CAP 12 CAP1 - Part 8 - (Name Submissions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

Here are a couple of my suggestions before I decide on my final submittion. They are basically hybrid names of different birds and big cats.

Leonix
Pheon
Condiger
Falceon
Leonix
Feargle
Vultiger
Nixon (lol)

Thanks, bye.

Well, I was going to suggest Gryffaux or however one wants to spell it, but as it always is with the name poll, a couple hours and someone's already posted it.

Anyways, I suggest Tigeroc. Tiger + Roc (the legendary bird of prey).

Leophos
Anatonmy Leo is the latin word for lion and phos is from the Greek word gryphos which means griffin

Final Submission

Gryphawk

These "griffin" names seem to suit it well, although I favor the alternate spelling of "gryphon". Combined with the previously suggested "Tomahawk" for the Naive American theme, since I feel like that's more key to its design that the "fake-ness" of it. Seems to me calling it any form of "faux" or "fake" would just downplay its power, which is real.

Some thoughts:
Tigrappl: tiger + grapple (no, I don't care if it's a lion)
Atleo: atlatl (Native American hunting weapon) + leo
El Tigre: obscure Nickelodeon cartoon reference (don't take this seriously)

FINAL SUBMISSION:

Skyren

reasoning: It's a smooth name and the CAP simply looks like a skyren

Etymology:Sky+Siren

(in case you didn't know) Sirens: A mythological "monster" that varies, ranging from mermaids to large BIRDS with human heads, but they are all known to TRICK sailors by singing a song that attracts the sailors (pretty much forcibly, *coughwhirlwindcough*), they jump off their ship and drown.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Heh, a bit late to this show. But nobody took my idea so cool!

Final Submission:

Fauxment

Pronounced: "Foe-ment"

Etymology: Faux (false, fake) + Momentum; Foment (to instigate or foster)

Basically, a Pokemon that fosters momentum through deception.

Final Submission

Well, seeing as my other one was completely horrifying, how about...
Pohawku
It's an amalgamation of hawk, mohawk, and pohatu (if anyone here knows about bionicles)

Final Submission

Gruffion

Gruff+Gryphon+Lion

I think the name should reflect the fighting-type a little, hence my inclusion of "gruff."

EDIT: D'oh, and I forgot to point out it's modeled after the word "Ruffian," though that should have been pretty easy to see.

like Dougs, brilliant Idea in there...

how about something similar to Aztec traditions?
They had Jaguar warriors - so how about something like a gryphin (or however you spell it) warrior?

gryphor

eeh, I can't think of much, but Gryphon + warrior = Gryphor? warGryph? feedback?

as for you TravelLog I like the concepts you've got there, but I don't get no. 2, and no. 3 doesn't fit with this design IMO

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fauxment is great, Deck Knight. Best so far.

Playing off of the Faux element:

Fauxray

faux = fake, ray = beam of radiant energy (conveys special attacking), foray = a quick, sudden attack usually for the purpose of taking plunder

Final submission

Eyriefaux

This is a four or five way pun. So let's get down to business.

Eyrie; an eagle or bird of prey's nest. Faux; a fake, an imposter. This loosely describes the bird like nature and the fakery aspect of this pokemon.

Eyrie has two correct pronunciations - Ear-ee or Air-ee. Faux is a homophone for 'foe'.

No matter which way you pronounce Eyrie, you are hitting on a homophone pun! Airy-foe? Sure is! Eerie-foe? That's why it has intimidate!

I love puns and wordplay, hopefully you do too.

Cherokat (Cherokee + Cat)

Griffdian (Griffin + Indian)

Skiger/Skyger (Sky + Tiger)

Tribalot (Tribal + Ocelot)

Pachemera (Apache + Chimera)

Falcat (False + Falcon + Cat)

My goal for coming up with a name for our CAP is to make it easy to pronounce.

