Cradily (BW2 Revamp) [QC: 3/3] [GP: 2/2]

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Some minimal things I wanted to change with Cradily: I'm going to keep the sets as is, but Scolipede and Primeape in particular are two threats in NU that aren't mentioned in the old analysis. Whirlipede is listed as a teammate to Cradily for Toxic Spikes when Scolipede is now NU, etc.

I also think Storm Drain is more viable than Suction Cups on the SD set, but I'll mention Suction cups in the Additional Comments. Scald protection is more important than being phazed, as Cradily with a SD can still kill many Phazers before they are able to Whirlwind / Roar. Those phazers that can't be killed off usually pack Toxic anyways, e.g. Bastiodon.

As per ebeast's suggestions I decided to remove the SD set, which is pretty understandable as the Curse set is better in most ways, and SD is admittedly a bit lackluster.

EDIT: also editing in tennis's suggestions, ebeast's suggestions, added recover in AC for Curse set

READY TO UPLOAD

[Overview]

<p>Cradily sports respectable bulk, a unique typing in NU that allows it to resist Normal-type attacks, and the ability Storm Drain, which grants it an immunity to Water-type attacks. Cradily can be customized to fit the needs of different teams as it can be both physically and specially based, can act as Stealth Rock support, and can function as a setup sweeper. Despite Cradily's versatility and bulk, its weaknesses to common attacking types hinder its usefulness in NU. Furthermore, unlike the rest of its Rock-type brethren, Cradily takes neutral damage from Flying-type attacks, which makes it less appealing to use. Nonetheless, Cradily's unique typing allows it to provide key resistances and act as a glue for a team.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Rock Slide / Toxic
move 4: Recover
item: Leftovers
ability: Storm Drain
nature: Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cradily's Storm Drain ability allows it to switch into bulky Water-types such as Alomomola, Seismitoad, and Wartortle with relative ease without fearing a Scald burn. In addition, its Rock typing allows it to tank hits from Kangaskhan and Tauros efficiently. As a result, Cradily is a unique Stealth Rock user because it can set up against Water- and Normal-types alike without much fear. Giga Drain is Cradily's primary form of offense, doing considerable damage after a Storm Drain boost, and helps it heal health at a faster pace. Rock Slide is primarily used as a way to OHKO Jynx and to beat Flying-types such as Altaria. It can also do decent damage to Bug-types, although Cradily must watch out for Bug-type attacks in return. Toxic can also be considered in this slot if one wishes to forgo coverage for a more stall-oriented strategy, as it is able to poison common switch-ins such as Tangela. Recover allows for Cradily to last longer in battle, providing it much-needed longevity in combination with its resistances and bulk to tank hits from the opponent while acting as a support pivot.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To tank hits efficiently from hard hitting physical Normal-types such as Tauros and Kangaskhan, it is usually more effective if Cradily invests in its physical bulk. Hidden Power Fire is an option to consider to take on Steel-types such as Metang and Klang, although they beat Cradily for the most part anyway. A specially based set with a Bold nature and Hidden Power Rock over Rock Slide is also viable if one wishes to take complete advantage of Storm Drain's Special Attack boost. Furthermore, one can also opt to use a completely specially defensive spread in 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD depending on the needs of the team.</p>

<p>Cradily is best used alongside a cleric and a Toxic Spikes absorber, as status severely restricts its ability to tank hits and switch in on threats. Lickilicky, Garbodor, Scolipede, and Musharna make great teammates as a result; Musharna in particular has Heal Bell and a much-needed Fighting-type resistance to cover Cradily's weaknesses. Metang is also a good teammate that can be used to help deal with Ice-type attacks, including those of Jynx. Given Metang's physical bulk, it works best alongside a specially defensive Cradily set; using the two together also enables Cradily to run Toxic over Stealth Rock because Metang is able to use Stealth Rock instead.</p>

