Resource Creative and Underrated Sets: ORAS Edition (NO SHITTY GIMMICKS, Read Post #419)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excadrill (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Rapid Spin

I don't think anyone in particular "created" this set but it was used a bit early on in ORAS and eventually died out. I've been using it recently and it truly is underrated in this metagame. This set is generally used as a lead, and it has all the tools necessary to be a good lead. It has Stealth Rock + Rapid Spin for great hazard control, a focus sash, and even Rock Tomb to prevent opposing set up and just to beat other pokemon 1v1 in general. Instead of just getting rocks up and dying from a 2hko vs something faster like a Thundurus, you can now use Rock Tomb to either 2hko it the 2nd turn or to get damage and then rocks. The same applies to pretty much any faster pokemon and it really makes Excadrill a great lead. The main reason this set was created, however, was because of Mold Breaker + Stealth Rock. This allows Excadrill to easily set rocks on the common Magic Bouncers of the tier with no fear at all. You can also pull off an effective bluff and get a surprisingly good lead matchup if you have another common rocker on your team such as Garchomp or Landorus. An Adamant nature is generally preferred on this set for a greater damage output and the fact that a Jolly nature is often useless, but a Jolly nature can still be used to outspeed some key pokemon after the speed drop such as Mega Alakazam and Aerodactyl. Overall this is a very effective set that deserves more love and usage from the OU playerbase.

Never had much luck with manaphy and just sort of disregarded it but I quite like this set:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Tail Glow
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

263 speed to outspeed jolly breloom and bisharp. There's something oh so satisfying being able to OHKO mega venusaur and rotom-w (after setting up).

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Never had much luck with manaphy and just sort of disregarded it but I quite like this set:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Tail Glow
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

263 speed to outspeed jolly breloom and bisharp. There's something oh so satisfying being able to OHKO mega venusaur and rotom-w (after setting up).
This is literally the standard Manaphy set, just with a different speed benchmark.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well on the subject of Manaphy there's an underrated item for it to hold. Sitrus Berry is actually fairly nice for TG + 3 Attacks sets on offensive teams. The reason being that many people rely on 2 relatively hard (but not Super Effective) hits to KO Manaphy since it's difficult to switch out of (and into something with a SE attack) for fear of TG setup or getting hit by a coverage move. The Sitrus Berry ensures that most 2HKOs turn into 3HKOs, allowing you either to set up a TG or KO the opposing pokemon before becoming too weakened. You lose out on passive recovery but Manaphy becomes a far more reliable check to pokemon such as Mega Diancie (very, very slim chance to 2HKO after SR w/ Sitrus). This also allows it to set up more easily against things like Mega Venusaur and even becomes a switch-in to things like Gengar provided you have Psychic to OHKO in return (and in Gengar's case, no SR up ;_;). Essentially it's a nice buffer for heavily offensive teams that have problems checking a variety of strong attackers.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Well on the subject of Manaphy there's an underrated item for it to hold. Sitrus Berry is actually fairly nice for TG + 3 Attacks sets on offensive teams. The reason being that many people rely on 2 relatively hard (but not Super Effective) hits to KO Manaphy since it's difficult to switch out of (and into something with a SE attack) for fear of TG setup or getting hit by a coverage move. The Sitrus Berry ensures that most 2HKOs turn into 3HKOs, allowing you either to set up a TG or KO the opposing pokemon before becoming too weakened. You lose out on passive recovery but Manaphy becomes a far more reliable check to pokemon such as Mega Diancie (very, very slim chance to 2HKO after SR w/ Sitrus). This also allows it to set up more easily against things like Mega Venusaur and even becomes a switch-in to things like Gengar provided you have Psychic to OHKO in return (and in Gengar's case, no SR up ;_;). Essentially it's a nice buffer for heavily offensive teams that have problems checking a variety of strong attackers.
No love for Salac Berry Manaphy....ok ;-;

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oh yeah I forgot... don't remind me I have nightmares about that.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Salac Berry Manaphy is the reason for my insomnia... better give myself a little Hydration to try and get rid of it.

... it just made it worse...

Celebi @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm/Giga Drain/Energy Ball
- Earth Power/Hidden Power [Fire]/Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball/Ancient Power/Psychic
- Trick/Baton Pass/Healing Wish

Not sure if this has been posted, I am NOT reading through 550+ messages to make sure. And yes, I know this isn't that creative, but ;-;.

