Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Stone Edge
- Autotomize

This set works really well for me and I really think it should be on the first page somewhere. Stone Edge is my preferred option for hitting water/bugs and flying guys that resist Heavy Slam (Gyarados, Mantine, etc...). People really underestimate this guy. I prefer Leftovers over Life Orb since Celesteela has such great typing and bulk. Adamant lets you outspeed everything un-boosted so you only lose to Choice Scarf but unless its super effective you'll likely KO back. Heavy Slam is ridiculously good with Fairies everywhere.
This relies on you getting a Beast Boost for actual damage, because I'm pretty sure you don't OHKO anything of note unboosted- you're also hard walled by Ferrothorn, opposing stall Celesteelas running Leech Seed, and Skarmory in general, not to mention Gliscor. The rare Balloontran also will probably OHKO you as well (Pretty sure even with a crit Stone Edge won't kill it outright even after Stealth Rock)

This relies on you getting a Beast Boost for actual damage, because I'm pretty sure you don't OHKO anything of note unboosted- you're also hard walled by Ferrothorn, opposing stall Celesteelas running Leech Seed, and Skarmory in general, not to mention Gliscor. The rare Balloontran also will probably OHKO you as well (Pretty sure even with a crit Stone Edge won't kill it outright even after Stealth Rock)
This is very true. It's better to go mixed or special so you can use Flamethrower because it handles so much more. Heatran walls a pure special set, but that's what teammates are for.

Wondering what would be a good team for Celesteela so far I've got Toxapex, Salazzle (for Celesteela mirror matches) and Mimikyu. Thinking of throwing in a Tapu, maybe Tapu Fini? Then I need a Mon to run EQ, anything I can run besides the obvious choice (Garchomp).

Wondering what would be a good team for Celesteela so far I've got Toxapex, Salazzle (for Celesteela mirror matches) and Mimikyu. Thinking of throwing in a Tapu, maybe Tapu Fini? Then I need a Mon to run EQ, anything I can run besides the obvious choice (Garchomp).
i don't know about that team, but garchomp isn't very good rn. you can fit eq in on a lot of physical mons cause it has good distribution, but if you want a ground type landog is the obvious choice.

What do you guys think the best set is for Physical Autonomize with Flamethrower/Fire Blast? It seems like Adamant doesn't fare that well.

4- SpA Celesteela Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 106-126 (61.9 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4- SpA Celesteela Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Ferrothorn: 136-160 (75.1 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4- SpA Celesteela Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Scizor: 160-192 (90.3 - 108.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

So you can either play Flamethrower and 2HKO these, or play the Fire Blast just to try to OHKO uninvested Scizor. Either way, neither seem very optimal, but there's no good stat to drop other than Sp. Attack, so Adamant or Jolly with Flamethrower doesn't seem great.
So even if you predict their switch into a Steel, you can't deal with it without giving them a turn to switch out after eating the first Flamethrower/Fire Blast. Still, it takes a chunk out of their Steels and late-game can still net kills, so is the Adamant Mixed set still viable? Or are Physical Autonomize and Physically-based Mixed w/ Flamethrower sets mutually exclusive?

I've been using this Celesteela:
Calm Nature
@ Leftovers
252 HP and SpD, 4 Def
Toxic
Leech Seed
Fire Blast
Giga Drain

I am very much aware that running Heavy Slam is important for damage. But damage output wasn't on my mind for this build. The idea was to chip away at HP so that safely switching in becomes a non-factor. I've done pretty well with it. Besides, the rest of my team is full of heavy hitting sweepers and wallbreakers so I decided on a more passive strategy.

By the way, wouldn't running Autotomize weaken your own Heavy Slam? I've been seeing that on Showdown quite often.

So... aside from Sassy, what natures should I go catch this thing with? Also, why are 0 Atk IVs specified for some sets?

1. Careful if you want to run EQ over Flamethrower on the SpDef set, or Modest/Adamant for Autotomise sets.

2. Confusion and Foul Play damage. It's really not necessary on-cart, though, and is just a min-max thing for Showdown.

Has anyone tried Specs Celesteela?
I tossed Celesteela onto a team I made as filler and had no idea what set to go with; saw Beast Boost and thought 'specs' for some reason so I gave that a go.

Celesteela @ Specs
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD (could probably use a more precise spread as far as speed tiers and such go, I just wanted her to tank)
- Air Slash
- Flash Cannon (could probably be replaced with HP ground, since I never use this and Heatran walls otherwise)
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast

I use it with a Sticky Web team and it's gotten a few surprise sweeps by nabbing an easy Air Slash KO then muscling through everything else via Specs and Beast Boost.

