Resource Creative and Underrated Sets

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
:ss/centiskorch:Creative and Underrated Sets::ss/centiskorch:
Generation VIII Ladders Megathread

approved by ti and drampa

Hello everyone! This thread is for posting creative and underrated sets in Generation 8 Other Metagames, which encompasses all metagames in this subforum. This post will contain tips on how to make a good, well-structured post in this thread, so if you're lost you can refer to it or just ask around on PS/Discord.

First of all, it's important to note what constitutes a viable creative or underrated set.
  • The set cannot already be widely used or common in the metagame.
  • The set cannot be 100% outclassed by another set. For example, Mewtwonite Y in Mix and Mega is nearly always inferior to other Mega Stones.
  • The set must fill a role that is viable in the metagame. For example, Cosmic Power + Power Trip sets in BH may not be completely outclassed, but in practice they underperform against any decent team.
"Bad gimmick" sets that are created for novelty or humor rather than winning games will be deleted.

Posts in this thread typically have up to three parts: the set description, the calcs, and the replays.

Description:
  • The description is the backbone of the post. It should include an explanation of how the set functions, and which things it accomplishes that common equivalents cannot.
  • Something that helps is providing examples of how the set functions in teambuilding and battling. For example, you can talk about how you typically use this Pokemon to make progress in a game, or which good Pokemon pair well with it.
  • Being realistic about a set's weaknesses can actually help you against criticism. If your set is hard walled by a common Pokemon but you can successfully pair it with Pokemon that can take advantage of this, you can strengthen your case for the set being viable.
  • In a similar vein, be realistic about how viable you think the set is. It's okay if some of your sets aren't that good, but referring to all of them as meta-breaking menaces is just asking for unproductive arguments.
  • Since description is so important for really conveying the idea of a set, posts of sets without adequate descriptions will be deleted. Anything above a couple sentences should be fine to ensure your post stays up.
Calcs:
  • Calcs are used to emphasize points made in the description by providing a clearer picture of a Pokemon's matchup against common threats.
  • For example, if the role of an AAA set is to switch into Choice Specs Aerilate Noivern repeatedly to scout its move, showing that the set only takes 45% from Boomburst and can recover most of that off with Regenerator can help others understand how that matchup would play out in an actual game.
  • That being said, calcs are not always necessary with good replays, and should only be used to enhance the description, not replace it.
Replays:
  • Replays are the best way to prove that the set really works in practice, not just on paper.
  • Good replays show the set performing its intended role to significantly help the team. For example, the set could get several KOs, maintain hazards throughout the game, wall out an otherwise threatening Pokemon, or set up and sweep lategame.
  • Additionally, replays should be against at least competent opponents. It doesn't say much about the set if the opponent lets several of their Pokemon faint to it instead of bringing in their hard counter. Replays against great players or tournament opponents are obviously preferable if you have them, but if you don't, mid-high Elo ladder replays will suffice.
  • I recognize that finding replays can be difficult in some situations and is significantly more effort than just writing up a decent description. Even if it has no replays, your post will not be deleted as long as it has adequate descriptions. However, because of the extra layer that it provides, only sets with good replays will be eligible for Hall of Fame consideration.
Something that should also be addressed is the practice of criticizing others' sets. While criticism can be a great thing if done well, it can lead to unproductive arguments and an unwelcoming environment if done poorly. It's okay to post bad sets, but at the same time continuous improvement should be emphasized. Also, keep the global rules in mind here.

Happy posting!

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
:ss/eternatus:Hall of Fame:ss/eternatus:

The Hall of Fame is meant for sets that prove to be exceptionally good. These sets are usually marked by their success, achieving consistency on ladder or wins in big tournaments. While I don't plan on being extremely selective with which sets are let in, understand that not every set has the potential to reach this point.

I will consult multiple players that are active in the metagame for deciding which sets get let in, similar to the "representative" system from last generation. However, this will not be in the form of a list; instead, I will just talk to the best active players at the time based on my own discretion.

(No sets are here yet.)

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Hi Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request)
I am posting something creative, without going too far down the "artistic liberties" rabbit hole of generation 7.

May I present to you, Gold Zeraora #1!

Since it likes Silver Lucario #42 so much, let's show it some love!

Strawberry Blonde (Zeraora) @ Red Card
Ability: Mold Breaker / Intrepid Sword
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Bolt Beak
- Knock Off

I use this as a lead, so it can disrupt the flow of the opponent immediately due to a strong surprise factor and utility, all while providing an offensive presence (to varying degrees).

Red Card - I set up Stealth Rocks, Red Card triggers on any Pokemon that attacks with a Contact Move, forcing the foe to send in a Pokemon at random, already racking up entry hazard damage turn 1. Due to the sudden switch, the foe loses momentum immediately, which allows me to set up a layer of Spikes, or Knock Off on a predicted switch out on turn 2. (I.e. If their Corviknight is sent in and needs to switch out for fear of Bolt Beak).

Mold Breaker - Bypasses Volt Absorb, Fur Coat, and Magic Bounce, so hazards are securely set, while keeping out would-be switch ins. Bolt Beak is just powerful enough to threaten non-bulky neutrals.

Knock Off serves as a mainly utility move to remove items on item-reliant Pokemon such as Choice Items, Poison Healer's Toxic Orb, and Dragapult's Ghost Memory, as well as Rocky Helmet so your Focus Sashers don't fear recoil. I like also removing Safety Goggles for future Spores.

Ultimately, Zoraora can do many things in a few short turns, literally forcing out opponents without having to stop its own flow of moves.

An alternative I have successfully used is Zeraora with Intrepid Sword to bluff an offensive (Choice Band) set*, as the foe will likely not send in a Magic Bouncer for fear of needing a more physically durable check, when they see Intrepid Sword trigger on activation. Not only does Bolt Beak pose a legit threat, but it enables switches based on their assumption, rather than an opponent blindly attacking and using up your Red Card. Fortunately, Intrepid Sword lets it 2HKO even the bulkiest of Pokemon, whilst being able to set up Hazards if it finds itself facing a Hazer.
Intrepid Sword:

+1 252 Atk Zeraora Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Melmetal: 229-271 (48.3 - 57.1%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Zeraora Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Type: Null: 204-241 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Intrepid Sword:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1057125703
This replay showcases everything: Red Card forcing out Zacian-Crowned during a pivotal turn (literally), Knock Off weakening Earth Power from Life Orb removal so it wont KO Zeraora, Intrepid Sword enabling Zeraora to threaten out many Pokemon like Zacian, just hard enough to finish off Eternatus, and setting up hazards so Bisharp could break the rest of the team without fear of Focus Sash.

Mold Breaker:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1057123831
Disarm Eviolite, rack up hazards damage, and enable a sweep.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1057111386
Overall, it threatens out some would-be Magic Bouncers/Defog Volt Absrobers, like Toxapex/Corviknight, and keeps foe's on the defensive. Flaws include not forcing out Special Attackers, Red Card's 1x use, and being slightly frail, although not too frail. Zeraora also hates Defog/Rapid Spin, and cannot threaten out Steelix, or Ferrothorn from doing so, it also cannot break Zekrom, or Zamenta-Crowned.

The name represents the color of the Pokemon, and the color of its item. Stylish, and sleek, it perfectly accentuates its own ability to stand out among the crowd. Go Zeaora! Go!

*I substituted the Red Card for a Red Rose! It is officially shipped!

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Since it likes Silver Lucario #42 so much, let's show it some love!
klink.png

rip klink shamers ompl vii
also nice job not sourcing the artist

:sm/zekrom:
Ben Shapiro (Zekrom) @ Dragon Memory / Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Multi-Attack / Dragon Darts
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Roost / Strength Sap

This set is pretty cool, it comes in on stuff like Toxapex and forces them out while setting hazards or doing some big damage to the switch-in. Self-improof with Dragon Memory (watch out for random Knock Offs, though) or improof with Magic Bounce Ferrothorn/Steelix idk.

:ss/zacian:
Zacian @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Strength Sap

Basically works like SL's Pixilate Xerneas idea in Gen 7, except physical. Body Slam is great because it has 24 PP and paralyzes things, which is really helpful against and with BeakRend. Improof with any Magic Bouncer with bulk and perhaps Will-o-Wisp.

:ss/zamazenta-crowned:
the cheese touch (Zamazenta-Crowned) @ Choice Band
Ability: Poison Touch
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- High Horsepower
- Sunsteel Strike
- U-turn
the cheese touch is back and worse than ever before. rip pheromosa.
Improof with FC Melmetal or some PH mon like Gyarados.

Speaking of Gyarados,

:ss/gyarados:
Gyarados @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Dance
- Fishious Rend
- Spikes
Basically SL's PH Gyarados-Mega. Burns whatever resists Fishious Rend and sets Spikes and stuff. Improofs itself but if you don't like Spikes you could always improof with a Magic Bouncer that resists Water like Golisopod or Ferrothorn.

