move 3: Earthquake / Knock Off / Play Rough
move 4: Rapid Spin / Knock Off / Play Rough
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band
ability: Protosynthesis
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
tera type: Ground / Fighting

[SET COMMENTS]

• Tera Ground can turn Headlong Rush into a devastating STAB attack that can break through bulky targets Great Tusk normally wouldn’t, such as Scream Tail and Dondozo.
  • Tera Fighting lets Great Tusk crush Corviknight with Close Combat, which severely hurts defensive structures reliant on it. This opens up powerful teammates like Flutter Mane and Iron Bundle.
  • Earthquake makes Great Tusk harder to revenge kill than Headlong Rush does, as it doesn’t drop its defenses.
  • Rapid Spin works well for teams weak to entry hazards. It's a great way to support powerful threats weak to Stealth Rock, like Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, and Iron Bundle.
  • Knock Off provides fantastic item-removing support, and it especially cripples walls reliant on Leftovers like Scream Tail and Dondozo, allowing its team to more easily break past them.
  • Play Rough can be used to OHKO Koraidon without Terastallizing, as well as beating opposing Great Tusk. However, it has very little practical use outside of this.
  • Choice Scarf Great Tusk functions most effectively as a wallbreaker in the early- and mid-game, suited best for offensive structures that struggle with physical walls like the aforementioned Scream Tail and Dondozo. When building teams, remember Great Tusk must use Terastallization to actually break through said walls, so it may be hard for teammates to Terastallize.
  • Choice Band Great Tusk only functions well on Sticky Web teams, where the stronger and slower set appreciates Sticky Web dropping foes' Speed.
  • Koraidon is a great partner, setting up sun and activating Protosynthesis for Great Tusk. It further resists Water- and Grass-type moves aimed at Great Tusk, weakening the former. Koraidon also effectively baits in Skeledirge, which Great Tusk reliably threatens.
  • Miraidon is also a great partner, as it can threaten Flying-types, like Corviknight and the rarer Pelipper and Dragonite. This helps to make Great Tusk’s Headlong Rush much more spammable.
  • Gholdengo is also a good partner for Great Tusk, as it resists Ice-, Fairy-, and Grass-type moves aimed at Great Tusk, and it can threaten to KO Ice- and Fairy-types with super effective STAB Make It Rain. In addition, Gholdengo also blocks all hazard removal, helping to wear down walls for Great Tusk's team to eventually break through.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[OreoSpeedruns, 597293]]
- Quality checked by: [[ox04, 507268], [Fc, 511624]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Adeleine, 517429]]

Last edited by a moderator:
EQ first slash on the 3rd move slot. It allows you to freely spam your ground STAB while remaining as hard to revenge kill as before since you aren't lowering your defenses. Another thing is that tera Fighting is also a viable option (2nd slash) because it crushes Corviknight reliant defensive cores which opens up your common teammates Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane. It is especially good because all Ghost and Poison types have to think twice before switching in thanks to your Ground STAB threatening to OHKO in most cases. Tera Fairy's most consistent quality is in helping make moves neutral to you, which tera Ground already does well while also giving you a power boost on your best STAB (Headlong and EQ). It also technically powers up Play Rough, but I think that tera Fairy is generally not worth it given the other possible options and needs to be removed.

Play Rough can be used to OHKO Koraidon without Terastallizing, as well as beat opposing Great Tusk and Grimmsnarl behind screens. However, it has very little practical use outside of this.
I don't see how Play Rough helps vs Grimmsnarl because it is actually the same power as a STAB Headlong Rush (both 180 after multipliers), but it can also miss? I think that EQ or even Headlong is also objectively a better option vs Koraidon given it's tendency to terastillize (if Play Rough was revealed) and run Scarf sets. This makes it unreliable even when hitting pokemon for supereffective damage AND it can miss. I don't think Play Rough should be on there as an option, EQ is so much better and has so much more utility in hitting even more targets which would be all pokemon it can't OHKO without taking extra damage from defense drops. To add insult to injury, Play Rough is also a contact move so that a Great Tusk with no recovery can fully be a victim to all sorts of punishing contact moves (which EQ completely avoids). Headlong and EQ do everything Play Rough does but better and they don't miss. Remove Play Rough!

