Pokémon Celesteela

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name: Celesteela
Type: Steel / Flying
Pokedex #: 797
Ability: Beast Boost: This Pokemon's highest stat is raised by 1 if it attacks and KOes another Pokemon.
Stats: 97/101/103/107/101/61

Level Up Movepool:
L1: Absorb
L1: Harden
L1: Ingrain
L1: Tackle
L1: Wide Guard
L1: Air Slash
L7: Smack Down
L13: Mega Drain
L19: Leech Seed
L23: Metal Sound
L29: Iron Head
L31: Giga Drain
L37: Flash Cannon
L43: Autotomize
L47: Seed Bomb
L53: Skull Bash
L59: Iron Defense
L67: Heavy Slam
L73: Double-Edge

TM Compatibility:

TM 06 | Toxic
TM 10 | Hidden Power
TM 15 | Hyper Beam
TM 17 | Protect
TM 21 | Frustration
TM 22 | Solarbeam
TM 23 | Smack Down
TM 26 | Earthquake
TM 27 | Return
TM 32 | Double Team
TM 35 | Flamethrower
TM 38 | Fire Blast
TM 42 | Facade
TM 43 | Flame Charge
TM 44 | Rest
TM 48 | Round
TM 53 | Energy Ball
TM 59 | Brutal Swing
TM 62 | Acrobatics
TM 64 | Explosion
TM 67 | Smart Strike
TM 68 | Giga Impact
TM 71 | Stone Edge
TM 74 | Gyro Ball
TM 76 | Fly
TM 78 | Bulldoze
TM 80 | Rock Slide
TM 86 | Grass Knot
TM 87 | Swagger
TM 88 | Sleep Talk
TM 90 | Substitute
TM 91 | Flash Cannon
TM 100 | Confide

Celesteela has huge potential to become one of OU's top threats. It can either become a top tier defensive threat with its great defensive typing and moves such as Leech Seed, and Toxic. It can also serve as a potential late game cleaner with a wide variety of moves such as Flash Cannon, Flamethrower, and Air Slash alongside Autotomize to boost its speed to be able to outspeed top offensive threats like Pheromosa.

Potential Sets

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower / Toxic

This set allows Celesteela to be able to handle a variety of special attackers and be able to heal itself over time. Heavy Slam provides nice damage as Celesteela is a heavy Pokemon, giving it 120 base power. Flamethrower is there so it don't become set up fodder for Pokemon such as Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, Kartana, and Genesect. This set can also run Toxic if you look to ware down more bulkier targets like Landorus-Therian, Slowbro, and Hippowdon as they can easily tank anything Celesteela has, and two of the three Pokemon having reliable recovery as well.

Celesteela @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Autotomize
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Air Slash

With this set, Celesteela becomes a offensive threat possessing good coverage and being able to double its speed with Autotomize, allowing it to outspeed offensive threats such as Pheromosa and Mega Alakazam. Because of Beast Boost, you will also raise your Special Attack as that is the highest stat. Flamethrower allows it to hit Steel-types, while Flash Cannon and Air Slash are both reliable STABs.

Conclusion

Celesteela has potential to be a top OU threat because of its wide movepool and versatility as it can fill distinct roles on different teams. Celesteela is a good example of a Pokemon that can be great defensively, while still having a strong offensive presence. cya later skarmory

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've gone against a few Celesteelas with the first set listed. It's a truly annoying pokemon because it has the excellent typing of Skarmory but is very bulky on both sides. While not having Recover or Roost might hinder it a bit, Leech Seed is a strong tool for annoying the opposing team and most Grass-types which can take on Leech Seed can't really touch Celesteela anyway. It also isn't that passive due to a powerful Heavy Slam and some decent coverage options, particularly the fire moves.

I wonder if we'll end up seeing more Shed Shell if Magnezone/ton grow in popularity which has the potential to happen at some point.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Yeah, so I've been using this mon a lot, due to its ability to just straight up tank pretty much half of OU. Been using an odd ev spread of 252 hp/160 def/96 spdef sassy, which lets it tank a single Tapu Koko Tbolt after rocks, with the rest thrown into defense to let it tank the occasional physical hit from stuff like M-Pinsir or Excadrill, offering pretty cool role compression.

