Pokémon Chi-Yu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chi-Yu.png

Chi-Yu

Base Stats
: 55/80/80/135/125/100 (BST 570)

Abilities: Beads of Ruin ( The Sp. Def stat of all other active Pokemon is reduced by 25%.)

Notable Moves:
Overheat
Fire Blast
Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Flame Charge
Nasty Plot
Memento
Substitute
Tera Blast

Ember
Spite
Mean Look
Flame Wheel
Payback
Will-O-Wisp
Flame Charge
Incinerate
Confuse Ray
Nasty Plot
Lava Plume
Ruination
Bounce
Swagger
Inferno
Memento
Overheat

TM Moves: Take Down, Scary Face, Protect, Confuse Ray, Fire Spin, Facade, Hex, Snarl, Flame Charge, Endure, Sunny Day, Zen Headbutt, Sleep Talk, Reflect, Light Screen, Taunt, Dark Pulse, Substitute, Will-O-Wisp, Crunch, Heatwave, Psychic, Flamethrower, Nasty Plot, Fire Blast, Giga Impact, Overheat, Hyper Beam, Flare Blitz, Tera Blast

Pros:
Extremely powerful when backed up by it's ability and boosting items/moves (Choice Specs, Nasty Plot)
Good Offensive Type Combination
Respectable Speed Tier for a strong wall breaker
Scarf sets being able to surprise and clean past the offensive metagame

Cons:
Presense of a Stealth Rock weakness
Frailness on the physical side
Not a great defensive type combination
Having a more difficult time keeping up with hyper offensive teams if it is using specs and scarf sets
Shallow Coverage

Terastallize Potential:
Using different Tera Types in order to lure pokemon with Tera Blast (example: using Grass Tera to lure bulky waters)
Using Fire Tera to hit even stronger with it's fire stab
Using Ghost Tera to be safe against strong fighting attacks

Potential sets:

Chi-Yu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Tera Type: Grass / Ghost / Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Tera Blast
- Memento / Overheat

This set is used in order to prey hyper offensive teams which rely on it being slow in order to revenge kill it, but in this case it would be the revenge killer. Modest can be used for extra power while timid can be used to outspeed more threats.

Chi-Yu @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Grass / Ghost / Fire
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Tera Blast
- Overheat

Similar to the scarf set, but it preys on more Bulky Offensive Builds in which it has multiple opportunities to switch in and fire off it's attacks.

Chi-Yu @ Heavy-Duty-Boots / Leftovers
Tera Type: Ghost / Fire
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute / Flame Charge

This set may be usable on more hyper offensive teams which provide it with the proper conditions to preform a sweep. Substitute can be used as a way to minimize the prediction necessary to throw off strong moves and guarantee free set up if you get one off, but Flame Charge will provide it with an opportunity to sweep past opposing teams as a whole.

Overall:

Chi-Yu may be somewhat of a one trick pony as it has a shallow coverage, but it's strength is immense and should not be underestimated. It's type combination makes it difficult to switch into alongside the immense strength that it receives from it's good special attack stat and it's ability. It can both use Scarf to blitz past offensive teams and Specs/Nasty Plot to increase it's strength further into bulkier teams, so it isn't truly a one trick pony all the time.

All in all Chi-Yu is a strong Pokemon which is being overshadowed by all the other ridiculous Pokemon in the metagame right now, but it should not be underestimated as an unprepared team may fall victim to it, as it is able to beat out many strong Pokemon that are currently popular in the early metagame.

What are your thoughts on the new truly fire fish Chi-Yu?

Observe as I present the greatest sun wallbreaker known to man;
If the United States government had one of these during their conquest of Japan, they would've retired The Manhattan Project -- dubbing it a failure as this right here is the most potent nuke man has ever created.

Chi-Yu @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Lava Plume
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
chiyu.png

Under sun this stupid fish can 2HKO Blissey, it can ward off switches to the bulkiest resists known to man and it can and will delete anything held responsible for the crime of being under 100 base speed.

Throw in a Torkoal for sun support, add a scarf Fire Tauros for speed control and put a Dragon Dance Roaring Moon Salamence in for good measure in the late game.

Yeah agreeing with above post. There's a really underexplored subset of offensive teams that are basically "Torkoal enabled protosynthesis spam" that this stupid fish cleans up on. For a stall team, this mon is currently unstoppable and I'm pretty sure until the introduction of heatran you can more or less just forfeit on preview. Very confused on how the hell you're supposed to tank this thing besides pray for divine intervention.