Choice Scarf is the better option, CB's niche barely exists (Scarf first slash). CB is only really viable on Webs and be sure to point that out. I believe that is the case because it's role is to act as a strong wallbreaker, but it's completely outclassed in this role by Offensive Utility Great Tusk. That set also allows for much more utility as well as the ability to switch moves. It is also often a case where if you can't OHKO something with a Choice Band you most definitely can 2HKO them without a Band, so with CB you're just going for the OHKOes on more offensive pokemon (which you can outspeed thanks to Sticky Web). Lastly and most importantly, every good team can easily prevent you from getting more than a single KO (at worst) or you could simply predict wrong and still get easily revenge killed in both cases. Leftovers immensely helps out for you to be harder to revenge kill, so unless you're using Webs to make up for your Speed, I think that CB is worse than Lefties or Scarf (unless you get every turn right ofc).

Didn't notice anything else that needs correcting. After implementation QC: 1/2

OreoSpeedruns

Embrace the wonders within.
is a Tiering Contributor
EQ first slash on the 3rd move slot. It allows you to freely spam your ground STAB while remaining as hard to revenge kill as before since you aren't lowering your defenses. Another thing is that tera Fighting is also a viable option (2nd slash) because it crushes Corviknight reliant defensive cores which opens up your common teammates Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane. It is especially good because all Ghost and Poison types have to think twice before switching in thanks to your Ground STAB threatening to OHKO in most cases. Tera Fairy's most consistent quality is in helping make moves neutral to you, which tera Ground already does well while also giving you a power boost on your best STAB (Headlong and EQ). It also technically powers up Play Rough, but I think that tera Fairy is generally not worth it given the other possible options and needs to be removed.

I don't see how Play Rough helps vs Grimmsnarl because it is actually the same power as a STAB Headlong Rush (both 180 after multipliers), but it can also miss? I think that EQ or even Headlong is also objectively a better option vs Koraidon given it's tendency to terastillize (if Play Rough was revealed) and run Scarf sets. This makes it unreliable even when hitting pokemon for supereffective damage AND it can miss. I don't think Play Rough should be on there as an option, EQ is so much better and has so much more utility in hitting even more targets which would be all pokemon it can't OHKO without taking extra damage from defense drops. To add insult to injury, Play Rough is also a contact move so that a Great Tusk with no recovery can fully be a victim to all sorts of punishing contact moves (which EQ completely avoids). Headlong and EQ do everything Play Rough does but better and they don't miss. Remove Play Rough!

Choice Scarf is the better option, CB's niche barely exists (Scarf first slash). CB is only really viable on Webs and be sure to point that out. I believe that is the case because it's role is to act as a strong wallbreaker, but it's completely outclassed in this role by Offensive Utility Great Tusk. That set also allows for much more utility as well as the ability to switch moves. It is also often a case where if you can't OHKO something with a Choice Band you most definitely can 2HKO them without a Band, so with CB you're just going for the OHKOes on more offensive pokemon (which you can outspeed thanks to Sticky Web). Lastly and most importantly, every good team can easily prevent you from getting more than a single KO (at worst) or you could simply predict wrong and still get easily revenge killed in both cases. Leftovers immensely helps out for you to be harder to revenge kill, so unless you're using Webs to make up for your Speed, I think that CB is worse than Lefties or Scarf (unless you get every turn right ofc).

Didn't notice anything else that needs correcting. After implementation QC: 1/2
Implemented all of these changes, thank you!!!

Implemented all of these changes, thank you!!!
Great, only thing I forgot is to tell you Adamant is 10 times better than Jolly (especially on Scarf). Jolly is technically there but the speed is not at all worth it, the only thing that you don't outspeed with Adamant are other Scarf Great Tusk and the extremely garbage Dragapult. For all I care I don't think Jolly should be on there at all, remove Jolly entirely.

