Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 140 Def / 124 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn / Explosion / Superpower / Hidden Power Ice / Filler Move
- Stealth Rock

This is a good call for Blaziken, while it protects the team from Electric- , Fighting- and Poison-type attacks.
It's also a decent call vs setup sweepers such as Mega Mence, who can be a problem for the team. It set up rocks and offer some speed control.

The spread is meant to make it as bulky as possible. The speed is to be faster than Jolly Mega Mence after a Rock Tomb.

-1 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Landorus-T: 76-90 (38.7 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Blaziken: 188-224 (121.2 - 144.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
I'm still going to be sticking to my guns with Sash Mamoswine from the last round of nominations. I still believe it does an adequate job at checking a bunch of the threats cant say listed between EQ and Icicle Crash, followed up by Ice Shard if needed.

If cant say lists it on the next round, I would slash Icicle Crash alongside Icicle Spear, in case you need some Sash breaking over the power of Icicle Crash.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ok so I still feel like more terrain control is a good idea, especially now that Gyarados is packing Earthquake. Someone also brought up the Greninja weakness, which I feel like we should address, so here's my nom for this round:

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn

While this is a bulky team, I feel like a fast pivot would be beneficial to help manage certain offensive mons, like the aforementioned Greninja, and to generally give the team some speed as and when it might be needed. This Tapu Koko set will be able to deal with some of the Dragons and Flying-types that give this team trouble so far, including Mega Salamence, Mega Charizard Y, Garchomp, and Celesteela. Hidden Power [Fire] is useful for weakening Ferrothorn in Heatran-unfriendly matchups. The item choice is fairly open here, with Z-moves for both STABs being viable as well as Choice items, but Life Orb is the most splashable for now so that should be fine. Nomming Tapu Koko would be beneficial for any Ground-types that we nominate in the future (and I strongly believe we should) in that it helps Bulu beat down Rain teams and cope with Flying-types, so I feel like it's a strong nomination that we should definitely consider :)

Crobat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leech Life
- Brave Bird
- Poison Fang
- Zen Headbutt/U-turn
The two main threats I have seen listed are mega Blaziken and greninja. crobat covers both. infiltrator gets by both of their substitute sets, out speeds +1 mega Blazekin, and non ash-greninja, and hits both for super effective damage. The zen headbutt is there as an option to hit mega Blazekin super effectively with out taking recoil and coverage but I prefer U-turn slightly

Since we have FWG, we may as well shove a dragon in here for fairy/steel/dragon. Mega Mence can check most Blaziken, and I have always wanted to try a mixed set to lure Celesteela. At this point, we would have 2 basically interchangeable megas, which is really nice.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Attachments

Last edited:

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge Ice Beam
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Toxic

Porygon2 completes the BuluTran tank core. Discharge hits things like Celes with a nice chance to para. Foul Play is chosen over Ice Beam to better deal with setup sweepers like Mimikyu and Zard-X. Recover is mandatory and Toxic rounds off the set nicely. You can play around the Blaziken threat by landing a Toxic, then switching between BuluTran (Tran on the FB, Bulu/Protect on the HJK, etc). I used to have Trace but GE convinced me otherwise because Analytic guarantees the OHKO on Mimikyu at +2 while non-Analytic variants will have to rely on a low roll.

EDIT: OK

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Toxic

Porygon2 completes the BuluTran tank core. Discharge hits things like Celes with a nice chance to para. Foul Play is chosen over Ice Beam to better deal with setup sweepers like Mimikyu and Zard-X. Recover is mandatory and Toxic rounds off the set nicely. You can play around the Blaziken threat by landing a Toxic, then switching between BuluTran (Tran on the FB, Bulu/Protect on the HJK, etc). I used to have Trace but GE convinced me otherwise because Analytic guarantees the OHKO on Mimikyu at +2 while non-Analytic variants will have to rely on a low roll.
I'm a big fan of this suggestion, but I think we really need Ice Beam on the set over Discharge since Mence is currently a way bigger threat than Celesteela which we at least have Heatran for currently.

However another mon weak to Blaziken may not be the best choice so i'm torn on what i'll vote for when that starts.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Discharge Ice Beam
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Toxic

EDIT: OK
I basically use this exact Porygon2 and it's pretty great, but why did you go for Analytic instead of Download? Do you just like Analytic's general reliability?

