Pokémon Clodsire

1668778006257.jpeg

Poison/Ground
Base Stats: 130/75/60/45/100/20
Abilties:Poison Point/Water Absorb(Unaware)
Notable Moves:
  • Earthquake
  • Toxic
  • Recover
  • Spikes
  • Stealth Rock
  • Toxic Spikes
  • Chilling Water
  • Gunk Shot
Level Up:
1-Poison Sting
1-Tail Whip
4-Toxic Spikes
8-Mud Shot
12-Poison Tail
16-Slam
21-Yawn
24-Poison Jab
30-Sludge Wave
36-Megahorn
40-Toxic
48-Earthquake
Evolution:
-Amnesia
Egg Moves:
TM Moves:

01-Take Down
05-Mud Slap
07-Protect
11-Water Pulse
12-Low Kick
13-Acid Spray
20-Trailblaze
25-Facade
26-Poison Tail
28-Bulldoze
35-Mud Shot
36-Rock Tomb
45-Venoshock
47-Endure
50-Rain Dance
51-Sandstorm
55-Dig
59-Zen Headbutt
66-Body Slam
70-Sleep Talk
77-Waterfall
83-Poison Jab
84-Stomping Tantrum
85-Rest
86-Rock Slide
89-Body Press
90-Spikes
91-Toxic Spikes
99-Iron Head
102-Gunk Shot
103-Substitute
110-Liquidation
116-Stealth Rock
121-Heavy Slam
123-Surf
128-Amnesia
130-Helping Hand
133-Earth Power
142-Hydro Pump
148-Sludge Bomb
149-Earthquake
150-Stone Edge
152-Giga Impact
163-Hyper Beam
171-Tera Blast
Pros:
-Great 130/100 Special Bulk
-Typing gives it notable resistances to Fairy and Fighting, and an Electric immunity
-Unaware is a great ability for stopping special setup sweepers
-Water Absorb is an option to get rid of a weakness and potentially pull off a very nice bait
-Access to Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Toxic Spikes which it can slap on a set to its liking
-It choco bread :D
Cons:
-60 Defense isn’t great, even with the HP
-Defensive typing leaves it weak to common offensive types like Water and Ice
-75/45 offenses make it very passive
Terastalize Potential
It probably isn’t a great user of Tera considering the opportunity cost, however Terastalizing to a better defensive typing like Steel could have some merit.
Potential Sets:
Special Unaware Wall
Clodsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Spikes/Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Recover

Uses its great special bulk and Unaware to act as a pretty nice special wall.
Bulky Water Absorb
Clodsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Spikes/Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Recover

As you can see, this set is entirely different, because it has Water Absorb instead of Unaware.

Toxic Spikes can be run over the other hazards, but it’s just a bit more niche usually.
Chilling Water does things, probably.

Last edited:
This funny little guy benefits from checking Flutter Mane and Palafin, but unfortunately not both at the same time. Unaware leaves you vulnerable to Jet Punch and Water Absorb results in Flutter Mane clicking Calm Mind 133 times. I think the longer you can hide its ability the better, as it'll discourage either from coming in on it.

In my opinion this is the coolest newly introduced Pokemon. I've been also running a special wall set, and it's one of the few consistent checks to :Flutter Mane:. But instead of hazards, I'm running Gunk Shot to put :Flutter Mane: in range of being killed. I'd like to suggest the addition of this move to the Notable Moves list, despite its low accuracy.

PS: with Gunk Shot you're not that passive, and much less vulnerable to Taunt.

Last edited:
A future OP staple, Unaware and Water Absorb are both good abilities, especially given its typing and stats. One of the few walls with toxic and recovery that can provide crucial backbone to balance teams once the broken mons are banned

I'm my opinion this is the coolest newly introduced Pokemon. I've been also running a special wall set, and it's one of the few consistent checks to :Flutter Mane:. But instead of hazards, I'm running Gunk Shot to put :Flutter Mane: in range of being killed. I'd like to suggest the addition of this move to the Notable Moves list, despite its low accuracy.

PS: with Gunk Shot you're not that passive, and much less vulnerable to Taunt.
I back up sticking Gunk Shot or at least a non-Ground attack in the Notable Moves list: having tried a fair few items on Glimmora, I've found that Air Balloon is one of the best items for it if not the best due to forcing the opponent to attack it at least twice the most often...and Hazards/Recovery/Earthquake/Toxic Clodsire lets that Glimmora in for dang near free. And then I still keep Mortal Spin on my Glimmora so I can Spin Clodsire's hazards away.

This funny little guy benefits from checking Flutter Mane and Palafin, but unfortunately not both at the same time. Unaware leaves you vulnerable to Jet Punch and Water Absorb results in Flutter Mane clicking Calm Mind 133 times.
Update: I don't actually know if Water Absorb checks Taunt/Bulk Up/Drain Punch Palafin-H in a raw 1v1. Drain Punch starts outdamaging Recover at around 4 Bulks Up (plural?) which is trivial to reach against a mon with base 75 attack.

