Resource Creative and Underrated Sets

:ss/centiskorch:Creative and Underrated Sets::ss/centiskorch:
Generation VIII Ladders Megathread

approved by ti and drampa

Hello everyone! This thread is for posting creative and underrated sets in Generation 8 Other Metagames, which encompasses all metagames in this subforum. This post will contain tips on how to make a good, well-structured post in this thread, so if you're lost you can refer to it or just ask around on PS/Discord.

First of all, it's important to note what constitutes a viable creative or underrated set.
  • The set cannot already be widely used or common in the metagame.
  • The set cannot be 100% outclassed by another set. For example, Mewtwonite Y in Mix and Mega is nearly always inferior to other Mega Stones.
  • The set must fill a role that is viable in the metagame. For example, Cosmic Power + Power Trip sets in BH may not be completely outclassed, but in practice they underperform against any decent team.
"Bad gimmick" sets that are created for novelty or humor rather than winning games will be deleted.

Posts in this thread typically have up to three parts: the set description, the calcs, and the replays.

Description:
  • The description is the backbone of the post. It should include an explanation of how the set functions, and which things it accomplishes that common equivalents cannot.
  • Something that helps is providing examples of how the set functions in teambuilding and battling. For example, you can talk about how you typically use this Pokemon to make progress in a game, or which good Pokemon pair well with it.
  • Being realistic about a set's weaknesses can actually help you against criticism. If your set is hard walled by a common Pokemon but you can successfully pair it with Pokemon that can take advantage of this, you can strengthen your case for the set being viable.
  • In a similar vein, be realistic about how viable you think the set is. It's okay if some of your sets aren't that good, but referring to all of them as meta-breaking menaces is just asking for unproductive arguments.
  • Since description is so important for really conveying the idea of a set, posts of sets without adequate descriptions will be deleted. Anything above a couple sentences should be fine to ensure your post stays up.
Calcs:
  • Calcs are used to emphasize points made in the description by providing a clearer picture of a Pokemon's matchup against common threats.
  • For example, if the role of an AAA set is to switch into Choice Specs Aerilate Noivern repeatedly to scout its move, showing that the set only takes 45% from Boomburst and can recover most of that off with Regenerator can help others understand how that matchup would play out in an actual game.
  • That being said, calcs are not always necessary with good replays, and should only be used to enhance the description, not replace it.
Replays:
  • Replays are the best way to prove that the set really works in practice, not just on paper.
  • Good replays show the set performing its intended role to significantly help the team. For example, the set could get several KOs, maintain hazards throughout the game, wall out an otherwise threatening Pokemon, or set up and sweep lategame.
  • Additionally, replays should be against at least competent opponents. It doesn't say much about the set if the opponent lets several of their Pokemon faint to it instead of bringing in their hard counter. Replays against great players or tournament opponents are obviously preferable if you have them, but if you don't, mid-high Elo ladder replays will suffice.
  • I recognize that finding replays can be difficult in some situations and is significantly more effort than just writing up a decent description. Even if it has no replays, your post will not be deleted as long as it has adequate descriptions. However, because of the extra layer that it provides, only sets with good replays will be eligible for Hall of Fame consideration.
Something that should also be addressed is the practice of criticizing others' sets. While criticism can be a great thing if done well, it can lead to unproductive arguments and an unwelcoming environment if done poorly. It's okay to post bad sets, but at the same time continuous improvement should be emphasized. Also, keep the global rules in mind here.

Happy posting!

:ss/eternatus:Hall of Fame:ss/eternatus:

The Hall of Fame is meant for sets that prove to be exceptionally good. These sets are usually marked by their success, achieving consistency on ladder or wins in big tournaments. While I don't plan on being extremely selective with which sets are let in, understand that not every set has the potential to reach this point.

I will consult multiple players that are active in the metagame for deciding which sets get let in, similar to the "representative" system from last generation. However, this will not be in the form of a list; instead, I will just talk to the best active players at the time based on my own discretion.

(No sets are here yet.)

Champion Leon

Formerly OM!
Hi Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request)
I am posting something creative, without going too far down the "artistic liberties" rabbit hole of generation 7.

May I present to you, Gold Zeraora #1!

Since it likes Silver Lucario #42 so much, let's show it some love!

Strawberry Blonde (Zeraora) @ Red Card
Ability: Mold Breaker / Intrepid Sword
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Bolt Beak
- Knock Off

I use this as a lead, so it can disrupt the flow of the opponent immediately due to a strong surprise factor and utility, all while providing an offensive presence (to varying degrees).

Red Card - I set up Stealth Rocks, Red Card triggers on any Pokemon that attacks with a Contact Move, forcing the foe to send in a Pokemon at random, already racking up entry hazard damage turn 1. Due to the sudden switch, the foe loses momentum immediately, which allows me to set up a layer of Spikes, or Knock Off on a predicted switch out on turn 2. (I.e. If their Corviknight is sent in and needs to switch out for fear of Bolt Beak).