[SET]
name: Mono-Attacker
move 1: Curse
move 2: Rest
move 3: Sleep Talk
move 4: Rock Slide / Seed Bomb
ability: Suction Cups
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cradily can be used to switch into status afflicting moves such as Toxic and Will-O-Wisp, then set up late-game for sweeps once its counters have been dealt with. RestTalk allows Cradily to switch in multiple times throughout a game as a defensive pivot, and Curse allows it to sweep when the time is right. Using Rock Slide makes Cradily vulnerable to both Fighting- and Ground-type Pokemon such as Throh, Gurdurr, and Golem. On the other hand, Seed Bomb makes Cradily more susceptible to Sap Sipper users such as Zebstrika, as well as Flying- and Grass-type Pokemon such as Tangela, Serperior, Mandibuzz, and Altaria. Steel-types in particular resist both Rock Slide and Seed Bomb, so Pokemon such as Klang and Metang are able to hinder Cradily's ability to sweep late-game if they are still present.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Suction Cups is the preferred ability because it prevents phazing, a common strategy used to nullify the effectiveness of setup mono-attackers such as Cradily. Storm Drain may also be considered in tandem with Recover over RestTalk if one wishes to use a Curse set with more coverage and utility but less opportunities to set up. If one chooses to go this route, one must use a cleric in order to heal Cradily of crippling status such as burn and poison.</p>

<p>Toxic Spikes support is appreciated for breaking down Pokemon that won't go down to Rock Slide or Seed Bomb; for example, Tangela and Exeggutor won't be able to wall Seed Bomb Cradily effectively with the presence of Toxic Spikes. Garbodor works great with Cradily because it resists both Bug- and Fighting-type moves and can lay down entry hazards with ease. Pokemon that deal with Steel-types such as Seismitoad, Charizard, and Torkoal also make great partners as they can help clear the field for a Cradily sweep. In the same vein, Gothorita is a premier trapper in NU against Fighting-types that would otherwise make it difficult for Cradily to set up and sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Stockpile boosts Cradily's defenses even further, but Stockpile Cradily is a sitting duck more often than not. Mirror Coat can provide decent surprise factor and might sometimes catch an opponent off-guard, especially if a Water-type were to use Ice Beam against Cradily. Confuse Ray is another option to consider, although Cradily has better things to be doing than relying on confusion against the opponent. Earthquake can be used to hit Garbodor, Probopass, and Bastiodon for respectable damage, although doing so would require Cradily to sacrifice much more important coverage or utility in the process. Lastly, a Swords Dance set can be considered, but Cradily is too slow to pull it off effectively, especially considering the types of weaknesses that it has. Because of this, Curse is generally a much better option as it also boosts Defense.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>There are many offensive Pokemon that are able to 2HKO Cradily, such as Charizard, Scolipede, and Jynx; however, they all must watch out for Rock-type moves, as Rock Slide is very common on Cradily. As such, they should only be used against Cradily when it is weakened enough to be picked off in one hit. Fighting-types such as Sawk, Throh, and Primeape all deal heavy damage to Cradily and resist its Rock-type attacks.</p>

<p>Defensively, Poison-types can wall Cradily effectively; Weezing in particular can use Haze against any Curse sets and sports Will-O-Wisp in order to cripple the support set. Garbodor can also wall the support set and lay down entry hazards, but loses out to the mono-attacker set. Grass-types such as Tangela and Exeggutor can wall the support set if it does not run Toxic. Exeggutor is at a stalemate with Cradily if it runs Substitute + Leech Seed, while Lum and Sunny Day variants beat the support set but lose to Curse. Roselia can wall the support Set and lay down Spikes, but it loses to the Curse set. Steel-types such as Klang and Metang are troublesome because they resist both of Cradily's STAB moves, and Bastiodon can wall the support set as well but has to be wary of Curse.</p>

Last edited:
A few suggestions.

In the Overview, I think you should specifically mention that Cradily is a very versatile Pokemon with its balanced stat spread and decent movepool. It can attack from the physical or special side and wall from the physical or special side fairly well, so it can be easily catered to fit your teams needs. It's not just its abilities and the fact that it can run a defensive set or offensive set as you have it now.

Following on to that, you should probably mention that Cradily can opt to use a specially defensive EV spread in the Support set. This way, it becomes a very formidable special wall, being able to survive stuff like Jynx's Ice Beam, Charizard's Focus Blast, 62.5% chance to survive +2 Ice Beam from Gorebyss, Specs Altaria, Specs Exeggutor, among tons of other special attackers. I've used specially defensive Cradily myself and it's pretty useful. Furthermore, I'm not 100% if this is worthwhile, so QC can review this, but wouldn't it be more plausible to run Giga Drain / Rock Slide rather than Energy Ball / Hidden Power Rock? This way, you get a slightly stronger Rock STAB attack and have the ability to OHKO Jynx and hit Altaria and Regice harder, and just generally hits Pokemon who pack higher SpD harder. Giga Drain is for obvious reasons; I'll trade the 5 BP for free recovery any day. Also, I don't think Cradily will miss the lost Speed, because it'll only end up being outpaced by just Probopass, Camerupt, and Gurdurr pretty much. I don't think that even matters, though.

