Rejected - Inactive Changing dynamax outline

I noticed that in the Gen 8 games when a mon uses Dynamax they have this purple-ish outline while in PS! they don't have that. For example
Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 8.59.18 PM.png
1200px-SwSh_Prerelease_Dynamax_Pikachu.png

As you can see the poltergeist in the first picture does not have a purple outline and is like a regular pokemon but bigger while the pokemon in the Gen 8 game has a purple outline. I think the outline makes it look more like a Dynamax mon than when it doesn't have an outline. Sometimes it could be confusing because one mon might be really small so you can't tell the difference between Dyna and non-dyna. Hope this gets fixed.

I know you can change the opacity of sprites on the fly. Is it possible to put a dark red tint over them, and then also have a bright red inner glow around the edges?

I can imagine how to do this in Photoshop, but obviously code is very different from Photoshop.

I mean can't you just like code the whole sprites to change the tint to red or something. I mean I am not exactly good at coding and stuff but can't you do something like that. Or would you have to make a totaly new sprite for that?

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I dug around in this for a couple hours, and I couldn't find a way of doing this in CSS, which is what you would need done here. To avoid having to send double the amount of sprite data, you would realistically want to just add the glowing border around the gif itself. But since sprites are transparent, this couldn't be done without the border going around the entire dimensions of the image. The best you could do would be something like:
1613236473187.png

which is of course not what we're looking for here. It can easily be done in something like Photoshop of course, but I don't think it's possible to do natively in the browser with CSS, which means it'd be like HoeenHero says with needing duplicate copies of every sprite while Dynamaxed for the glow. Since that would increase load time significantly, I doubt it'd be something we'd do :(

Not sure if this is how it works but what if you were to duplicate the pokemon and only make an outline. So instead of having the whole pokemon you would only have a pink outline or smth. So like for example you would make a duplicate of aiegslash but you would only make the sprite an outline which is pink. Do you understand what I am saying?

Not sure if this is how it works but what if you were to duplicate the pokemon and only make an outline. So instead of having the whole pokemon you would only have a pink outline or smth. So like for example you would make a duplicate of aiegslash but you would only make the sprite an outline which is pink. Do you understand what I am saying?
You mean like have a slightly bigger all-pink version of the sprite behind the main sprite?

Even more important than this colored outline during the Dynamax, there is a systematic element during the phenomenon: that of the appearance of three red clouds which levitate on a certain part of any pokemon:
téléchargement.jpg
10_16_gpikachu_1.jpg
Sprite_025_Gigamax_chromatique_EB.png

However, this element wasn't kept in the Gigantamax sprites imported here:
pikachu-gmax.gif
If even this component hasn't been preserved for only 32 special pokemons, I let you imagine the headache for all the rest (it's a bit the same debate as the colored outline)

I was going to talk about that but I wanted to do one problem at a time. Also I am pretty sure that happens for all dyna. Also did you take that g-max animation from pokemon showdown?
images.jpg

Even more important than this colored outline during the Dynamax, there is a systematic element during the phenomenon: that of the appearance of three red clouds which levitate on a certain part of any pokemon:
View attachment 315507View attachment 315510View attachment 315509
However, this element wasn't kept in the Gigantamax sprites imported here:
If even this component hasn't been preserved for only 32 special pokemons, I let you imagine the headache for all the rest (it's a bit the same debate as the colored outline)
I dunno if you've seen Mega Steelix's sprite, but slowly rotating stuff just does not gel with Showdown. You need an obscene amount of frames to make it loop smoothly.

Actually, that is always how the steelix mega evolution looks. It's not PS! it;s just the megs steelix sprite
That's the sprite on Showdown. Mega Steelix doesn't have a sprite in the actual games. It has a model. A model where the spinning rocks and Mega Steelix itself loop smoothly. Showdown gets its sprites from screen caps of these models (see also: the blue part of Pheromosa's sprite, which is actually the sun/moon menu background and not actually part of Pheromosa).

The reason Mega Steelix doesn't loop properly on Showdown is because the actual model takes way too long to loop. I forget exactly how long it would need to be for it to loop properly, but it would result in a very significantly larger file size.

This thread has been thrown wildly off the rails, so let's shift the focus back to the potential implementation of a Dynamax visual effect.

We. Didn't. Rip. The. Sprites. They were ripped by pkparaiso, a Spanish Pokémon fansite. They're the ones who ripped the XY and USUM models too. Sometimes we clean up the sprites before implementing them on Showdown, and sometimes users make their own renders that we implement in place of the official ones, but we don't rip the sprites ourselves.

And by "we", I mean the PS! staff lol

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Community Leader
wdym by "we didn't rip out sprites"? I have no idea what that means.
Ripping out in this case means "taking the models out" of the games and making them a gif, png or whatever image format is needed.
I believe what Kris, with Mega-Pokebattlerz's clarification, means is that G-max models have been ripped out the games while G-maxed, giving them the glow that you want. Dynamaxed Pokémon models, on the other hand, have not been ripped out from the games, they just change the size of the normal models. Thats why they dont have the glow. The tools that allow to make big the normal sprites are not enough to also add the glow, according to Dawob's post. So the only other way would be making new models for each Dynamaxed mon, which is unviable because it will add too much load time for the sim.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)