Crabrawler, Crabominable Discussion

Aside from the obvious uses of Hyper Cutter and Iron Fist, Anger Point could be used as a gimmicky Doubles strat similar to Beat Up + Justified, especially since it resists Frost Breath.

Also, I'd like to point out that this thing learns Bubble and Bubble Beam, but not Crabhammer.

EDIT: Crabrawler learns Crabhammer. Derp.

Last edited:
Yikes, that speed is really gonna hurt this thing's viability.
Aside from the obvious uses of Hyper Cutter and Iron Fist, Anger Point could be used as a gimmicky Doubles strat similar to Beat Up + Justified, especially since it resists Frost Breath.

Also, I'd like to point out that this thing learns Bubble and Bubble Beam, but not Crabhammer.
Its pre-evolution learns Crabhammer though.

Some of you may already know, but it seems that many of these Pokémon were created for in-game purposes, rather than competitive battling. It doesn't help that Game Freak hates Ice-types (not from Sinnoh), either. Crabomniable is one of them.
They're really hammering in this anti-competitive thing aren't they? Dismantling priority, pretty much making every mon slow (the speed deductions via evolution is ridiculous), and nerfing mons like Darkrai, Talonflame, and Gengar (why tho).

They're really hammering in this anti-competitive thing aren't they? Dismantling priority, pretty much making every mon slow (the speed deductions via evolution is ridiculous), and nerfing mons like Darkrai, Talonflame, and Gengar (why tho).
No one should even be crying about Darkrai losing its AoE sleep's reliability. That shit was waaay too good in multi battles. Gengar has been a staple for so long. I think a minor nerf won't hurt him. And talon's existence made several Pokemon useless. Like hawlucha.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The "abominable" part of its name is a reference to its BST and typing. I'm actually struggling to put my sheer disappointment with this thing into words.

Some of you may already know, but it seems that many of these Pokémon were created for in-game purposes, rather than competitive battling. It doesn't help that Game Freak hates Ice-types (not from Sinnoh), either. Crabomniable is one of them.
Slow speed makes it harder to succeed in-game since the goal in single player is to outspeed and one shot everything. This seems like a very obvious effort to "tone down" gen VII Pokemon and avoid making OP Pokemon like Talonflame, but their approach is incredibly bad.

The "abominable" part of its name is a reference to its BST and typing. I'm actually struggling to put my sheer disappointment with this thing into words.

Slow speed makes it harder to succeed in-game since the goal in single player is to outspeed and one shot everything. This seems like a very obvious effort to "tone down" gen VII Pokemon and avoid making OP Pokemon like Talonflame, but their approach is incredibly bad.
They saw Aegislash and Tanlonflame and went "Okay, now to the left!"

More they're focusing on the doubles scene as the competitive standard. This has been a theme for the last two generations. This gen just makes it more obvious.

Great offensive STABs to work with, along it's solid base attack. Sadly, that's the only good thing about this Poke. It's non existent speed, meh bulk and bad defensive typing means it's getting revenged killed by literally anything. Even on TR, being weak to Mach and Bullet punch is never a good thing.

My first post in a few years is to say how much of a disappointment this Pokemon is. Ice/Fighting is an AMAZING offensive typing. Why cripple it with mediocre bulk and horrendous speed? It's just a bad Mamoswine, basically. A cool Pokemon, but competitively it will not go far outside of low tier Trick Room teams.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This thing feels like another Pangoro situation. When you have amazing offensive typing & Attack but just lack the speed & priority to put it to full extent. Crabrawler was one of my favorite mons this generation & seeing its slowed evolution & lack of priority really disappoints me.
However I do wonder how Crabrawler itself will be in LC, it can hit 16 Speed & has nice Attack that is the same tier as Timburr's along with access to Close Combat, Crabhammer, Stone Edge & Earthquake (lets hope we can get Crabhammer & CC on a bred one tho). If only it had Mach Punch or Ice Shard then I would see it as viable as the other fighters in LC, but its still decent.

This Pokemon, like -most- of Gen 7, was obviously designed with doubles in mind. Guys, GF doesn't care about singles. If it's competitively viable at all, it's by accident and not design.

Loving this yeti crab. Yet another pokemon that is slow as shit. It will be difficult to switch into though almost 400 attack plus great coverage and Iron fist.

This mon looks pretty bad in terms of competitive (even in PU, you get the likes of regular Muk, Stoutland, Mawile, Relicanth, Dusknoir, and likely new additions such as Slush Rush Beartic, Toucannon and Alolan Sandslash that do any of its likely jobs better (and considering that it won't likely be the only Fighting-type PU gets this gen, it sucks in that regard too)). It doesn't get ANY form of priority, and defensively I don't think you could get a worse typing. While yes it does get a Stealth Rock neutrality, being weak to several prominent offensive types such as Fighting, Flying, Psychic, and Fire isn't good whatsoever. However, it might see use in very lower tier Doubles due to high attack and Trick Room. Of course, not in a tier where Conkeldurr exists, but still.

Yet despite this, and its really dumb design (though I haven't seen it in motion yet so that could change), I'd actually use one. That typing is bad defensively, but its unique, and offensively its rock solid, combined with some decent coverage options. You get it early on, and its one of the only Ice-types you can get for quite a while. I also love Crabrawler's design, and in general I just love crabs. Even if it turns out to be the worst mon I've ever raised in a main series game, it'll be fun to experiment with. Of course, I wouldn't use in my main playthrough due to how risky it looks, but maybe if I can obtain Pokemon Moon, this thing will definitely be apart of my team.

On a final note, move tutors would improve this mon, especially if it gains Knock Off or a priority move, and possibly Drain Punch to help an Assault Vest set. If Pangoro could jump a tier or two because of stuff like that, I can't why this can't do the same thing.

Speak for yourself.

breh

強いだね
Thing is, even for doubles I'm struggling to place its niche.
It has wide guard + dual 120 BP STABs or 100 BP Ice STAB / 120 BP fight + hyper cutter. It actually reminds me a lot of kingler (which I used in trick room in vgc12) except without any semblance of physical bulk. regardless, I think it actually wields one of the strongest ice moves in doubles when boosted by iron fist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)