Comprehensive list of pre-existing move/ability/mechanic changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If TWave hits Ground-types, then Flygon is screwed. In DP, he was able to switch in on that and proceed to scout the foes out. Now TWave usage shall rise if this is true and Jolteon and any other pokes with Volt Absorb should see more usage. Again only if it is true.
Thunder Wave does not hit Ground-types.

I saw this from Veekun: http://sync.in/black-and-white-changes

If all of these are true...

Magic Coat will now work on: Whirlwind, Roar, Disable, Spite, Spikes, Foresight, Encore, Torment, Taunt, Odor Sleuth, Miracle Eye, Embargo, Heal Block, Toxic Spikes, Defog, and Stealth Rock

Hail now multiplies the power of Ice-type moves by 1.5 and boosts Ice type Pokemon's Defense by 1.5., like Sandstorm does for the Special Defense of Rock-types.

Wrap, Whirlpool, etc. now last 5–6 turns instead of 2–5
Not really sure what to think; someone who tested Hail reported that there was no change. If these are real, they are some amazing buffs. Magic Coat would be an incredible lead move.

Hmm...everything else has been right from Veekun so far(move names, ability names, buffs from past gen moves like Uproar, etc). Perhaps Hail needs to tested once again.

I've been trying to find out what's been tested and what hasn't; I think Magic Coat is confirmed but Hail isn't.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hail now multiplies the power of Ice-type moves by 1.5 and boosts Ice type Pokemon's Defense by 1.5., like Sandstorm does for the Special Defense of Rock-types.
WTF? That is gonna make Stallrein even more of a monster. He is just gonna stall you out if you more can't even hit him with Fighting Moves. Throw everything else into HP and SDef. Every weather got buffed and now they are all going to just compete with one another. Ouch.

I think the Hail part should be taken with a grain of salt until it's tested more... stellar said he tested it and didn't see any defense/power boosts... Magic Coat looks like it completely destroys every lead strategy though, reflecting Taunt, every entry hazard, every status condition, and outspeeding everything.

WTF? That is gonna make Stallrein even more of a monster. He is just gonna stall you out if you more can't even hit him with SE T-Bolts. Throw everything else into HP and Def. Every weather got buffed and now they are all going to just compete with one another. Ouch.
Regice is much, much scarier now that it has Ice Body. 80/100/200 defenses, and in Hail he gets 1.5x Defense? Well-nigh unbreakable. Also has slightly better SpA and access to BoltBeam, so he can't be set up on.

Wow, Magic Coat is going to screw up suicide leads even more than we thought Aiming Mark would (BTW, did anyone test this yet?). Is that effect atleast confirmed because I think someone should look into what useful Pokemon get it.

Edit: Here's a list of all the Pokemon that can get Magic Coat. The ones that are bolded are ones that I think could make good leads.

Code:
Level Up:

Porygon2
[B]Porygon-Z[/B]
Grumpig
Lopunny

Breeding:

Girafarig
Dunsparce
Kecleon
[B]Absol[/B]
[B]Mushurna[/B]

4th Gen only:

[B]Abomasnow[/B]
[B]Alakazam[/B]
[B]Ambipom[/B]
[B]Arceus[/B]
[B]Azelf[/B]
Banette
Blaziken
Cacturne
Chatot
Clefable
[B]Cresselia[/B]
[B]Gengar[/B]
Giratina
[B]Giratina-O[/B]
Golduck
Hariyama
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
[B]Hitmontop[/B]
Houndoom
Hypno
[B]Infernape[/B]
Jynx
Latias
[B]Lucario[/B]
Machamp
Medicham
Mesprit
[B]Mew[/B]
[B]Mewtwo[/B]
Mr. Mime
Ninetails (If only it could use this with Drought. T-T)
Primeape
Spinda
Stantler
Sudowoodo
Tauros
Toxicroak
Uxie
Wigglytuff

So far we've had rumors of Aiming Mark, Defog, and this screwing up entry hazards. Out of all three, I think this would be the best for stall; the other two were basically unstoppable ways of removing layers, while this only really shuts down suicide leads, and stall will still be able to lay stuff on switches.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/magic_coat

The only new Magic Coat user is Musharna, I think.