I basically use this exact Porygon2 and it's pretty great, but why did you go for Analytic instead of Download? Do you just like Analytic's general reliability?
Reliability yeah but especially reliability on a boosted Foul Play is much appreciated imo. At least on my best run on cart the almost secure boost on foul play has helped me win a lot of scenarios :)

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
So with Mega Gyarados the team has a really strong defensive core with a good amount of offensive pressure. The team still lacks speed and depends on Rock Tomb and Dragon Dance to make up for it, so it's natural that the main concern people would point out is fast offensive Pokemon like Blaziken and Greninja. I think it makes sense to add something that can check at least two of Blaziken, Greninja and Mega Salamence. Scarf Tapu Lele sounds promising and synergizes very well with Mega Gyarados offensively, but Mega Blaziken and +1 Salamence shut that down and this core wants something more consistent against that. Scarf Greninja also beats Blaziken and Mega Salamence but that's not exactly the safest pick. I like the look of Rotom-W here but for the sake of consistency I'll go with Mimikyu.

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak

Nobody has nominated Mimikyu for any this round yet so I'll be the first. Mimikyu often feels like a lazy way to check a number of threats so this might be a stronger nomination in a later round once the team is developed a bit more, but I think nominating it now is good for letting us gauge whether or not the team feels like it needs Mimikyu now or if it can be saved for later. That being said Mimikyu is also just a very consistent answer to the aforementioned threats that also synergizes nicely with Mega Gyarados, so I think it at least deserves a mention. I prefer Ghostium Z in general but I think Fairium Z would fit here better to hit Salamence harder, that can also be changed at a later stage if needed.

Last edited:
So with Mega Gyarados the team has a really strong defensive core with a good amount of offensive pressure. The team still lacks speed and depends on Rock Tomb and Dragon Dance to make up for it, so it's natural that the main concern people would point out is fast offensive Pokemon like Blaziken and Greninja. I think it makes sense to add something that can check at least two of Blaziken, Greninja and Mega Salamence. Scarf Tapu Lele sounds promising and synergizes very well with Mega Gyarados offensively, but Mega Blaziken and +1 Salamence shut that down and this core wants something more consistent against that. Scarf Greninja also beats Blaziken and Mega Salamence but that's not exactly the safest pick. I like the look of Rotom-W here but for the sake of consistency I'll go with Mimikyu.

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak

Nobody has nominated Mimikyu for any round yet so I'll be the first. Mimikyu often feels like a lazy way to check a number of threats so this might be a stronger nomination in a later round once the team is developed a bit more, but I think nominating it now is good for letting us gauge whether or not the team feels like it needs Mimikyu now or if it can be saved for later. That being said Mimikyu is also just a very consistent answer to the aforementioned threats that also synergizes nicely with Mega Gyarados, so I think it at least deserves a mention. I prefer Ghostium Z in general but I think Fairium Z would fit here better to hit Salamence harder, that can also be changed at a later stage if needed.
I nominated Mimikyu last round.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Time for voting! Here's our options for pairing with Bulu/Tran/Gyara:
Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 88 SpA / 20 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast / Toxic
- Cotton Guard
- Roost

I just made this set up, it could be bad. The EV spread ensures that you live an unboosted Double-Edge from adamant Mega Salamence, Cotton Guard, live the second Double-Edge and Roost back. The SpD is so we aren't 2HKOed by Charizard Y but that doesn't really matter if we aren't using Toxic. It may be better to use Fire Blast and dump more EVs into SpA because Heatran usually walls Charizard Y anyway. Cotton Guard is so sick because you outboost even Swords Dance users so they don't overwhelm you. The thought process behind Cloud Nine is we can take less damage when switching into Charizard Y, but doesn't benefit us against Excadrill / Swampert / Kingdra so it may be worth using Natural Cure as a status absorber if needed.
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Mega Altaria: 108-127 (59.3 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. +3 252 HP / 148+ Def Mega Altaria: 43-52 (23.6 - 28.5%) -- 96.5% chance to 4HKO
88 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 156-186 (91.2 - 108.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Mega Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Mega Altaria: 52-62 (28.5 - 34%) -- 1.4% chance to 3HKO
88 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blaziken: 85-102 (54.8 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Mega Altaria in Sun: 76-90 (41.7 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Mega Altaria: 76-90 (41.7 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Cresselia @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 236 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Toxic / Thunder Wave / Lunar Dance / Trick Room
- Moonlight