:ss/chandelure:
Chandelure @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Expert Belt / Choice Scarf
Ability: Merciless
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Blue Flare
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch / Moongeist Beam
Theoretically, sounds good with the cheese touch. Hex does a billion to poisoned non-resists, Blue Flare hits Steels, Earth Power hits Primordial Sea Steels, and Volt Switch pivots out of stuff like Flash Fire Corviknight (is that a set? idk dont play enough) or something. Moongeist could also be useful to hit non-poisoned mons, or the incredible 3 steel-coverage to OHKO Tyranitar.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
go crazy BBBBBBBBBBBB go stupid BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

:sm/lanturn:
man on campus (Lanturn) @ Toxic Orb
Modest Nature
- King's Shield
- Scald
- Quiver Dance
- Zap Cannon

the man, the myth, the legend. lanturn is surprisingly resilient vs the big wallbreakers (zac, darm, zera, skewda) thanks to his cool typing and decent bulk boosted by king's shield. zap cannon is surprisingly strong and can help u cheese through guys like melmetal, and no offensive mon wants to get close to it thanks to the threat of para.

this set is really stupid and kinda outdated but it beat a bunch of guys

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1044232590-nnj15uz6f53oykcy2pze62df52cj5lxpw vs loser
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1044278884 vs the sub-human garbage that tricked me into playing sm ou
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1048922138-31rsjvsk23sda0sohbcfastfupfskzypw vs chess
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1048925934 vs volkner

:sm/tyranitar:
Midbus (Tyranitar) @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Shift Gear
- Will-O-Wisp
- V-create

i'm a big fan of this set and have been using it a lot. vcreate helps ttar break thru zama, zac, and melmetal much more easily. wisp chips everyone down over time and is nice to have vs the dudes you cant ohko like zekrom. ttar is really chunky so he pretty much always beats imposter unless youre super weakened.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1059119628
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1057371402

:sm/dragapult:
TOOTHPASTE MAN (Dragapult) @ Mail
Ability: Teravolt
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Stealth Rock
- Strength Sap

teravolt revealing that this isn't normalize is really annoying, but apart from that probably the best alternative ability for this mon. hazard removal in this meta is really bad so dragapult can just go crazy with wisp, hex, and rocks. hex does surprisingly decent damage against burned targets but is walled by reshiram unfortunately. teravolt feels like a really great ability in this meta in general. watch out for status.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1059190921

:sm/piloswine:
the pig (Piloswine) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Teleport
- Spectral Thief / Icicle Spear

realistically probably a pretty bad mon cause of weaknesses to steel/fire/water, but the pig probably has at least some potential w an immunity ability. one of the cooler grounds, decent vs guys like zekrom that are running some other tech to catch the toad

:sm/zeraora:
CERA (FORMA DE THUMBNAIL) (Zeraora) @ Magnet
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Spikes
- Freeze-Dry
- Spore / filler

incredibly cheesy set that i added as last mon cause i lost to ate. freezedry bops toad which is hilarious (also hits weakened zeks/etc which is why u run it over knot). magnet boost is very helpful here. i could see this mon being really good with a different ability.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1057517075

:sm/zacian-crowned:
broken checks everything (Zacian) @ Rusted Sword
Ability: Rattled
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Earthquake
- V-create
- Substitute

sub is broken

never lose to offense again

fc water users r virgins

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1057596369

:sm/primarina:
FISHMAN (Primarina) @ Toxic Orb
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Water Spout
- Strength Sap
- Moonblast

surprisingly cool set. has some issues with fast mons (328 speed at +1 unfort)/ice scales but does alright vs everyone else. water spout is much stronger than you'd expect, easily 2hkoing melmetal at +0. needs really weird support to work (para and hazards are nice) and im still figuring it out.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1059211826

:sm/zekrom:
Ben Shapiro (Zekrom) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Fur Coat
Impish Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Teleport
- Roost
- Glare

really funny set that resists every common physical type except ice and ground. zac eq does 35, darm crash does 42. similar to all other pokemon in the game, zekrom fails to stop darm, but forcing it to click crash is a win anyway.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1059130947

:sm/mewtwo:
hungry mewtwo (Mewtwo) @ Twisted Spoon
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Earth Power
- Strength Sap
- Stealth Rock

rocks stay up in nearly every matchup. if you have defensive counterplay to the fast mons (which imo is the play), then he just goes in. mostly better version of the dragapult set above that trades wisp and trapping immunity for far superior breaking power, ignoring ice scales and fc is soooooo nice. its mewtwos birthday so i think he deserves an extra spotlight (shoutouts 2 gaster from mewtwocord)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1059119628

other stuff
court change on pranks is good, its unblockable hazard removal that can actually be proactive sometimes. what more could you ask for?
cb intrepid sword ninjask (this was just something i thought of once)
scarf zekrom?
help me find good celebi sets i swear my teams could be like 100x better if i just had a good celebi set why is triage somehow worse than specs
uhh leech seed is pretty good in this meta
every status is good if u can fit it (corrosion is bad)
every person who uses body press is bad. the move has potential but only the bad players are using it rn
falco lasers are broken (fox jab upsmash too)
ban rend vc beak and maybe melmetal
immortal smoke (final gen 7 rmt) out soon
thanks for coming to my ted talk.

DarkBeserker

Banned deucer.

Zekrom @ Dragon Memory
Impish Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Multi-Attack
- Recover
- Shift Gear

one of my new favorite mons to use, do you ever just use darm or sometimes even zacian as setup bait? well, now you can without getting incinerated by just about anything. very cool set and the free improof is pretty neat too.
he cannot be stopped, he is the funny setup man

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1059446497

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
The alternative to the more standard moveset Rhydon has been using (Water Absorb).

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Spectral Thief / Teleport
- V-Create / Solar Blade

This moveset, as opposed to Water Absorb, allows it to perform as a dual-function Wall and Wall Breaker, where Desolate Land Rhydon simultaneously blocks Fishous Rend Mold Breakers like Barrascuda and can KO their walls such as Non-Flash Fire Corviknight. Nevertheless, Rhydon poses a legitimate threat to some of the most powerful Steel-type offense in the metagame, surviving their attack and KOing them in return.
VS Offense-

252 Atk Rhydon V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zacian-Crowned in Harsh Sunshine: 422-498 (108.7 - 128.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Rhydon V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane in Harsh Sunshine: 394-464 (98.9 - 116.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Rhydon V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Excadrill in Harsh Sunshine: 634-746 (149.5 - 175.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

VS Walls-

252 Atk Rhydon V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight in Harsh Sunshine: 412-486 (103 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Rhydon V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aegislash-Shield in Harsh Sunshine: 336-396 (103.7 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Rhydon V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zamazenta-Crowned in Harsh Sunshine: 358-422 (92.2 - 108.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock. [Non-Fur Coat]

252 Atk Rhydon V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn in Harsh Sunshine: 700-828 (198.8 - 235.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO *Primordial Sea is removed
As a backup, it’s own STAB Earthquake is still a 2HKO against Flash Fire Pokemon that don’t threaten it like Aegislash, and it can maintain its Water Immune role to come in on Pokemon whose STAB Rhydon resists, like Zeraora, Toxapex, Zekrom, and Tyranitar, although beware of Knock Off. In a pinch, Earthquake coverage also serves as a 2HKO on prominent Special Attackers such as Eternatus, and Reshiram, as well as the niche Chandelure, all of which resist V-Create.

Overall, Rhydon is able to hit much of the VR ranked Pokemon from S to D for 1-2HKOs, without set-up, while still keeping its anti-Water functionality, in addition to not sacrificing its ability to come in on the same physical threats it would expect to check on it’s more standard set. (It’s literally only 1 move different).

Lastly, a Choice Banded V-Create off of Darmanitan-Galar-Zen under the Sun is still a 3HKO, so unlike Primordial Sea Melmetal who risks a 1HKO from Banded Fishous Rend, Rhydon can still check Darmanitan-Galar-Zen, who now loses -1 Defense and must switch out to avoid Earthquake. It’s original role largely intact.

The best Part is also how it can remove Rain, so Primordial Sea Melmetal is forced to either switch or stomach a 2HKO from V-Create, especially since most walls minimize Speed, allowing Rhydon to go first.

252 Atk Rhydon V-create vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Melmetal in Harsh Sunshine: 362-426 (76.3 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

——————
Something not mentioned in my BH thread post was Solar Blade:
252 Atk Rhydon Solar Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 476-560 (114.9 - 135.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Rhydon Solar Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Rhydon: 232-276 (56 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Rhydon Solar Blade vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Barraskewda: 294-348 (90.1 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Rhydon Solar Blade vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Primarina: 260-308 (71.6 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Solar Blade lets it punish Pokemon that normally think they can switch in and win, like Seismitoad, and lets it KO Barraskweda so it can prevent it from switching back in.

I feel Water Absorb is kind of limited, but I guess it doesn't boost opposing V-Create, although you resist Fire anyways, as the strongest V-Create is still only a 3HKO:

252 Atk Choice Band Darmanitan-Galar-Zen V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Rhydon in Harsh Sunshine: 164-193 (39.6 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Lastly, Eviolite basically negates the V-Create Defense, and Special Defense drops on the first use, so Rhydon is not completely vulnerable like most Pokemon. Actually -1 = -33%, so Eviolite more than negates it at + 50%.

