Change from percentage system to pixel based system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The change has taken affect on all of the PS Servers, it indeed did help simulate a little better during battles imo. Meaning this was a feature that isn't so bad.

I HATE THESE PIXELS!!!! Why you ask?

1. 48 pixels-stupidest and most random number ever.
2. very confusing, especially with substitute, leech seed, leftovers, ect situations.
3. AND last time i checked, the ds pokemon games do not have these idiotic pixels!
4. Percent was so easy to understand.
5. EVERYBODY was used to the 100% health bar before the ENORMOUS (and stupid) change.

Now it feels good to let all of this out. Please to whoever runs Showdown, change these nasty pixels, because I don't know ANYONE who likes them BETTER. Thank you.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Thanks Smogon

Take a game that already struggles competitively because of randomness, then add yet ANOTHER layer of uncertainty to battling. Now not only do you have to worry about crits, damage rolls, and general hax, you have to worry about if the amount of pixels your opponent took is an accurate representation of the damage you actually did.

On top of that, pixels on YOUR side is absolutely retarded. ANYONE can fucking pull out a calculator and calculate the percent of HP that last hit did, and how much percent HP you have left. There is literally no excuse for putting pixels on your side. That is a flat oversight that came along from not thinking due to being blind to trying to perfectly simulate game mechanics.

I understand it is to better mimic in game mechanics that might effect an decision of a move and even possibly the outcome of a match, but for obvious convenient reasons, at least use the percentage DISPLAY and not mechanics, which means health is always displayed as multiple percentages of 1/48 = 2.0833..%, or even better displayed like this : 2.0833x%/100%(health percentage) / x/48(pixels). I don't see why this solution isn't obvious.

Most people on the server are extremely opposed to this implementation. The pixel-based hp bar looks quite awkward since the majority of us are already so accustomed to the old percentage bar. I really hope that we can change back to our old system! If that is not possible, I guess everyone will just have to slowly adapt to this new style. :C

Most people on the server are extremely opposed to this implementation. The pixel-based hp bar looks quite awkward since the majority of us are already so accustomed to the old percentage bar. I really hope that we can change back to our old system! If that is not possible, I guess everyone will just have to slowly adapt to this new style. :C
I sure hope you're right and this become reversable, but assuming that won't happen, I have some doubts.

I'm not used to how the Pixel system work in-game, so I have a question. How is damage percentage gonna work now? A simple example: 10% damage will get rounded to 5 or will it be 4.8? And if it does end up rounded to 5, is that rounding gonna come into account on the next rounding? like after 4.8 gets rounded five times it'll become 4, because of the 0.2*5, or will it still be 5? Or will it round it to 4 after the damage comes into account three times? I'm using the easiest percentage I could imagine to explain my doubt the best way I can, but I'm somewhat confused on variable percentage calculations now. Maybe it's just me, but still... =S

Also, any plans on changing item descriptions to match the new system if it comes to stay? What about the calculator? It seems unlikely to happen and it's not like the end of the world, but it would make things a bit easier to get used to, in my humble opinion...

Cheers.

Personally, I'm indifferent to this change. It is a little jarring at first (and awkward to read "lost xx/48 pixels of health") but I could see this helping my wifi/in-game battling slightly. While I dislike the change, it could be because it's change and some people (myself included) have a hard time adapting.

I prefer the old display, but I'll still be playing PS regardless of whether they revert or not. Just my two cents.

I'm fine witht he mechanics being like the games, but the DISPLAY really needs to stay a s a percentage, or as an accurate number of HP at the very least. Without that, it gets very confusing tyrign to understand how much damage you are actually doing / taking.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Guys:

- The change to pixels was done based on a misunderstanding.

- We're displaying percentages again now.

- Please calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)