Anyway, Celebi is mostly used as a NastyPasser, SD Passer, or a support mon, but it does have some offensive capabilities, it also has access to Trick to shut down defensive Pokemon, Healing Wish for one turn momentum and a free revival to a near dead Pokemon, or you can stick with standard Dry Pass to gain momentum. I will explain the set.
Choice items can be chosen, Choice Scarf IMO fits on HO teams with Healing Wish, it effectively reaches 491 speed with Choice Scarf rounded up, with a Timid nature, it can outspeed +1 Mega Gyarados, +1 Adamant Zard X (although you shouldn't try to do anything with celebi to a zard x besides earth power), and well, any +1 Pokemon under 100 base speed maxed out with a beneficial nature. It also outspeeds scarf Landoge, which is extremely useful. Celebi still provides a soft check to Keldeo even with no defensive investment, unless Keldeo carries HP Bug, which can be useful in a pinch. If a Modest nature is chosen, scarf only outspeeds up to +1 base 86s. Choice Specs are used to maximize damage output and make Celebi quite the hard hitting threat. Leaf Storm is the nuke of the set, forcing a switch but dealing massive damage to anything neutral to it, Giga Drain is usually the bread and butter Grass STAB, providing recovery and solid damage. Energy Ball is stronger, but not nuking anything and is the middle move. Earth Power hits most Steels hard, bar Ferrothorn, which is what HP Fire is used to hit, but that leaves you open to Heatran. HP Ice is used to hit common Dragons, and also can be used to hit Gliscor and Landoge. Shadow Ball is the strongest move you can use to hit the Lati@s, Ancient Power is for Zard Ys, Volcaronas, and SpDef Talonflame switch ins. Psychic is STAB, hitting Poison types hard and providing decent damage, sadly, Celebi lacks Psyshock. Trick is used to cripple special defensive walls and break down stall easier, Baton Pass is dry pass to keep up momentum from switch ins, and Healing Wish is good for reviving another member of the team.

I don't have the time or patience to calc right now, as I am busy irl.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This set is probably fairly well known at this point, but I figured that I might as well post it.

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 44/212 Def / 208/44 Spe
Jolly/Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Taunt
- Close Combat / Fire Punch

This is an amazing set by Infernape that I shamelessly stole from Flamer that can cripple and kill a ton of mons that are traditionally thought of as counters to nape in OU. Wisp helps Infernape cripple would-be counters such as Garchomp and Azumarill. Taunt can help Infernape function as an anti-lead and generally handle most stallmons depending on what STAB move it chooses. Slack Off helps Infernape heal off damage sustained from opposing threats and generally stay healthy throughout the game. The last slot really depends on whichever STAB move your team prefers, Close Combat lets you deal with Heatran and Chansey while Fire Punch lets you deal with Sableye/Defensive Clefable, but CC is usualy. Infernape is actually surprisingly bulky when you invest EVs into his bulk and really can do a lot of good on teams. This set can dismantle most stall and semi-stall teams lacking mega Slowbro as well as not being half bad vs offense. This may not be the best set overall in OU, but it is definitely effective in its role and can catch a ton of people off-guard.

P.S: EV Spread Optimizations are appreciated.

Last edited:

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This set is probably fairly well known at this point, but I figured that I might as well post it.

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Taunt
- Close Combat / Fire Blast

This is an amazing set by Infernape that I shamelessly stole from Flamer that can cripple and kill a ton of mons that are traditionally thought of as counters to nape in OU. Wisp helps Infernape cripple would-be counters such as Garchomp and Azumarill. Taunt can help Infernape function as an anti-lead and generally handle most stallmons depending on what STAB move it chooses. Slack Off helps Infernape heal off damage sustained from opposing threats and generally stay healthy throughout the game. The last slot really depends on whichever STAB move your team prefers, Close Combat lets you deal with Heatran and Chansey while Fire Blast lets you deal with Sableye/Defensive Clefable, but CC is usualy. Infernape is actually surprisingly bulky when you invest EVs into his bulk and really can do a lot of good on teams. This set can dismantle most stall and semi-stall teams lacking mega Slowbro as well as not being half bad vs offense. This may not be the best set overall in OU, but it is definitely effective in its role and can catch a ton of people off-guard.

CC > Fire blast imo, much better coverage in general and the things you said it 'deals with' being Sableye and Clefable... It really doesn't. Which leads to Impish Nature > Bold (Or Jolly if you wanna go fast ;]) As for EVs, you'd at least want to outspeed Jolly Bisharp. Which is only 44 speed and a maximum of 208+ Which is enough for Jolly Garchomp, but as most garchomps are tank chomps and you don't wanna be staying in even if it is offensive, this isn't recommended. You could also go with outspeeding max speed heatran, altaria, excadrill, non scarf lando-t. Speed is really personal preference but outspeeding bisharp should be mandatory. It can also be used as a rocker but it's unreliable as a hazard setter and requires you to sacrifice a move (Taunt), so you could include this somewhere but purely optional and is also not recommended most of the time with this Ape. So it would look a little like this:

Infernape @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 48 - 212 Def / 44 - 208 Spe (For those too lazy to read my para, speed is personal pref, 44 Impish is for Bish, 208 w/ jolly nature for max speed chomp)
Impish/Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Taunt
- Close Combat

Edit: Toxic could also be a cool option > Wisp for bulky mons like slowbro but more situational and less beneficial vs most mons

Infernape @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Taunt
- Close Combat / Fire Blast

This is an amazing set by Infernape that I shamelessly stole from Flamer that can cripple and kill a ton of mons that are traditionally thought of as counters to nape in OU. Wisp helps Infernape cripple would-be counters such as Garchomp and Azumarill. Taunt can help Infernape function as an anti-lead and generally handle most stallmons depending on what STAB move it chooses. Slack Off helps Infernape heal off damage sustained from opposing threats and generally stay healthy throughout the game. The last slot really depends on whichever STAB move your team prefers, Close Combat lets you deal with Heatran and Chansey while Fire Blast lets you deal with Sableye/Defensive Clefable, but CC is usualy. Infernape is actually surprisingly bulky when you invest EVs into his bulk and really can do a lot of good on teams. This set can dismantle most stall and semi-stall teams lacking mega Slowbro as well as not being half bad vs offense. This may not be the best set overall in OU, but it is definitely effective in its role and can catch a ton of people off-guard.

While I wasnt the maker of the set (That was Nog) I can certainly testify the effectiveness of this set. Its one of the more consistent counters to bisharp and weavile, two very dangerous mons atm, while also dealing with both Ferrothorn and tran well. Its also a decent way of breaking stall teams, who cant really do much considering the most common stall mon immune to taunt cant do jack back. As for the optimal spread.

Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Taunt
- Close Combat/Fire Punch

Speed is to beat Bisharp so that even is weakened you can fire off a wisp or heal up without any fear. I prefer Iron Fist>Blaze just in case a Trace mon with HP Fire comes in, which could turn some 2hkos and 3hkos in ohkos and 2hkos. It also helps if you choose to use Fire punch, which doesnt have the nasty drops CC does. Definately one of my favourite nape sets bc its very hard for balance and stall to beat, which also being able to cripple would-be switchins with wisp.

Ninja'ed

Style

Banned deucer.
Some sets I've used recently,

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 140 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt
- Roost
- Baton Pass

Baton Pass Mew is not new, but uncommon. This Mew does not fare too well against offense, but against the slower balanced team archetypes that are currently everywhere it performs alright. A lot of Pokemon on balance are either slower than Mew or can not KO it before it passes a boost. Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory serve as examples of things that fall under this category. You can boost pretty safely and Taunt any attempts at a Whirlwind or statusing move and proceed to pass to the appropriate member. This Mew is not as consistent as the standard WoW set is in general, but is a fun option to mess around with that can produce some good results.

The EVs make you faster than Jolly Bisharp, with some creep added for opposing Mew although you could always go faster. I placed the remaining EVs into HP and then special defense to take hits from things like Latios and electrics better. I generally find Mew is better at setting up on Pokemon that attack from the special side rather than the physical side.

A team I made/used with the set if anybody is interested in giving the Mew a try: link to team

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 220 SpA / 8 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast

A more offensive approach to Slowking, which are usually AV nowadays. The main allure of this set to me is how it threatens the Pokemon that usually come in on Slowking as it uses Nasty Plot, which it has a lot of opportunities to set up in this metagame. As some examples,

- Celebi, 252/0 is KO’d by a boosted Fire Blast while Giga Drain does not 2HKO.
- Venusaur-Mega, the standard 236/0 is KO’d by Psyshock while doing 60 - 71.7% with Giga Drain, health you can regain later with Regenerator.
- Rotom-W, if it uses WoW, it is taking a huge hit from Psyshock, and if it uses Volt, the Pokemon that comes in has to deal with the boosted attack.
- Clefable, thinks it can come in and safely on AV Slowking, but is surprised when it has to deal with a boosted Psyshock.

This Slowking is like a slower, mini Manaphy if I had to describe it, but with Regenerator to heal back health. The bulk lets you live a Crunch + Sandstorm damage from ScarfTar at full HP, while the 4 EVs in speed let you creep on Reuniclus assuming they don’t run creep themselves. Remainder plugged into offenses for oomph. You can question why you wouldn't use CM over NP, but they work very differently. CM mandates Slack Off and is used more defensively, whereas NP is used more offensively to kill switch ins like Celebi and pose an immediate threat.