That's all I have for now.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm no expert on Cradily so I'll just force Annoyer to QC this later B) but I do agree that Giga Drain > Energy Ball a million times over. Energy Ball shouldn't even get a mention anywhere in the analysis, that's how much better Giga is.

Yeah when I wanted to use Cradily (but never did cause lazy) I did think about using Relaxed with Rock Slide to OHKO Jynx. I think that would be a fine option over HP Rock. SpD spread in AC of Support sounds good as well. Also I think that SD should be in OO rather than be a set, Cradily doesn't really have the stats to be a SD sweeper; its slow and kind of weak. At least Curse makes the process easier by patching up its Defense.

Somewhere in there mention that Support Cradily deals very well with Kanga and Tauros.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Support: I'd mention Seismitoad or Wartortle > Basculin or Floatzel as an example of Water-attacks it can switch into, both are more relevant to the metagame. Also agreeing with Rock Slide + Relaxed nature > HP Rock, the only mon I can tell that it doesn't hit as hard is like... Armaldo/Volbeat/Pinsir, but that doesn't matter nearly as much as the OHKO on Jynx does. Agreeing with SpDef spread in AC, can't hurt.

Curse: Please don't use the phrase "crux of the set" god damn that shit is overused. Mention Gothorita as a good partner since it traps and kills all Fighting-types that aren't named Scraggy. Also LO Jynx still 2HKOs with Ice Beam, so you need to make sure that it's eliminated too. List partners like Charizard (or even Camerupt or Torkoal), which can eliminate Steel-types and Ice-types in Cradily's way.

OO: I wouldn't even mention Gastro Acid since you can't do anything to Weezing and then if you remove its Levatate it'll just try to burn you and then you switched your Ground-type into W-o-W etc. There aren't many applications where Gastro Acid is better than straight up attacking.

C&C: Needs work. You mention a Rock-type move as a primary move on both sets, so saying Scolipede can switch in on anything but those is kind of shaky. It easily 2hkos the support set but if Megahorn misses / it switches in on Rock Slide then it's in trouble. Ditto with Jynx, except it's even more extreme as Jynx OHKOs (56% chance, 100% with SR) the Support set with LO Ice Beam but gets OHKOd by Rock Slide. Charizard also 2hkos with Fire Blast but gets wrecked by Rock Slide. I wouldn't mention Leafeon as a primary counter, you're forgetting popular Pokemon like Tangela and Exeggutor and Garbodor that can really ruin Cradily's day. The easiest way to go about this is by saying something like "Grass-types, such as Tangela and Exeggutor don't take much damage from Cradily. In addition, Poison-types such as Garbodor and Weezing wall Cradily and can either Poison or Burn it". Make generalities, and then list 2-3 common examples from the NU tier.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Support: I'd mention Seismitoad or Wartortle > Basculin or Floatzel as an example of Water-attacks it can switch into, both are more relevant to the metagame. Also agreeing with Rock Slide + Relaxed nature > HP Rock, the only mon I can tell that it doesn't hit as hard is like... Armaldo/Volbeat/Pinsir, but that doesn't matter nearly as much as the OHKO on Jynx does. Agreeing with SpDef spread in AC, can't hurt.

Curse: Please don't use the phrase "crux of the set" god damn that shit is overused. Mention Gothorita as a good partner since it traps and kills all Fighting-types that aren't named Scraggy. Also LO Jynx still 2HKOs with Ice Beam, so you need to make sure that it's eliminated too. List partners like Charizard (or even Camerupt or Torkoal), which can eliminate Steel-types and Ice-types in Cradily's way.

OO: I wouldn't even mention Gastro Acid since you can't do anything to Weezing and then if you remove its Levatate it'll just try to burn you and then you switched your Ground-type into W-o-W etc. There aren't many applications where Gastro Acid is better than straight up attacking.

