Pokémon Charizard

Which one these MEvos will be OU in your opinion?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens if two pokemon on the opponents team are Goodra and Togekiss? You need to be able to kill Goodra with Dragon STAB, but if you use Outrage, Togekiss can come in, and abuse the free turns you give it. Dragon Claw is usually better for sweeping purposes.
well, it depends.

Discovered something interesting. Solar Power Charizard hits harder than Y-Zard assuming sun active for both.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow in Sun: 1440-1696 (375 - 441.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow in Sun: 1636-1932 (426 - 503.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Trying to advice using regular Charizard? Obviously no, it would require excessive amount of support, unlike Mega Charizard Y which is rather indipendent outside of a spinner. But is a nice idea to use Solar Power as the base ability of your Mega Charizard Y and megaevolve it later in the case sun is already in play, such as from opponent Charizards. Blaze has no benefit after all.
I dislike it because of the health loss you get the turn you switch in. Since my sun team relies heavily on baiting earthquake to obtain free switches, I often have to take what my opponent gives me, sometimes switching a turn before sun ends and taking unnecessary damage. If you intend to take opponents' sun, then sure, but most of the time Solar Power will give even less than blaze.

well, it depends.
On what? His example goes to pretty much any dragon/fairy pair (a not too uncommon team up). Say you need to KO a Garchomp, and there's an Azumarill still alive. Suddenly, you're between a rock and a hard place as you can decide to let Garchomp kill Chari, or let Azumarill get a free turn to set up belly drum, and almost definitely kill you immediately after. Now, that's a little unfair, because that would require you to put Chari out there when Azumarill's still alive, which nobody should ever do unless you run thunder punch or something, but still. . .

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Discovered something interesting. Solar Power Charizard hits harder than Y-Zard assuming sun active for both.
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow in Sun: 1440-1696 (375 - 441.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow in Sun: 1636-1932 (426 - 503.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Trying to advice using regular Charizard? Obviously no, it would require excessive amount of support, unlike Mega Charizard Y which is rather indipendent outside of a spinner. But is a nice idea to use Solar Power as the base ability of your Mega Charizard Y and megaevolve it later in the case sun is already in play, such as from opponent Charizards. Blaze has no benefit after all.
Well yeah, I thought that was a given. Solar Power Choice Specs Charizard is a fucking nuke, but it requires too much support sadly.

I used Charizard as a scarf special sweeper in BW/B2W2 and he was surprisingly effective with sun support.

One reason why y zards fire blast powe didn't faze me come XY was because it was comparable to solar power zard's fire blast.

However, the days of solar power zard are definitely over. It would require ninetales support and no matter what other support ninetales could provide its still an utter waste of a team slot if all you're running it for is solar power.

Plus with priority everywhere the last thing you want to do is lose 1/8 of your HP every turn (which I think was too steep a pay off)

Also, anybody else notice how freaking great quagsire is as a partner for Charizard? More y zard than x but man that dude covers him so well.

Interestingly, I did try to make a sun team designed around ridiculous power with Specs SP Charizard, Specs Flash Fire Chandelure, and Banded SF Darmanitan. All with Sun up and hopefully Sticky Web down.

However, it didn't work too well in OU.

Interestingly, I did try to make a sun team designed around ridiculous power with Specs SP Charizard, Specs Flash Fire Chandelure, and Banded SF Darmanitan. All with Sun up and hopefully Sticky Web down.

However, it didn't work too well in OU.
no offense but it was bound to fail...

I recently saw what must have been a charzard raised to be a x where some one gave it a y mega stone I was really surprised when a charzard y started dragon dancing it gave the guy a free turn of set up because I had to switch back into a physical wall

So I recently tried something on the suspect ladder with bulky Charizard Y. Charizard Y's main defensive role is as a Sun setter, so it's defensive set is along these lines:

Charizardite Y
252HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Spd
Timid
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Roost
-Roar
-Tailwind/Will-o-Wisp

Zard Y only has 2 weaknesses, and one of them is mitigated with Roost, so a defensive set isn't terrible.

Which Zard X set do you guys think is the best. I believe that the Dragon Dance set is still the most potent but it has taken a hit in usage recently. The will-O-wisp set is still good but I wonder why its being considered better than the DD set.

So I recently tried something on the suspect ladder with bulky Charizard Y. Charizard Y's main defensive role is as a Sun setter, so it's defensive set is along these lines:

Charizardite Y
252HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Spd
Timid
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Roost
-Roar
-Tailwind/Will-o-Wisp

Zard Y only has 2 weaknesses, and one of them is mitigated with Roost, so a defensive set isn't terrible.
In the Sun, He has 2 weaknesses. While he roosts (in the sun) he still has 2 weaknesses (rock and ground, though rock hits A LOT less harder).

In the Sun, He has 2 weaknesses. While he roosts (in the sun) he still has 2 weaknesses (rock and ground, though rock hits A LOT less harder).
True, but who is going to Roost into an Earthquake? Only on rare occasion will you run into an unexpected EQ with Zard Y. I'd say Roost would much more commonly mitigate the Electric weakness.

I have a question, I have been using the bulky tank charizard x that pokeaim posted on his YouTube channel, for those not familiar with it this is the build -
Charizard @ charizardite x
Blaze -> tough claws
Adamant
248 HP, 32 Atk, 188 Sdef, 40 spe
Dragon claw
Earthquake
Will o wisp
Roost

I have been using it and it is great, but I came across this other set with the same moves but different evs/nature in this thread -
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/charizard-x-2-3.3495299/
The build is -
Charizard @ charizardite x
Blaze -> tough claws
Careful
248 HP, 148 sdef, 112 spe
Dragon claw
Earthquake
Will o wisp
Roost

My question is what are the advantages of either set over the other and is either better overall?