As it stands now, the team is very weak to Mega Blaziken, and has a hard time dealing with some boosted threats, like Mega Salamence. Cresselia is a realiable answer to both, having the bulk to take them on. Moves are very standard, and the choice of the filler move comes down to preference. Toxic and Thunder Wave both cripple the opposing mon, Lunar Dance can be used to bring a partner back from the brink after the opposing team has been weakened to finish its job, and Trick Room can be used against offensive teams to turn their speed against them.

The EV spread aims to be as bulky as possible while also trying to get the jump on Tapu Fini, so you can get your support moves or recovery off before its Taunt.
EVs: 244 HP / 140 Def / 124 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn / Explosion / Superpower / Hidden Power Ice / Filler Move
- Stealth Rock

This is a good call for Blaziken, while it protects the team from Electric- , Fighting- and Poison-type attacks.
It's also a decent call vs setup sweepers such as Mega Mence, who can be a problem for the team. It set up rocks and offer some speed control.

The spread is meant to make it as bulky as possible. The speed is to be faster than Jolly Mega Mence after a Rock Tomb.

-1 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 140+ Def Landorus-T: 76-90 (38.7 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Blaziken: 188-224 (121.2 - 144.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard / Superpower / Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock / Ice Shard

Alright so out of every threat listed by cant say, Mamoswine takes care of at least 3/4 of them between Icicle Crash and Earthquake by itself. Slap a Focus Sash on it to make sure it lives a hit.

You can either set Rocks and let it eat up your Sash, or try to nuke the Pokemon, let it also eat your Sash, and follow up with Ice Shard on the next turn for almost guaranteed OHKO just about every single time.

Although it may seem counter-intuitive to run Earthquake, you can bring it as a lead or on the tail end of Bulu's terrain to play around G.Terrain softening Earthquake.

The first move for each slashed spot is my recommended move for the set, although they can be toyed around with. Superpower can be used to hit Ferrothorn, opposing Mamoswine, and Tyranitar harder. Stone Edge can be run to guarantee OHKOes on Volcarona or predicted Charzard Y and hit non-Mega Gyarados harder. Otherwise run Ice Shard.

And if Sash is more important on another teammate, you can opt to run Orb or Scarf instead.
Ok so I still feel like more terrain control is a good idea, especially now that Gyarados is packing Earthquake. Someone also brought up the Greninja weakness, which I feel like we should address, so here's my nom for this round:

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn

While this is a bulky team, I feel like a fast pivot would be beneficial to help manage certain offensive mons, like the aforementioned Greninja, and to generally give the team some speed as and when it might be needed. This Tapu Koko set will be able to deal with some of the Dragons and Flying-types that give this team trouble so far, including Mega Salamence, Mega Charizard Y, Garchomp, and Celesteela. Hidden Power [Fire] is useful for weakening Ferrothorn in Heatran-unfriendly matchups. The item choice is fairly open here, with Z-moves for both STABs being viable as well as Choice items, but Life Orb is the most splashable for now so that should be fine. Nomming Tapu Koko would be beneficial for any Ground-types that we nominate in the future (and I strongly believe we should) in that it helps Bulu beat down Rain teams and cope with Flying-types, so I feel like it's a strong nomination that we should definitely consider :)
Crobat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Leech Life
- Brave Bird
- Poison Fang
- Zen Headbutt/U-turn
The two main threats I have seen listed are mega Blaziken and greninja. crobat covers both. infiltrator gets by both of their substitute sets, out speeds +1 mega Blazekin, and non ash-greninja, and hits both for super effective damage. The zen headbutt is there as an option to hit mega Blazekin super effectively with out taking recoil and coverage but I prefer U-turn slightly
Since we have FWG, we may as well shove a dragon in here for fairy/steel/dragon. Mega Mence can check most Blaziken, and I have always wanted to try a mixed set to lure Celesteela. At this point, we would have 2 basically interchangeable megas, which is really nice.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Discharge Ice Beam
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Toxic