Some thoughts on this set? Long time player but haven't attempted competitive until now, nor have I posted in the forum. This was inspired by BDSP's Battle Tower hax Quagsire w/Unaware, Stockpile, Whirlpool, Toxic, Recover.

Cursed Poopi Boi
Clodsire @ Leftovers
TERA TYPE: GHOST
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature (+SpDef -SpAtk)
- EQ
- CURSE
- Toxic
- Recover

Curse has three functions in this set and is, along with its Tera type, the cornerstone of this build:
  1. Bulk up this otherwise squeeky boi's Defense stat.
  2. Increase its mediocre Attack stat for juicy EQs and not rely solely on Toxic and...
  3. Curse, which becomes an offensive, hyperdamaging "poison" that stacks with Toxic, when Tera Ghost activates.
Recover, along with Lefties, is a must in a set that aims not only to sacrifice half of total HP for Ghost Curse, but also relies on setting up Regular Curse while surviving potential physical attacks.

Some FAQs:
  • Why not invest in Defense instead of SpDef? -This set fully relies on Curse's Defense and Attack boost. We lack a SpDef boost (this has Stockpile), so it needs to be at max from the get go.
  • Why Curse and not Stockpile? While Stockpile definitely has its perks, and is certainly a safer option, I like the versatility and surprise factor Curse brings.
  • Why Unaware and not Water Absorb? -I think Water Absorb has its uses, in particular for Physical Attackers like Palafin-H and Gyarados. However, I think it's best to avoid all the SDance and NPlot builds in the meta.

Pros:
  • Walls special attackers, which are a huge majority in this gen.
  • CAN wall physical attackers, although relies on successful set up.
  • Huge potential with Toxic + Curse damage.
  • Great recovering capability.
  • Decent coverage with EQ.
  • Surprise factor with Ghost Tera + Curse.
Cons:
  • Ghost Tera makes it vulnerable to two of the most common typings in the meta: Dark and Ghost.
  • Steel types, in particular those with Levitate/flyers, can be a huge problem.
  • Not planning set up correctly basically means getting OHKOed against a fast physical attacker with Close Combat.
  • Taunt deactivates this unless Curse was previously set up.
Simulation against one of its biggest threats: Veluza

Slashing Danger Fish
Veluza @ Choice Band
Ability: Sharpness
TERA TYPE: Water/Psychic
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk -SpAtk)
- Aqua Cutter
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash
- Fillet Away

Findings:
  • We don't care about Fillet Away (what an insane move btw) due to Unaware
  • Night Slash is mathematically less dangerous than Aqua Cutter/Psycho Cut
  • WORST CASE: No active Tera typing (who would Tera Veluza?), and one of its 105 base power (Sharpness) super effective Aqua Cutter / Psycho Cut land, and no Curses on our side, it will do 77% to 91% of our health. Unsustainable damage, can't get the Curse ball rolling.
  • Not even sustainable if we had 1 Curse up and the Veluza switched in, as it would still take up to 61% of our health.
  • Long story short, GTFO as soon as you see hard hitting (they don't even need to be fast lol) physicals with STAB super effective moves if Curse hasn't been set up

Last edited:
I know it was probably assumed in the posted builds, but Black Sludge in place of Leftovers.
Or is tricking the sludge back down your party a threat in Scarlet/Violet?

Last edited:
I know it was probably assumed in the posted builds, but Black Sludge in place of Leftovers.
Or is tricking the sludge back down your party a threat in Scarlet/Violet?
Changing your type with tera makes you vulnerable to your own black sludge,I think it's a bigger matter than tricking leftos instead of black sludge

Changing your type with tera makes you vulnerable to your own black sludge,I think it's a bigger matter than tricking leftos instead of black sludge
Snukio that's an awesome point.
You'd have to consider what your Tera type is going to be for sure. You have any early favorites?

Am thinking maybe Steel for a Water absorb build. Water ... but maybe Grass for an Unaware build. .

Unaware/Steel Tera: Solves two of three weak points (Ice, Ground) and gives you potential for Heavy Slam against lightweights and Iron Head for flinching in Trick Room situations.

Water Absorb/Water Tera: Solves two of your four defense weaknesses (ice and water) and enhances water moves (Liquidation, Chilling water)
Water Absorb/Grass Tera: Solves two of your four defense weaknesses (psychic and water)

Is Sassy a good nature for Clodsire? I know Careful is something a lot of people go for but is Sassy a good alternative?

Is Sassy a good nature for Clodsire? I know Careful is something a lot of people go for but is Sassy a good alternative?
I am by no means an expert (someone with more experience in the matter's input would be greatly appreciated), but on paper, even though Clodsire has a very low speed stat, since the above listed builds feature only physical attacks, it means that their Sp. Atk has 0 value. So it becomes a very logical dump stat. Although he is slow, from a min/max perspective, it's still harmful to sacrifice speed to maintain Sp. Atk because you still get some use out of it.