A team I made/used with the set if someone wants to give the Slowking a try: link to team

Scolipede
@ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 232 HP / 72 Def / 84 SpD / 120 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Rock Slide

I was going to use this on a team I made for OST finals. A universally hated set, but with Rock Slide over sub to snipe Talonflame. It is very hard to stop from passing with proper support and can transfer its boosts to make your receiver super dangerous. Besides Rock Slide, the EVs are the unique part of the set. They make it so that you are faster than Scarf Landorus-T and Kyurem-B after a Speed Boost, while the invested bulk lets you survive a Waterfall + Aqua Jet from Azumarill among other things. You also live a Specs Scald + burn from Keldeo, which is sweet :o

A team I made/used with the set if someone wants to give the Scolipede a try: link to team

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam

This set has become standard now so it doesn't need much of an explanation, but it’s something I used in round 2 of OST that was uncommon before it caught on. It’s your typical Tail Glow Manaphy but with HP Fire to surprise Ferrothorn, which people usually slapped on to their teams to handle this cutie. Things like Energy Ball and even Shadow Ball are all viable options over Ice Beam depending on what you’d like to target. Item wise, I have tried all sorts of stuff on this. Wacan Berry, Lum Berry, Expert Belt, Life Orb and even Icicle Plate [which I have come to realize is super silly]. Wacan Berry, Lum Berry and Leftovers are the best of the bunch imo, but I've grown to like Leftovers the most now.

A team I made/used with the set if someone wants to give the Manaphy a try: link to team

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Work Up
- Roost
- Refresh

I saw a mention of Pidgeot-Mega in a team building thread months ago and grew interested in trying it and decided to give it a go with Work Up, which I saw on the UU analysis. This birdie isn't anything special in OU, but it’s fun to use. Against certain kinds of teams it can put in a lot of work. It’s good against stall and a lot of teams surprisingly lack flying resists, making No Guard Hurricane very fearsome against some teams. I previously had some bulk on this set, but with the rise of regular Alakazam and Tornadus-T bumping its Speed as a result, I switched over to a simple max speed and special attack spread.

A team I made/used with the set if someone wants to give the Pidgeot a try: link to team

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 168 HP / 148 Atk / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Fang
- Roost

Pursuit Aerodactyl isn't really common, so that and the EVs are what makes this set “unique,” even if it’s just a spin on standard Aerodactyl-Mega. I was looking for a speedy Pursuit user that could eliminate Latios and Gengar. Tyranitar fits the bill with Scarf, but is boring/super common. I decided to EV Aerodactyl in such a way that it is bulky enough to successfully trap Latios while being able to take on general hits from Talonflame and others well thanks to the investment. The speed gives you enough to be faster than Scarf Heatran. Another option for an EV spread is 156 HP / 216 Atk / 136 Spe, which gives you more attack and enough speed to be faster than Manectric-Mega and Lopunny-Mega.

Deciding coverage on Aerodactyl is always hard, but I went with Stone Edge for a generally strong and useful STAB move and bird killer and then Fire Fang so that I am not walled by a Ferrothorn trying to lay hazards all over me. Roost rounds things off by giving me recovery and goes hand in hand with the bulk investment. If someone wanted to use a purely offensive set with Pursuit, Aerial Ace is definitely an option over it.

A team I made/used with the set if someone wants to give the Aerodactyl try: link to team

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 12 SpD / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Cotton Guard
- Roost
- Return / Facade

<3 My girl. It is a known set now, but was not a few months ago before OST. The main idea of the set is to set up on some of the stuff that likes to come in on this little adorable cotton candy looking Pokemon, like Ferrothorn for example. After a Cotton Guard, Gyro Ball does laughable damage and things like Landorus-T’s Earthquake can hardly scratch you. You can even set up on crazy stuff like Bisharp if you don’t mega evolve and even AV Azumarill. Other benefits of Cotton Guard include cushioning Talonflame’s Brave Bird and easing set up in front of Pokemon like a boosted Gyarados.

I updated the EVs to give Altaria as much bulk as possible while being faster than Weavile after a dance because it’s getting really popular. The biggest weakness of the set is status, which is why I like to pair it with a user of Heal Bell. Facade helps take advantage of burn and is an option for your attacking move.

A team I made/used with the set if someone wants to give the Altaria a try: link to team

~Feel welcome to PM me questions about any of the teams/sets~

Last edited:

Celestial

Turn Heavenward
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
So I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but I have a clefable set I like to run on some teams as a surprise factor.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EV's: 252 HP/100 Special Atk/156 Special Defense
Nature: Modest
Ice Beam
Fire Blast