^Really only if you have zero options for your ability. Ambipom will still use Technician, Linoon will still use Gluttony.

Pointing out that Chillarmy and its evo get Technician, Bullet Seed, and Rock Blast, not to mention Doubleslap. I'm not 100% on the mechanics, but 185 BP Rock and Grass moves off a 95 Attack would be fairly scary.
Yeah. But at least Pachirisu now has an ability that can possibly to something in battle lol. Although PickUp was always superior to Run Away anyway. edit: Oh wait, Pachirisu can get Volt Absorb now.

Sweep Slap > Doubleslap

for all we know, Run away could allow you to switch 100% of the time now, which could actually be pretty useful...

Yes, it has. I know that for a fact. I have used many times a Scarf Cloyster lead for the lulz, and Icicle Spear and Rock Blast do indeed break through Sash on the first hit. This was the leading cause of ragequits against me at one point.

Unless of course it was a bug in Shoddy Battle, in which case I concede the point.

I'm going to go find my Platinum and test this now.
That is a bug on Shoddy, from my knowledge, it does not work in game.

Also, the Hail thing and the Thunder Wave thing are confirmed to be nothing more than rumours.

The OP needs to be updated. People are going to get very confused when the see that Thunderwave hits ground pokemon when it actually doesn't.

also, Pickup should be listed. I have strong suspicions that Stench and illuminate do other stuff too.

I'm pretty sure that I've heard that Volt Absorb/Lightningrod Pokemon can now be paralyzed by TWave. Ground types are still immune though.
Not sure if this was cleared up elsewhere, but after checking it out myself I can say with certainty that it is not true. T-Wave doesn't affect anything immune to electricity in any form.

Not sure if this was cleared up elsewhere, but after checking it out myself I can say with certainty that it is not true. T-Wave doesn't affect anything immune to electricity in any form.
This directly conflicts with this post:

Just got paralyzed by Thunder Wave, with my Zebra-lightning thing. It's only abilities are LightningRod and Volt Absorb, so...
So Seriin, would you mind telling us how you tested it (what Pokemon were involved, etc.)? The Shimama line only has Lightningrod and Motor Drive, so there is a possibility that Motor Drive and Volt Absorb retain their immunity against Thunder Wave from Gen 4 and Lightningrod is still susceptible to it, but we need more info.

My Shimama-evo used thunderwave on another Shimama-evo, and it didn't connect, instead I got the ability pop-up and then saw the stat boost.

If someone saw the contrary, then it could vary depending on the ability. I'll go try it until I see both abilities pop up, and then I'll edit with the results.

EDIT: Got the boost for both Lightningrod and Motor Drive. Zebra v Zebra, mine used Thunderwave: Ability Activated: Lightningrod, Sp.A increased. Used T-wave a second a third time to confirm, then fled the battle. Next battle, same set up, only this time the opponent has Motor Drive. T-Wave increased his speed each time I used it.

I don't have a pokemon to test Volt Absorb with however.

So you're absolutely sure you're using Thunder Wave and not Thundershock or something? If so, then I guess the other user confused Static with Thunder Wave, which does hit through type and ability. Not that surprising really.

So you're absolutely sure you're using Thunder Wave and not Thundershock or something? If so, then I guess the other user confused Static with Thunder Wave, which does hit through type and ability. Not that surprising really.
I can confirm that it doesnt work on Lightingrod, I took video of it but dont know if I can post a link here I only lurk here on smogon.
I did it twice to a lightingrod zebra and both times it boosted its S atk and didnt paralyze it.

If you put it up on youtube and link it that's fine. It'd be nice to have some hard evidence for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)