I am by no means an expert (someone with more experience in the matter's input would be greatly appreciated), but on paper, even though Clodsire has a very low speed stat, since the above listed builds feature only physical attacks, it means that their Sp. Atk has 0 value. So it becomes a very logical dump stat. Although he is slow, from a min/max perspective, it's still harmful to sacrifice speed to maintain Sp. Atk because you still get some use out of it.
brief follow-up. I personally find that the Sassy v. Careful discussion comes down to situational use. With 20 base speed, the only "reasonable" speed ties you will every potentially encounter are Torkoal and god forbid a Greedent as Escavalier, Ferro and Megas are currently nowhere to be seen. Your only meaningful outspeeds are Stakataka, Pyukumuku and Shuckle which all aren't in the game either, so it really does just simply flip either way.

The only reason to clearly choose either one in specific is if you plan to run Clodsire in trick room where whatever -Spe nature is just clearly optimal. You'll practically have a lightspeed poopy boi flying around although that isn't something I haven't been insane enough to try yet.

The only other extremely fringe case I can think of is trying to boost with frickin Trailblaze which is a Careful angle, but like... no.
1669776375336.png

enjoy your 608 Spe at +6
I think the curse set is the only really viable set-up for a Clodsire carry set. Honestly, I've considered a double dance with both amnesia and curse, but I don't think Clodsire has the mixed bulk to support that type of setup

Last edited:
brief follow-up. I personally find that the Sassy v. Careful discussion comes down to situational use. With 20 base speed, the only "reasonable" speed ties you will every potentially encounter are Torkoal and god forbid a Greedent as Escavalier, Ferro and Megas are currently nowhere to be seen. Your only meaningful outspeeds are Stakataka, Pyukumuku and Shuckle which all aren't in the game either, so it really does just simply flip either way.

The only reason to clearly choose either one in specific is if you plan to run Clodsire in trick room where whatever -Spe nature is just clearly optimal. You'll practically have a lightspeed poopy boi flying around although that isn't something I haven't been insane enough to try yet.

The only other extremely fringe case I can think of is trying to boost with frickin Trailblaze which is a Careful angle, but like... no.
View attachment 469547
enjoy your 608 Spe at +6
I think the curse set is the only really viable set-up for a Clodsire carry set. Honestly, I've considered a double dance with both amnesia and curse, but I don't think Clodsire has the mixed bulk to support that type of setup
Thank you for input. I was pretty sure the speed drop was moot but certainly lacked the data to follow through, so I kinda defaulted to the obvious dump stat. Have you toyed around with Stockpile much as of yet? Is a Sassy/Careful Stockpile combo worth looking into?

Thank you for input. I was pretty sure the speed drop was moot but certainly lacked the data to follow through, so I kinda defaulted to the obvious dump stat. Have you toyed around with Stockpile much as of yet? Is a Sassy/Careful Stockpile combo worth looking into?
not much, based on just crude assumptions, I'd imagine its a fine toxic stall set since you can't get poisoned and burn matters a lot less than curse. You probably do some horrible set like this so that you start with more balanced defenses, but I'd assume setting up is way harder because your stats are sorta bad...
1669877983909.png

not much, based on just crude assumptions, I'd imagine its a fine toxic stall set since you can't get poisoned and burn matters a lot less than curse. You probably do some horrible set like this so that you start with more balanced defenses, but I'd assume setting up is way harder because your stats are sorta bad...
I see. And in the process you lose out on EQ STAB and potential Spikes set up. Thank you very much for the info! 1000% appreciate your time with this.

yea... luckily eq STAB isn't the most important thing ever because clod hits about as hard as a wet turd would anyways. and if you're setting up, its honestly really hard to set up hazards and set-up in a single set because you'll inevitably sacrifice longevity or passivity.

I really like Tera Dark to take on team archetypes which rely on either Prankster taunt or Special Ghost Spam - Unburden is really good

View attachment 469547
enjoy your 608 Spe at +6
So does that means Clodsire works well with Sassy and Careful? I have one that is Sassy but do not know if I should change it to Careful with a mint.

Last edited:
One of the few special walls in the whole tier. That being said it is really mostly viable on Stall teams because it is very passive. Toxic counteracts this somewhat though. It hasn't been performing that well due to Spikes everywhere and most pokemon being physically oriented.

I think even specially defensive clodsire should run some defensive investment to not get 2hkoed by iron valaints psyshock.

252 SpA Iron Valiant Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 164 Def Clodsire: 198-234 (42.7 - 50.5%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
248/164/96+ allows you to avoid the 2hko from psyshock almost always.

Special Unaware Wall
Clodsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Bulky Water Absorb
Clodsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
I just skimmed the thread, so sorry if I managed to miss someone else already pointing it out, but it looks like OP's spreads are each missing 4 EVs? These only add up to 504.

I just skimmed the thread, so sorry if I managed to miss someone else already pointing it out, but it looks like OP's spreads are each missing 4 EVs? These only add up to 504.
I usually rock 248 hp / 8 def / 252 Spe. Not sure if they meant to put 8 in attack or not tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)