This allows it to perform as a dual-function Wall, and wall breaker.
——————
I like this Pokemon because it turns a wall into a Wall-Breaker, threatening Zamazenta-C, Melmetal, Corviknight, Aegislash, Ferrothorn, etc. that pack anything but Flash Fire, while simultaneously keeping the niche that the standard Rhydon Water Absorb moveset provides.

I had to provide this set here, not just to save this thread, but to promote an idea that capitalized on the success of the standard set and propels it to a new viability factor of cross-coverage for Grass, Bug and certain Steels. Afterall, Corviknight might soar about above your Earthquakes, but it is melted to a drop via V-Create.

Volt Absorb Golisipod is 2HKOed, and offers little retaliation.

252 Atk Rhydon V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Golisopod in Harsh Sunshine: 168-198 (47.4 - 55.9%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:
A couple SS BH sets for you!

The Big Apple (Zamazenta-Crowned) @ Fighting Memory
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Recover
- Multi-Attack
- Grav Apple
- Spectral Thief

This is an excellent improof breaker. Early game just click Grav Apple to force switches, then late game go for the sweep with Multi Attack. The great part about the set is that the setup can't be spectral thiefed which makes it a lot harder to deal with, and they are forced to switch to their prank haze user, or their FC Etern or something. Flash Fire gives you a Will-o-Wisp immunity and checking Darm-GZ, so if it choice locks into v-Create, you get free setup. Spectral Thief also lets you bonk Quiver Dance Etern if they don't have Earth Power.

My Little Pony (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Primordial Sea
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Strength Sap
- Photon Geyser
- Grass Knot

Click the water spout button and just wash those resists away! Photon is a 2hko on Eternatus, and Grass Knot breaks through Water Absorb Rhydon. The real secret is Strength Sap, which is useful since switchins have plenty of attack to be sapped. This lets Keldeo keep water spout at full power, which means it can run extra coverage moves instead of the dubious Hydro Pump. Improof with Magic Bounce Type: Null or another special wall, or, if you're SL42, Magic Bounce Shiftry. Also, remember that as the Imposter gets worn down, improofing becomes progressively easier.

Zekrom @ Dragon Memory
Ability: Tough Claws
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Blue Flare / Spore
- Multi-Attack
- Grass Knot

Bash through the main Bolt Beak resists with your coverage moves. Grass Knot is a guaranteed ohko on Rhydon and an OHKO on Seismatoad after a layer of spikes (93% minimum). Blue Flare is a 2hKO on Melmetal (57% minimum), letting you break through non Fur Coat variants, and Bolt Beak 2hKOs the rest on the switch. Multi Attack is a 2hKO on all Eternatus, even Fur Coat (52% minimum). Spore can also be ran to help break past Zamazenta-Crowned, which doesn't die to Blue Flare on the switch), but it's fairly inferior. This one's also improof which makes it even better!

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I am saving this thread from dying after a 2 month hiatus! I am powering it up with the power of L’Oréal! :ss/zacian:
Zacian @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spikes / Rapid Spin
- Psycho Shift
- Facade
- Strength Sap / Recover

This unique set is a multi-tasker, and really uses all of its assets in one moveset:

Sets up hazards (or removes them - even against Ghosts), Burns foes with Psycho Shift to bypass Magic Bounce, Flash Fire, and Primordial Sea. You can also Psycho Shift to transfer other status conditions to foes, if Burn isn’t active, or absorb status, if Burned.

*Facade avoids the Burn drawback while becoming 252 base power thanks to Pixelate: 2HKOing Eternatus, Zamazenta-Crowned, and 1HKOing Umbreon / Mandibuzz, Zamazenta.

Lastly, I choose Strength Sap to cut down on slower Steel-types like Melmetal and Zamazenta-Crowned’s STAB and turn the tables on their power to become my healing spree. Recover can be used if you want more consistent healing.

This set is groundbreaking; hit like a truck, spread status, stall out its Steel counters, and outspeed the majority of the metagame, all while providing hazard support, or Pixelate Rapid Spin support against Ghosts.

P.S. Props to SuperSkylake for using Multi-Attack Fighting Memory Zamazenta-Crowned, and Specs Keldeo. They are great options, might I suggest Trick as a possible slash for Keldeo? Would pair nicely to Trick Ice Scales walls, and force them out/Trick Choice lock them out of Recovery.

HUGE EDIT:

I realize my set is literally similar to a set anaconja posted.
I did not notice that until just now; I only realized its existence after I was scrolling up and saw the Pokemon icon, and then read the set.

How funny!
Zacian @ Pixie Plate
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Strength Sap

Basically works like SL's Pixilate Xerneas idea in Gen 7, except physical. Body Slam is great because it has 24 PP and paralyzes things, which is really helpful against and with BeakRend. Improof with any Magic Bouncer with bulk and perhaps Will-o-Wisp.

Last edited:

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
Here's a set I came up with for BH.

zamazenta-crowned.gif

(just pretend it's facing the other way lol)
Zamazenta-Crowned @ Leftovers
Ability: Triage
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Photon Geyser
- Spectral Thief

I wanted a set-up sweeper that would be immune to being shut down by Prankster users, so I thought Triage, which out-prioritizes Prankster and Extreme Speed, would be good. Drain Punch provides STAB, recovery, and priority, Photon Geyser hits Fur Coat users and Eternatus. However, Jolly Zamazenta-Crowned isn't the strongest Pokemon, and Drain Punch only has 75 BP, so this Zamazenta set appreciates some chip on bulkier Pokemon like Reshiram and Mewtwo. Setup can be very tedious on this set, as you need to set up on a Pokemon that cannot kill Zamazenta from 50% or can negate the boost with Haze or Spectral Thief.

+6 252 Atk Zamazenta Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Melmetal: 546-644 (115.1 - 135.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk Zamazenta Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zacian-Crowned: 351-414 (90.4 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

+6 252 Atk Zamazenta Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Seismitoad: 413-486 (99.7 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+6 252 Atk Zamazenta Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eternatus: 712-838 (147.1 - 173.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If you guys have any suggestions, feel free to critique
I'm not the best at Balanced Hackmons

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
1612030486489.gif

Zamazenta-Crowned @ Fighting Memory
Ability: Unaware
Jolly Nature
- Recover
- Multi-Attack
- Shift Gear
- Spectral Thief

A Great Wall that handles low ladder Power Trip, and Simple sets, while also serving as a soft check to Quiver Dancers, Cottons Guard, and No Retreat users, ultimately boosting its own Def, Spe, and SpD to tank hits even better. This largely benefits from the Shell Smash ban because it doesn’t worry about not boosting its bulk, so it can even take on Quiver Dance Lava Plume Reshiram, etc.

It’s Imposterproof as it packs a resisted typing against Multi-Attack, while it’s item keeps it’s STAB on par with Close Combat, without the drawbacks. Spectral Thief lets it go second on Scarf Imposter to steal back boosts and then outspeed next turn for the Super Effective STAB hit.

Overall, self-sufficient, powerful enough to leave dents, ready to Recover as it can outspeed most opponents.

Edit: While MAMP won, I did use Unaware Zamazenta-Crowned to force out her Reshiram multiple times:

Replay

Plus this also highlights their impressive PH Mewtwo set, mentioned in the BH thread, it was a great set to face.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
ok fine i'll post them

:ss/reshiram:
:ss/zekrom:
:ss/lunala:

Lunala @ Quick Claw
Modest Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Destiny Bond

Zekrom @ Quick Claw
Ability: Intrepid Sword
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Dragon Darts
- V-create
- Spore

i've been experimenting with quick claw recently. because of the way this meta works, any item that allows you to turn the tables on your opponent is really nice to have around. it looks rng based on the surface, but it can end up giving you a better chance than a normal team would.

for example, if a normal team has a 70% chance to win, and quick claw spam has a 60% chance to win but you also win if you activate either of 2 quick claws, you end up with a 74.4% chance to win which is even better.

the coolest thing about quick claw is how utterly hard the opponent gets screwed over if it activates. they lose all their momentum and are at the mercy of whichever dynamic, unstoppable pokemon you may have out.

here are some replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1167310164
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1167362946
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1167428420-ox6x94kihsp1nl41dvlchokfhs1ij8gpw

please don't let this become an actual thing

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I have to keep necromancing these BH / OM threads all by myself...
BLM (Zekrom) @ Dragon Memory
Impish Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Multi-Attack
- Strength Sap
- Shift Gear

Block Imposter from healing, deal more damage and block Prankster Encores, etc. as well as Burns, Leech Seed, etc.

Works well bc it allows you to Improof with a Dragon Wall, and easily sweep teams.

This Pokémon is a good mid-late game cleaner where their only option is a set of non-attack damage walls. Beware of Core Enforcer, but Bolt Beak still threatens.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1269739353-gz971yddogoxxulxzf2qgch2b7tzd6jpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1269738376-v2ynecbgnjbcvgtlr4ebouv9oioie5dpw
———————
Also, here is my Cramorant-Gorging set:
:ss/cramorant:

Cramorant-Gorging @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Gulp Missile
Sassy Nature
- Endure
- Knock Off
- Flip Turn
- Roost

Endure works to double-down on Rocky Helmet, and works if you switch out and slow pivot in; but don’t have the Speed to heal before they try and KO, paralyzing a second attacker.