Well yeah, I thought that was a given. Solar Power Choice Specs Charizard is a fucking nuke, but it requires too much support sadly.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey in Sun: 451-532 (63.1 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
It doesn't even need the Stealth Rock to ensure a 2HKO, and then Chansey:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 375-442 (53.2 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Holy crap, this thing hits super hard. Too bad it is very hard to set up :[ And also, it shreds through resisted hits:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-W in Sun: 276-326 (90.7 - 107.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey in Sun: 451-532 (63.1 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
It doesn't even need the Stealth Rock to ensure a 2HKO, and then Chansey:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 375-442 (53.2 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Holy crap, this thing hits super hard. Too bad it is very hard to set up :[ And also, it shreds through resisted hits:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Rotom-W in Sun: 276-326 (90.7 - 107.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Outside of Skill Swap and switching Terrakion into Beat Up, it's the 2nd strongest attack in the game that doesn't require set up after Flash Fire Specs Chandelure in the Sun.

Poor salamence.. I hear its UU now cause of charizard X. Well anyways, bout that charizard X. I found a set thats been working quite well for me.

Substitute
Swords dance
Dragon claw
Fire punch

EV's 252 Attk/252 spd Jolly nature

Switch in on something that is scarred by charizard and as they switch, mega evolve and use swords dance. (Not dragon dance cause it takes longer to set up) the pokemon they send out is almost always a pokemon gonna be a pokemon thats hoping to tank a flare blitz or outrage and try to status you. Then set up a sub and use swords dance until they break the sub. Then go to town with fire punch and dragon claw. Fire punch over flare blitz cause the recoil you get is nasty and quickly ends your sweep. Stealth rock and spinner support is needed to get rid of rocks and stealth rock to break focus sashes and sturdy. Azumairl wreak this set but pair charizard up with a pokemon that gets rid of them.

Poor salamence.. I hear its UU now cause of charizard X. Well anyways, bout that charizard X. I found a set thats been working quite well for me.

Substitute
Swords dance
Dragon claw
Fire punch

EV's 252 Attk/252 spd Jolly nature

Switch in on something that is scarred by charizard and as they switch, mega evolve and use swords dance. (Not dragon dance cause it takes longer to set up) the pokemon they send out is almost always a pokemon gonna be a pokemon thats hoping to tank a flare blitz or outrage and try to status you. Then set up a sub and use swords dance until they break the sub. Then go to town with fire punch and dragon claw. Fire punch over flare blitz cause the recoil you get is nasty and quickly ends your sweep. Stealth rock and spinner support is needed to get rid of rocks and stealth rock to break focus sashes and sturdy. Azumairl wreak this set but pair charizard up with a pokemon that gets rid of them.
I don't know, I still like the speed boost from Dragon Dance that lets me out speed most non-scarf pokes and a lot of scarfed pokes. And yeah I agree, poor Salamence. Charizard X destroyed its reign.

Swords Dance is an ok option, it does very well against slower teams actually, like:
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 327-385 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
It can OHKO one of the best Physical walls in the game, with a neutral nature. And how does Dragon Dance take too long? It takes just as long to set up two Dragon Dances as a Substitute + Swords Dance, and most of the time you won't have the Substitute effect, as they'll bring in a check / counter and will break your sub, so.

I don't get why people choose X over Y. Y obviously has the most power
after a DD Charizard X becomes near unstoppable only fearing scarfed pokemon like Garchomp, can also run a defensive set with will o wisp and roost and watch as it's opponents can do nothing to it. Zard Y has immediate power with that incredible 159 Base Sp. Atk under the sun while Zard X has power to go long term with his defensive sets or just sweep with his DD set. Both are great pokemon and I believe they both deserve their S ranking but the both serve hugely different roles.

- Better offensive typing (almost no poke resists fire+dragon).
- Better defensive typing (doesn't take that much damage from stealth rock, and has no double weakness).
- Its ability's offensive boost lasts forever, while Y is forced to switch out after the sun ends.
- Ability to set up and surpass Y's power with Dragon Dance, which also lasts forever as long as it doesn't have to switch.
- Looks like a badass.

- Better offensive typing (almost no poke resists fire+dragon).
while Y is forced to switch out after the sun ends.

Not necessarily. I've won games by just spamming Fire blast/Focus Blast when Zard Y was my only pokemon left. (had to kill Mega Tyranitar, Conkelldur, Gliscor and Heatran) and my sun ran out when I got to Conkelldur. Zard Y definitely appreciates the sun but saying he needs it 100% of the time is BS.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not necessarily. I've won games by just spamming Fire blast/Focus Blast when Zard Y was my only pokemon left. (had to kill Mega Tyranitar, Conkelldur, Gliscor and Heatran) and my sun ran out when I got to Conkelldur. Zard Y definitely appreciates the sun but saying he needs it 100% of the time is BS.
The sun is what makes ZardY so threatening. So yes, he does need it quite a lot.

Because after a DD, literally the only Pokemon that can stop it are phys ef Hippowdon, phys def Slowbro, and maybe bulky Lando-T assuming it has no prior damage.

And they're all 2HKO'd regardless at +1.

The sun is what makes ZardY so threatening. So yes, he does need it quite a lot.

Because after a DD, literally the only Pokemon that can stop it are phys ef Hippowdon, phys def Slowbro, and maybe bulky Lando-T assuming it has no prior damage.

And they're all 2HKO'd regardless at +1.
and scarfchomp ofcource

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)