Catching Diamond and Pearl Legendaries : A Guide [see sd's topic]

I meant it can never appear in Lake Verity and such (I'm 90% sure it can't), not any body of water. I suppose I can fix up the wording somehow.

On Smeargle, to be frank, I don't think it's worth it. It will take a while to get the desired moveset on Smeargle, let alone do all the other stuff (training, breeding) that you would have to do anyway. In the end, all Smeargle really nets you is more variety in moves, but with much worse stats. I understand what you are trying to say - that Smeargle can do a great many things to help you catch the legendaries, but it's really easier in the long run to use something like Gallade.

I meant it can never appear in Lake Verity and such (I'm 90% sure it can't), not any body of water. I suppose I can fix up the wording somehow.

On Smeargle, to be frank, I don't think it's worth it. It will take a while to get the desired moveset on Smeargle, let alone do all the other stuff (training, breeding) that you would have to do anyway. In the end, all Smeargle really nets you is more variety in moves, but with much worse stats. I understand what you are trying to say - that Smeargle can do a great many things to help you catch the legendaries, but it's really easier in the long run to use something like Gallade.
Not really. It only took me a few days to get my Smeargle to a high enough level to snag things easily. Plus heart scales are great, as are double battles for teaching it moves. Smeargle doesn't need to be too strong for merely catching pkmn, so I think that he is poorly underrated.

Smeargle levels up at about 2x the rate of Gallade, yes. However, this is only really going to put you at an advantage for Mesprit and Cresselia catching. Otherwise, Smeargle needs to be at a higher level, due to his Defenses ... both of which are much lower than Gallade's. So Smeargle can heal you say. Well, so can Gallade if you give it an item. See, Gallade would take longer to breed, but Smeargle takes a while to teach the moves anyway, along with getting Technician (only in D/P). Also, in response to having Smeargle use Swords Dance, Gallade can use it as well. That leaves Smeargle with Technician and STAB over Gallade, which doesn't mean much considering it has 105 less base Attack. Sure, Smeargle's an option, I just really don't think it's the best one, and certainly not underrated.

Regardless, I'm going to try and put Smeargle in here somewhere, hopefully explaining some of the above. I'm working on a huge addition to my Stats guide however, so it will have to wait another week or so.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Since choas bumped this, I happened to read the guide.

I don't see any mention that the lead Synchronizer can be fainted and still have the same effect as a healthy lead poke. This allows you to have a second pokemon with a sleep move and False Swipe, since the game automatically sends out your second poke if the first one is fainted. This is how I synchronized a lot of regular wild pokemon, so I assume you can use it with legendaries too. It opens the breeding field outside of stuff like Gallade, and makes it easier to build a catch team.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also, adding Altaria to the False Swipe / Sleep Move list might be a good idea. Or at least giving it a mention. I know Sing isn't as accurate, but it's what I've always used and it works fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)