Not open for further replies.

Claydol @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry/Light clay
Bold 252HP/252Def/4SpD

Ice Beam
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock/Toxic/Light Screen
Reflect/Rest/Explosion

Introduction :

Claydol can switch into every Groudon set without worry and set up SR or rapid spin. By virtue of levitate and his ground typing, he is immune to earthquake and resists stone edge, meaning that Dragon Claw is the only common move that Groudon can really use on Claydol With the given Evs, Rock Polish Groudon’s Life Orb boosted Dragon Claw maxes out at 35.2%, meaning that Claydol can switch in on the rock polish, easily take a dragon claw while setting up reflect, and then proceed to laugh as Groudon can only manage 17.9% max under reflect. Once behind the screen, Claydol can set up Stealth rock, spin, and then proceed to wear it down with Ice Beam or Toxic until it dies. Even if Groudon carries Swords Dance with Rock Polish, Claydol will still come out on top due to his resistance to Stone Edge!

Moveset and Item :

Ice beam is necessary to wear down Groudon and prevent Rayquaza and Garchomp from setting up on you; it also does a respectable amount of damage to Giratina-O who may be trying to block your spin, though you will generally want to catch it on the switch. Rapid Spin is a must on the set as it is the only thing that differentiates Claydol from Bronzong (In the way of countering Groudon), while SR is easy to set up due to the omnipresence of Groudon and Claydol’s various resistances and immunities; however, Toxic is also an option that can prevent Claydol from being set up fodder for the likes of Kyogre, Latios, Wobbuffet, and Taunt-less Mewtwo. Light Screen is more of a novelty, but it is always an option if your team really needs it. The last slot is between Reflect, Rest, and Explosion. Reflect is the more consistent in general; however, the instant recovery of Rest + Chesto Berry gives Claydol a bit of extra longevity that can prove useful against stall and recovering from the occasional critical hit. Explosion is generally a lesser option, but can catch Blissey off guard, and while it will not OHKO, with a minimum output of 73.5%, it will leave her crippled. Light clay has its uses when dealing with Groudon as it will prevent the screen from fading before you have defeated him, so you will have a bit more time to set up on it before attacking, but has little use outside of that (Unless you are running Light Screen), but Claydol will really miss the recovery from leftovers.

EVs and Nature :

Max HP and defense with a defense-boosting nature is a must for dealing with Groudon, and the remaining 4 Evs should be placed into SpD to help with overall defenses. An alternate spread of 252HP/176Def/80SpD is acceptable is you are running light screen to give you a bit more staying power against neutral special attacks like Choice Scarf Palkia’s Spacial Rend, which only a 4HKO under the screen; it is generally a better idea to just max defense in order to deal with Groudon better, though. If OHKOing Blissey with Explosion is important, a spread of 248 HP/ 60 Atk/ 196 Def/ 4 Spe with a relaxed nature can be used to ensure she faints after Stealth Rock damage. This also allows you to stay one point above any Scizor running 4 speed Evs so that you can set up a reflect before it U-turns.

Team Options :

Pokemon like Bulk Up Dialga and Swords Dance Lucario who appreciate both Stealth Rock and having Groudon out of the picture can really benefit from having Claydol around. Defensively, Claydol will really need someone to take water, ice, dark, bug, and ghost-type attacks; Dialga gets a special mention because Claydol resists fighting and is immune to ground type attacks, while Dialga resists the dark, water, ghost, and bug type attacks that plague Claydol. Rayquaza is also a great offensive partner as it benefits from all three of Claydol’s specialties : Removing (or at least weakening) Groudon, deploying Stealth Rock, and removing the hazard from the field.

Other Options :

Grass knot can be used to do a bit more damage to Groudon while also hitting Kyogre on the switch, but should only be used with explosion in the set to prevent the ever threatening Rayquaza from setting up. Note that this will leave Claydol with no way to hit Giratina-O, so hazards will be much harder to remove. Protect is viable to scout common choice item users and gain another turn of leftovers recovery, but fitting it on the set can be hard. Skill Swap in conjunction with Toxic is a silly way to kill off Wobbuffet but really serves no other purpose (It is always great for a laugh/rage quit, though). Recycle with a Chesto Berry gives Claydol consistent recovery, but he will seldom live long enough to abuse it. Finally, Claydol makes a decent user of Trick Room if you are running that sort of team (Make sure to minimize speed).

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Claydol simply isn't strong enough, offensively or defensively, to be successful in Ubers. It barely counters Groudon, since it only 3HKOs the Rock Polish set and sometimes fails to even 4HKO the defensive set. Against anything that isn't weak to Ice, this Claydol is completely useless.

QC REJECTED (1/3)

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would like to add that even with 252 HP / 252 Def Bold this Claydol set still dies to Outrage from Giratina-O after Stealth Rock if it isn't holding Leftovers, not to mention it is weak to Ghost-type attacks-- which doesn't really bode well for a spinblocker.