C&C: Needs work. You mention a Rock-type move as a primary move on both sets, so saying Scolipede can switch in on anything but those is kind of shaky. It easily 2hkos the support set but if Megahorn misses / it switches in on Rock Slide then it's in trouble. Ditto with Jynx, except it's even more extreme as Jynx OHKOs (56% chance, 100% with SR) the Support set with LO Ice Beam but gets OHKOd by Rock Slide. Charizard also 2hkos with Fire Blast but gets wrecked by Rock Slide. I wouldn't mention Leafeon as a primary counter, you're forgetting popular Pokemon like Tangela and Exeggutor and Garbodor that can really ruin Cradily's day. The easiest way to go about this is by saying something like "Grass-types, such as Tangela and Exeggutor don't take much damage from Cradily. In addition, Poison-types such as Garbodor and Weezing wall Cradily and can either Poison or Burn it". Make generalities, and then list 2-3 common examples from the NU tier.
Implemented, thanks for the read.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Additional Comments]
When talking about Metang as a partner for Cradily add in that by doing so Cradily can fit in Toxic over Stealth Rock as Metang covers that for you. You should also mention that specially defensive Cradily is better for pairing it up with Metang. You can also mention Misdreavus as a cleric partner that can also switch into Fighting-type attacks aimed at Cradily.

[Set Comments]
When talking about Seed Bomb also mention that it leaves Cradily completely useless against Sap Sipper Sawsbuck and Miltank. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's walled by Steel-types because some actually lose (Bastiodon and Probopass) Just say regardless it loses to: Metang and Klang.

[Checks and Counters]
Get specific with all the counters listed; Bastiodon beats Support but loses to Curse. Add Klang to the list of Steel-types that beat it and move the whole mention of Steel-types to the top. Remove mention of Leafeon and replace with it Roselia. Again get specific with the counters; Tangela beats Support sets without Toxic, but loses to Curse; Exeggutor's performance depends on its own set. Specs hits both hard, LumRest beats Support but loses to Curse, SubSeed stalemates against both sets, and Sunny Day beats Support while losing to Curse.; Roselia beats Support sets and Spikes up while losing against Curse. Move Grass-types up to the top after the Steel-type mention.

Garbodor doesn't use Clear Smog in the standard sets, so I would just mention that it sets up on Support set, but loses to Curse. (It wouldn't beat Curse even with Clear Smog though)

QC Approved 1/3

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Recover needs a mention on Curse, and I'd even argue for it to be put on the full set. It's waaay more reliable than RestTalk and also frees up your coverage too. No protection from status really sucks though, but it at least needs an AC mention.

mention that cradily should really only be used when you need a good water and normal resist (immunity for water) in one team slot
add in ac that you can also use storm drain on the resttalk curse set because a lot of teams dont have a phazer making suction cups useless most of the times
also add in ac of the same set that you can use curse and recover if you dont care as much about status so you can run an extra coverage move or toxic with curse which works pretty well (mention that having a cleric is more important tho)
add for both sets that it appreciates toxic spikes support from stuff like garbodor and scolipede to make its job of stalling easier
put eq in oo to hit stuff like garbodor and bastiodon/probopass hard

looks good qc 2/3

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
@tennisace how the fuck did I not know of this earlier lol

Everything is written up, thanks for the feedback guys.

Make a brief mention in the Overview that other Rock-types also resist Flying, which often makes them better options than Cradily.

Otherwise, this is great!

QC Approved 3/3

GP check. Good job on writing this. Just remember not to capitalize the names of sets unless they are named after moves or abilities.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple
[Overview]