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Celesteela in Electric Terrain: 290-344 (72.8 - 86.4%) guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Celesteela: 146-174 (36.6 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Celesteela: 273-322 (68.5 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Celesteela: 118-139 (29.6 - 34.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Celesteela: 242-285 (60.8 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Essentially, Celesteela can take on a lot of meta threats very easily, and actually packs a surprising amount of power in its usually full powered heavy slam.

Some of the cooler partners I've found are pokemon such as Zygarde, which can take on Fire and Electric types for it, even setting up a dragon dance on them. In return, Celesteela is easily able to take on most fairy types (excepting Tapu Koko), and most dragon types that would normally threaten Zygarde. With its new ability essentially giving it a sitrus berry, it's a pretty cool meta threat, and the core can both function offensively and defensively for your team. Really, all the core needs is a stronger electric check, and a good water check, and then its golden. I can only recommend it.

This is almost purely selfish on Celesteela's side, but Rotom-H resists every weakness that Celesteela has, and between the two of them, you can check pretty much every fairy in the game with very little worry. Additionally, you have the benefit of utterly dismantling flying spam (if it still exists), as the two of them are very capable against enemy flying types, and really don't care about what they can do. Just watch out for Water types such as Rotom-Wash

Given how well Celesteela deals with Psychic and Flying type attackers, and how well M-Venusaur deals with Electric and Water type attackers, this pairing is fairly natural. The two again form a core that is able to easily take on, and defeat enemy fairy types, and really only needs solid support on taking out enemy Fire types.

For Celesteela I was thinking of doing the first set stat wise, but a little more attacking options

Leech seed
Heavy Slam
Earthquake
FireBlast/Seedbomb/Toxic

Mainly so you can hit a few some of the Steel types that resist you Heavy slam. Earthquake will do a lot more damage to heatran and Magnazone.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I've gone against a few Celesteelas with the first set listed. It's a truly annoying pokemon because it has the excellent typing of Skarmory but is very bulky on both sides. While not having Recover or Roost might hinder it a bit, Leech Seed is a strong tool for annoying the opposing team and most Grass-types which can take on Leech Seed can't really touch Celesteela anyway. It also isn't that passive due to a powerful Heavy Slam and some decent coverage options, particularly the fire moves.

I wonder if we'll end up seeing more Shed Shell if Magnezone/ton grow in popularity which has the potential to happen at some point.
my thoughts exactly. I thought celesteela would be rather mediocre, but it has proven to be a very annoying Pokemon. It will wall something and it will punish what you try and switch into it.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The above set (Leech Seed / Heavy Slam / EQ / Fire Blast w/ max HP max Attack) is what I've been running, and I'm amazed at how well it works. A lot of people initially dismissed this as "Skarmory without recovery", but the fact that it's able to hit Electric- and Fire- types makes a huge difference. Plus, Leech Seed has really good utility, I thought it would be kinda useless on this ste but it's really not. Defenitely an unexpected threat

I would definately put in the mixed LO beast boost automize set.

Fire blast / heavy slam / Earthquake / Automize

Allows celesteela to completely demolish offensive teams and balance teams, and beast boost just has a snowballing effect.

Even with a -Sp.atk nature, fire blast is still doing what you need it to do; kill ferro, skarm and scizor.

Even after an automize, heavy slam has 120 bp on the absolute majority of ou pokemon.

Definately celesteela's best set atm as it just sets up on so many Pokemon and has no reliable counters on offense.

p2

Banned deucer.
i tossed the idea of cb around a little earlier, with this mon being one of the heaviest ones in the game it definitely doesn't sound like a horrible abuser of spamming cb heavy slams which are gonna be ridic bp most of the time

but yea this mon is really nice, definitely didn't expect it to be good

I've been using this set which might seem peculiar but i got rather impressive success with it. After just a single beast boost and a couple flame charges, I've swept quite a few teams with ease. Try it out!

Celesteela
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flame Charge
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

I'm using a SpDef set with Leech Seed / Protect because it checks both classic Aegislash (with Shadow Ball) and it can hold through one HKJ (especially with protect) from Pheros while punishing U-turn.