Knock Off works while you force switches, Flip Turn keeps momentum; and Roost works well to heal + resist Glacial Lance once you outspeed due to Paralysis.

Great typing, excellent ability, average defenses, but all the right moves.

You can use Spikes, Nature’s Madness and other moves over Endure / Knock Off, but I find Endure to be very effective to secure Paralysis against Bolt Beak vs say Zacian-C, etc.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1262540180-fptpkfdpk692gl6qgnt9aqumlf8uni1pw
———————
I am saving this thread from dying after a 2 month hiatus! I am powering it up with the power of L’Oréal! :ss/zacian:
Zacian @ Flame Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spikes / Rapid Spin
- Psycho Shift
- Facade
- Strength Sap / Recover

This unique set is a multi-tasker, and really uses all of its assets in one moveset:

Sets up hazards (or removes them - even against Ghosts), Burns foes with Psycho Shift to bypass Magic Bounce, Flash Fire, and Primordial Sea. You can also Psycho Shift to transfer other status conditions to foes, if Burn isn’t active, or absorb status, if Burned.

*Facade avoids the Burn drawback while becoming 252 base power thanks to Pixelate: 2HKOing Eternatus, Zamazenta-Crowned, and 1HKOing Umbreon / Mandibuzz, Zamazenta.

Lastly, I choose Strength Sap to cut down on slower Steel-types like Melmetal and Zamazenta-Crowned’s STAB and turn the tables on their power to become my healing spree. Recover can be used if you want more consistent healing.

This set is groundbreaking; hit like a truck, spread status, stall out its Steel counters, and outspeed the majority of the metagame, all while providing hazard support, or Pixelate Rapid Spin support against Ghosts.

P.S. Props to SuperSkylake for using Multi-Attack Fighting Memory Zamazenta-Crowned, and Specs Keldeo. They are great options, might I suggest Trick as a possible slash for Keldeo? Would pair nicely to Trick Ice Scales walls, and force them out/Trick Choice lock them out of Recovery.

HUGE EDIT:

I realize my set is literally similar to a set anaconja posted.
I did not notice that until just now; I only realized its existence after I was scrolling up and saw the Pokemon icon, and then read the set.

How funny!
This below replay shows how effective my almost year ago post remains relevant after 2 DLCs and the new popularized, by yours truly, Cramorant-Gorging force that normally stops sweepers.

In this replay I used the Rapid Spin variant, over Spikes bc it not only clears hazard in front of Ghosts, but grants a +Spe boost which ultimately let it continue to threaten Quiver Dance Xerneas, etc.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1269039091

With the Burns via Zacian’s Psycho Shift, Facade, and Rapid Spin for support, I was able to whittle down the foe into a gradual defeat by forfeiture...
——————
1612030611273.gif

Zamazenta-Crowned @ Fighting Memory
Jolly Nature
- Recover
- Multi-Attack
- Shift Gear
- Spectral Thief

A Great Wall that handles low ladder Power Trip, and Simple sets, while also serving as a soft check to Quiver Dancers, Cottons Guard, and No Retreat users, ultimately boosting its own Def, Spe, and SpD to tank hits even better. This largely benefits from the Shell Smash ban because it doesn’t worry about not boosting its bulk, so it can even take on Quiver Dance Lava Plume Reshiram, etc.

It’s Imposterproof as it packs a resisted typing against Multi-Attack, while it’s item keeps it’s STAB on par with Close Combat, without the drawbacks. Spectral Thief lets it go second on Scarf Imposter to steal back boosts and then outspeed next turn for the Super Effective STAB hit.

Overall, self-sufficient, powerful enough to leave dents, ready to Recover as it can outspeed most opponents.

Edit: While MAMP won, I did use Unaware Zamazenta-Crowned to force out her Reshiram multiple times:

Replay

Plus this also highlights their impressive PH Mewtwo set, mentioned in the BH thread, it was a great set to face.
I would also like to show the consistency and durability of the Zamazenta-Crowned set that literally saved me and won me the match and was the team’s MVP throughout the battle.

Replay

It used offensive and defensive strategies to simultaneously threaten and tank hits that my other teammates could not. It was no slouch and could easily handle even the Bolt Beaks that Zacian-C kept using.

Beyond this match, Zamazenta-C Unaware is that Pokémon consistently proving itself throughout my team’s lineup and helps thwart PHeal Regigigas, Kyurem-B / W, opposing Zamazenta-C, and Imposter, etc. because it maintains consistency throughout its ability, typing and moves.

As a premier mixed wall, its resistances to Power Trip, Sunsteel Strike, Glacial Lance, and U-Turn allow it to survive heavy-hitting moves regardless of chip, especially with a 4x Stealth Rock resistance.

6 months after my initial post, and 2 DLCs later, the only thing that has changed is how much more useful it is in the face of more setup and coverage options —if it wasn’t obvious... it’s even better now!

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Here's a set I came up with for BH.

View attachment 249844
(just pretend it's facing the other way lol)
Zamazenta-Crowned @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Photon Geyser
- Spectral Thief

I wanted a set-up sweeper that would be immune to being shut down by Prankster users, so I thought Triage, which out-prioritizes Prankster and Extreme Speed, would be good. Drain Punch provides STAB, recovery, and priority, Photon Geyser hits Fur Coat users and Eternatus. However, Jolly Zamazenta-Crowned isn't the strongest Pokemon, and Drain Punch only has 75 BP, so this Zamazenta set appreciates some chip on bulkier Pokemon like Reshiram and Mewtwo. Setup can be very tedious on this set, as you need to set up on a Pokemon that cannot kill Zamazenta from 50% or can negate the boost with Haze or Spectral Thief.

+6 252 Atk Zamazenta Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Melmetal: 546-644 (115.1 - 135.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk Zamazenta Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Zacian-Crowned: 351-414 (90.4 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

+6 252 Atk Zamazenta Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Seismitoad: 413-486 (99.7 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+6 252 Atk Zamazenta Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eternatus: 712-838 (147.1 - 173.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If you guys have any suggestions, feel free to critique
I'm not the best at Balanced Hackmons
My suggestion to you would be the following:

Marshadow @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Poltergeist
- Close Combat

You deal only slightly less Drain Punch damage, as it’s Atk stat is almost as high as Zamazenta-Crowned, but gain Immunity to all of your moves including the much stronger Close Combat, and now even more powerful STAB Ghost-Type attack: Poltergeist.

My thought is your set makes you vulnerable to Imposter, especially Scarf variants that can finish you off if you Belly Drum as they are switched in, since they will go first.

Marshadow has perfect coverage, immunity to all of its offense, and can equally outspeed Prankster, while it can also go first against many of the same foes due to its near identical Speed stat.

Close Combat can also punish Prankster Haze / Topsy-Turvey Steels like Zamazenta-C, Registeel, etc. while Poltergeist punishes Prankster Haze / Topsy-Turvey Ghosts like Giratina and Doublade.

I am so excited for you to try this set! Sitrus provides an immediate heal and allows Poltergeist to break Imposter bc it only works if the foe has an item, so bc Imposter doesn’t lose its item, but you have after using Belly Drum, it cannot use Poltergeist on you! Letting you sweep without Prankster or Imposter from interrupting you!

Extreme Speed can be an option over Close Combat to hit faster Pokémon that resist Fighting, such as Eternatus, Zacian-Base, and Scarf Pixelate users like Xerneas.

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
Just some fun Camomons sets I came up with over WC
:ss/aerodactyl:
Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Stealth Rock
Aerodactyl is insanely underrated in the meta right now, it's an absurdly strong attacker with a nice speed tier and rocks. Dark / Normal is a solid offensive typing that has its benefits defensively as well, namely against Spectrier. If you can get a Dragon Dance up (which honestly isn't that hard given how much this thing pressures out), it's very hard to stop outside of defensive Landorus-T and Steel / Fairy types. Could opt for Normal / Ground, though I don't personally recommend that due to how common Steel / Flying mons are, as well as running into the random Ghost-type Latias could prove to be annoying.

:ss/necrozma:
Necrozma @ Leftovers
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
Speaking of Steel / Fairy types, this dude is absolutely insane LOL. A Stored Power user that just laughs at Dark-types is really hilarious, and it has some solid bulk and power to make it actually pretty threatening. While its bulk isn't the best and Moonlight recovery is less than ideal, Prism Armor makes Necrozma pretty difficult for even Ground- and Fire-types to break without boosting. I probably should've mentioned this earlier, but the best part of the set really comes down to luring Pokemon with Stored Power, which again ties into the fact that Dark-types avoid this Necrozma like wildfire (aside from Poison / Dark Clef but that can't do anything back either without Seismic Toss.) I wouldn't say this is the best Necrozma set, or even the best CM Necrozma for that matter (Psychic/Ground is always gonna be super threatening) but it's fun to say the very least.

:ss/hatterene:
Hatterene (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draining Kiss
- Trick Room
- Calm Mind
OTR Hatterene is the only one on this list that I haven't really gotten around to using all that much yet, but the set itself seems pretty fun to use so I'll be trying it out soon for sure. Basically this set has the option to set up Calm Minds against a lot of bulkier Pokemon thanks to pretty solid bulk with max defense, while dissuading offensive checks from switching in due to Trick Room. Probably requires a lot of skill and precision to make it work phenomenally, but I think it looks fun to use nonetheless. Would be fun to experiment with other typings using this set as well such as Dark / Grass, Dark / Fairy, Fire / Fairy, etc.