Well, there's actually two three answers (calculated at modest because... Realistically, that's how I have to expect to wall this thing):

252+ SpA Choice Specs Fire Tera Type Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garganacl in Sun: 100-118 (48.3 - 57%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Baxcalibur: 93-109 (41.8 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(Thermal Exchange is preventing Fire moves)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Fire Tera Type Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 58-69 (32.9 - 39.2%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO

I've checked other options like Alomomola, (Daschbun), Azumarill, Drednaw, and Spdef Hippowdon. Even with the last one changing the weather, it still gets cleaned up in two hits easily:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Fire Tera Type Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 154-182 (71.6 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you want to commit your own terrestialize, you CAN use Blissey. Water Terrestialize Blissey is hyper specific and ruins your ability to Fight terrestialize Avalugg for example, but keeping it as an option isn't the worst idea. Issue is, a nasty plot sub set will still beat you, unless you have Seismic Toss. As of right now, this is my current answer:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Fire Tera Type Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Water Tera Type Blissey in Sun: 100-118 (27.6 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Last edited:
ov
Yeah agreeing with above post. There's a really underexplored subset of offensive teams that are basically "Torkoal enabled protosynthesis spam" that this stupid fish cleans up on. For a stall team, this mon is currently unstoppable and I'm pretty sure until the introduction of heatran you can more or less just forfeit on preview. Very confused on how the hell you're supposed to tank this thing besides pray for divine intervention.

Well, there's actually two three answers (calculated at modest because... Realistically, that's how I have to expect to wall this thing):

252+ SpA Choice Specs Fire Tera Type Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Garganacl in Sun: 100-118 (48.3 - 57%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Baxcalibur: 93-109 (41.8 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(Thermal Exchange is preventing Fire moves)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Fire Tera Type Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 58-69 (32.9 - 39.2%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO

I've checked other options like Alomomola, (Daschbun), Azumarill, Drednaw, and Spdef Hippowdon. Even with the last one changing the weather, it still gets cleaned up in two hits easily:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Fire Tera Type Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 154-182 (71.6 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you want to commit your own terrestialize, you CAN use Blissey. Water Terrestialize Blissey is hyper specific and ruins your ability to Fight terrestialize Avalugg for example, but keeping it as an option isn't the worst idea. Issue is, a nasty plot sub set will still beat you, unless you have Seismic Toss. As of right now, this is my current answer:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Fire Tera Type Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Water Tera Type Blissey in Sun: 100-118 (27.6 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
overheat has a 50% chance to ohko hippo (with timid terra and 100% with modest terra) under sun

I've been playing around a bit with Chi-Yu on cartridge and want to propose something a little bit different to the table: a bulkier variant.

Chi-Yu @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers
Tera Type: Water / Fairy / Flying
EVs: 188 HP / 68 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp / Tera Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower

While lava plume and psychic are powerful in their own right, I simply don't believe that Chi-Yu needs to be run on sun, with choice specs, or even nasty plot. While Chi-Yu has less than stellar defenses, it cannot be denied that the support move pool it contains cannot be overlooked. I think what's really important here is to experiment with what our lovable fish can do because of its' reliable special bulk. In a lot of ways, its durability on the special side can be compared to the rotom forms (55 HP, 120 SpD vs 50 HP, 107 SpD), just with a more offensively oriented ability and higher speed stat.

If you have good hazard control, you can actually run Utility Umbrella over HDB on Blissey if you are having trouble with Chi-Yu.

Straight up unit in sun, reminds me of Blacephalon or Mega Charizard in the previous gens but even more powerful. Very few mon can actually avoid being OHKOEd or 2kOed on the switch.

Tyrannitar is probably its best counter but has to be wary of being burned

Yeah I realized that like 2 days ago. So no it doesn't stop Chi Yu whatsoever.

Which basically means TTar, Blissey, or you run a bunch of checks that can tank Chi Yu situationally (so Sylveon + Garganacl). Assault vest huge power azumarill popped up as a potential answer too.

Dead by Daylight

was a long and dark December
is a Pre-Contributor
Yeah I realized that like 2 days ago. So no it doesn't stop Chi Yu whatsoever.

Which basically means TTar, Blissey, or you run a bunch of checks that can tank Chi Yu situationally (so Sylveon + Garganacl). Assault vest huge power azumarill popped up as a potential answer too.
And it’s not like these aren’t immune to exploitation: stuff like Iron Valiant uses T-Tar (lacking Heavy Slam) and Blissey as a setup opportunity, while adding a bunch of checks compromises your team against a ton of other powerful threats. AV Azumarill is actually decent, although even that can be taken advantage of. Chi-Yu is a big part in why defensive balance and stall are barely seen in this meta.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
theorymonned a pair of sets, no idea how good these are

Chi-Yu @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Overheat/Fire Blast
- Substitute/Taunt/Dark Pulse
Pult and Skele probably do it better but this seems interesting. Tera Ghost is a good mixup defensively as well.
Chi-Yu @ Life Orb
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Tera Blast
- Fire Blast/Overheat
- Dark Pulse
Kills Dondozo, Garganacl, probably some other stuff, at the cost of your Tera.