Celesteela @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Earthquake

One perk is that Scarf zone struggles to take it down:
252 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 210-248 (52.7 - 62.3%)
252 Atk Choice Band Heracross High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Skarmory: 325-384 (81.6 - 96.4%)
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 114-135 (28.6 - 33.9%)

Might consider mixed defenses...

This thing can run an Assault Vest set with special moves (including Giga Drain for recovery) to increase its bulk even more. This could be useful to take out Magnet Pull Magnezone before the opposite happens.
Iìm really shocked that this thing gets Fire coverage: this is a good thing both in regular OU battles and in monotype.

Last edited:
This thing can run an Assault Vest set with special moves (including STAB Giga Drain for recovery) to increase its bulk even more. This could be useful to take out Magnet Pull Magnezone before the opposite happens.
Iìm really shocked that this thing gets Fire coverage: this is a good thing both in regular OU battles and in monotype.
No STAB Giga Drain. It's a Steel/Flying type
However, I had a defensive one that survived a thunderbolt from Magnezone, so it may be able to kill magnezone with flamethrower.
It's a shame that this thing isn't grounded, because it would love Grassy Terrain.

It's a shame that this thing isn't grounded, because it would love Grassy Terrain.
Funny you mention that, because Celesteela has Ingrain in its relearn movelist. That grounds it if I recall correctly. (Though I'm not sure if it removes the Flying-type a la Roost? We've never had a Flying-type with Ingrain before. Someone with Moon needs to test this!)

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 SpD
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
-Heavy Slam
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake / Fly / Leech Seed
-Ingrain

Lead with Tapu Bulu for its Grassy Surge for instant Grassy Terrain, wait for a good switch-in for Celesteela, pop Ingrain and go to town. Earthquake is there for general coverage against Electric- and Fire-types that try to switch into it, but if you want it to be even bulkier you can use Fly (which for some reason does not interfere with Ingrain at all) for an extra turn to recover HP, or Leech Seed to sap the opponent's HP. Just watch out for an enemy Earthquake, because with Celesteela grounded and unable to switch out it's Steel-typing isn't going to like it.

Last edited:
This thing literally OHKO's half the tier with a Choice Band.

Celesteela @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
- Heavy Slam
- Seed Bomb / Earthquake
- Earthquake / Stone Edge
- Explosion / Stone Edge

252+ Atk Choice Band Celesteela Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 262-310 (81.1 - 95.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 240-283 (85.1 - 100.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Heavy Slam OHKOs all other Tapus even on defensive spreads.

Too lazy to do more calcs but not much can switch in on this thing. It hits like a fucking truck, has defenses like Mew, a godlike defensive typing and can even explode.

Reactions: ehT
Funny you mention that, because Celesteela has Ingrain in its relearn movelist. That grounds it if I recall correctly. (Though I'm not sure if it removes the Flying-type a la Roost? We've never had a Flying-type with Ingrain before. Someone with Moon needs to test this!)

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 SpD
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
-Heavy Slam
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake / Fly / Leech Seed
-Ingrain

Lead with Tapu Bulu for its Grassy Surge for instant Grassy Terrain, wait for a good switch-in for Celesteela, pop Ingrain and go to town. Earthquake is there for general coverage against Electric- and Fire-types that try to switch into it, but if you want it to be even bulkier you can use Fly (which for some reason does not interfere with Ingrain at all) for an extra turn to recover HP, or Leech Seed to sap the opponent's HP. Just watch out for an enemy Earthquake, because with Celesteela grounded and unable to switch out it's Steel-typing isn't going to like it.
I believe you could always Baton ingrain, pretty sure it removes flying but then weak to ground.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 88 Def / 56 SpAtk / 100 SpDef
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Leech Seed

That's maximum mixed bulk available while maxing out SpAtk just one point short of Atk so Atk gets boosted after a kill, I've been using this in a Volcarona based Aurora Veil Hail team to great success, coupled with either Marowak-A or Dragalge.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Bamboocket (Celesteela) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain/Leech Seed
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Protect

This is a set that I've been using in my rain team (since Pelipper makes them way more viable), and has given some success in them. While Leech Seed may seem like the go to option for this, Giga Drain is also perfectly viable and can fight bulky water types and, when Megas are allowed, Mega Swampert. Heavy Slam is a given option here, as its the best STAB on it. Earthquake, while some may argue Flamethrower, works better in the rain and can fight some threaten that would normal counter Celesteela, like Magnezone and Salazze, especially the latter. Protect is for scouting and possibly catching stuff like Pheramosa off guard.

