All Gens Capitalization

Only non-Choiced Pursuit pokemon I have seen is SR Tyranitar, which is beaten by Lucario and therefore forced out anyways.

OU or past OU Pursuit trappers off the top of my head:
Scarf / Band / SR Tar
CB Scizor
CB Weavile
CB Lax
CB Hera

So it is kinda implied that a Choiced pokemon is using Pursuit.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The Snorlax on Chansey example made me think of Snorlax on Blissey in GSC, considering that Snorlax can do alot more than in RBY. Charm Blissey is rarely seen at all and it still can't really combat lax, Reflect Blissey is incompatible with Heal Bell (correct me if i'm wrong), Flamethrower does pityful damage and the only thing that can actually do something versus a lax is Toxic. Considering that most lax carry Rest this isn't really a very punishing move for the incoming lax. Everyone knows how dangerous a lax can get after some setup, no matter if that's curse or drum, and that basically free setup for lax blissey provides is also the main reason why it's the inferior beller.
But then again, lax can capitalize off alot things in gsc, Blissey is just the most extreme example i'd say, apart from sleeping or frozen mons of course.

In ADV, Heracross switches in nicely on a Blissey this way, especially if you predict a Toxic: You set up probably the most threatening mon in the game. Set up a Sub on the free turn, protecting you from a hit if it stays in and granting you a safe Focus Punch to fire off if it switches. Whatever happens, something is going down with a ton of hurt.

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
ADV: DD Tyranitar coming in on Jirachi. Not entirely risk-free given serene grace + possible fire punch, as well as superachi, but the odds are generally in Tyranitar's favor here.

DP: Machamp coming in on Tyranitar.

Kingdra can come pretty easily on Starmie in DPP too, with the chestorest / rain / specs sets, LOmie is the the most damaging one but you can tank it pretty well

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You're right. It does have one move that can take out Lax (Sing), but it's unreliable and still doesn't work vs. Sleep Talk Lax.
Hilariously enough even sleeping lax forces out blissey - flamethrower/ice beam is a possible 9hko, seismic toss does a strong 19%. Sleep talk directly sets up on that and potentially threatens the switchin, every other lax can instantly burn a sleep turn.

Hilariously enough even sleeping lax forces out blissey - flamethrower/ice beam is a possible 9hko, seismic toss does a strong 19%. Sleep talk directly sets up on that and potentially threatens the switchin, every other lax can instantly burn a sleep turn.
Yeah, what I'm saying is that Sing Blissey isn't a free switch for awake Lax because asleep Lax is a problem elsewhere, not that Blissey can kill it on the spot.

The best gen4 example:
Sub split Gengar taking advantage of taunt toxic Gliscor. Just completely immune to Gliscors whole set and can set up a sub while Gliscor's forced out.

Similarly I also like using sub pass jolteon to check sub toxic zapdos, if Jolteon gets a sub up then zapdos is completely powerless against it.

In RBY the best one is most certainly Snorlax for Chansey. Snorlax gets in for very little cost on an active Chansey, and then gets basically a free hit off. This matchup is complicated by Counter and made even better with Rest Snorlax. Lax is just so scary to everything in RBY, in addition to being tempted so heavily by an active Chansey, it's also the go-to switch in against sleeping mons and predicted switches to physically frail para'd mons.
Well, the 10% chance of freeze and likely GG right there is a significant problem. Particularly if you make a habit of Snorlax-into-Chansey. It also has to switch right back out (or try to para it before Selfdestructing) if Chansey Reflects.

Also, while Lax has an at-least-okay matchup against most things in RBY double-switches to Cloyster can really put it in a bind.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Only non-Choiced Pursuit pokemon I have seen is SR Tyranitar, which is beaten by Lucario and therefore forced out anyways.

OU or past OU Pursuit trappers off the top of my head:
Scarf / Band / SR Tar
CB Scizor
CB Weavile
CB Lax
CB Hera

So it is kinda implied that a Choiced pokemon is using Pursuit.
Just be careful here. What you think is a Scarf could be a Babiri Berry on Tar after a well played bluff. All of a sudden, DOGE gets flattened by Superpower as it tries to set up. This has blown up on me a couple of times in particular. Also, Spiritomb is a decent Pursuit user on stall that Luc can't set up on.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I disagree with Pursuit users and Trappers being mentioned here, as they don't really capture the spirit of capitalization. They actively aim to KO the Pokemon they switch in on, instead of using them as an opportunity to get free turns.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with Pursuit users and Trappers being mentioned here, as they don't really capture the spirit of capitalization. They actively aim to KO the Pokemon they switch in on, instead of using them as an opportunity to get free turns.
The argument was not that Pursuit users can capitalize on Pokemon Y, but Pokemon X can capitalize on the plethora of Choiced Pursuit users when they lock themselves into the move. I agree that Pursuit users should not be Pokemon X though. Lucario was Pokemon X in this case, I just wanted to point out that trying to capitalize on what you think is a Choiced Pursuit user can be dangerous for DOGE some of the time.

Edit:
Also:
DPP:
Skarmory can capitalize on Scizor; using it as Spikes bait. The longer a Scizor is in against it, the more Spikes you get. Whirlwind Scizor out if it turns out to be SD.

Gyarados can also capitalize on Scizor easily. It can set up a Dragon Dance or Substitute with no fear of Scizor at all.

Last edited:
Forgot RBY Slowbro into Alakazam, but that's almost a vacuous case; Slowbro's the ONLY thing that can switch into a fresh Zam and actually kill it outright. Threatening to sweep is almost an afterthought.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if I'm doing this right but, Tyranitar and Skarmory. In DPP, I used a Taunt + DD set for Tyranitar that wasn't really popular, I think. Normally, Skarmory would be able to phaze it out with ease, not taking much damage even from a +1 Stone Edge, but TauntDDTar can use Skarmory as set up fodder after taunting it.

if your opponent is using skarm as their ddtar counter you should probably be winning that battle anyway... taunt is almost always worthless and makes you give up much-needed coverage.

I recommend running a spinner alongside Druidcruel to ensure the foe's Spiker keeps coming back in.
although nitpicking, i wholehearted disagree with this statement. unless tenta is flat out sweep ready, i guarantee having spikes on the field (even if not forever) > 1 free turn for tentacruel in most games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)