:ss/slowking:
Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Future Sight
- Dragon Tail
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
Slowking with Future Sight is a really interesting concept that I never got the chance to fully flesh out, but the idea is basically using Future Sight+Dragon Tail to disrupt teams as much as possible; whether or not Assault Vest Slowking is the best for this job is questionable, but I found it difficult to fit all of the coverage it needed without going 4 attacks. Future Sight in general is an underrated concept in Camo that I feel hasn't really caught on like it has in pretty much every other tier this generation.

:ss/clefable:
Clefable @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Toxic
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
The last one is um... the devil? I debated not posting this set bc I never wanna face it, haven't really tested it out that much but on paper it just seems like a pain to deal with for teams without a strong Ground, Fire or Steel-type to break it. Unaware makes CM wars a thing of the past, though honestly Clefable lacks the immediate power without MGLO for my liking. I think this could end up being an alternative to Cresselia, though my hopes aren't super high as nasty as it looks on paper.

Hope you enjoyed these few sets! Here's a dump of some other sets that I didn't feel like posting about/haven't had the chance to try out yet, enjoy those as well!

EDIT: Sleep moves have been banned in STABmons, don't try that at home now, please.

I learn that from STABmons Doubles

:ss/rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 132 HP / 120 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Sleep Powder

The whole point of this Rillaboom set is to act as a pivot that surprises any unsuspecting opponent with Sleep Powder, then either take advantage of the situation by removing their held item with Knock Off or switch out with a U-turn, which is especially devastating since the opponent usually switches out their sleeping Pokemon. Obviously, it's recommended to have max speed on Rillaboom here which allows it to go before Rotom-Heat does if it's not running max speed. That said, I don't know if I should emphasize more on bulk or offense, so I just settle with a more balanced 132 HP/ 120 Attack spread. I can definitely see someone else emphasis more on either bulk or offense.

Unfortunately, I didn't win any of my STABmons games at all even with that advantage lol

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
guys (there are several)

:ss/regirock: :ss/avalugg: :ss/tangrowth: :ss/tapu lele: :ss/melmetal:
elderberry (Regirock) @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Teleport
- Will-O-Wisp
- Diamond Storm / Spiky Shielf

Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Careful Nature
- Skill Swap
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Spectral Thief

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Entrainment
- Soft-Boiled
- Glacial Lance
- Spectral Thief

Tapu Lele @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Modest Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Moonblast
- Quiver Dance
- Strength Sap

UNVIABLE LOSER (Melmetal) @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Poison Fang
- Shore Up
- Body Press

ph regi counter archive. these guys can pretty much only lose to spore or obscenely rare coverage. some work better than others (tang/lele are a bit soft) but all of these work as your primary guy

VIABLE LOSER (Zamazenta-Crowned) @ Expert Belt
Jolly Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Low Kick
- Toxic
- Knock Off / Recover

this guy is weird. the niche is that you ohko ph regi and ph xern, but im not really sure what you do with the rest of the set. its rather inefficient if you arent spending your time ohkoing people and poison heal is nowhere near as ubiquitous as you might expect.

:ss/kyurem-white:

Kyurem-White @ Assault Vest
Ability: Refrigerate
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Counter
- Blue Flare / Magma Storm
- Grass Knot / Bolt Beak / Knock Off

very stupid. its like having cramorant in the back when you dont have cramorant in the back. the idea here is pretty obvious, you bring in the scales user (typically a steel) and bonk them so your other guy wins. beware scales users that are not steel

:ss/landorus-therian:

smogon(laugh now) (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 1
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard
- Leech Seed
- Corrosive Gas

cursed set. the idea is you corrode away any helmets then kill everyone with endeavor and annoy giratina with leech seed. landot is used for the spikes/elec resist although i think togekiss is about the same level in viability. you definitely have to hope for sets to go right with this (imposter support is simply not good enough) which is why i dont really recommend this guy, u can own ladder players on occasion but mostly its just gonna be slow and boring

Zekrom @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bolt Beak
- Dragon Darts
- Rapid Spin

needs a big improof but overall awesome mon. if they dont have an fc gira you can spin on everyone and then just get truckin with sd. beware of spectral zamac, you dont quite beat it if it comes in on spin, best to run something like a hazard or 2 or somethin like that

:ss/latios:

PLAGUE BE UPON YE (Latios) (M) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Dragon's Maw
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Spikes
- Psystrike
- Recover

latios!!!! this dude is awesome, psystrike isn't quite ideal for beating guys up and draco only does like 80 to regi, but its very fast and can spike on ph xern which is a lot of fun. any bounce steel imposter proofs. id recommend having good counterplay to pixilate xern, he can't switch in forever but can kinda stop you in your tracks while getting his own initiative which is never a good time.

if you want you can run photon geyser HOWEVER i prefer the psystrike animation and seeing my guy do lots of damage to an av mon releases a surge of dopamine in my brain so i do not recommend it!!!!!

:ss/regigigas:

Regigigas @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Shift Gear
- V-create / Glacial Lance
- Court Change

one of the best sets in the meta. you really can't get much better than this. even toxic orb imposter hates switching in and has to trade away hp to meaningfully deter you.

:ss/kyurem-black:

Monheim (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Glacial Lance
- V-create
- Shift Gear
- Bolt Beak

no counters. run lunar dance so you can kill zamac or cramorant and come back later for dessert. improof with prank coalossal. adamant glance is a 62.5% roll to ohko +def gira from full unboosted (+spdef will always die). good times with this mon cause its extreme. its committed to its task so you dont have to worry about random things screwing you up cause youll be prepped for the random things (you dont need to prep for anything else)

:ss/cramorant-gorging:

Impish Nature
- Encore
- U-turn
- Heal Bell / Recover / Roost
- Spikes / Stealth Rock / Sticky Web / Toxic Spikes

best cram set imo. everyone hates encore and its really cool to have hazards on your guy. heal bell is if you lose to opposing crams (this is why it is in the first slash). i havent tried webs on this but its probably extremely disgusting and will make huhshrug forfeit turn 1

:ss/darmanitan-galar:

monke (Darmanitan-Galar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Zen Mode
Jolly Nature
- Glacial Lance
- Bolt Beak
- V-create
- Trick / Precipice Blades

monke. most of the time you wanna switch in on gira spectral/core to aid the zen mode activation. anyway, this guy is pretty prediction reliant but typically someone will die if you click the right button. vcreate shreds anything that doesn't resist it which is a lot of fun.

something to take note of is that zen mode activates at the end of the turn. if you have teleport you can start with snowman but if you come in on a revenge kill youre stuck in darmanitan-galar until the turn ends. you can use this to your advantage by bringing this guy in on teleport to imposter, you will transform to zen mode but imposter will not (unless theyre at 50% or lower im pretty sure) so you are faster.

:ss/entei:

Entei @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Solar Blade / Magnet Rise
- Glacial Lance / Fire Lash / Spikes / Toxic
- Synthesis / Strength Sap

entei is great. feel like people are actually underrating this mon, imposter is about the only thing that walls it and even then it hates coming in on vcreates. adamant ohkos everything up to regigigas with life orb and youre notably fast at base 100. doesnt work super well as a fairy counter cause you can get sapped if youre slower so bring another guy along as well.

shoutouts zap cannon ice scales raikou the goat

guys end here (for now)

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
guys (there are several)

:ss/regirock: :ss/avalugg: :ss/tangrowth: :ss/tapu lele: :ss/melmetal:
elderberry (Regirock) @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Teleport
- Will-O-Wisp
- Diamond Storm / Spiky Shielf

Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Careful Nature
- Skill Swap
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Spectral Thief

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Entrainment
- Soft-Boiled
- Glacial Lance
- Spectral Thief

Tapu Lele @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Modest Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Moonblast
- Quiver Dance
- Strength Sap

UNVIABLE LOSER (Melmetal) @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Poison Fang
- Shore Up
- Body Press

ph regi counter archive. these guys can pretty much only lose to spore or obscenely rare coverage. some work better than others (tang/lele are a bit soft) but all of these work as your primary guy

VIABLE LOSER (Zamazenta-Crowned) @ Expert Belt
Jolly Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Low Kick
- Toxic
- Knock Off / Recover

this guy is weird. the niche is that you ohko ph regi and ph xern, but im not really sure what you do with the rest of the set. its rather inefficient if you arent spending your time ohkoing people and poison heal is nowhere near as ubiquitous as you might expect.

