Votes: 73 45.6%
  • Dogs

Votes: 87 54.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I hate to disagree. But when's the last time someone was killed, or seriously mauled by a domestic cat? If they were dog sized, sure they could. But not when they are like below knee height.
The point wasn't if it happens often. The point here was that a cat could if it had to. Cats typically try to avoid conflicts whenever possible, they'd rather move to another place than waste their energy on a fight.

But we're getting off-topic, it's probably better to let this thread go on about what people think are better.

The point wasn't if it happens often. The point here was that a cat could if it had to. Cats typically try to avoid conflicts whenever possible, they'd rather move to another place than waste their energy on a fight.

But we're getting off-topic, it's probably better to let this thread go on about what people think are better.
Haha, that is true. Ah yes, the poll is getting quite close actually.

Cats, Smogoners seem to be 'dog' people :(

Kittens are SOOOO cute, you can hold one in your hand! I can't explain my cat love. I don't have a pet though...

I like both, but I am partial to cats. Funny thing is, the reason I like them is the same reason alot of people hate them - because they're independent. I love my cat because she clearly has chosen me over everyone else, and she isn't an attention slut like alot of dogs are. It may sound selfish, but sometimes it's nice to have a pet that you know is all yours. To me, there is nothing more soothing than a purring cat next to you when you're feeling down or sick or upset. And really, cats aren't the hateful bitches that people make them out to be. They can be every bit as loving as dogs, they just won't do tricks for you and play fetch (although my cat does XD).

And some of you people are being far too closed-minded about cats. Most of what you're saying is just generalization, and based on what you've heard rather than actual experience owning one. Dogs can be lazy and sleep all day (like my dad's wife's dog) just as much as cats can. Also, if you want a testament to cat loyalty, try my cat. If the dog or the other cat are being aggressive toward me in any way, my cat will run from wherever she is and get between us. If I am not awake and out of bed by 6 AM on weekdays for work, my cat will climb all over me until I am. When I leave the house and back out of the driveway, I can always see my cat in the window, watching me drive away and meowing. The second I step back in that door after being gone a while, my cat will be right there meowing and purring because she's happy to see me. She's 11 years old and still playful as a kitten, and she can sense my moods. She also comes when I call her, and sleeps at the foot of my bed every night.

So before you draw conclusions about cats, try owning one first. I live with both, I like both, but I definitely prefer cats.
Sums things up.

I've had both, and my opinion is cats by a long shot. Dogs are frequently annoying and most feel a need to be right there in your face, and require a lot of attention and space to be actually happy. They also have a tendency to do some disgusting stuff (eating their own vomit, both dogs we've had like to eat the cat's poop right out of the litter box) Most cats, on the other hand, are relatively self sustaining as long as you feed them and take care of their litter box if they have one. The consistently smaller size is nice too, they get in the way less and you can hold pretty much any of them in your lap. Maybe I've just had good luck with cats but all the ones I've had have been quite friendly and affectionate.

They're also cuter.

I love them both. More broadly, I love animals. I prefer cats because they are a bit more self-reliant. As pets I really can't say because I've only ever had two cats and one dog (the rest rodents and fish) since I was little. I still have them both. One of the cats is pretty much the most loving and adorable little girl ever. She is minuscule and essentially my shadow. Cats are much cleaner (something very important to me) and teach themselves things. On the flipside, dogs are very loyal... I have a dog (that has awful separation anxiety >_>) that functions as a homing pigeon and, while he pours his love into everyone he meets and is quite playful, he is very, very loyal to my family. My cat is also pretty loyal though, so I'm lucky to have such lovely pets. The other cat is quite playful. All three are quite demanding!

Bigger dogs tend to frighten me a bit due to experiences I had as a small kid, but I really like small dogs. However, they are noisy as fuck and tend to yap, a noise I can't tolerate. Cats meow and purr, which are both noises I love to hear. ^_^

Dogs tend to... be hard to get to go away, or at least mine, who ALWAYS wants to be around people. Cats, at least in my experience, are quite intuitive, although the ball is pretty much in their court whether they go away or not. I am biased as hell because I REALLY love my cat more than any other animal (I play favourites...) for her incredible sensitivity to when I'm sick/injured/sad and her gentle spirit. Years before, I would've said that I prefer dogs, because I was scared of hissing and scratching cats, but most aren't predisposed to that. If you raise them like that, sure, they'll be like that, but I've only ever met gentle cats. Also, as mentioned, cats take care of themselves pretty well, so they're less... anxiety-causing. If my dog is ever not around I feel stressed because he's very much a home animal, but cats adapt well to outside and can hunt better.

