Collecting

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
This is just a fun little thread to talk about your experiences with collecting Pokémon merchandise, items and certain Pokémon themselves.

What sorts of things do people collect?

Who here was big into the Pokémon Trading Card Game when you were younger? Yes, all of you, I thought so. Who here tried or tries to "catch 'em all!" or "buy two copies of the same game so you can catch 'em all!"? Well that's pretty much Pokémon collecting. You're an extra big Pokémon collector if you still have things like event legendaries, Spiky-Eared Pichu or if you're planning to keep your brand new Helping Hands Vivillon! Do you also love comic books? You might be collecting Pokémon Manga! ...If you can read Japanese, anyway.

What else do you guys collect?

Why collect?

Well that's a good question. If you're big on collecting, why do you collect? I'm going to leave this one up to discussion! ^_^

So, everyone, enjoy! :)

So....Many.....Threads.........

I'm currently trying to collect every released non-legendary Hidden Ability. I'm extremely close to completion, but it's unfortunately come to a halt because my 3DS' charger port doesn't work and I have to work on getting a new 3DS and ugh.
I guess the reason I did it is, well... I'm actually not entirely sure it's one reason; there's a whole host. I might just like having every option available to me - because I'm sure those Gluttony Bellsprout and Keen Eye Drapion are going to come in handy - , I might just be some sort of completionist inside. But I guess one of the bigger reasons is that back when I was younger - like, 5 years ago 12-year-old-me younger - I had this sort of dream that because I had an Action Replay I could be kind and give people whatever they wanted. As the years progressed, I realized flaws in that, such as IVs and Natures not being able to be controlled by AR, the fact that it is basically just cheating, and that anyone seriously into the game is highly likely to have everything breedable and good anyway.
However, Hidden Abilities introduced a new challenge to the 'gotta catch 'em all' tagline; a new sort of challenge if you will - one I willingly accept. Sure, it's easy enough to catch 'em all by having a certain range of games and access to transfer and bank... I've personally been able to complete the dex in White, White 2 and Y with little trouble. Hidden Abilities, however, are a completely different story and a new way to collect - it's not even marked in-game so your completionist klepto side won't get irritated by not having them. But regardless, Hidden Abilities are very hard to collect because it requires collecting friend codes, searching through hordes, going through hidden grottos, hell, some of them aren't even available to you anymore because the Dream World has shut down. But the wonderful thing about this is that you're only able to complete your collection through help from friends and acquaintances. They're very rare and oftentimes you have to end up making deals and sacrifices for them. Their rarity makes them valuable and it just feels so great to get even just one new one, compared to how easy it was completing the dex normally. And then, it also fulfills my childhood dream - some of the best HAs are not easily obtainable, and that's where I can come in. Offering my help to people by giving them whatever HA they want, helping them out, while furthering my own collection if possible.
This is probably really clunkily worded and weirdly expressed but tl;dr - I collect HAs because I like having every option available to me, they're hard but not too hard to obtain, it strengthens connectivity with other players and it lets me fulfill my childhood dream of giving people rare Pokémon they want.

I collected them all. One copy of every pokemon (a living pokedex) ... Except about half the event 'mons. I started in Black version, when I decided to catch every new Gen V pokemon species I found. Eventually, I managed to collect all of the Unova pokes except for the white exclusives. The GTS helped a little with that.

When XY were released, I had already decided to do the same - collect every Kalos poke. However, it was so easy! Kalos had less than 100 pokemon. So I took it one step further - collect Gens 1-4 as well. Thankfully XY had a GIGANTIC pokedex which made it easy, plus I had a bunch of pokemon on my old versions of Pearl and Emerald I could transfer over (which takes forever when you're going from Gen 3. Thank Arceus for HGSS removing the once per day limit to pal park). Eventually after a heck of a lot of breeding, battling my rival & the restaurants, GTS trades, and plain-jane catching pokemon I had done it.

Now, my quest is to get more Vivillon forms, get the remaining event pokemon, and breed more competitive pokemon. I'm going slowly now - those goals don't motivate me nearly as much as the living pokedex quest. But I'm sure ORAS will revamp my fervor for collecting. :)

VIVILLONS
My butterflies are my pride and joy. I would make a Micro OM based on them if I had a good idea for it. Actually, maybe I will make one...

If only I coulf get my hands on that darned Poké Ball one!

Dude you really gotta stop making threads Well I like to collect HGSS TGC cards, and I don't know why. Probably because SS was the first game I ever completed the National Dex (not the Regional one though).

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is going to sound freakin' weird as shit but in Diamond when I was like 11 or 12 I collected Aerodactyl eggs for some unknown reason. I'd just put an Aerodactyl and Ditto in the day care and then ride my bike up and down all day until they made eggs. Then I'd just put all the eggs in a box called "Aero Eggs" and never hatch them. I must have had like twenty Aerodactyl eggs in there. I'm not sure what in the world I was doing that for. They're still there too, after all these years.

This is going to sound freakin' weird as shit but in Diamond when I was like 11 or 12 I collected Aerodactyl eggs for some unknown reason. I'd just put an Aerodactyl and Ditto in the day care and then ride my bike up and down all day until they made eggs. Then I'd just put all the eggs in a box called "Aero Eggs" and never hatch them. I must have had like twenty Aerodactyl eggs in there. Still not sure what in the world I was doing that for. They're still there too, after all these years.
Man if we're doing weird nostalgia collecting things we done as kids I've got my own little thing
In Yellow, as a kid, I always tried to catch every single Cubone and Marowak I could find. Out of this whole "I need to save them from extinction" ideal.

I like to collect fake Pokemon cards.

I get a kick out of how poorly translated they are. My pride and joy is a Roarke's Rampardos, it's translated perfectly, it's just that the picture and colour of the card is for Fantina's Mismagius.

I also collect and play the real cards too, but fake ones are fun for an entirely different, and entirely wrong reason reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)