So what exactly is Stall's definitive answer to this thing? I genuinely don't think I can name a single defensive check to Chi-Yu.
Taking Terastal + Terablast into account, nothing is a definite answer, same happens with many Mons. This is what Terastal is for.

Without Terastal, Tyranitar is a full counter. Blobs beat sets without Taunt. Sdef Ting-Lu, Dondozo and Clodsire are valid, the former 2 need Restalk though.
Hydreigon and Roaring Moon resist both Stabs, but won't fit in many Stalls. Same for Restalk Azumarill.
Garganacl, Glimmora and AV Sdef Klawf could work, but only with sand support from Hippo, at which point you are better picking Tyranitar.

Observe as I present the greatest sun wallbreaker known to man;
If the United States government had one of these during their conquest of Japan, they would've retired The Manhattan Project -- dubbing it a failure as this right here is the most potent nuke man has ever created.

Chi-Yu @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Fire
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Lava Plume
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
View attachment 466783

Under sun this stupid fish can 2HKO Blissey, it can ward off switches to the bulkiest resists known to man and it can and will delete anything held responsible for the crime of being under 100 base speed.

Throw in a Torkoal for sun support, add a scarf Fire Tauros for speed control and put a Dragon Dance Roaring Moon Salamence in for good measure in the late game.
good ideas but what sets should i run for tauros and roaring moon

This thing feels like a super scarf Tapu Lele which is the most surprising aspect.

I assume other sets are better etc. But I love Scarf on it.

I've been running this standard specs set:
Chi-Yu @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Dark
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic

However, I haven't actually used psychic a single time, there's almost no situation I'd rather use it instead of one of it's STABs. Chi-Yu has almost no other coverage if you don't use a Tera type. So if you want to run STAB tera, why not just run Sleep Talk in that last slot? It will rarely ever come up, but you could potentially take a spore from Amoongus and then use an unexpected attack back. It's super niche but again, I have never actually used psychic so might as well have a back up spore absorber mon in a pinch.

I've been running this standard specs set:
Chi-Yu @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Dark
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic

However, I haven't actually used psychic a single time, there's almost no situation I'd rather use it instead of one of it's STABs. Chi-Yu has almost no other coverage if you don't use a Tera type. So if you want to run STAB tera, why not just run Sleep Talk in that last slot? It will rarely ever come up, but you could potentially take a spore from Amoongus and then use an unexpected attack back. It's super niche but again, I have never actually used psychic so might as well have a back up spore absorber mon in a pinch.
In all honesty, I’d be extremely hesitant to click Sleep Talk on a Pokémon with choice specs. If you’re not using psychic, I’d suggest switching the fourth move to taunt / will-o-wisp / tera blast (with fairy being your best bet since not a single Pokémon resists all 3 iirc)

In all honesty, I’d be extremely hesitant to click Sleep Talk on a Pokémon with choice specs. If you’re not using psychic, I’d suggest switching the fourth move to taunt / will-o-wisp / tera blast (with fairy being your best bet since not a single Pokémon resists all 3 iirc)
wisp def best for catching ttars trying to switch in on you

R8

Leads Natdex Other Tiers, not rly doing ndou stuff
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Contributor Alumnus
National Dex Leader
So what exactly is Stall's definitive answer to this thing? I genuinely don't think I can name a single defensive check to Chi-Yu.
spdef pex + ttar should be enough no? probably more reliable than trying to check it with only one slot

100 base speed is such a precarious speed tier. Modest vs Timid means getting outsped by 252 Maushold/Pawmot/Garchomp/SandyShocks/IronTreads and 252+ Lokix/Annihilape/GreatTusk. There are more pokemon, but I only picked out the ones that would immediately threaten to OHKO Chi-Yu. Granted, several of these pokemon won't typically be running max speed, but a lot of them are OU staples, and make running Modest much riskier.

imo, Timid should be the default set unless you really have a specific damage threshold you need to hit.

100 base speed is such a precarious speed tier. Modest vs Timid means getting outsped by 252 Maushold/Pawmot/Garchomp/SandyShocks/IronTreads and 252+ Lokix/Annihilape/GreatTusk. There are more pokemon, but I only picked out the ones that would immediately threaten to OHKO Chi-Yu. Granted, several of these pokemon won't typically be running max speed, but a lot of them are OU staples, and make running Modest much riskier.

imo, Timid should be the default set unless you really have a specific damage threshold you need to hit.
I agree, 90%+ of the time, Timid is definitely better as Chi-Yu really can't afford to take hit. It also has quite a few weaknesses and vulnerable to hazards. Great Tusk and Annilape are the 2 most significant threats to outspeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)