Overall, in my opinion of course, Celesteela will definately stick around with its awesome stats, diverse movepool, and interesting ability. It may even outdo Skarmory someday. Most definitely OU.

Easily one of th emore underrated pokemon in OU right now. It's typing and stat distribution is incredibly solid, and it's coverage and 120 BP heavy slam makes it such a good pokemon.

this thing is awesome, its so versatile.

kinda sad that it doesnt get recovery, but honestly having leech seed with that typing gets pretty close to having roost/recover as recovery options.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Celesteela is definitely one of the top pleasant surprises of the generation. The defensive version of this (slam/fthrower/seeds/protect) never seems to die, Leech Seed + Protect proving to be pretty efficient recovery for such a bulky Pokemon. Steel/Flying is such a useful defensive typing that sometimes feels wasted on Skarmory because of how Skarmory's passivity limits the types of teams it can go on, but Celesteela is not passive at all. Even without investment, Heavy Slam is really strong, and being a Steel that isn't walled by other Steels + being able to use Leech Seed without losing to Ferro is pretty fantastic. I think we all thought that the lack of recovery would be a problem, but Celesteela is really good at staying alive. It's an Aegislash and Tapu Lele counter, two things that are really hard to come by. It's also a pretty solid Latios answer and checks Lando-I, countering non-Focus Blast versions, as well as Genesect. In general, Celesteela does well against a lot of relevant threats and is difficult to actually deal with. I could foresee this being an A or even A+ Pokemon in the future with how solid it is.

Not every team has to run this support, but Celesteela pairs incredibly with Dugtrio. Some people will opt to run EQ, but I don't think it's a good option because Flamethrower hitting Ferro, OHKOing Genesect, enabling you to beat Skarm, beating other non-Flamethrower Celesteelas...it's too good of an option. When MScizor is used again, it'll also be a pretty effective answer to that when running Flamethrower. I think Dugtrio support, between Dugtrio trapping Heatran and the common Elecs, is really valuable -- and Dugtrio is really good with the buff anyways so it's not like you're losing something by running it.

The basic archetypal defensive core I've been using with this is Celesteela+Water (Toxapex/Mantine)+Grass (Venu/Ferro). Any version of this core is really hard to break down, plus hazards from Toxapex and/or Ferro can make the switches Celesteela forces and passive damage it causes with Leech Seed even more brutal to deal with.

This is a great specially defensive pokemon with the leech seed / fire blast combination. Its really all it needs to suceed and avoid getting chipped down, because it makes its leech seed so reliable.

Ive been using pretty much the identical set as others have suggested already, fully specially defensive with fire blast, leech seed, heavy slam and eq. I also like that it boosts SpD on a kill, because it means it dodges a revenge trapping by specs magnezone providing it has decent hp remaining, whilst ohkoing(?) back if it tries to thunderbolt with EQ. It takes 70% maximum from a modest specs thunderbolt at +1 spD. It usually dodges the ohko anyway, with only a 18% chance of getting ohkod, so if they switch straight into magnezone it wont kill you also.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Celesteela will definitely be used more once the meta settles down, right now, it's very underrated since everyone is focusing so much on Aegislash, Pheromosa, Greninja, etc. The fact that it has so many options is incredible, having a lot offensive and defensive moves while also having amazing base bulk and offensive stats. The unpredictability of this mon will make it a force to be reckoned with in OU since it can run a lot of viable movesets as shown in the thread, because of that I feel like it may warrant a suspect test once the meta settles down.

Celesteela @ Life Orb
EVs: 84 HP / 188 Atk / 238 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Autotomize

I've been running this offensive set in Singles alongside an Assault Vest Guzzlord and it's been fantastic. It still has respectable bulk since it has so many resistances (with Guzzlord handling what it can't), and with the Speed investment in can outrun the max-invested 130 tier after an Autonomize. Once it gets a Beast Boost up, it simply cleans house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)