:ss/kyurem-white:

Kyurem-White @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Counter
- Blue Flare / Magma Storm
- Grass Knot / Bolt Beak / Knock Off

very stupid. its like having cramorant in the back when you dont have cramorant in the back. the idea here is pretty obvious, you bring in the scales user (typically a steel) and bonk them so your other guy wins. beware scales users that are not steel

:ss/landorus-therian:

smogon(laugh now) (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 1
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Endeavor
- Ice Shard
- Leech Seed
- Corrosive Gas

cursed set. the idea is you corrode away any helmets then kill everyone with endeavor and annoy giratina with leech seed. landot is used for the spikes/elec resist although i think togekiss is about the same level in viability. you definitely have to hope for sets to go right with this (imposter support is simply not good enough) which is why i dont really recommend this guy, u can own ladder players on occasion but mostly its just gonna be slow and boring

Zekrom @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bolt Beak
- Dragon Darts
- Rapid Spin

needs a big improof but overall awesome mon. if they dont have an fc gira you can spin on everyone and then just get truckin with sd. beware of spectral zamac, you dont quite beat it if it comes in on spin, best to run something like a hazard or 2 or somethin like that

PLAGUE BE UPON YE (Latios) (M) @ Soul Dew
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Spikes
- Psystrike
- Recover

latios!!!! this dude is awesome, psystrike isn't quite ideal for beating guys up and draco only does like 80 to regi, but its very fast and can spike on ph xern which is a lot of fun. any bounce steel imposter proofs. id recommend having good counterplay to pixilate xern, he can't switch in forever but can kinda stop you in your tracks while getting his own initiative which is never a good time.

if you want you can run photon geyser HOWEVER i prefer the psystrike animation and seeing my guy do lots of damage to an av mon releases a surge of dopamine in my brain so i do not recommend it!!!!!

:ss/regigigas:

Regigigas @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Shift Gear
- V-create / Glacial Lance
- Court Change

one of the best sets in the meta. you really can't get much better than this. even toxic orb imposter hates switching in and has to trade away hp to meaningfully deter you.

:ss/kyurem-black:

Monheim (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Glacial Lance
- V-create
- Shift Gear
- Bolt Beak

no counters. run lunar dance so you can kill zamac or cramorant and come back later for dessert. improof with prank coalossal. adamant glance is a 62.5% roll to ohko +def gira from full unboosted (+spdef will always die). good times with this mon cause its extreme. its committed to its task so you dont have to worry about random things screwing you up cause youll be prepped for the random things (you dont need to prep for anything else)

:ss/cramorant-gorging:

Impish Nature
- Encore
- U-turn
- Heal Bell / Recover / Roost
- Spikes / Stealth Rock / Sticky Web / Toxic Spikes

best cram set imo. everyone hates encore and its really cool to have hazards on your guy. heal bell is if you lose to opposing crams (this is why it is in the first slash). i havent tried webs on this but its probably extremely disgusting and will make huhshrug forfeit turn 1

:ss/darmanitan-galar:

monke (Darmanitan-Galar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Zen Mode
Jolly Nature
- Glacial Lance
- Bolt Beak
- V-create
- Trick / Precipice Blades

monke. most of the time you wanna switch in on gira spectral/core to aid the zen mode activation. anyway, this guy is pretty prediction reliant but typically someone will die if you click the right button. vcreate shreds anything that doesn't resist it which is a lot of fun.

something to take note of is that zen mode activates at the end of the turn. if you have teleport you can start with snowman but if you come in on a revenge kill youre stuck in darmanitan-galar until the turn ends. you can use this to your advantage by bringing this guy in on teleport to imposter, you will transform to zen mode but imposter will not (unless theyre at 50% or lower im pretty sure) so you are faster.

:ss/entei:

Entei @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Solar Blade / Magnet Rise
- Glacial Lance / Fire Lash / Spikes / Toxic
- Synthesis / Strength Sap

entei is great. feel like people are actually underrating this mon, imposter is about the only thing that walls it and even then it hates coming in on vcreates. adamant ohkos everything up to regigigas with life orb and youre notably fast at base 100. doesnt work super well as a fairy counter cause you can get sapped if youre slower so bring another guy along as well.

shoutouts zap cannon ice scales raikou the goat

guys end here (for now)
Don’t Primordial Sea Steels counter Kyurem-B?

252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Melmetal: 181-213 (38.1 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

With Strength Sap, Anchor Shot, and Spectral Thief (getting a Shift Gear Speed Boost to outspeed Kyurem), I didn’t think it will fair well vs Melmetal...

Thanks to your Life Orb, Melmetal secures a 2HKO:

252 Atk Melmetal Anchor Shot vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Kyurem-Black: 222-264 (48.8 - 58.1%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

Coming in on the would-be set up (Shift Gear) turn to handle hits the following turn:

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Melmetal: 272-320 (57.3 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Strength Sap will heal it 100% unless you pivot to a Magic Bouncer, so if you get trapped by Anchor Shot, and get Strength Sapped, you lose to being worn down with Life Orb.

Last edited:

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Don’t Primordial Sea Steels counter Kyurem-B?
Yes, but these are currently extinct.

Giratina-Origin @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Final Gambit
- Astral Barrage
- Core Enforcer
- Volt Switch

Here's a different take on RegenVest Tina. Giratina-O still has nice bulk and a little more with AV but this set uses its higher attacking stats in this Dragon heavy meta to be less passive. Astral Barrage is decently strong coming from this and most opposing Giratina don't expect it. The most fun part though is to eliminate something annoying with Final Gambit, like Zama-C, Tapu Fini, and FC Chansey under 71.6% health (I've needed this before lol).

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Darts
- Spectral Thief / Destiny Bond
- Strength Sap

Staying on Ghost / Dragon typings, here is the Dragon's Maw Pult I submitted in matchmaking. To recap:
D-Maw + Life Orb really makes up for Pult's lackluster SpA and makes Draco Meteor very threatening. Dragon Darts is also powered up and comes from a slightly stronger Attack stat that makes it tough for anything that doesn't resist or have immunity to switch in. Spectral Thief makes sure that Zacian-C doesn't switch in for free. Destiny Bond is an option if you want to use Pult's good Speed to take out something unsuspecting like Zama-C in a pinch. Strength Sap rounds out the set and gives it some much needed recovery to shake off LO recoil. This set is walled pretty hard by most Fairy-types and also can't hit Zama-C or other Steel-types super well so it needs team support to get rid of these guys. Mixed Pult puts big dents in slow Fur/Scales guys like Umbreon and Darm-Z.
Giratina
252 SpA Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Giratina: 484-569 (96 - 112.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Giratina: 422-500 (83.7 - 99.2%) -- approx. 2HKO
Zygarde-Complete
252 SpA Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Zygarde-Complete: 343-406 (53.9 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 564-665 (88.6 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde-Complete: 380-452 (59.7 - 71%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Dialga
252 SpA Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dialga: 375-442 (92.8 - 109.4%) -- 50% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dialga: 165-196 (40.8 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dialga: 194-228 (48 - 56.4%) -- approx. 93% chance to 2HKO
Eviolite Imposter
252 Atk Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Chansey: 390-458 (55.3 - 65%) -- approx. 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252- SpD Eviolite Chansey: 484-572 (68.7 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Yes, but these are currently extinct.

Giratina-Origin @ Assault Vest
Calm Nature
- Final Gambit
- Astral Barrage
- Core Enforcer
- Volt Switch

Here's a different take on RegenVest Tina. Giratina-O still has nice bulk and a little more with AV but this set uses its higher attacking stats in this Dragon heavy meta to be less passive. Astral Barrage is decently strong coming from this and most opposing Giratina don't expect it. The most fun part though is to eliminate something annoying with Final Gambit, like Zama-C, Tapu Fini, and FC Chansey under 71.6% health (I've needed this before lol).

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Darts
- Spectral Thief / Destiny Bond
- Strength Sap

Staying on Ghost / Dragon typings, here is the Dragon's Maw Pult I submitted in matchmaking. To recap:
D-Maw + Life Orb really makes up for Pult's lackluster SpA and makes Draco Meteor very threatening. Dragon Darts is also powered up and comes from a slightly stronger Attack stat that makes it tough for anything that doesn't resist or have immunity to switch in. Spectral Thief makes sure that Zacian-C doesn't switch in for free. Destiny Bond is an option if you want to use Pult's good Speed to take out something unsuspecting like Zama-C in a pinch. Strength Sap rounds out the set and gives it some much needed recovery to shake off LO recoil. This set is walled pretty hard by most Fairy-types and also can't hit Zama-C or other Steel-types super well so it needs team support to get rid of these guys. Mixed Pult puts big dents in slow Fur/Scales guys like Umbreon and Darm-Z.
Giratina
252 SpA Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Giratina: 484-569 (96 - 112.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Giratina: 422-500 (83.7 - 99.2%) -- approx. 2HKO
Zygarde-Complete
252 SpA Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Zygarde-Complete: 343-406 (53.9 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 564-665 (88.6 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde-Complete: 380-452 (59.7 - 71%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Dialga
252 SpA Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dialga: 375-442 (92.8 - 109.4%) -- 50% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Dialga: 165-196 (40.8 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dialga: 194-228 (48 - 56.4%) -- approx. 93% chance to 2HKO
Eviolite Imposter
252 Atk Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Chansey: 390-458 (55.3 - 65%) -- approx. 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Dragon's Maw Dragapult Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252- SpD Eviolite Chansey: 484-572 (68.7 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Not really, I see Zamazenta-C using Primordial Sea with Fishous Rend, and other Steels using it like Ferrothorn.

Anything that is bulky enough to come in during set up, or even a +1 neutral or resisted hit and use Prankster Strength Sap, Topsy-Turvey, etc. can also manage it.

