Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

This could in 2 ways:

First one:

Not couting red Gyarados, Tentacool in Emerald, I was like "omfg! A SHINY... is a tentacool!" I was a little upset, because I don't like much water pokemon, but whatever I catch it... the next pokemon that I faced was ANOTHER SHINY TENTACOOL, I laugh for an hour and half I catch it too, a year later I gift one of them to one of my friends.

Was amaizing, funny and emotive at the same time... in none of the next games I faced a Shiny...

The second one:

Was when I was playing Crystal and my brother was playing Gold, later he suddenly said:

"Sam! Look this Slowpoke looks different! I don't want to lose it! Sam catch it for me! Please!" then I catch it and he was very happy, because he got his rare slowpoke, he never use it because he fear that the slowpoke will decide run away or something. Hahaha, kids.

My first memory of Pokemon is back when I was around 5 and my friend gave me a GBA for my birthday. Since I never had anything like it before, it was pretty awesome. He also gave me a game: Pokemon Gold. I tried playing it but I had absolutely no idea what I was doing; I thought it was more like Mario (I used to reset every time I encountered a wild mon since I thought I had broke it). So the first time I played Pokemon and had a clue was a few years later, when I got Sapphire. It had the first Pokemon I ever raised to level 100, Sceptile.

My first encounter with a shiny was... um... wait red gyarados and Benga's gible don't count... I've never encountered a random shiny. Ever. Through all my 10 years (and presumably more than 8192 encounters) of playing Pokemon.

I began pokemon with Yellow, but never got into it until Silver/Gold/Crystal. I must have played those games at least 20 times each back when I was a youngster. Each time I climbed Mt Silver and beat Red I restarted the game. Anyway, to get to the point, I always caught Red Gyarados but never realized "shines" existed. Fast forward to Gen 4, I don't like Sinnoh as much but then learn that Gold and Silver are being remade. HOLY COW!!!! I find the Serebii website and learn the mechanics of the game, what shinies are, etc.

Eventually I get into the competitive aspect, playing Shoddy Battle here (losing most of the time, wondering why Articuno and the Regis are in NU). I decide to take the battle tower challenge in HGSS, and EV train (for the first time in my life). I pick a Larvitar to EV train in attack and HP. I read that the water Route near the power plant is 100% confirmed to have Goldeen or Seaking, which give attack EVs.

I'm on vacation with my dad, and we're driving to the hotel. I'm grinding through Goldeen thinking this is sooooo boooring. Suddenly, sparkles appear on my screen. This Goldeen isn't red, it's actually GOLD. I squeal in delight, and choose not to risk an attack. I've saved my Master Ball for an occasion like this. I haven't seen a random shiny since (Gible/Dratini & Haxorus in BW2 was pathetic, shinies are supposed to be rare). However, I am now the proud owner of a level 10 shiny Goldeen, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
My first shiny pokemon was a Venonat I encountered on Route 25. It was the most adorable Venonat :3. I trained it and evolved it and used it in a few battles. Unfortunately I traded it away for some pokemon i dont even remember on a trading website ;_;

My first experience with pokemon was an interesting one. I was about 4 and my family was coming home from a vacation at Christmas time. Me and my older brother and sister all got Gameboy Colors, except they both got Pokemon Crystal, and I got Stuart Little. While on the plane my Gameboy was stolen (it was in my suitcase). I remember never actually liking Stuart Little and wishing I could play pokemon. When we got home my parents bought me a new Gameboy, but this time with Pokemon Yellow. Ever since then I have played pokemon. I have a game from every generation and love them all. Although Gen 6 does sound exciting I still enjoy the classics a lot.

Another weird thing about me and pokemon is that my family bought a whole bunch of Pokemon VHS's and had almost every one. We always woke up early to watch the anime anyway, even though we had most of the episodes. Then a couple years ago my sister threw out all our VHS's without telling anyone. Needless to say I was furious. And just a couple months ago I ordered all the 1st season on DVD and it's awesome watching the classics. I won't let my sister throw out them this time xD

As for shinies I never actually knew what they were. My sister caught a Blue Ghastly, and I always caught the red Gyarados, but never knew why they looked a different colour. Then when we found out they were rare we were searching for them like no other. Eventually my brother found a green Tentacool, but my sister was so angry that she didn't find one first she hit my brothers Gameboy and froze it. The shinies I've caught are Machop and Kyerum.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Very nice posts from everyone so far!

