Choice Scarf Dragonite

Introduction: I've been using this set for a long time and it's been very effective so far. I discovered this set when I grew increasingly disappointed in Flygon and its low attack stat so I looked for a substitute for it with a higher attack stat.

Enter the Dragonite

name: Choice Scarf Dragonite
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Fire Punch/Fire Blast/Sleep Talk
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 Attack, 180 speed, 78 Hit Points(or spread them out for defenses)
nature: Jolly

Why the set deserves to be on the site:
-It is a very strong, powerful alternative to Choice Scarf Flygon. What it lacks in U-Turn it compensates with in raw power and an equally impressive move pool.

Additional comments:
-With the ev spread listed above, Dragonite out-speeds Aerodactyl, Crobat and Jolteon, the 3 fastest pokemon in the game.
-With the addition of Fire Punch/Fire Blast, even Skarmory and Forretress won't be able to counter it.
-The sleep talk variant is the perfect counter to breloom.
-If you really are running the Fire Punch/Blast set then use those moves in the beginning and then outrage in the later part of the game to sweep.
-If you're running the Fire set then it would be in your best interest to invest the defense/hp evs into its sp.atk.

Teammates and Counters:
-A rapid spinner on your team would be essential as this set is geared toward long-term play and stealth rock is crippling to all flying types.
-If you're running the sleep talk set then a magnezone would be extremely helpful as a partner to Dragonite to wipe out its counters early in the game such as Skarmory or Forretress.
-Counters: Skarmory and Forretress counter the sleep talk variant. A swampert with protect and ice beam completely counters this set.

Other Options: Hidden Power Grass, Aqua Tail, Super Power and Focus Punch should all be considered as alternative moves, as they're super effective against a long list of powerful pokemon.

As always, I thank you for your time and hope you look at this set with complete objectiveness and clarity.

~Precognition

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On the following update of Dragonite, you can find the reasons why a Choice Scarf set doesn't merit a set on the site. This hasn't changed at today's date. However, I will leave this thread open for further and detailed discussion.

I'm approving all these changes except the Scarf set, which as Philip outlined, doesn't meet any special characteristic as for having such set on-site.
I think it's time to include this set because when you posted your comment, Salamence was still a legal pokemon in OU. Since Salamence is banned, I think it's time to let Dragonite come in and have his fun.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With its "awesome" base 80 speed? None of the reasons there have anything to do with Mence existing. It can't outspeed Gyarados, gets outsped by Scarf Heatran, Scarf Rotom, gets outsped by Scarf Flygon, Scarf Jirachi, etc. Base 100 speed has a ton of merit for a Scarf set. Base 80, especially with a SR weakness and either too little power or the need to be locked in against a potentially dangerous foe, just doesn't cut it.

Unfortunately, Sleep Talk doesn't allow you to counter Breloom at all. Firstly, you can only sleep talk once when choiced, and then you're forced to switch out. Secondly, if you choose 2/3 of your attacks, you hit Breloom NVE and it gets to have its way with you until you switch.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Choice Scarf Flygon is better almost every way you look at it. It has access to U-Turn, higher speed, and a stealth rock resistance. This thing can't even outspeed Jolly DD Gyara after it has used Dragon Dance once.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It deals plenty of damage to the things it needs to. This doesn't do a hell of a lot more damage unless you use Outrage, which sucks. Flygon's EQ is stronger, Thunderpunch is more effective than Stone Edge in many cases, and U-turn is awesome. Unless you intend to own yourself with Outrage all day long, Dragonite isn't providing a hell of a lot.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The only attack that's more powerful than Flygon that matters is Outrage. Stone Edge is generally "OHKO or bust" with the accuracy. Earthquake on Flygon is better with STAB. The real problem with this set though is that there's no reason to use Dragonite over Flygon because of U-turn, resistance to Stealth Rock, and higher Speed.

If you could show some important calcs where you really need those extra attack points, lemme know. Be sure to compare to Adamant Scarf Flygon.

I'm doing the Dragonite analysis and Choice Scarf will most likely be excluded because of everything SDS has said.

Probably the only reason to ever consider Scarf Dragonite instead of Scarf Flygon is if you switch to Adamant for a significant power increase to make Dragonite sort of a bulky sort of fast Outrage spam (which isn't TOO bad). However, weakness to Stealth Rock and not being able to outspeed other scarfers makes this less than desirable.

The main reason why this set really isn't all that great is Dragonite's own Choice Band set. Choice Band Extremespeed is going to beat everything a ScarfDragonite is attempting to revenge except Gengar, who can't switch into anything your running other than Extremespeed. Not only that, you still get Outrage, Fire Punch, and one of Earthquake, Aqua Tail, Superpower, Dragon Claw all coming of 600+ attack to boot! So basically, just 100% outclassed in every facet.

Flygon's access to U-Turn and resistance to Stealth Rock is huge....lets not forget that it is base 100, which already makes him better. Attack stat isn't essential when you have a near perfect combination arguably OP stabs with EQ and Outrage make Flygon the better choice, in terms of Choice Scarf variants.

-With the ev spread listed above, Dragonite out-speeds Aerodactyl, Crobat and Jolteon, the 3 fastest pokemon in the game.
Electrode is faster than the 3 Pokémon you listed, and Ninjask is even faster than Electrode.

The sleep talk variant is the perfect counter to breloom.
I don't see why you would use Sleep Talk for Breloom if you outspeed it, unless you want to switch in on the Spore, Sleep Talk, hope to get Fire Blast and Outrage, both of which only have a slight chance to 1HKO offensive Breloom variants

Fire Punch does lol damage to Skarmory and this Dragonite set is hardly a counter to Breloom.

Fire Punch vs. 252/176+ Skarmory 30.5% - 35.9%

Focus Punch vs. 76/0 Dragonite 40.9% - 48.2%
Focus Punch vs. 0/0 Dragonite 43.3% - 51.1%

Stone Edge vs. 76/0 Dragonite 73.1% - 86.5%
Stone Edge vs. 0/0 Dragonite 77.4% - 91.6%

Fire Punch does lol (piss poor)damage to Skarmory and this Dragonite set is hardly a counter to Breloom.

Fire Punch vs. 252/176+ Skarmory 30.5% - 35.9%

Focus Punch vs. 76/0 Dragonite 40.9% - 48.2%
Focus Punch vs. 0/0 Dragonite 43.3% - 51.1%

Stone Edge vs. 76/0 Dragonite 73.1% - 86.5%
Stone Edge vs. 0/0 Dragonite 77.4% - 91.6%
I was showing that this set is inefficient, not efficient.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We need more sarcasm buttons on the internet. /me facepalms.

Also, Fire Blast would be superior on this set than Fire Punch. 3HKOing Skarmory is pretty fucking terrible (almost a 4HKO I think). Not to mention Fire Punch sucks balls vs. Metagross.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)