Soft-Boiled
Stealth Rock/Moonblast/T-Wave

This spread enables Clefable to survive a sludge wave from even modest landorus-I, a pokemon that usually has nothing to fear from clefable, and then clefable is able to knock it out with ice beam. Also with the 100 special atk ev's, it is able to kill ferrothorn with ice beam+fire blast, even with no prior damage after a turn of leftovers. I used to run unaware for CM Lando, but as I haven't seen any of those in a while, I decided magic guard could be used as it also allows me to use soft-boiled, which is just an amazing move on this mon as everyone is well aware. I usually use this set with another fairy, so I tend to run stealth rock in the last move slot as it also tricks people into thinking this is a standard purely defensive clefable, but moonblast can be run in the last slot as well. I know many people like t-wave clef too so I just slashed that in there as well. Below are some calcs to prove my points:
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 156 SpD Clefable: 328-387 (83.2 - 98.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers
100+ SpA Clefable Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 364-432 (114.1 - 135.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
100+ SpA Clefable Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 58-69 (16.4 - 19.6%)
100+ SpA Clefable Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 284-336 (80.6 - 95.4%)

You can always tweak the set a bit, but yeah its really nice for these two threats as well as scizor with fire blast being a guaranteed OHKO and BP not being an OHKO:
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 312-368 (79.1 - 93.4%)

Last edited:
Some sets I've used recently,

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 140 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt
- Roost
- Baton Pass

Baton Pass Mew is not new, but uncommon. This Mew does not fare too well against offense, but against the slower balanced team archetypes that are currently everywhere it performs alright. A lot of Pokemon on balance are either slower than Mew or can not KO it before it passes a boost. Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory serve as examples of things that fall under this category. You can boost pretty safely and Taunt any attempts at a Whirlwind or statusing move and proceed to pass to the appropriate member. This Mew is not as consistent as the standard WoW set is in general, but is a fun option to mess around with that can produce some good results.

The EVs make you faster than Jolly Bisharp, with some creep added for opposing Mew although you could always go faster. I placed the remaining EVs into HP and then special defense to take hits from things like Latios and electrics better. I generally find Mew is better at setting up on Pokemon that attack from the special side rather than the physical side.

A team I made/used with the set if anybody is interested in giving the Mew a try: link to team

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 220 SpA / 8 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast

A more offensive approach to Slowking, which are usually AV nowadays. The main allure of this set to me is how it threatens the Pokemon that usually come in on Slowking as it uses Nasty Plot, which it has a lot of opportunities to set up in this metagame. As some examples,

- Celebi, 252/0 is KO’d by a boosted Fire Blast while Giga Drain does not 2HKO.
- Venusaur-Mega, the standard 236/0 is KO’d by Psyshock while doing 60 - 71.7% with Giga Drain, health you can regain later with Regenerator.
- Rotom-W, if it uses WoW, it is taking a huge hit from Psyshock, and if it uses Volt, the Pokemon that comes in has to deal with the boosted attack.
- Clefable, thinks it can come in and safely on AV Slowking, but is surprised when it has to deal with a boosted Psyshock.

This Slowking is like a slower, mini Manaphy if I had to describe it, but with Regenerator to heal back health. The bulk lets you live a Crunch + Sandstorm damage from ScarfTar at full HP, while the 4 EVs in speed let you creep on Reuniclus assuming they don’t run creep themselves. Remainder plugged into offenses for oomph. You can question why you wouldn't use CM over NP, but they work very differently. CM mandates Slack Off and is used more defensively, whereas NP is used more offensively to kill switch ins like Celebi and pose an immediate threat.

A team I made/used with the set if someone wants to give the Slowking a try: link to team

Scolipede
@ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 232 HP / 72 Def / 84 SpD / 120 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Rock Slide

I was going to use this on a team I made for OST finals. A universally hated set, but with Rock Slide over sub to snipe Talonflame. It is very hard to stop from passing with proper support and can transfer its boosts to make your receiver super dangerous. Besides Rock Slide, the EVs are the unique part of the set. They make it so that you are faster than Scarf Landorus-T and Kyurem-B after a Speed Boost, while the invested bulk lets you survive a Waterfall + Aqua Jet from Azumarill among other things. You also live a Specs Scald + burn from Keldeo, which is sweet :o

A team I made/used with the set if someone wants to give the Scolipede a try: link to team

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam

This set has become standard now so it doesn't need much of an explanation, but it’s something I used in round 2 of OST that was uncommon before it caught on. It’s your typical Tail Glow Manaphy but with HP Fire to surprise Ferrothorn, which people usually slapped on to their teams to handle this cutie. Things like Energy Ball and even Shadow Ball are all viable options over Ice Beam depending on what you’d like to target. Item wise, I have tried all sorts of stuff on this. Wacan Berry, Lum Berry, Expert Belt, Life Orb and even Icicle Plate [which I have come to realize is super silly]. Wacan Berry, Lum Berry and Leftovers are the best of the bunch imo, but I've grown to like Leftovers the most now.