<p>Cradily sports respectable bulk (add comma) and a rather unique typing in NU. A Rock / Grass typing allows for Cradily that allows it to resist Normal-type attacks in NU, while its Storm Drain ability grants the ability Storm Drain, which grants it an immunity to Water-type attacks. Cradily can be customized to fit the needs of different teams as it can be both physical physically and specially based, can act as Stealth Rock support, and can also function as a set-up setup sweeper. Despite Cradily's versatility and bulk, its weaknesses to Fighting-, Ice-, Bug-, and Steel-type attacks common attacking types hinder its usefulness in NU. Furthermore unlike the rest of its Rock-type brethren, Cradily takes neutral damage from Flying-type attacks as opposed to its other Rock-type brethren, which makes Cradily it less appealing to use. Nonetheless, Cradily's unique typing allows it to cover provide key resistances in a team and act as a glue Pokemon for a team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cradily's Storm Drain ability allows it to switch into bulky Water-types in NU such as Alomomola, Seismitoad, and Wartortle with relative ease and without the fear of fearing a Scald burn. In addition, its Rock-typing Rock typing allows it to tank hits from Kangaskhan and Tauros efficiently. As a result, Cradily is a unique Stealth Rock user because it can set them up against Water- and Normal-types alike without much fear. Giga Drain is Cradily's primary form of offense, which does doing considerable damage under after a Storm Drain boost, and helps Cradily it heal health at a faster pace. Rock Slide is primarily used as a way to OHKO Jynx, (remove comma) and is also used to beat Flying-types such as Altaria. It can also do decent damage to Bug-types, although Cradily must watch out for Bug-type attacks due to its Rock / Grass typing in return. Toxic can also be considered in this slot if one wishes to forgo coverage for a more stall oriented strategy, as it is able to poison common switch ins switch-ins such as Tangela. Recover allows for Cradily to last longer in battle, providing it the much needed longevity in combination with its resists resistances and bulk to tank hits from the opponent while acting as a support pivot.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To tank hits efficiently from hard hitting physical Normal-types such as Tauros and Kangaskhan, it is usually preferred that more effective if Cradily invests in its physical bulk. Hidden Power Fire is an option to consider against to take on Steel-types such as Metang and Klang, although they beat Cradily for the most part anyway. A fully special specially based set with a Bold nature and Hidden Power Rock over a Relaxed nature and Rock Slide is also viable if one wishes to take complete advantage of Storm Drain's Special Attack boost. Furthermore, one can also opt to use a completely special specially defensive spread in of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD depending on the needs of the team.</p>

<p>Cradily is best used alongside a Cleric cleric and a Toxic Spikes absorber, as status severely weakens Cradily's restricts its ability to tank hits and switch in on threats. Lickilicky, Garbodor, Scolipede, and Musharna make great teammates as a result; Musharna in particular has Heal Bell and a much needed Fighting-type resist resistance to cover Cradily's weaknesses. Metang is also a good teammate that can be used to help deal with Ice-type attacks, including those of Jynx. Given Metang's physical bulk, it works best alongside a specially defensive Cradily set, (change to semicolon) in which Cradily can using the two together also enables Cradily to run Toxic over Stealth Rock because Metang is able to use Stealth Rock instead.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cradily can be used to switch into status afflicting moves such as Toxic and Will-O-Wisp, then set up accordingly late-game for sweeps once its counters have been dealt with. Rest + Sleep Talk RestTalk allows for Cradily to switch in multiple times throughout a game as a defensive pivot, while and Curse allows it to sweep when the time is right. Using Rock Slide makes Cradily vulnerable to both Fighting- and Ground-type pokemon Pokemon such as as Throh, Gurdurr, and Golem. On the other hand, Seed Bomb makes Cradily more susceptible to Sap Sipper users such as Zebstrika, as well as Flying- and Grass-type Pokemon like such as Tangela, Serperior, Mandibuzz, and Altaria. Steel-types in particular resist both Rock Slide and Seed Bomb, so Pokemon such as Klang and Metang are able to hinder Cradily's ability to sweep late-game if they are still present.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Suction Cups is the preferred ability because it prevents Phazing phazing, a common strategy used to nullify the effectiveness of set-up setup mono-attackers such as Cradily. Storm Drain may also be considered in tandem with Recover over Rest + Sleep Talk RestTalk, (remove comma) if one wishes to use a Curse set with more coverage and utility, (remove comma) but lesser opportunity less opportunities to set up. However If one chooses to go this route, one must use a Cleric cleric in order to heal Cradily of crippling status such as Burn or Poison burn and poison.</p>