Melmetal is not as common as before, but it has its niche over Registeel as a bulkier and more offensive physical wall.

Anyways, here is a new set I am testing;

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire / Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Anchor Shot
- Shore Up
- Rapid Spin
- Spectral Thief

I like Ferrothorn as a back-up check for Zekrom, Reshiram, Eternatus, Palkia, Doom Desire Dialga, Xerneas, Calyrex-Ice, and a multitude of other Pokémon like Zacian-C.

Anchor Shot also dents Pokémon like Kyurem-B, and Spectral Thief hits Lunala / Dragapult on the switch. It’s useful for also stalling out PP via Rapid Spin after trapping, while supporting your team.

I prefer Flash Fire, but sometimes having Primordial Sea can hurt Weather teams, including Drizzle teams bc you make the weather only last as long as Ferrothorn is in, removing their 8 turns of Weather from their abilities, plus it also works against the odd Desolate Land Specs Reshiram to force it out, by weakening their Fire STAB in case you need to switch, while Flash Fire only helps you — but not potential teammates you want to send in to keep up momentum.

Mold Breaker is another reason, but admittedly rather uncommon in my plays.

Ferrothorn has a nice immunity to Spore, Toxic, and resists Stealth Rocks.

I find it pairs especially well with Tapu-Fini to build an anti-Dragon Defensive Core, while covering each other’s weaknesses perfectly.

Tapu Fini @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal / Magic Bounce / Fur Coat
Modest Nature
- Parting Shot
- Scald
- Baneful Bunker / Recover
- Worry Seed / Core Enforcer

Poison Heal works very well for me and oftentimes stalls against the opponent. I usually punish pivots like Cramorant, with Baneful Bunker, or underspeed to fish for the Scald Burn. It can also work to punish expected Bolt Beaks from Zekrom, etc. before switching out. As a nice check to Cramorant before safely pivoting with Parting Shot.

Parting Shot also works great to punish Magic Bouncers so you can rack up entry hazards if you push them out when you predict they will come in, especially with its slower Speed tier, letting you underspeed the foe’s pivots.

Tapu Fini can usually punish and pivot to score statuses and weaken the foe’s offense, including behind a sub thanks to Parting Shot, to better handle Baton Pass Teams like Huh Shrug’s. Very proud of the set, as it keep momentum and doesn’t get trapped.

Core Enforcer is for Magic Bounce sets (to avoid Worry Seed against Imposter), tends to be a tad weak for me, but Fur Coat is surprisingly effective bc what it comes in on like Regigigas, Zamazenta-C, etc. do not typically pack Bolt Beak and are either Core Enforcered to remove their ability, or Burned to cut down on their Atk, respectively.

Giratina also rounds out the core thanks to providing resistances to Electric / Grass / Fighting / and Poison, while Improofing against your Ferrothorn versus Shed Shell Chansey so you can block Rapid Spin, and still not get trapped by Anchor Shot.

Giratina @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Shore Up
- Knock Off
- Core Enforcer
- Haze

Got quite confused by the posts. Is this thread for a specific meta or are any metas allowed? Some sets are so weird I can't tell which meta they are for lol

anyways, inheritance:

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Heat Wave
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

STAB + fire/fighting for coverage, and NP for boosting.

in the hills

spreading confusion
Set dump of stuff I thought up of during the main OMPL season and never got around to using all too much if at all
:ss/heracross:
Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade / U-turn
- No Retreat
Heracross is a neat alternative to Buzzwole as a No Retreat user that has a lot stronger offensive presence. While this is mostly worse than Zapdos-Galar due to its lower speed tier and lack of recovery, it does have better coverage and is stronger.

:ss/Cobalion:
Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Thunderous Kick
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
The only one of these Pokemon that has been used so far from what I remember, I thought of this Cobalion set during the Glacial Lance meta as a check to Ice-types. Now that Glacial Lance is banned, it does have a less carved niche but I included it anyways

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Aura Sphere
- Draco Meteor
- Lunar Dance / Trick
Scarf Latios is a pretty cool speed control option, and Lunar Dance is actually stellar in some games if your scary breaker has taken too much damage or used up too much PP. There's a lot of Lunar Dance options tbh, but I think Latios and Latias are the best since they can outpace setup Pokemon like Zapdos-Galar and Dragonite.

:ss/urshifu-rapid-strike:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Crabhammer / Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- U-turn / Zen Headbutt / Aqua Jet
- Final Gambit
Gambit Urshifu-RS is a funny idea, and can catch checks off guard since it generally has more HP than them. I prefer Crabhammer over Surging Strikes to minimize risk of taking unnecessary chip damage but it's up to you as to which Water STAB you go with

:ss/lycanroc-dusk:
Lycanroc-Dusk @ Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Accelerock
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
This Lycanroc-D set is hilariously bad because of how fast it makes itself faint, but it almost always gets a kill or two. The damage output of this thing is just ridiculous, Tough Claws Head Smash 2HKOs almost the entire metagame, and resists like Ferrothorn fall to CC.

:ss/vaporeon:
Vaporeon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald / Flip Turn
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Heal Bell / Toxic
Vaporeon is great because it's pretty much the only hazard removal that beats Heatran. Other than that, it's just pretty average against other Spikers and Rockers, and is notably poor against Ferrothorn

:ss/raichu-alola:
Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Rising Voltage
- Psystrike
- Focus Blast
Raichu-Alola is a funny speed control option to pair with Tapu Koko, and puts out pretty heavy damage. Psystrike is pretty annoying for most Ground-types and threat stacking against them is potent anyways.

:ss/xatu:
Xatu @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Bold Nature
- Psystrike
- Roost
- Teleport
- Heat Wave
Xatu isn't anything special, but messes up a lot of hazard setters in the meta. Outside of that it kind of loses to everything lol and isn't great vs hazard setters that can pivot

:ss/moltres-galar:
Moltres-Galar @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Ability: Berserk
Timid Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- U-turn
- Fiery Wrath
- Switcheroo / Knock Off
Mini Yveltal is funny, but losing to Tapu Koko is something that sucks as a speed control option. Rocks is annoying for it but Oblivion Wing helps on that front, and Oblivion Wing also allows you to proc Berserk multiple times which is hilarious

:ss/tornadus:
Tornadus (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off
Band Tornadus-I is a weird middle ground between Zapdos-Galar and Tornadus-T, but I think it could be pretty funny on the right team

:ss/sharpedo:
Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fiery Wrath
- Protect
- Nasty Plot
Nasty Plot Sharpedo is hilarious in some matchups tbh, but it's so frail and weak to bulu that it's not worth using for the most part

:ss/clefable:
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled
This 3 attacks Clefable with Fleur Cannon is something I thought up a while ago but have never bothered using. Nothing loves switching into it besides Blissey, and you can even chip SpD mons like Seismitoad pretty heavily. Nothing special though and Clefable has a lot more useful niches it fills

This next section is absolutely evil, so proceed with caution
:ss/rotom-fan:
Rotom-Fan @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Sleep Powder
I mean.... yeah. Weaker and slower Thundurus-T that can put foes to sleep is just so nasty lol... have fun with it

:ss/tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Rindo Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Timid Nature
- Fiery Wrath
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Shore Up / Rock Polish
No I won't be taking any further questions

:ss/frosmoth:
Frosmoth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Sticky Web / Substitute / Ice Beam / Hurricane... whatever really ig
Freeze-Dry Frosmoth opens up a moveslot on it, and I think it isn't *half* bad in some matchups but against stuff like heatran gg lol

:ss/stunfisk:
Stunfisk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Discharge / Volt Switch
- Toxic / Earth Power
- Shore Up
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
THE FISK. does fisk stuff and is a cooler ground-type than every other Ground-type in the meta bc flat

:ss/sableye:
Sableye @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Encore
- Disable
- Recover
again... no further questions. just trap and troll

:ss/snorlax:
Snorlax @ Fire Memory / Ground Memory
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Multi-Attack
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish
uhhh this one is awful but poison immunity is alright ig

:ss/vikavolt:
Vikavolt @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Roost / Energy Ball
- Quiver Dance
Vikavolt is p strong and not awful really, STABs are strong and offer good coverage vs most things. Not much else to it this mon is like not terrible

:ss/vaporeon:
Vaporeon @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Whirlpool
- Perish Song
- Recover
- Rapid Spin / Encore
Make it Vaporeon but PerishTrap that has recovery and blocks flip turn stuff. Encore can make it so mons cant pivot out on the switch, but i'd say rapid spin is better for utility

I'll probably do a team dump once OMPL is over but for now I figured I'd share the unsets lol enjoy

Just sum CE sets I think aren't half bad.

Hatterene (Rhydon) @ Rocky Helmet

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Nuzzle
- Play Rough
- Earthquake

May need wish support, but this thing comes in with 180 base attack, and 105/150 physical bulk. I'd use this over Gallade Rhydon any day. Extremely disruptive.

Incineroar (Porygon2) @ Heavy-Duty Boots/Rocky Helmet

Ability: Intimidate
Bold Nature
- Parting Shot
- Recover
- Foul Play
- Tri Attack/Will-O-Wisp

115/130/135 bulk is decent. Even more decent is Intimidate and parting shot, along with endless utility options. I think that offsets the glaring Fighting weakness. Funnily enough, Pory2 gets Foul Play.