Gruffon It just seemes like a good fit....Gryphon+Gruff....Seems like a gruff sort of pokemon
Flyger Flyer+Tiger Might tweak it a bit ......Edit:Sorta Ninja'd with DougJustDoug's Skyger

Pretty sure you guys have every possible syllable attached to "griff" by now, so I'll try something different. Someone else mentioned that the design reminds them of native american religion, and I agree, specifically with the thunderbird which is present on the totem poles in movies etc.

- Totemerion or something similar ?

...Dang. I lost.

Anyway, my attempt at naming is going to take "Gryphon" and mix it with something Spanish, or African. Something about this Pokemon screams "SPANIARD".

Delanphon or alternatively Gryphtero combines Gryphon with the Spanish word for "Forward", which is "Delantero". I'll pick which of these I like best for my final submission.

I'm also toying with Portuguese "Atacante". Hawkante, Gryphante and Stratahawk seem interesting.

Lucahawk or Gryphuca are also cool, coming from Spanish/Portuguese words for "Fighting", and then mixed with a bird.

I also want to look at other birds. Also "Raptor". How has that not been mentioned? Osprey might also have something. I'll work on it.

Cherokeet

Name is based off of the native american tribe Cherokee and a parakeet :)
This name made me laugh because it's so simple yet it has that cuteness that matches the design. Plus, it's a portmanteau that actually flows well unlike some names that go down the "Griffin" route. Seriously, a lot of the names that incorporate "Griffin" or "Gryphon" don't look like they were well thought out - Griffdian? Gryphahawk? Grath? Gryblitz? Whoever suggested Tigriff, that sounds like a good name for a potential prevo of this CAP. Also, someone else said that they didn't like names with "faux" or "phony" or similar words in them and I have to agree. When I quickly glance at the design, I don't get the impression that there's something false about it.

Anyway, I'm going to suggest the name Clawfeathr - it's just "claw" and "feather" put together, with "feather" being compressed so the name fits the ten-character limit (like Feraligatr). I'm going with this because what stands out to me in the design is the combination of claws and wings, but I didn't want Clawing or Clawwing because the second one didn't look right and the first is just a normal word.

Might as well throw this in.

Final Submission

Gryphage - Gryphon + Savage

Simple, rolls off the tongue, and plays off of the interesting tribal design.

I'm not going to give up just because Doug went the same way that I am intending to go.

My draft submission is: Haidagriff

I'll be the first to admit that this kind of name seems more appropriate on a multi-stage evolutionary line (and that aspect has yet to be decided), but please hear me out. I know that the name kind of requires looking up; however, I am going for a feel that's similar to the Deino line et al, and I like the references that the name taps into.

The name structure is similar to that of the term "Hippogriff", the offspring of a griffin and a mare. The Haida is an Canadian aboriginal ethnic group who purportedly made the first totem poles or something like that. However, there's a slightly more interesting connotation. See, I vaguely remembered the Raven creation story that some aboriginal tribes had, but since CAP 1 has mostly white fur, I did some research on white ravens. I came across this article and it seems that the Raven in these stories (at least oral tellings from the Haida) was originally white, and became black from flying through a longhouse to escape with the sun and the moon.

Bleh, I haven't explained this very well, but the article at least is interesting! I wanted to pull away from the simple griffin portmanteaus (though my entry still sort of is a portmanteau) and give CAP 1 a name worthy of its design, which also sought to pull away from the "obvious" martial arts birds that people kept drawing.

Also, please be more careful in your name submissions, guys. I mean... Gryphawk? Fauwk? Am I the only one who sees something terribly wrong with these names?

Gruffon It just seemes like a good fit....Gryphon+Gruff....Seems like a gruff sort of pokemon
Flyger Flyer+Tiger Might tweak it a bit ......Edit:Sorta Ninja'd with DougJustDoug's Skyger
Actully it's The Other Doug.

On another note...
Final Submission:
Pachemera (Apache + Chimera)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)