OreoSpeedruns

is a Tiering Contributor
Great, only thing I forgot is to tell you Adamant is 10 times better than Jolly (especially on Scarf). Jolly is technically there but the speed is not at all worth it, the only thing that you don't outspeed with Adamant are other Scarf Great Tusk and the extremely garbage Dragapult. For all I care I don't think Jolly should be on there at all, remove Jolly entirely.
Indeed, indeed, thanks for helping me out!

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
along w the above, watch your formatting, you forgot the [SET] header at the top, and slashes between moves and tera types need spaces like the evs have.

Steel types like Gholdengo and the significantly rarer Scizor are also good partners for Great Tusk, as they resist Ice, Fairy, and Grass type moves aimed at Great Tusk, and can threaten to KO Ice and Fairy types with super effective STAB Make It Rain or Bullet Punch, respectively.
I'd remove Scizor, if half your team is Koraidon Great Tusk Scizor you aren't exactly gonna have a fun time vs things like Alo, Dondozo, or just stall. Instead I'd also focus on Gholdengo being able to block Defog to keep hazards up to chip walls along w it just being a good steel.

Looks good otherwise qc 2/2
Stamp.gif

OreoSpeedruns

is a Tiering Contributor
along w the above, watch your formatting, you forgot the [SET] header at the top, and slashes between moves and tera types need spaces like the evs have.

I'd remove Scizor, if half your team is Koraidon Great Tusk Scizor you aren't exactly gonna have a fun time vs things like Alo, Dondozo, or just stall. Instead I'd also focus on Gholdengo being able to block Defog to keep hazards up to chip walls along w it just being a good steel.

Looks good otherwise qc 2/2
View attachment 481862
Implemented, thank you Fc!!!

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma
[SET]
name: Great Tusk
move 1: Headlong Rush
move 2: Close Combat
tera type: ground / fighting Ground / Fighting

[SET COMMENTS]

• Tera Ground turns can turn Headlong Rush into a devastating STAB attack that can break through bulky targets it Great Tusk (I imagine?) normally wouldn’t, such as Scream Tail and Dondozo.
  • Tera Fighting lets Great Tusk crush Corviknight with Close Combat, which severely hurts defensive structures reliant on it. This opens up powerful teammates like Flutter Mane and Iron Bundle.
  • Rapid Spin can be used as a hazard clearing option for teams weak to hazards. This is a great way to support powerful threats weak to Stealth Rock, like Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, and Iron Bundle.
  • Knock Off provides crucial item-removing support and is a valuable option for crippling walls reliant on Leftovers, allowing its team to more easily break past them.
  • Earthquake can be used as a strong Ground STAB that makes Great Tusk harder to revenge kill than Headlong Rush does, as it doesn’t drop its defenses.
  • Rapid Spin works well for teams weak to entry hazards. It's a great way to support powerful threats weak to Stealth Rock, like Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, and Iron Bundle.
  • Knock Off provides fantastic item-removing support, and it especially cripples walls reliant on Leftovers like , (give an example imo) allowing its team to more easily break past them.
  • Play Rough can be used to OHKO Koraidon without Terastallizing, as well as beating opposing Great Tusk. However, it has very little practical use outside of this.
  • Choice Scarf Great Tusk functions most effectively as a wallbreaker in the early and middle game, early- and mid-game, suited best for offensive structures that struggle with physical walls like the aforementioned Scream Tail and Dondozo. When building teams, remember Great Tusk must use Terastallization to actually break through said walls, so it may be hard for teammates to Terastallize. (I imagine something like this makes sense? Feel free to change as desired. If i'm absolutely missing the point entirely, you may want to add something to / change something about the first couple bullets, because I used them to reach this conclusion)
  • Choice Band Great Tusk only functions well on Sticky Web teams, where Great Tusk’s greater power and lower speed appreciate the speed drop inflicted on the opposing team by Sticky Web. the stronger and slower set appreciates Sticky Web dropping foes' Speed.
  • Koraidon is a great partner, setting up sun and activating Protosynthesis for Great Tusk, while also being able to weaken and resist Water-type move and resist Grass typeTusk. It further resists Water- and Grass-type moves aimed at Great Tusk, weakening the former. Koraidon also effectively baits in Skeledirge, whom which Great Tusk reliably threatens.
  • Miraidon is also a great partner, as it can threaten Flying-types, (added hyphen) like Corviknight and the rarer Pelipper and Dragonite. This helps to make Great Tusk’s Headlong Rush much more spammable.
  • Gholdengo is also a good partner for Great Tusk, as it resists Ice, Fairy, and Grass type Ice-, Fairy-, and Grass-type moves aimed at Great Tusk, and it can threaten to KO Ice- and Fairy-types (added hyphen) with super effective STAB Make It Rain. (merged bullets) In addition, Gholdengo also blocks all hazard removal, helping to wear down walls for Great Tusk's team to eventually break through.