Claydol sucks a Rapin Spin user on Ubers, because it cannot hit Giratina for Super Effective damage effectively (non-STAB Ice Beam is lol) and cannot withstand its moves, unlike Forretress. Not to mention that there are many competent Stealth Rock users in the tier, and a better user of Rapid Spin; so basically Claydol is outclassed in every way by most Pokémon.

Also, Grass Knot hits both Groudon and Kyogre for 120 Base Power; the coverage is pretty bad but apart from being a shaky Groudon check, it is mostly useless in the tier, anyway.

I disagree (haha well of course I doXD) with him being a poor rapid spinner. Forretress can not withstand HP fire from giratina-o just like claydol can not take a Draco Meteor, so that compairason does not really make sense to me. I laddered a team with claydol that got to 6th on the LB and can honestly boast that Claydol was never beaten by a groudon even once, even those with swords dance.

For the support set (Of groudons) Claydol may not be able to kill it quickly, but groudon isn't going to beat claydol anytime soon either, especially with reflect. The premise is much the same as with primape in Ubers and porygon2 in OU (Being able to counter one or two thing very well and perform a few other tasks decently) but with groudon instead. He is not necessarily a something to be used as a general wall, but more of a pokemon used to balance and fill a specfic hole in a team (In this case one who is weak to groudon). It is just my opinion (Which I admit may not be impartial) but I feel that he is just as worth of analysis as primape.

I am sorry that you see the set as useless, but I do understand your skepticism. Just try and see it as more of a niche role like primape's.

Well, since every Uber stall team (I suppose you are using this on a stall team, anyway; since offense has better options) needs every slot, and even then struggle to check every treat, I would not waste a slot on a Pokémon whose only function is to beat Groudon (and even then, it loses more than half its HP in the process.)

There are way better checks to Groudon, and they can remain useful even if the opposing team does not have Groudon, like Bronzong and Giratina. Also, Forretress only suffers a OHKO from Giratina under sunlight, and my point is still relevant since there are many Giratina sets, like Calm Mind + Substitute that Forretress deals pretty well with, while Claydol becomes set-up fodder.

Since Giratina is likely going to switch-in expecting a Rapid Spin, you can hit it hard with Payback, something that Claylol cannot afford to do. I guess Claydol can take on physical Rayquaza, but even then, Forretress resists Outrage, and it is not dead-weight after it has used a support move (Stealth Rock in Claydol´s case) My point is that Claydol is outclassed in the tier, that means that even though it can be usable, there are still better options.

Edit** I think a "niche Pokemon" is a rewording for "gimmick Pokemon."

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Forretress can not withstand HP fire from giratina-o just like claydol can not take a Draco Meteor, so that compairason does not really make sense to me.
Forretress can take a few Hidden Power Fires in the rain, and can actually to something other then counter 1 specific Pokemon! It is one of the only viable Toxic Spikers in Ubers.

For the support set (Of groudons) Claydol may not be able to kill it quickly, but groudon isn't going to beat claydol anytime soon either, especially with reflect. The premise is much the same as with primape in Ubers and porygon2 in OU (Being able to counter one or two thing very well and perform a few other tasks decently) but with groudon instead.
Honestly, if you are that weak to Groudon slap a Choice Scarf Shaymin-S on your team, it can at least do other things like flinch hax. In OU, porygon2 can do a lot more things then counter 2 Pokemon. It has really good bulk alongside reliable recovery with near perfect neutral coverage. It can take Heatran, Vaporeon, Flygon's Earthquake, Jolteon, Gyarados, ect. Also, Primeape is sort-of useful because it is the closest thing we have to a "Darkrai Counter" who has no real "counters" other then that. Groudon has plenty of checks and counters.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
QC Rejection 2/3

GreatSage pretty much said what I was going to say. If you really want to defend your case, I suggest you get some logs of Claydol out.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Claydol being unable to switch into almost nothing in ubers promotes this. Groudon is about the only thing. It can't switch into Draco Meteors or set up many hazards like Forretress. I can see it possibly working for a team very weak to groudon, but has very little use otherwise. Then again you can use ScarfShaymin-S or defencive Groudon of your own.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
For the record Primeape is a terrible Pokemon in Ubers. It stops Darkrai and that's it - and it can't really take repeated Dark Pulses either and I'm sure Focus Blast would make it cry. But anyways, this is about Claydol, not about Primeape

I think an extremely powerful quality in Claydol is its resistance to SR and immunity to Toxic Spikes/Spikes. That being said, however, Claydol's niche is a bit too small for the Uber metagame IMO. It can't exactly hurt Giratina-O either (though I guess this applies for every other spinner). Being able to stop Groudon is a nice thing I guess, but Claydol just falls flat against everything else. My concerns of the set has been addressed by most of people. I am going to have to reject Claydol, unfortunately.

QC REJECTED 3/3

Well I guess it is a bit late for logs now haha. I guess you can lock/delete this because I think I am the only one who supports it XP Thanks for your consideration, anyway! =]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)