Mold Breaker - Bypasses Volt Absorb, Fur Coat, and Magic Bounce, so hazards are securely set, while keeping out would-be switch ins. Bolt Beak is just powerful enough to threaten non-bulky neutrals.

Knock Off serves as a mainly utility move to remove items on item-reliant Pokemon such as Choice Items, Poison Healer's Toxic Orb, and Dragapult's Ghost Memory, as well as Rocky Helmet so your Focus Sashers don't fear recoil. I like also removing Safety Goggles for future Spores.

Ultimately, Zoraora can do many things in a few short turns, literally forcing out opponents without having to stop its own flow of moves.

An alternative I have successfully used is Zeraora with Intrepid Sword to bluff an offensive (Choice Band) set*, as the foe will likely not send in a Magic Bouncer for fear of needing a more physically durable check, when they see Intrepid Sword trigger on activation. Not only does Bolt Beak pose a legit threat, but it enables switches based on their assumption, rather than an opponent blindly attacking and using up your Red Card. Fortunately, Intrepid Sword lets it 2HKO even the bulkiest of Pokemon, whilst being able to set up Hazards if it finds itself facing a Hazer.
Intrepid Sword:

+1 252 Atk Zeraora Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Melmetal: 229-271 (48.3 - 57.1%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Zeraora Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Type: Null: 204-241 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Intrepid Sword:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1057125703
This replay showcases everything: Red Card forcing out Zacian-Crowned during a pivotal turn (literally), Knock Off weakening Earth Power from Life Orb removal so it wont KO Zeraora, Intrepid Sword enabling Zeraora to threaten out many Pokemon like Zacian, just hard enough to finish off Eternatus, and setting up hazards so Bisharp could break the rest of the team without fear of Focus Sash.

Mold Breaker:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1057123831
Disarm Eviolite, rack up hazards damage, and enable a sweep.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1057111386
Overall, it threatens out some would-be Magic Bouncers/Defog Volt Absrobers, like Toxapex/Corviknight, and keeps foe's on the defensive. Flaws include not forcing out Special Attackers, Red Card's 1x use, and being slightly frail, although not too frail. Zeraora also hates Defog/Rapid Spin, and cannot threaten out Steelix, or Ferrothorn from doing so, it also cannot break Zekrom, or Zamenta-Crowned.

The name represents the color of the Pokemon, and the color of its item. Stylish, and sleek, it perfectly accentuates its own ability to stand out among the crowd. Go Zeaora! Go!

*I substituted the Red Card for a Red Rose! It is officially shipped!

Last edited:
Since it likes Silver Lucario #42 so much, let's show it some love!
klink.png

rip klink shamers ompl vii
also nice job not sourcing the artist

:sm/zekrom:
Ben Shapiro (Zekrom) @ Dragon Memory / Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Multi-Attack / Dragon Darts
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Roost / Strength Sap

This set is pretty cool, it comes in on stuff like Toxapex and forces them out while setting hazards or doing some big damage to the switch-in. Self-improof with Dragon Memory (watch out for random Knock Offs, though) or improof with Magic Bounce Ferrothorn/Steelix idk.

:ss/zacian:
Zacian @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Strength Sap

Basically works like SL's Pixilate Xerneas idea in Gen 7, except physical. Body Slam is great because it has 24 PP and paralyzes things, which is really helpful against and with BeakRend. Improof with any Magic Bouncer with bulk and perhaps Will-o-Wisp.

:ss/zamazenta-crowned:
the cheese touch (Zamazenta-Crowned) @ Choice Band
Ability: Poison Touch
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- High Horsepower
- Sunsteel Strike
- U-turn
the cheese touch is back and worse than ever before. rip pheromosa.
Improof with FC Melmetal or some PH mon like Gyarados.

Speaking of Gyarados,

:ss/gyarados:
Gyarados @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Dance
- Fishious Rend
- Spikes
Basically SL's PH Gyarados-Mega. Burns whatever resists Fishious Rend and sets Spikes and stuff. Improofs itself but if you don't like Spikes you could always improof with a Magic Bouncer that resists Water like Golisopod or Ferrothorn.