A team I made/used with the set if someone wants to give the Manaphy a try: link to team

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Work Up
- Roost
- Refresh

I saw a mention of Pidgeot-Mega in a team building thread months ago and grew interested in trying it and decided to give it a go with Work Up, which I saw on the UU analysis. This birdie isn't anything special in OU, but it’s fun to use. Against certain kinds of teams it can put in a lot of work. It’s good against stall and a lot of teams surprisingly lack flying resists, making No Guard Hurricane very fearsome against some teams. I previously had some bulk on this set, but with the rise of regular Alakazam and Tornadus-T bumping its Speed as a result, I switched over to a simple max speed and special attack spread.

A team I made/used with the set if someone wants to give the Pidgeot a try: link to team

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
EVs: 168 HP / 148 Atk / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Fang
- Roost

Pursuit Aerodactyl isn't really common, so that and the EVs are what makes this set “unique,” even if it’s just a spin on standard Aerodactyl-Mega. I was looking for a speedy Pursuit user that could eliminate Latios and Gengar. Tyranitar fits the bill with Scarf, but is boring/super common. I decided to EV Aerodactyl in such a way that it is bulky enough to successfully trap Latios while being able to take on general hits from Talonflame and others well thanks to the investment. The speed gives you enough to be faster than Scarf Heatran. Another option for an EV spread is 156 HP / 216 Atk / 136 Spe, which gives you more attack and enough speed to be faster than Manectric-Mega and Lopunny-Mega.

Deciding coverage on Aerodactyl is always hard, but I went with Stone Edge for a generally strong and useful STAB move and bird killer and then Fire Fang so that I am not walled by a Ferrothorn trying to lay hazards all over me. Roost rounds things off by giving me recovery and goes hand in hand with the bulk investment. If someone wanted to use a purely offensive set with Pursuit, Aerial Ace is definitely an option over it.

A team I made/used with the set if someone wants to give the Aerodactyl try: link to team

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 12 SpD / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Cotton Guard
- Roost
- Return / Facade

<3 My girl. It is a known set now, but was not a few months ago before OST. The main idea of the set is to set up on some of the stuff that likes to come in on this little adorable cotton candy looking Pokemon, like Ferrothorn for example. After a Cotton Guard, Gyro Ball does laughable damage and things like Landorus-T’s Earthquake can hardly scratch you. You can even set up on crazy stuff like Bisharp if you don’t mega evolve and even AV Azumarill. Other benefits of Cotton Guard include cushioning Talonflame’s Brave Bird and easing set up in front of Pokemon like a boosted Gyarados.

I updated the EVs to give Altaria as much bulk as possible while being faster than Weavile after a dance because it’s getting really popular. The biggest weakness of the set is status, which is why I like to pair it with a user of Heal Bell. Facade helps take advantage of burn and is an option for your attacking move.

A team I made/used with the set if someone wants to give the Altaria a try: link to team

~Feel welcome to PM me questions about any of the teams/sets~

Hey Style , I used ur nasty plot slowking in my oupl week 3 match, and it showed off its effectiveness really well. Nasty plot slowking is just so threatening offensively, and is quite powerful after a few boosts. It is also a great lure for ferrothorn and scizor, and can be effective in combination with dd altaria.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spe
Bold Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Roar
- Protect

So I was making a hazard stacking team wanted to use Poliwrath buuuut when I saw Keldeo had the same defensive traits I needed for being a defensive check to SD Bisharp, M-Gyarados and Weavile I just went with this instead since I didn't exactly need Water Absorb too much. What it's suppose to be used on is hazard stacking teams and use Roar to keep Lati switch ins out from Defogging. Protect is to get Leftovers recovery I've also got another team with Taunt / Toxic on it outside of the STAB moves. This set is more defensive the other team has HP / Speed since it's a bit more offensive so speed was needed for that team. Only got one replay it isn't the most crazy great but it shows how the set functions on a couple of turns which won me the game because of its phasing. Speed on this variant is to outrun up to Jolly Diggersby, you can either up the speed to outpace Mamoswine or just go max hp and speed with timid depending on team.
Keldeo @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Roar / Toxic
- Protect / Substitute

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-231406193

And yes, that is a Claydol.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spe
Bold Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Roar
- Protect

So I was making a hazard stacking team wanted to use Poliwrath buuuut when I saw Keldeo had the same defensive traits I needed for being a defensive check to SD Bisharp, M-Gyarados and Weavile I just went with this instead since I didn't exactly need Water Absorb too much. What it's suppose to be used on is hazard stacking teams and use Roar to keep Lati switch ins out from Defogging. Protect is to get Leftovers recovery I've also got another team with Taunt / Toxic on it outside of the STAB moves. This set is more defensive the other team has HP / Speed since it's a bit more offensive so speed was needed for that team. Only got one replay it isn't the most crazy great but it shows how the set functions on a couple of turns which won me the game because of its phasing. Speed on this variant is to outrun up to Jolly Diggersby, you can either up the speed to outpace Mamoswine or just go max hp and speed with timid depending on team.
Keldeo @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Roar / Toxic
- Protect / Substitute

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-231406193

And yes, that is a Claydol.
Forget the Keldeo, I'm more curious about the Claydol. Did you put it on your team as a joke, or did you find a real niche for it?