<p>Toxic Spikes support is appreciated in for breaking down pokemon Pokemon that won't go down with to Rock Slide or Seed Bomb respectively; for example, Tangela and Exeggutor won't be able to wall Seed Bomb Cradily effectively with the presence of Toxic Spikes. Garbodor works great with Cradily because it resists both Bug- and Fighting-type moves and can lay out down entry hazards accordingly with ease. Pokemon that deal with Steel-types such as Seismitoad, Charizard, and Torkoal also make great partners as they can help clear the field for a Cradily sweep. In the same vein, Gothorita is a premier trapper in NU against Fighting-types that would otherwise make it difficult for Cradily to set up and sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Stockpile boosts Cradily's defenses even further, but doesn't help the fact that Stockpile Cradily is a sitting duck more often than not. Mirror Coat can be a provide decent surprise factor that may and might sometimes catch an opponent off guard, especially if a Water-type were to use Ice Beam against Cradily. Confuse Ray is another option to consider, although Cradily has better things to be doing than relying on Confusion confusion against the opponent. Earthquake can be used to hit Garbodor, Probopass, and Bastiodon for respectable amounts of damage, although doing so but running it would require Cradily to sacrifice much more important coverage or utility in the process. Lastly, a Swords Dance set can be considered, but Cradily is still too slow to pull it off effectively, especially considering the types of weaknesses that it has. Because of this, Curse is generally a much better option as it also boosts Defense.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>There are many offensive Pokemon that are able to 2HKO Cradily such as Charizard, Scolipede, and Jynx; however, they all must watch out for Rock-type moves, as Rock Slide is very common on Cradily. As such, they should only be used against Cradily when it is weakened enough to be picked off in one hit. Fighting-types, such as Sawk, Throh, and Primeape all deal heavy damage to Cradily all while resisting and resist its Rock-type attacks.</p>

<p>Defensively, Poison-types such as Weezing can wall it Cradily effectively, (change to semicolon) as it Weezing in particular can use Haze against any Curse sets, (remove comma) and sports Will-O-Wisp in order to cripple the Support support set. Garbodor can also wall the support set and lay down entry hazards, but it loses out to the Mono-attacker mono-attacker set. Grass-types such as Tangela and Exeggutor can wall the Support support set if it does not run Toxic, as well as Exeggutor. Exeggutor is at a stalemate with Cradily if it runs Substitute + Leech Seed, while Lum and Sunny Day variants beat the Support support set but lose to Curse. Roselia can wall the Support Set support set and lay down Spikes, but it loses to the Curse set. Steel-types such as Klang and Metang are both troublesome because they resist both of Cradily's STAB moves, and Bastiodon can wall the Support support set as well, (remove comma) but has to be wary of Curse.</p>

GP: 1/2

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cradily strong

@Plus

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Cradily sports respectable bulk, a unique typing in NU that allows it to resist Normal-type attacks, and the ability Storm Drain, which grants it an immunity to Water-type attacks. Cradily can be customized to fit the needs of different teams as it can be both physically and specially based, can act as Stealth Rock support, and can function as a setup sweeper. Despite Cradily's versatility and bulk, its weaknesses to common attacking types hinder its usefulness in NU. Furthermore, unlike the rest of its Rock-type brethren, Cradily takes neutral damage from Flying-type attacks, which makes it less appealing to use. Nonetheless, Cradily's unique typing allows it to provide key resistances and act as a glue Pokemon for a team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cradily's Storm Drain ability allows it to switch into bulky Water-types such as Alomomola, Seismitoad, and Wartortle with relative ease and without fearing a Scald burn. In addition, its Rock typing allows it to tank hits from Kangaskhan and Tauros efficiently. As a result, Cradily is a unique Stealth Rock user because it can set up against Water- and Normal-types alike without much fear. Giga Drain is Cradily's primary form of offense, doing considerable damage after a Storm Drain boost, and helps it heal health at a faster pace. Rock Slide is primarily used as a way to OHKO Jynx and to beat Flying-types such as Altaria. It can also do decent damage to Bug-types, although Cradily must watch out for Bug-type attacks in return. Toxic can also be considered in this slot if one wishes to forgo coverage for a more stall-oriented strategy, as it is able to poison common switch-ins such as Tangela. Recover allows for Cradily to last longer in battle, providing it much-needed longevity in combination with its resistances and bulk to tank hits from the opponent while acting as a support pivot.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To tank hits efficiently from hard hitting physical Normal-types such as Tauros and Kangaskhan, it is usually more effective if Cradily invests in its physical bulk. Hidden Power Fire is an option to consider to take on Steel-types such as Metang and Klang, although they beat Cradily for the most part anyway. A specially based set with a Bold nature and Hidden Power Rock over Rock Slide is also viable if one wishes to take complete advantage of Storm Drain's Special Attack boost. Furthermore, one can also opt to use a completely specially defensive spread in 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD depending on the needs of the team.</p>