Day 3: How close have you come to "catching 'em all"?

This can be with respect to any game (gen 1 to gen 5).

If there is a particular topic you would like to discuss in the days to come, just leave me a profile message and I'll most likely use it!

i've caught em all in every game except gen 1 and 2 games. counting emerald even though i dont have access to celebi, deoxys and mew in gen 3.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Man I totally missed out on day 1 and 2, but I'll be here for the rest of the countdown.

In Pokemon Diamond, I collected 419 Pokemon. That's as close as it got for me. 400+ hours in that game. It was a lot of my life during 4th gen.

I caught them all on Pokémon Yellow...well, that wasn't such a difficult task, it was pokémania time so it was rather easy to find someone in the school having Red/Blue and trade. I don't remember how I had Mew, probably it was obtained through the now well known glitch and then cloned and traded around.
After that I stopped playing pokémon for quite a long time, I actually play almost only on emulators and the best I have is 458/493 in Platinum...now that I think about it, I probably didn't obtain everything I could with Pal Park :L

I completed the Pokédex in Red by trading with my friends, and in Yellow without trading with the help of the Ditto/Mew Glitch. I got close in Silver with 245 caught Pokémon (none of my friends had Gold/Crystal). After what felt like years, I managed to complete the National Dex in Fire Red and Emerald. After Gen 3, I can't even come close to completing the Pokédex. There's just too many for me to get at this point. I guess that's why Gen 3 dropped the slogan.

I remember. Getting dpearl and trainning just my empoleon and it was level 80 when I beat the elite four. good times.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have never been able to catch them all, mainly because I just catch what I want to use and I don't really care much for 100% completion. I did complete my Pokedex on FireRed with an Action Replay though! (This just listed all Pokemon in the PokeDex as caught, I did not actually give myself every Pokemon)

About 200/251 in my old silver version. Cant remember what i was missing now...

I saw 150/151 on red once. Turns out only way to see a damned golem is to trade and i cant trade my old games

Day 3: How close have you come to "catching 'em all"?

Pfft I'm still working on it. It's partly why I came here actually because I wanted to get all the events that I missed out on. I'm nearly there btw -I only have like four more event pokemon to collect and I'm done.

I legitimately caught 149 in Blue Version back in the day, before GSC. Two were missing: Primeape and Mew.

I got busy. And then, my Game Boy Pocket got damaged badly; it was the batteries, quite literally exploding in my hands, but Nintendo of America's amazing customer service told me they'd replace my GBP for free anyway, as well as fix the game that had been inside of it (the explosion had damaged multiple things. thankfully, not my fingers - they got weird acid on them but I washed it off quick before it was a problem.) Well, I got the game and GBP back, but the save wasn't recoverable. Boo.

Sometime later, after GSC had come out, I picked up Red to get more TMs from backtrading, but the game just didn't work anymore. The battery backup went kaput. So I called Nintendo up, they of course offered to replace it for free, and they asked me how far I'd gotten. I said, truthfully, I didn't remember; I had a lot of pokemon, including Mew on it at that point, but the number of gyms I was on when I'd last quit and all that, I couldn't remember at all. I got back a save with 8 Badges and 151 Pokemon. They had a bunch of funny names in their boxes.

The closest I've ever gotten since was 411 out of 493 in HG/SS, and I didn't try at all in BW/2. Too many now. Too much of pain. Just not worth it.

Playing on an Emulator sucks when you don't want to use cheats lol. So no owning all the starters. I probably caught more Pokemon on my first (newbish) run, but in my second run of Emerald i only caught what i would train - the opposite of Catchin' 'Em All so my Pokemon wouldn't end up underlevelled like my first run.

I got every Pokemon using legit means, took more time than I'd like to admit but I can't wait to get started on the new ones.

I never tried to catch 'em all until BW, and then only "kind of". Since BW convienently had no old pokemon in the routes, I decided to try and catch one of every single Unova pokemon. I couldn't finish until I picked up Black 2, though I still missed Thunderus. Finally the GTS pulled through with one that seemed legit (it activated the Landorus event, at least), and I now have a single copy of all Unova pokemon, ready to transfer to XY.

