Cofagrigus

I am not really sure how much more dusknoir can fall lol.

I think that mummy has potential to be a good ability, but it only works for PHYSICAL attacks, to it is still trapped by things like shandera.
The main reason he fell out of ou was the rotom forms doing his job better, with them losing their ghost typing he had a chance at coming back.

I wonder if his ability is enough to deter Pursuiters from having their way with him. I can see TTar not really caring. In fact, he'd probably enjoy the new ability to negate abilities.

Yeah, there will be certain pokemon who will actually want to hit Desukan with physical moves, and some who really won't care since they get their ability back on the switch anyway.

Even so, pokemon like Azumarill, Kojondo, Medicham, Machamp, and anything with Encourage/Overconfidence/speed boost won't like it.

The problem is that non-Dream World Gyarados (i.e. ones with Intimidate) won't care that their ability has been overwritten once they switch in. Only Dream World Gyarados will care (and you know which one it is when it switches in).
Gyarados has to be careful of will-o-wisp on the switch.

i can see this being a good switch in on speed boost blaziken. Slaking is also one of my favorites, to i'll definitely look for a way to make them work together, though i still think its not the best use of desukan.

i can see this being a good switch in on speed boost blaziken. Slaking is also one of my favorites, to i'll definitely look for a way to make them work together, though i still think its not the best use of desukan.
Desukan can team up with Slaking with any set. It really doesn't affect how you use Desukan itself at all.

the sad thing is that desukan is not gonna end up being choice band scizor good check as was once speculated, since with a simple u-turn it will get its technician ability back, the best to do is predict a scizor switch in and will-o-wisp it...

Even then, unless it's a really long fight, you'll do more damage with Shadow Ball over a few turns than Evil Eye on something that's statused. If we're factoring in Burn damage, then it could very well be a viable option, even if Shadow Ball is consistent.

Even then, unless it's a really long fight, you'll do more damage with Shadow Ball over a few turns than Evil Eye on something that's statused. If we're factoring in Burn damage, then it could very well be a viable option, even if Shadow Ball is consistent.
Even with a long fight, Shadow Ball is a bit more viable due to the chance of lowering your foe's Special Defense.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd take this over, but I'll give the OP a chance since it's not missing much. First off, here is a Desukan sprite.

Secondly, this guy looks pretty solid for Trick Room teams. Trick Room + Memento is a nice combo to have since it severely cripples the Pokmon that it's used on, which either means a forced switch or your Trick Room sweeper gets a small cushion. It can be a Trick Room sweeper. Nasty Plot / Trick Room / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fighting. It's not the greatest set to a degree, but probably nothing terrible to use either.

Finally, there should list some reasons why to use Desukan over a Pokemon, say, Dusknoir. Remember that Dusknoir still gets recovery, albeit somewhat unreliable, but it is important. Mummy is a mixed card. While it strips away No Guard from Machamp, it could also strip out Faint Hearted from Aakeosu.

It's an interesting Pokemon, but it's quirky. While it cockblocks ability-reliant Pokemon (which is great), it also poses a gamble on some of the negative abilities.

Is it possible that a wave of Slakings can result from common usage of Desukan? I figured to myself, "I like this thing, but there is a chance that someone who is either foolhardy or ballsy enough to anticipate Desukan on my team, and Pursuit me to lose Truant?" I know it's farfetched, but the same analogy can be said for a multitude of sweepers who would love to use Pursuit to acquire Mummy.

EDIT: Gamefreak41495 already made a note about it. My apologies.

If someone switches Slaking onto your Desukan, you have at least two turns to hit it with a status move. I'm pretty sure you won't be KO'ed by Slaking's pursuit.

Yogi Bear said:
The problem is that non-Dream World Gyarados (i.e. ones with Intimidate) won't care that their ability has been overwritten once they switch in. Only Dream World Gyarados will care (and you know which one it is when it switches in).
But it's not like Desukan's going to give a damn about its Attack being lowered. And WoW still cripples Gyarados, even if Mummy doesn't.

Is it possible that a wave of Slakings can result from common usage of Desukan? I figured to myself, "I like this thing, but there is a chance that someone who is either foolhardy or ballsy enough to anticipate Desukan on my team, and Pursuit me to lose Truant?" I know it's farfetched, but the same analogy can be said for a multitude of sweepers who would love to use Pursuit to acquire Mummy.
I already posted a far less situational version of that strategy.