Cats, I love them, always have done. In defense of the Kitty Collective: they take up less room. They are (subjectively) cuter; they don't need all my attention all of the time - my best friend has just got a puppy and dear fucking christ I had to look after the thing for about 15 minutes whilst she skinned up. It was like looking after a hyperactive child. It had it's little puppy face in everything, was biting, chewing, pissed on the floor then threw up a sock of mine it had eaten. Fuck off am I looking after something that daft. Cats, on the other hand.. cats are lovely. Even when you get a really stupid, unfriendly (as in independent.. she'll v rarely actually come and sit on you, or come and see you, usually staying in the corner of the room and looking sulky) animal they're still way better than dogs.
They need so much less attention! Dogs smell rank, too. Urgh. And they get messy. And they're generally slobberier and bigger.
Fuck dogs.

cats, not matter what, they are so smart that we believe they are our pets, when instead they are very indipendent and see us like a protector-like animal, this is why many people don't like cats, because they seem them as opportunist, I instead, love how they dare to it :]
I see the dogs like too dependet from their human friend, and too dangerous in some case (big ones, noticed that I've two dogs, and one Is really big, I've always had both kind of pets since I was born, I've grown with all kind of dogs, cats, birds, fish too, so I know their attitudes).
I know my point of view may seems odd, but I like how cats try to nick us :] and mostly because once you can make a cat trust you, he/she (no, I don't use IT with cats) well become 100% better than any dog could be, I know for experience, said that, I wish my Smoke never left now...

I prefer cats too dogs mainly because my aunts dog used to fill up the lawn with shit so nobody could collect the post. Especially on rainy days where the shit would gather by the door seeing as the garden lawn is on a steep hill. And I'm allergic to dogs, that doesn't help either.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dogs are always there after a hard day to cheer you up, while cats are more independent and don't need you as much. Dogs need love and will try to cheer you up when you're glum in the best ways. So dogs get my vote!
I beg to differ. It really depends on the cat. My two cats, especially one of them, are really attached to me. Said cat Jasmine follows me around everywhere and sits on my lap all the time. Both of my cats get visibly and audibly upset when we leave, even if it's as simple as going to the bathroom (and when I say audibly upset it's a big thing, my cats are Birmans and almost never "say" anything).

I choose cats ^__^ While I like some dogs, they slobber all over you, are more work, and less manageable (big ones that is).

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I would much prefer seeing this poll only made of people that have actually had both dogs and cats rather than a silly 15 minutes experience with them or hearsays to use as a base.

Personally I enjoy cats. I also love dogs, it's just cats are more my style. Dogs usually always want to play or something while me and my cat can just lay on my bed and chill all day. They are both great but there is something about cats I like more.

I would much prefer seeing this poll only made of people that have actually had both dogs and cats rather than a silly 15 minutes experience with them or hearsays to use as a base.
If that was in any way a dig at my post, I think it was somewhat unnecessary - not only do I have a physical aversion to dogs (their spit and their smell) it was quite evident from that short period of time that I would not want something that needed constant supervision in my life. If I did, I'd take off my contraceptive patch. I haven't owned a dog because I don't want to own a dog. I don't need to have lived with a dog to know that I like cats.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If that was in any way a dig at my post, I think it was somewhat unnecessary - not only do I have a physical aversion to dogs (their spit and their smell) it was quite evident from that short period of time that I would not want something that needed constant supervision in my life. If I did, I'd take off my contraceptive patch. I haven't owned a dog because I don't want to own a dog. I don't need to have lived with a dog to know that I like cats.
The post wasn't directed at you but at many, just as much at that person that implies he prefers cats because his aunt's dog shits on the lawn.

The question isn't "do you like cats" but rather which one between dogs and cats do you prefer. While we do not need to have lived with both to have a preference, I would still only consider people that have actual experience with both to be qualified to properly make an educated pick. It is on par with someone that has never drank to question alcohol consomption. You won't ever miss (or sometimes want) something you've never had.

Interesting how much closer the poll is now, used to be like 78% dogs.
If you ask me, it depends on the animal, you get nice and bad cats,
just as you get nice and bad dogs.
Despite this, I voted Dog. Beause they are faster. Unless they're fat. Or the cat is fast. Or the dog is eating my socks again.

The question isn't "do you like cats" but rather which one between dogs and cats do you prefer. While we do not need to have lived with both to have a preference, I would still only consider people that have actual experience with both to be qualified to properly make an educated pick. You won't ever miss (or sometimes want) something you've never had.
It is better to have had experience with both, but when it comes down to personal taste, there is no right or wrong argument with which to justify your opinion. If this were "Do you prefer apples or bananas?", I could theoretically have just as much reason to vote for one as I would have to vote for the other. Ultimately, all it is is personal choice, and if someone's unwilling to try one option, they can just say they prefer the other.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
dogs:

- are ugly
- smell like ass
- lick their own ass and then lick your face
- shit everywhere
- bark at anything that moves in the middle of the night and wake your neighbors up
- piss on everything
- make annoying ass clicking noises when they walk on tile floors
- are stupid

cats:

- are cute
- politely ask you to let them outside so they can dig their own bathroom and use it
- dont wake your neighbors up
- will never bother you
- clean themselves

i think its pretty obvious that cats are better. dogs are disgusting, vile animals and I will never live in a house that allows dogs in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)