I plan to catch all regional pokemon each new game I play, so theoretically with potential remakes and such by Gen 8 I'll have finally caught 'em all. If only all 700+ pokemon could be caught in a single game ... the events are just insane, I've missed so many of them. Mew should be encounterable in-game by now, and only the "new" Mirage Legendaries should be event-only. But I digress. :)

Sometime later, after GSC had come out, I picked up Red to get more TMs from backtrading, but the game just didn't work anymore. The battery backup went kaput. So I called Nintendo up, they of course offered to replace it for free, and they asked me how far I'd gotten. I said, truthfully, I didn't remember; I had a lot of pokemon, including Mew on it at that point, but the number of gyms I was on when I'd last quit and all that, I couldn't remember at all. I got back a save with 8 Badges and 151 Pokemon. They had a bunch of funny names in their boxes.
you know, I dealt with Pokemon customer service when I was little too, but I couldn't tell you why i was doing so lol. In my reply letter though, i got a little poster with a bunch of pokemon on it, signed by a bunch of employees. i still have it in my room, though it's taped to my wall and i'm afraid to move it. even if they weren't people directly involved in making the games, having a poster signed by people that worked at nintendo was something beyond cool for a ~10 year old. maybe i should google/facebook some of their names to try to find out who they are...

My first memory of pokemon was getting both games for my original gameboy, i gave red to my sister as i never really stopped playing blue. I chose my Squirtle and managed to raise him a lot faster than the rest of my team, the elite 4 were a bitch to do after that :(.
I first encountered a shiny Heracross in silver when i was headbutting trees with my Eevee, unfortunately i ran out of pokeballs and he got away. The next shiny was the red Gyarados and then a shiny Tentacool on sapphire.
I've never caught em all, i did however start my blue version again to get a new eevee to trade to my sister so she could get a Vaporeon and thus complete her pokedex, when i found out all you got was a certificate i wasn't too impressed..

The closest I ever came to catching them all was when I bought a used copy of Platinum that had 493 caught.

If I had to guess it would most likely be second Gen. My interest to Pokemon sort of dropped after 4th Gen started and I only returned for 5th Gen and filled out the older games later, and at that point, I really never aimed to collect them all. I generally catch what I want to use, and then limited/rare stuff. X and Y might have me collecting more though, since we don't know everything beforehand.

In Emerald though, I boasted a full collection of legendaries thanks to an old friend of mine that had connections to get the Event Pokemon we never got back then.

I've never caught them all. I prefer battling and training up lots of Pokemon. Ain't nobody got time for that:p

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I filled the Kanto dex in FireRed (Including a Mew I picked up from an event), and trained all of them to lvl 50 or higher. Quite a few were ditched the second they reached 50, though.

Other than that, I've never gone for dex filling. By every generation, the task gets more and more tedious.

I nearly have the National Dex filled in Emerald; I'm not sure why I haven't just gone back and finished it already, though.

To answer the previous questions, since I missed them:
Day 1: My first memory of Pokémon is Pokémon Yellow (it and Red given to me by an older sibling who lost interest in Pokémon); when I started to play it, Gen 3 hadn't started yet, and I knew nothing of the Gen 2 games (I had a wonderful time with Crystal later, although I digress), so I played it quite a lot. If I recall correctly, my older brother (not the one who had given me the games) helped me with it, but I just had to do it myself, so, for some time, I was stuck in an endless cycle of "Get to Cerulean City, Get Stuck, Restart Game, etc." until I finally figured out what to do (even now, I find Cerulean City to be a rather disorienting city! :p).
Another thing I remember is trying to evolve Kakuna and Metapod at the same time while on the S.S. Anne (I also did that in LeafGreen). Good times.

Day 2: My first experience with a shiny Pokémon was with a shiny Graveler in the Magma Hideout. I was exploring the area to try and find some mysterious hidden secrets I had possibly missed before, and was heading toward the stairs (in Room 7), and... BAM! Shiny Graveler encounter! I was so fascinated with it; of course, I knew it was different... it was a secret I was looking for, and I had to catch it...! SelfDestruct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)