Civilization

RODAN

Banned deucer.
hi i decided to make a thread for the civilization games, if you don't know about them heres the basics

you pick a civ and a map and you make cities and shit and games take 10+ hours

for previous players i would like to ask what is your favourite civ to play, 1 2 3 4 5 or revolution and what civ in said game is your favourite to play as (songhai from civ 5, china from civ 4 etc)

i personally love austria from civ 5, because of the ridiculous snowball potential, if you start generating a decent amount of gold you can pretty much own the entire map.

aztecs are cool too

i fucking love civilization, but havent played 5 so i cant really contribute on that. im pretty sure my pos laptop cant run 4 atm either, which is a damn shame as that is the peak of the series imo (again, i havent played 5 so its all based on what i have read). that being said i spent hours on 4, vanilla, expansions, and mods. the base game was fantastic, and the strong modding community never fails to impress me with what they have produced.

overall though the series is probably in my top 5 video game franchises of all time, and its a shame i cant play it right now because of laptop issues, and revolution is hardly a substitute, because id love for some good civilization action right now

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
The only one I've really played is V. Honestly I find it boring as shit most of the time. Also I'm awful at it. (These things may be related.)

Not that any of that stops me from continuing to play it.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Absolutely love Civ 5, is it worth playing any of the older games in the series?

Also the Japanese are the best get out

Brave new world is not worth retail price, imo.
It totally is worth the price IMO and this is from someone who got civ 5 gold for 12.49 on steam sale. It really does what's promised and makes the end game feel less like a slog towards a chosen victory condition and makes it more engaging and dynamic. I will say that's its probably too easy now to get a diplomatic victory if you know how to work the system, but overall I really like the changes brave new world brought.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i play 4 sporadically. i am technically a fucking terrible player but i ply my trade by being a horrible war monger and picking on other civs, would get dicked by real people

ps: space race and culture wins are for cumstains

It totally is worth the price IMO and this is from someone who got civ 5 gold for 12.49 on steam sale. It really does what's promised and makes the end game feel less like a slog towards a chosen victory condition and makes it more engaging and dynamic. I will say that's its probably too easy now to get a diplomatic victory if you know how to work the system, but overall I really like the changes brave new world brought.
It makes the late game less dull, but it doesn't feel any less predictable. Trade routes were a gigantic missed opportunity.

it's like $50 where I live, best off getting it from somewhere like green man gaming

Makes the AI diplomacy even more retarded too, which I didn't think was possible
$50 is too much for sure, I got it for what I think is the standard $30, which is ok with me if a tad pricey. I don't think the AI is significantly more retarded (civ 5 has always had a bad AI, no two ways about it). They're much less likely to early war dec you and if it does come it's a fair bit later usually, but that's fine since trade routes make that more optimal in bnw anyway. Like I said before though, the new voting system is much too easy to win a diplomatic victory with, to the point of if you're going for a scientific victory you may actually have to actively avoid getting the diplomatic victory first. Fortunately Firaxis has promised a fall balance patch that will hopefully fix some of the issues, and I would totally understand wanting to wait until then for purchase.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
being a warmonger is hard in civ v. being a noob, i obviously went for the strategy of attack anything that moves and it got me nowhere. i think if you want to be a warmonger, you should set up strong science early game. elsewise, you focus too much on military and you're fighting musketmen with pikemen or some shit.

koreans are awesome n so are egyptians

being a warmonger is hard in civ v. being a noob, i obviously went for the strategy of attack anything that moves and it got me nowhere. i think if you want to be a warmonger, you should set up strong science early game. elsewise, you focus too much on military and you're fighting musketmen with pikemen or some shit.
Depends who you play as, Assyria or Huns can just go batshit insane with their military in the early stages.

Depends who you play as, Assyria or Huns can just go batshit insane with their military in the early stages.
Yeah but it's much harder to, because everyone just denounces you. I was France, and the Huns kept bullying my city states. Brazil offered to go to war with the Huns, which I accepted, then a few turns later everyone started denouncing me as a warmonger, including Brazil, who asked me to go to war in the first place

I played Revolution and my friend gave me the cracked version of V I was ok at the former and absolute bollocks at the latter. I want the real Civ V so I can play with y'all :/

My favorite in Rev was Germany but idk about V I've only played as like 2 civs

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Germany is widely considered to be the worst civ in V, at least as far as I've seen.

I personally prefer Babylon for the easy mode science victories or Egypt so that my enemies keep seeing "<wonder> has been completed in a faraway land!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)