[CREDITS]
Adeleine-1.gif
GP Team done

OreoSpeedruns

is a Tiering Contributor
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma
[SET]
name: Great Tusk
move 1: Headlong Rush
move 2: Close Combat
tera type: ground / fighting Ground / Fighting

[SET COMMENTS]

• Tera Ground turns can turn Headlong Rush into a devastating STAB attack that can break through bulky targets it Great Tusk (I imagine?) normally wouldn’t, such as Scream Tail and Dondozo.
  • Rapid Spin can be used as a hazard clearing option for teams weak to hazards. This is a great way to support powerful threats weak to Stealth Rock, like Chien-Pao, Chi-Yu, and Iron Bundle.
  • Knock Off provides crucial item-removing support and is a valuable option for crippling walls reliant on Leftovers, allowing its team to more easily break past them.
  • Earthquake can be used as a strong Ground STAB that makes Great Tusk harder to revenge kill than Headlong Rush does, as it doesn’t drop its defenses.
  • Knock Off provides fantastic item-removing support, and it especially cripples walls reliant on Leftovers like , (give an example imo) allowing its team to more easily break past them.
  • Choice Scarf Great Tusk functions most effectively as a wallbreaker in the early and middle game, early- and mid-game, suited best for offensive structures that struggle with physical walls like the aforementioned Scream Tail and Dondozo. When building teams, remember Great Tusk must use Terastallization to actually break through said walls, so it may be hard for teammates to Terastallize. (I imagine something like this makes sense? Feel free to change as desired. If i'm absolutely missing the point entirely, you may want to add something to / change something about the first couple bullets, because I used them to reach this conclusion)
  • Choice Band Great Tusk only functions well on Sticky Web teams, where Great Tusk’s greater power and lower speed appreciate the speed drop inflicted on the opposing team by Sticky Web. the stronger and slower set appreciates Sticky Web dropping foes' Speed.
  • Koraidon is a great partner, setting up sun and activating Protosynthesis for Great Tusk, while also being able to weaken and resist Water-type move and resist Grass typeTusk. It further resists Water- and Grass-type moves aimed at Great Tusk, weakening the former. Koraidon also effectively baits in Skeledirge, whom which Great Tusk reliably threatens.
  • Miraidon is also a great partner, as it can threaten Flying-types, (added hyphen) like Corviknight and the rarer Pelipper and Dragonite. This helps to make Great Tusk’s Headlong Rush much more spammable.
  • Gholdengo is also a good partner for Great Tusk, as it resists Ice, Fairy, and Grass type Ice-, Fairy-, and Grass-type moves aimed at Great Tusk, and it can threaten to KO Ice- and Fairy-types (added hyphen) with super effective STAB Make It Rain. (merged bullets) In addition, Gholdengo also blocks all hazard removal, helping to wear down walls for Great Tusk's team to eventually break through.

[CREDITS]
View attachment 481960GP Team done
All added, lmk if there's more this thing needs, otherwise, it's done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)