What can counter this ?Can alolan marowak ?
No, I think Air Slash and Earthquake 2HKO after Stealth Rock if Celesteela's running an offensive spread. Rotom-W, Rotom-H and defensive Zapdos can beat it easily enough. Heatran can beat sets that lack Earthquake. Thundurus can fry it with Thunderbolt and stop Autotomize sets with a priority Thunder Wave. Bulky Water-types can check it, although Acrobatics can still hurt them.

I've been trying a Special Sweeper set with Autotomize, Flash Cannon, Fire Blast and either Air Slash, Grass Knot or Giga Drain in the final slot. Max Speed and Special Attack with a Modest Nature (still outruns Pheramosa at +2) with the Steelium Z. That gives you a Corkscrew Crash to help kickstart Beast Boost. What would be some good teammates for it?

A few things I can determine after using Celesteela:

1. Special Sweeper sets are outclassed by Magearna. It's more powerful, has stronger STABs and can OHKO Heatran with All Out Pummelling.
2. Physically defensive sets are outclassed by Skarmory. If you want to use it as a wall, go Specially defensive
3. Bulky Attacker and Physical Autotomize sets are the best IMO. This is the set I've been running, and it's been great

Celesteela @ No item
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Autotomize
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

Designed to clean up late game. Autotomize lets you outrun Tapu Koko with the given EVs. You could run 252 if you want to outrun Pheramosa and Mega Alakazam. Acrobatics is the main STAB. Earthquake hits the Rock, Steel and Electric types that resist it. Heavy Slam is the alternate STAB to crush Fairy-types. You could also run Fire Blast or Stone Edge in that slot to hit Scizor and Thundurus, respectively. No item is used so that Acrobatics has max power.

1. Special Sweeper sets are outclassed by Magearna. It's more powerful, has stronger STABs and can OHKO Heatran with All Out Pummelling.
2. Physically defensive sets are outclassed by Skarmory. If you want to use it as a wall, go Specially defensive
3. Bulky Attacker and Physical Autotomize sets are the best IMO. This is the set I've been running, and it's been great

Celesteela @ No item
Adamant Nature
- Autotomize
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

Designed to clean up late game. Autotomize lets you outrun Tapu Koko with the given EVs. You could run 252 if you want to outrun Pheramosa and Mega Alakazam. Acrobatics is the main STAB. Earthquake hits the Rock, Steel and Electric types that resist it. Heavy Slam is the alternate STAB to crush Fairy-types. You could also run Fire Blast or Stone Edge in that slot to hit Scizor and Thundurus, respectively. No item is used so that Acrobatics has max power.
Skarmory doesn't have Leech Seed. and they both play very differently for walls. Leech Seeders deplete the opponent's HP by stalling with Protect or firing Leech Seed at predicted switches. The health recovered from Leech Seed is used to withstand more attacks, depleting more HP to bring the opponent in range for Heavy Slam or Flamethrower (or you can switch something in to finish it off). Skarmory guarantees its longevity by Roosting, and instead of damaging opponents with its attacks or Leech Seed, it phazes things out, Defogs, or sets up Spikes or Stealth Rock.

A better comparison for a physical wall would be Ferrothorn since they both have Leech Seed and their Steel attacks are similar. Of course, they do not share the same typing, so Buzzwole would do better against Ferrothorn, and Zygarde would do better against Celesteela. But they are qualitatively similar since both can have exceptional physical bulk and have good typing.

Celesteela @ No item
Adamant Nature
- Autotomize
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

You could just use Flying Gem instead for the "lol surprise fuck you" factor (Flying Gem is consumed first before the game checks for the presence of an item)

You could just use Flying Gem instead for the "lol surprise fuck you" factor (Flying Gem is consumed first before the game checks for the presence of an item)
Is Flying Gem even out?

Might as well go for the Flying Z-move at that point TBH. Gets you the Acro boost, 1 time powerful thing to boot.

Celesteela @ No item
Adamant Nature
- Autotomize
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

Special sets are not outclassed by magearna cause celestela easily set ups on more things like lando and chomp while automatize leech see d 2 attacks set can pivot and stall some passive things wearing them down while recovering hp at the same thing.

A damage-reducing berry could be another possibility.

The first thing that comes to my mind is a Wacan Berry, which could let you, say, Autotomize in front of a Tapu Koko (which otherwise OHKOes with an Electric move of its choice), OHKO it with Heavy Slam (62.5% chance after SR and Life Orb recoil) or Earthquake (guaranteed under the same circumnstances) the following turn and clean afterwards.

It helps that Celesteela is not weak to any priority move (although it's compensated by only resisting a few).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)