So with Mega Gyarados the team has a really strong defensive core with a good amount of offensive pressure. The team still lacks speed and depends on Rock Tomb and Dragon Dance to make up for it, so it's natural that the main concern people would point out is fast offensive Pokemon like Blaziken and Greninja. I think it makes sense to add something that can check at least two of Blaziken, Greninja and Mega Salamence. Scarf Tapu Lele sounds promising and synergizes very well with \Mega Gyarados offensively, but Mega Blaziken and +1 Salamence shut that down and this core wants something more consistent against that. Scarf Greninja also beats Blaziken and Mega Salamence but that's not exactly the safest pick. I like the look of Rotom-W here but for the sake of consistency I'll go with Mimikyu.

Mimikyu @ Fairium Z
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak

Nobody has nominated Mimikyu for any this round yet so I'll be the first. Mimikyu often feels like a lazy way to check a number of threats so this might be a stronger nomination in a later round once the team is developed a bit more, but I think nominating it now is good for letting us gauge whether or not the team feels like it needs Mimikyu now or if it can be saved for later. That being said Mimikyu is also just a very consistent answer to the aforementioned threats that also synergizes nicely with Mega Gyarados, so I think it at least deserves a mention. I prefer Ghostium Z in general but I think Fairium Z would fit here better to hit Salamence harder, that can also be changed at a later stage if needed.

-------------------------

Put your vote in bold and try to explain why you like it

I'm going with ThickFatAzumarill's Cresselia this week. It provides the physical bulk this team currently lacks, pairs fantastically with Heatran, and adds a solid option against Mega Blaziken. I really liked p2 at first but having 3-4 mons scared of Blaziken was a little too much for my liking.

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Solerme's Landorus

Even though I like Mimikyu a lot, it relies too much on its Disguise to check things, and that doesn't go well with BuluTran, as it's a more defensive core, meaning that Mimikyu has a hard time getting on the field safely. I feel like it's a great addition to the team though, just not this early.

Last edited:
Psynergy's offensive mimikyu
Mimikyu basically checks a ton of sweepers by its ability. I would have preferred Jolly for determining whether Lele is the opposing scarfer easily, but I can see why Adamant would be used.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Fire Fist Ace's Sash Mamoswine

We need a good Ground-type right now because Nasty Plot Thundurus-T puts us on our asses, and things like Nihilego aren't fun to run into either. Salamence isn't much less of a threat now as when we started so I feel like Mamoswine is a good pick.

Psynergy's Mimikyu
Very good glue mon and emergency check to a variety of setup pokemon which threaten the current 3.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Going with ThickFatAzumarill's Cresselia since it's easily the strongest defensive answer to Blaziken barring Mega Latias and also checks Mega Salamence very nicely. It also sets up a potential secondary TR mode if we want to go that route. I'd probably prefer if the 3rd move didn't have other options slashed but I'm assuming Thunder Wave or Lunar Dance unless we decide to add a Heracross or Mawile later. Greninja is annoying but it's too weak to OHKO all three of the current mons and needs Grass Knot to truly threaten Mega Gyarados, so a not-so-major Greninja weakness is fine if it means covering Blaziken well.

Solerme's Landorus

If you're going to be building a semi-stall team then you need rocks and a secondary check to blaze which deals with t-punch variants. I think lando fills that role perfectly with some secondary like dealing with t-punch charX and mimkyu.

cant say's Mega Altaria

Good check to Mega-Blaze and Mega-Mence. From my experience once Altaria sets up Cotton Guard it can pretty much wall every physical attacker. Plus its nice to have a Steel/Fairy/Dragon core to compliment our FWG core.

ThickFatAzumarill's Cresselia

Good answer to a variety of threats to the team's main core, especially Blaziken and Salamence as mentioned multiple times above. Also works excellently with Heatran in particular as can't say noted. I also echo TFA's point that while Mimikyu is a superb choice and Disguise is broken, it doesn't pair quite as well with a core that likes to switch around as much as BuluTran as it does with more offensive teams where sacrificing a Pokémon early-mid game for momentum is less of a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)