AM

LCPL Champion
Forget the Keldeo, I'm more curious about the Claydol. Did you put it on your team as a joke, or did you find a real niche for it?
I just wanted to use Claydol cause I do what I want. If you want me to bullshit a reason, then sure, Spikes immunity due to levitate while spinning and checking only the worst of worse Lando sets that don't bother using Knock Off or HP Ice. Set I was running was EQ, Stone Edge, Ice Beam, Rapid Spin. Its bad but its ORAS, you can make "bad stuff" kind of work.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

It's not creative by any means, but I just wanted to share this because I've been using this set a lot (since like, mid-XY or so) and think it's decently underrated in the current meta. RHelm SD Chomp serves as a cool median between offensive (SR) Garchomp and bulky Garchomp, providing the same utility in SR and Helmet residuals while offering some potentially much-needed offensive presence and nice (to an extent) surprise value. My main issue with FatChomp, although it can perform its role well under a solid amount of situations, is that it's very passive, especially for something that would be used on a more offensively-inclined build. SD allows you to push adequate damage on common fatmons like Lando-T / Clef / Ferrothorn / Slowbro / Gliscor etc. that would otherwise wall Garchomp completely, and with solid bulk Garchomp finds many chances to set up. I like to run max speed to get the jump on the bunch of megas sitting at the base 100 speed tier, especially stuff like Charizard-Y and Gardevoir who most often than not run Modest natures. You can also outspeed various other stuff, like Kyurem-B, Hydreigon, Excadrill, etc. that you otherwise wouldn't be able to when running, what, 264-ish speed? The speed also lets you clean slower builds somewhat consistently, since Chomp still retains the bulk to stick around 'till the late game if necessary. Adamant here grabs a bit of much-needed attack to more adequately pressure fatmons, and the rest is thrown into HP for the bulk. The most notable downside I've found when using this set is that it's much more shaky as a Bisharp check, but otherwise performs pretty solidly.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpD
Bold Nature
- Encore / Toxic
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Posted this in Bludz's thread but imma post this here too cuz it's relevant again and way unexpected. Sap sipper Azu is great counter to literally every grass type in the tier not named NP Psychic Celebi or mega Venusaur (Amoonguss too I guess), which is the literal definition of irony (not Celebi / Venu but Azu countering grasses). Add on a lot of dragons and fighters, especially Keldeo, and you have a rly cool set that can fit on certain balance teams that would otherwise fall to these threats. The set is fairly customizable in regards to the EVs, but I prefer PhysDef so I can take on Latios better (if running knock / pr), as well as things like zard x and certain fat grounds like chomp, hippo, Lando t, etc. scald is scald. Rest talk is rest talk. Encore prevents setup, but knock can take on things like Latios and Serp better cuz scald doesn't rly do much. Cool set with a cool niche, all in all. Will probably edit in replays if I feel like it.

Edit:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-232763374
perfect showcase of how to use this thing.

Last edited:
shoutout to yuruu

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide

This set checks +1 ZardX EQ(after 2 rounds of SR),and tanks ZardY Focus Blast in the sun(after 1 round of SR), just thought that this was a pretty cool looking utility set,and so decided to share it :). It's one of the rare pokemon that can actually check both Zard's so thats pretty hot :D. It does lotsa other stuff too! Like checkmate Latios/Latias/Gengar and also snipes Lando-T+Gliscor. Did I mention that it dgaf about lead Lando-T? Cuz it takes hardly 50% from it :D,and OHKO's in return :)

Latias (F) @ Colbur Berry/Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Defog

Another underrated set :). It snipes Bisharp and lets me defog w/o a care in the world :). Groovy :D

Last edited:

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
shoutout to yuruu

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Defog

Another underrated set :). It snipes Bisharp and lets me defog w/o a care in the world :). Groovy :D
Nice set, I'd slash Colbur Berry with Life Orb on this set though, helps with Scarftar w/o LO still 2hkos w/ HP Fight and less to worry about Crunch/Pursuit and lets helps out vs things like Bisharp given a free switch and to a lesser extent Knock Off mons like Landorus. Bish and TTar are in the top 5 most threatening mons to lati@s, and being able to take them out on the switch and given a free switch is v nice. I've used this set a couple of times, quite fun and works p well. Just my opinion but from my experience Colbur is gr8

Weavile @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

SD Weavile is a pretty underrated and cool set that I've been playing around with recently. Stuff like Specially Defensive Skarmory, Keldeo, and Azumarill, all take a lot from a +2 Knock Off. SD Weavile is capable of weakening these pokes allowing a teammate such as Bisharp to sweep. With an SD under its belt, it can easily clean up late game thanks to its blazing speed or with ice shard. Weavile's dual STABs are extremely hard to switch into, and this is only made harder if Weavile has an SD. Sure, you lose out on low kick but with the below calcs I will demonstrate that it actually isn't needed for Weavile to function well.