:ss/chandelure:
Chandelure @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Expert Belt / Choice Scarf
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Blue Flare
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch / Moongeist Beam
Theoretically, sounds good with the cheese touch. Hex does a billion to poisoned non-resists, Blue Flare hits Steels, Earth Power hits Primordial Sea Steels, and Volt Switch pivots out of stuff like Flash Fire Corviknight (is that a set? idk dont play enough) or something. Moongeist could also be useful to hit non-poisoned mons, or the incredible 3 steel-coverage to OHKO Tyranitar.

go crazy BBBBBBBBBBBB go stupid BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

:sm/lanturn:
man on campus (Lanturn) @ Toxic Orb
Modest Nature
- King's Shield
- Scald
- Quiver Dance
- Zap Cannon

the man, the myth, the legend. lanturn is surprisingly resilient vs the big wallbreakers (zac, darm, zera, skewda) thanks to his cool typing and decent bulk boosted by king's shield. zap cannon is surprisingly strong and can help u cheese through guys like melmetal, and no offensive mon wants to get close to it thanks to the threat of para.

this set is really stupid and kinda outdated but it beat a bunch of guys

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1044232590-nnj15uz6f53oykcy2pze62df52cj5lxpw vs loser
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1044278884 vs the sub-human garbage that tricked me into playing sm ou
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1048922138-31rsjvsk23sda0sohbcfastfupfskzypw vs chess
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1048925934 vs volkner

:sm/tyranitar:
Midbus (Tyranitar) @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Shift Gear
- Will-O-Wisp
- V-create

i'm a big fan of this set and have been using it a lot. vcreate helps ttar break thru zama, zac, and melmetal much more easily. wisp chips everyone down over time and is nice to have vs the dudes you cant ohko like zekrom. ttar is really chunky so he pretty much always beats imposter unless youre super weakened.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1059119628
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1057371402

:sm/dragapult:
TOOTHPASTE MAN (Dragapult) @ Mail
Ability: Teravolt
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Stealth Rock
- Strength Sap

teravolt revealing that this isn't normalize is really annoying, but apart from that probably the best alternative ability for this mon. hazard removal in this meta is really bad so dragapult can just go crazy with wisp, hex, and rocks. hex does surprisingly decent damage against burned targets but is walled by reshiram unfortunately. teravolt feels like a really great ability in this meta in general. watch out for status.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1059190921

:sm/piloswine:
the pig (Piloswine) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Teleport
- Spectral Thief / Icicle Spear

realistically probably a pretty bad mon cause of weaknesses to steel/fire/water, but the pig probably has at least some potential w an immunity ability. one of the cooler grounds, decent vs guys like zekrom that are running some other tech to catch the toad

:sm/zeraora:
CERA (FORMA DE THUMBNAIL) (Zeraora) @ Magnet
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Spikes
- Freeze-Dry
- Spore / filler

incredibly cheesy set that i added as last mon cause i lost to ate. freezedry bops toad which is hilarious (also hits weakened zeks/etc which is why u run it over knot). magnet boost is very helpful here. i could see this mon being really good with a different ability.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1057517075

:sm/zacian-crowned:
broken checks everything (Zacian) @ Rusted Sword
Ability: Rattled
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
- V-create
- Substitute

sub is broken

never lose to offense again

fc water users r virgins

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1057596369

:sm/primarina:
FISHMAN (Primarina) @ Toxic Orb
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Water Spout
- Strength Sap
- Moonblast

surprisingly cool set. has some issues with fast mons (328 speed at +1 unfort)/ice scales but does alright vs everyone else. water spout is much stronger than you'd expect, easily 2hkoing melmetal at +0. needs really weird support to work (para and hazards are nice) and im still figuring it out.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1059211826

:sm/zekrom:
Ben Shapiro (Zekrom) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Fur Coat
Impish Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Teleport
- Roost
- Glare

really funny set that resists every common physical type except ice and ground. zac eq does 35, darm crash does 42. similar to all other pokemon in the game, zekrom fails to stop darm, but forcing it to click crash is a win anyway.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1059130947

:sm/mewtwo:
hungry mewtwo (Mewtwo) @ Twisted Spoon
Ability: Teravolt
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Earth Power
- Strength Sap
- Stealth Rock

rocks stay up in nearly every matchup. if you have defensive counterplay to the fast mons (which imo is the play), then he just goes in. mostly better version of the dragapult set above that trades wisp and trapping immunity for far superior breaking power, ignoring ice scales and fc is soooooo nice. its mewtwos birthday so i think he deserves an extra spotlight (shoutouts 2 gaster from mewtwocord)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1059119628

other stuff
court change on pranks is good, its unblockable hazard removal that can actually be proactive sometimes. what more could you ask for?
cb intrepid sword ninjask (this was just something i thought of once)
scarf zekrom?
help me find good celebi sets i swear my teams could be like 100x better if i just had a good celebi set why is triage somehow worse than specs
uhh leech seed is pretty good in this meta
every status is good if u can fit it (corrosion is bad)
every person who uses body press is bad. the move has potential but only the bad players are using it rn
falco lasers are broken (fox jab upsmash too)
ban rend vc beak and maybe melmetal
immortal smoke (final gen 7 rmt) out soon
thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Zekrom @ Dragon Memory
Ability: Fur Coat
Impish Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Multi-Attack
- Recover
- Shift Gear

one of my new favorite mons to use, do you ever just use darm or sometimes even zacian as setup bait? well, now you can without getting incinerated by just about anything. very cool set and the free improof is pretty neat too.
he cannot be stopped, he is the funny setup man

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1059446497

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)