reminds me of Naruto, which is never a good thing.

My favourites so far are Kobalte and Soulstyx.

Expect a name from me fairly soon.

EDIT: Just a little something for anyone who likes the name Phox.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/member.php?u=15093

This, to me, is exactly what that name embodies.

The link works for me.

Hmm...well, if Doug's was chosen, I was gonna put down Skelentel, after Skeleton and Sentinel.

Since our wee quadruped was chosen, thereby opening the doors for many things, I'll put down my new one.

Lynguise.

It's a portmanteau of a Lynx and Disguise, fitting in with the fact that it looks like a kitty.

The Lynx, as many will know, has tufts of fur on the head, and are solitary hunters, which fits a scout as scouts go ahead of the pack and relay info on the enemy.

The disguise bit comes from the mask disguising the true face, as well as the working on the tufts of fur the species runs on their faces.

Okay, Canonceal is the best I could come up with - canine (its wolf/dog-like origins have already been used a lot) + conceal (being a Ghost-type, it will of course be doing a lot of hiding, plus it wears a mask). The spelling could be changed around a bit to make it Kanonseal, making it seem more Pokémon-like and less forced; in addition to this, the K gives it more edge and the S could also come from 'seal', a word that seems to relate to a lot of Ghost-type Pokémon and moves.

Phox sounds catchy. Doesn't relate to the steel typing in any way but it's still the best suggestion so far.

My suggestion is Revenard. Meld between Revenant (ghost) and Renard (french for fox.)

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Might as well give it a shot.
Heres mine: Visoomoa (Vis-oo-mow-a)
VIS: Vision
OOM: Doom, sounds like Tomb
OA: From Foa, Old Norse for Fox

My suggestion is Revenard. Meld between Revenant (ghost) and Renard (french for fox.)
We've already used 'revenant'; this sounds way too similar.

I haven't got a contribution of my own, but I'd like to show my support for Kitsunoh. To everyone complaining about using a Japanese name, Nintendo often keeps Pokémon's Japanese names (such as Pachirisu). I don't see what's wrong with using Japanese words as a base; surely it's no different from using, say, Spanish or Latin.

Phox make me think of a corrupted wording for Pox as in Chicken Pox; despite the fact it's technically pronounced "fox". Phox is only getting this much support because the creator him/herself used it to described his/her creation as some sort of codename. It probably was never made to be it's real name anyway.

The only name so far that appeal to me or Soulynx and Barghast. Soulynx sounds slightly more catchier than barghast, but a pokemon based off a legendary ghost hound is nothing sneeze at either.

All these fox related names make feel a bit queasy in the stomach. I would prefer if we avoid anything that imply fox or kitsune in anyway because I have a bad feeling about those. Beside, it doesn't really look like a Fox at all. It's body structure suggest that it's a wolf with a feline head.

You can say that. Pictures of it depict them as having no snout whatsoever. While that could be the work of the mask, one could say that underneath said mask is a cat-like face. This whole entire thing could just be a cow-sized cat with a bushy tail (several breeds of cats have bushy tails). I say cow-sized because I actually believe a ghostly hell beast being that large and weighting as much as well. This creature make me want to call it the Black Shuck now.

I think I'll try a new name, rather than generic Fox, Cat, etc...

Axceal

Root words:
Axel - A jump used in ice skating (fits this Pokemon jumping around U-turning everywhere)
Conceal - To hide something. (it's a ghost fox hiding behind a steel mask... it's gotta be concealing something...)

Because Kitsunoh is just weeaboos wanting a Japanese name cause it looks like a fox. No one gets how it relates to anything without prior Japanese language. I commend the effort put into it, but seriously, who uses Pachirisu anyway? You guys should refer to prior CAPs to see he names that are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)