Calcs vs low kicks main targets:

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 370-437 (96.1 - 113.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 313-370 (91.7 - 108.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 230-270 (65.3 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Ferrothorn needs Gyro Ball to beat Weavile.

SD Weavile actually hits very hard and is capable of putting huge dents in its counters:

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 211-250 (65.3 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 234-276 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off vs. 248 HP / 0+ Def Mega Scizor: 177-211 (51.6 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Skarmory: 290-343 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

As I mentioned earlier, paired up with hazard support from a suicide lead or spike stacker such as ferrothorn helps weavile obtain lots of crucial OHKOs. With a partner such as bisharp that appreciates keldeo and mega scizor gone, they can form a very formidable dark spam + knock off core. Anyways, just a deadly late game sweeper and powerful wallbreaker that is quite underrated.

So I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring:

Infernape @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn

This is not exactly a new set in the sense that it has existed and been used before, but I really haven't seen much XY OU mileage for it at all. I decided to start experimenting with this on a Manectric VotTurn squad. Typically when building that kind of thing people go for the Mane+Lando duo, and while that's pretty effective overall it can lead to you being very Bisharp weak. Slapping Cobalion or Chesnaught or some other Bish check always seemed like a next logical step as you don't want to get run over by +1 Bisharp, but is also a little constricting when building. So I tried to cut down on that by looking for a non-Intimidating Turner, and decided to go over the top and start using a Turner that was a decent Bisharp check itself, and that's how I came to this.

Infernape packs a mad punch with a Band attached. LO is an option I guess but the saved LO recoil is valuable because U-Turn Infernape picks up hazard damage frequently, and Flare Blitz also racks up recoil by itself. STABs offer good coverage together and both happen to to have high BP, which creates switches and opportunities to spam U-Turn. Gunk Shot is there to lure Mega Altaria, Azumarill, and other bulky Fairies who can soak up those STABs. U-Turn offers momentum, and also deals a good amount of damage to common Infernape checks like Slowbro and Lati@s (keep in mind that this was originally for a Manectric team, and any damage the Lati@s take the better). Infernape has a deep physical movepool beyond this, and Fire Punch and Mach Punch are options if you want a recoil-less STAB or priority respectively.

So I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring:

Infernape @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn

This is not exactly a new set in the sense that it has existed and been used before, but I really haven't seen much XY OU mileage for it at all. I decided to start experimenting with this on a Manectric VotTurn squad. Typically when building that kind of thing people go for the Mane+Lando duo, and while that's pretty effective overall it can lead to you being very Bisharp weak. Slapping Cobalion or Chesnaught or some other Bish check always seemed like a next logical step as you don't want to get run over by +1 Bisharp, but is also a little constricting when building. So I tried to cut down on that by looking for a non-Intimidating Turner, and decided to go over the top and start using a Turner that was a decent Bisharp check itself, and that's how I came to this.

Infernape packs a mad punch with a Band attached. LO is an option I guess but the saved LO recoil is valuable because U-Turn Infernape picks up hazard damage frequently, and Flare Blitz also racks up recoil by itself. STABs offer good coverage together and both happen to to have high BP, which creates switches and opportunities to spam U-Turn. Gunk Shot is there to lure Mega Altaria, Azumarill, and other bulky Fairies who can soak up those STABs. U-Turn offers momentum, and also deals a good amount of damage to common Infernape checks like Slowbro and Lati@s (keep in mind that this was originally for a Manectric team, and any damage the Lati@s take the better). Infernape has a deep physical movepool beyond this, and Fire Punch and Mach Punch are options if you want a recoil-less STAB or priority respectively.
Echoing all this and giving a special mention to Mach Punch + Iron Fist. Gunk Shot is great baiting option, and being an effective revenge killer is what gives Infernape some traction in OU. With Choice Band it does a surprising amount of damage and can make a huge difference when your opponent is still scouting your set or in an end-game situation.

252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 212-252 (78.2 - 92.9%) -- OHKO with prior damage
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 186-222 (56.1 - 67%) -- Does a decent chunk if you accidentally let it set up
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Infernape Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 306-360 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- Guaranteed OHKO with Stealth Rock or one round of Life Orb damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)