<p>Cradily is best used alongside a cleric and a Toxic Spikes absorber, as status severely restricts its ability to tank hits and switch in on threats. Lickilicky, Garbodor, Scolipede, and Musharna make great teammates as a result; Musharna in particular has Heal Bell and a much-needed Fighting-type resistance to cover Cradily's weaknesses. Metang is also a good teammate that can be used to help deal with Ice-type attacks, including those of Jynx. Given Metang's physical bulk, it works best alongside a specially defensive Cradily set; using the two together also enables Cradily to run Toxic over Stealth Rock because Metang is able to use Stealth Rock instead.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Cradily can be used to switch into status afflicting moves such as Toxic and Will-O-Wisp, then set up late-game for sweeps once its counters have been dealt with. RestTalk allows Cradily to switch in multiple times throughout a game as a defensive pivot, and Curse allows it to sweep when the time is right. Using Rock Slide makes Cradily vulnerable to both Fighting- and Ground-type Pokemon such as Throh, Gurdurr, and Golem. On the other hand, Seed Bomb makes Cradily more susceptible to Sap Sipper users such as Zebstrika, as well as Flying- and Grass-type Pokemon such as Tangela, Serperior, Mandibuzz, and Altaria. Steel-types in particular resist both Rock Slide and Seed Bomb, so Pokemon such as Klang and Metang are able to hinder Cradily's ability to sweep late-game if they are still present.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Suction Cups is the preferred ability because it prevents phazing, a common strategy used to nullify the effectiveness of setup mono-attackers such as Cradily. Storm Drain may also be considered in tandem with Recover over RestTalk if one wishes to use a Curse set with more coverage and utility but less opportunities to set up. If one chooses to go this route, one must use a cleric in order to heal Cradily of crippling status such as burn and poison.</p>

<p>Toxic Spikes support is appreciated for breaking down Pokemon that won't go down to Rock Slide or Seed Bomb; for example, Tangela and Exeggutor won't be able to wall Seed Bomb Cradily effectively with the presence of Toxic Spikes. Garbodor works great with Cradily because it resists both Bug- and Fighting-type moves and can lay down entry hazards with ease. Pokemon that deal with Steel-types such as Seismitoad, Charizard, and Torkoal also make great partners as they can help clear the field for a Cradily sweep. In the same vein, Gothorita is a premier trapper in NU against Fighting-types that would otherwise make it difficult for Cradily to set up and sweep.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Stockpile boosts Cradily's defenses even further, but Stockpile Cradily is a sitting duck more often than not. Mirror Coat can provide decent surprise factor and might sometimes catch an opponent off-guard, especially if a Water-type were to use Ice Beam against Cradily. Confuse Ray is another option to consider, although Cradily has better things to be doing than relying on confusion against the opponent. Earthquake can be used to hit Garbodor, Probopass, and Bastiodon for respectable damage, although doing so would require Cradily to sacrifice much more important coverage or utility in the process. Lastly, a Swords Dance set can be considered, but Cradily is too slow to pull it off effectively, especially considering the types of weaknesses that it has. Because of this, Curse is generally a much better option as it also boosts Defense.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>There are many offensive Pokemon that are able to 2HKO Cradily, (AC) such as Charizard, Scolipede, and Jynx; however, they all must watch out for Rock-type moves, as Rock Slide is very common on Cradily. As such, they should only be used against Cradily when it is weakened enough to be picked off in one hit. Fighting-types such as Sawk, Throh, and Primeape all deal heavy damage to Cradily and resist its Rock-type attacks.</p>

<p>Defensively, Poison-types can wall Cradily effectively; Weezing in particular can use Haze against any Curse sets and sports Will-O-Wisp in order to cripple the support set. Garbodor can also wall the support set and lay down entry hazards, but loses out to the mono-attacker set. Grass-types such as Tangela and Exeggutor can wall the support set if it does not run Toxic. Exeggutor is at a stalemate with Cradily if it runs Substitute + Leech Seed, while Lum and Sunny Day variants beat the support set but lose to Curse. Roselia can wall the support Set and lay down Spikes, but it loses to the Curse set. Steel-types such as Klang and Metang are troublesome because they resist both of Cradily's STAB moves, and Bastiodon can wall the support set as well but has to be wary of Curse.</p>

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)