It doesn't even take Deathkan on either side, really - if you've spread Mummy to your opponent then Slaking can come in at any time

I'd take this over, but I'll give the OP a chance since it's not missing much. First off, here is a Desukan sprite.

Secondly, this guy looks pretty solid for Trick Room teams. Trick Room + Memento is a nice combo to have since it severely cripples the Pokmon that it's used on, which either means a forced switch or your Trick Room sweeper gets a small cushion. It can be a Trick Room sweeper. Nasty Plot / Trick Room / Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fighting. It's not the greatest set to a degree, but probably nothing terrible to use either.

Finally, there should list some reasons why to use Desukan over a Pokemon, say, Dusknoir. Remember that Dusknoir still gets recovery, albeit somewhat unreliable, but it is important. Mummy is a mixed card. While it strips away No Guard from Machamp, it could also strip out Faint Hearted from Aakeosu.

It's an interesting Pokemon, but it's quirky. While it cockblocks ability-reliant Pokemon (which is great), it also poses a gamble on some of the negative abilities.
The Trick Room move is the first thing I thought of when I saw that speed. I hate Trick Room lol. Ya Dusnkoir still has it's usage but I still fancy this over him.

Here's what I'm thinking, is a wall and anti-physical sweeper, much like Dusknoir. He could also be an anti-spinner, depending on how prevalent things like Stealth Rock are this generation. Can also sweep.

Desukan @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
-Will-o-Wisp
-Calm Mind
-Shadow Ball / Evil Eye
-Destiny Bond

Will-o-Wisp to cripple physical attackers. Calm Mind to boost Special Defense, and set up for a sweep. Shadow Ball or Evil Eye, depending on weather you want reliability or power, and Destiny Bond to take the foe with it when he dies.

Here's what I'm thinking, is a wall and anti-physical sweeper, much like Dusknoir. He could also be an anti-spinner, depending on how prevalent things like Stealth Rock are this generation. Can also sweep.

Desukan @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
-Will-o-Wisp
-Calm Mind
-Shadow Ball / Evil Eye
-Destiny Bond

Will-o-Wisp to cripple physical attackers. Calm Mind to boost Special Defense, and set up for a sweep. Shadow Ball or Evil Eye, depending on weather you want reliability or power, and Destiny Bond to take the foe with it when he dies.
This is pretty much the set I was thinking of, except I was thinking of 252 HP, 128 Def, 128 SpDef for the spread. And possibly another attacking move instead of Destiny Bond. I like this more than the Trick Room variation people seem to be speaking of because I'm more of a stall person than offensive.

I'm not seeing what this guy has over Dusclops with Pre-evo Stone. Sure it can boost it's special attack, but it's still pursuit bait for one of the most used pokes of Gen 4. Assuming that it's running a NP or CM set it won't have WoW to cripple Ttar(which dusclops does with any set.). Also the possible "Ttar can Taunt..." argument is not really true(trying to avoid posting twice here by covering a possible counterpoint), because in the August 2010 stats Taunt is somewhere in the "Other" move usage category(5.2%). If it's not running a NP or CM set then Dusclops is just better because it can run up to 590 or so on either defensive stat. I don't feel like explaining why the Mummy ability isn't an advantage he has over Clops.

EDIT: I just saw the set with CM and WoW. It's walled by Blissey and any other normal type really. If the point of the CM is to boost Spdef, dusclops can do that better.

Yeah Desukan needs 252 HP to maximize in defences, along with max Def for the CM set posted above. Interesting Pokemon, checks Machamp thanks to 50bp Payback and loss of No Guard and serves as a reliable spin blocker. I would probably use something like this:

Desukan@Leftovers
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp/HP Fighting

If Mummy activated against special moves it would be much more effective, helping against Empoleon, Shanderaa and a whole bunch of shit which could otherwise set-up on Desukan. Anyway I wonder if it's possible to EV Desukan to survive Shanderaa's Shadow Ball and KO it in return; otherwise, that would become a big thorn in Desukan's ghostly ass.

EDIT: @above Mummy is really the selling point of any set. Also Dusknoir and Duskclops don't learn Sleep Talk.

Mummy is only effective in very specific circumstances. Quite frankly, as far as singles go i think mummy is being overhyped and the fact that you can just switch out to get rid of it makes it even more pathetic. 3 turn rest means that Rest is pretty much a gamble. I'm sure there are of plenty of things that can 3HKO Desukan, even without their abilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)