Chatting and IM Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adium (Mac, Free)
The best multi-protocol IM client for Mac I've come across. -Sanders

Pidgin (Windows/Linux, open source)
Formerly known as GAIM (until America Online got uppity and told them to change it). A small, free multi-protocol IM client. Keeps all your GAIM settings (on windows anyway) if you install it while GAIM is installed, which I thought was nice. Universal IM client like Trillian. -Vagabond Aeon

mIRC (Windows, Free/Pay)
Everyone's favourite for IRC. Easy to use and has some advance features. With practice you will get used to using it easily and efficiently. - CrabNebula

XChat (Multiplatform, Free)
Sweet and simple. If you dislike mIRC for some reason, use this. XChat has a simple interface and fairly customizable. - CrabNebula

Trillian (Windows, Free/Pay) (Cost: $30)
Universal IM client, supports AIM, YIM, MSN, IRC, ICQ. Pro version also contains support for Jabber. - Kikuichimonji

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I really doubt Chatzilla is more secure than mIRC, mIRC doesn't exactly have a whole host of security vunerabilities...

DCC SEND exploit still works on some networks or maybe they were using old versions of mIRC. I don't know if it has been fixed in mIRC.

heh okay. I saw it being exploited myself so I thought maybe it wasn't fixed. Looks like they were using an old version.

It could be noted or removed from notes that you don't need deadaim to log, AIM 6 has log options now.

Meebo (Browser-based, Free)
Browser based IM service. Any browser with AJAX support should be able to run it. Pretty decent if you're stuck at some place that doesn't have IM clients and you don't want to spend time downloading every client you need. Support for AIM, Yahoo, MSN and google talk.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Meebo (Browser-based, Free)
Browser based IM service. Any browser with AJAX support should be able to run it. Pretty decent if you're stuck at some place that doesn't have IM clients and you don't want to spend time downloading every client you need. Support for AIM, Yahoo, MSN and google talk.
That thing is so useful

anyone got any suggestions for stuff for people like me who don't like to update from windows 98/SE

i reccomend all of you to msn instant messanger, aol aim or yahoo instant messenger. they have a lot of multi features and have multi person chat.

XChat (Multiplatform, Free)
The XChat binaries for Windows are an exception, which are only free (as in beer) for the first 30 days (and then, pay $19,99). Sure, you can still get the source and try to compile it yourself if you know how to - only the precompiled Windows binaries need to be paid for.

Just something I thought that needed to be pointed out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)