Incineroar (Chansey) (F) @ Leftovers/Heavy-Duty Boots

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Parting Shot
- Wish
- Heal Bell/Taunt/Will-O-Wisp
- Seismic Toss/Fake Out/Knock Off

Similar to Pory2, yet so different. Parting Shot is the crux of this set, allowing Chansey to chew gum and pass fat Wishes. Incineroar grants it lots of support options like Taunt, WoW, Fake Out and Knock Off.

Buttefree (Electabuzz) @ Heavy-Duty Boots

Ability: Tinted Lens/Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog/Sleep Powder/Zap Cannon*
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave/Focus Blast

You could run offensive Butterfree and use QD Hurricane Thunder. Or you could use this as specially defensive Zapdos but better. 75/140 bulk is pretty nice, surprisingly. I think you need Roost and Volt Switch pretty much all the time. Compound Eyes if you decide to not use Defog or Twave. I can't really recommend Zap Cannon (at all), but it's there, with more accuracy than Hypnosis. No really, don't use it, but it won't be the worst thing to use.

Butterfree (Doublade) @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- U-turn/Defog
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw

Congratulations, it's Corviknight but not. Tinted is there because I think sleep powder is not worth it in this case, especially since you'd want roost and U-Turn/Defog. Don't let that stop you from using a sleep set though.

Some BH sets I've been checking out:

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Brave Nature
- Core Enforcer
- Spikes
- Spectral Thief
- Recover

A more bulky-offensive-ish version of the standard FC Giratina. The extra damage lets you do things like this:

252 SpA Griseous Orb Giratina-Origin Core Enforcer vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Palkia: 258-306 (67.1 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Griseous Orb Giratina-Origin Core Enforcer vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Eternatus: 306-360 (63.2 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Griseous Orb Giratina-Origin Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ho-Oh: 154-183 (37 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Griseous Orb Giratina-Origin Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Xerneas: 150-177 (32.8 - 38.8%)
252 SpA Griseous Orb Giratina-Origin Core Enforcer vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Groudon: 157-186 (38.8 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO / 19.9% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes
252+ Atk Griseous Orb Giratina-Origin Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Magearna: 132-156 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If a bulky resist that you can't really hit hard comes in, you can often get a spike set up. Of course, you'll have to do something about imposter, because Core Enforcer only does 30% to Eviolite. The set plays best when you predict and hit stuff on the switch so that they're forced to recover, letting you bring in your next mon for free. Pair with guys to hold off Xerneas and band mold physical attackers such as Helmet FC Bounce Goli, Ho-Oh (which can be a cool if you don't make it super passive), or a bulky Eviolite regenerator with sap.

Kyurem-Black @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Rapid Spin
- Shore up / Jungle Healing
- Swords Dance

This one's definitely a bit weird, but Kyub can pull it off thanks to its really great bulk. Kyub often forces out mons after they realize it has sd, giving it a free turn to spin. Of course you have to deal with FC Steels some other way, but this set's goal is often just to get in, spin and then get out. That is also why Jungle Healing is slashed here, because Kyub is often force to eat paralysis and burns. Against do nothing teams you can often just click SD and start piling on pressure with Rapid Spin because the power is actually decent. This set also threatens Eternatus with huge damage before it can even move, and banded Don (it survives any one move so it can actually stay in on it). You can also try Caly-Ice in this slot, which has way more bulk but a different set of resists, including a nasty weakness to Spectral Thief. You also get a guaranteed check to non-Substitute Dragapult which is nice for fighting the ladder bads.

252+ Atk Refrigerate Kyurem-Black Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eternatus: 344-408 (71 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Refrigerate Kyurem-Black Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Groudon: 264-312 (65.3 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Refrigerate Kyurem-Black Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Cresselia: 147-174 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Refrigerate Kyurem-Black Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252- Def Xerneas: 192-226 (42.1 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (37.7-44% with neutral nature)

in the hills

spreading confusion
Another round of bad fun AAA and STABmons ideas!

AAA:
:ss/grimmsnarl:
Grimmsnarl (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 92 Atk / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Mild Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Dark Pulse
- Drain Punch
- Nasty Plot
Triage Grimmsnarl is a neat alternative to Tapu Lele that utilizes mixed attacking and Nasty Plot to break walls like Blissey and Heatran, as opposed to trying to hit Focus Blast. It also dissuades Psychic Surge Pokemon from clicking Expanding Force which imo is neat. I wouldn't call this an amazing set because you do fall to defensive checks a lot easier like Tapu Fini and are a little weak to opposing Triage, but I do think this set is pretty neat and worth trying out!!! Also shoutout UT for building a really cool team for me with it https://pokepast.es/fd6400d9d43cd74f
Calcs:
92 Atk Life Orb Grimmsnarl Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 354-416 (49.5 - 58.2%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
92 Atk Life Orb Grimmsnarl Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 169-200 (52.3 - 61.9%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

:ss/silvally:
Silvally @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Crunch
- Explosion
- Swords Dance
In my search to make a viable Silvally that isnt RegenVest, I think this might be the closest I have come. Silvally is a really solid Normal-type all around, and is probably the best user of Guts Facade in the meta imo. While Guts Facade isn't a relevant set by any means, I do think it has potential when used by Silvally. Explosion is the icing on the cake for this set, as it lets you consistently remove even Steel-types from the game.
Calcs:
+1 252 Atk Guts Silvally Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 144-170 (36 - 42.6%) -- 96% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Guts Silvally Explosion vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 257-303 (64.4 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(vs Intimidate Corviknight)
+2 252 Atk Guts Silvally Facade (140 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Kommo-o: 228-268 (64.4 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Guts Silvally Explosion vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Kommo-o: 406-478 (114.6 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(vs Dauntless Kommo-O)
+2 252 Atk Guts Silvally Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Kommo-o: 340-402 (96 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
(vs Regen Kommo-O)

:ss/thundurus-therian:
Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Superpower
- Knock Off / U-turn
- Grass Knot
I have been informed that this was a gen 7 set, so I won't go into detail on it too much but imo it seems pretty neat and does kind of similar things to what I remember Archeops doing without the broken Head Smash.

STABmons:
:ss/rhyperior::ss/melmetal:
Bulky Weakness Policy sweepers for HO
Rhyperior @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Waves
- Diamond Storm
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Melmetal @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Thunder Punch
- Superpower
- Autotomize
Both Rhyperior and Melmetal are Pokemon that I think have a lot of potential to be good on HO, but haven't been explored at all. Both of them are a little slow so I'd probably venture to say they'd be better off on Webs than Screens atm (especially in Rhyperior's case where Surging Strikes is becoming more common). Also in Melmetal's case it only has a way of boosting its Speed, so it relies on Weakness Policy a good deal more than Rhyperior. Where I'd say Melmetal particularly shines after it gets boosted up is haxing its way through checks with Double Iron Bash. I haven't had the opportunity to test these two out very much, but I think they definitely have potential.

:ss/heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Doom Desire
- King's Shield / Toxic
- Roar
Roar Heatran is an idea I've been sitting on for a bit and something I've explored in other ways, as I'm a little obsessed with the idea of Future Sight/Doom Desire+a phazing move. This idea can be really annoying to teams, and Heatran being able to do it on one set with a move option you don't see very often is a great way to catch people off guard. I also like King's Shield Heatran right now as a way to soft check Cinderace by either forcing HJK crash damage or dissuading it from clicking the move all together.

:ss/slowbro:
Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Relaxed Nature
- Flip Turn
- Future Sight
- Slack Off
- Counter / Flamethrower / Thunder Wave
Flip Turn Slowbro is something I tried out in the Dragonite meta, as Slowbro was a fantastic check to Dragonite at the time. The idea was to Flip Turn into a priority user the turn Future Sight was going to hit, so that Dragonite would have its Multiscale broken and then take significant chip. Post-Dragonite, this set still has merit solely because it replaces Scald with another move slot at the cost of using an arguably worse pivoting move, which can be very flexible. I like Counter as a way to catch U-turn Cinderace off guard and other physical attackers, though the last slot is highly customizable and has even more options than I listed.

:ss/regidrago:
Regidrago @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Fire Fang
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
I can't remember if I've posted Regidrago before and if I haven't I'd be a little surprised, it's a pretty neat mon that can use common defensive Steels as setup bait with Substitute. With Skarmory usage down now that Corviknight has gone into favor again and Sylveon is still seeing minimal usage, Regidrago really has a chance to shine. The damage output of Dragon Darts is pretty insane from it after a DD boost, and Regidrago can threaten just about anything that isn't a Fairy-type or Melmetal fairly consistently.

:ss/azelf:
Azelf @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Photon Geyser
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Fire Blast / Healing Wish / Explosion
Band Azelf is kind of a meme ngl, but it does have a solid speed tier and a bunch of utility moves to utilize. It's probably not good outside of highly specific team builds, but I'd venture to say it has a niche in the meta, even if miniscule.

:ss/clawitzer::ss/primarina:
Choice Specs Waters
Clawitzer @ Choice Specs
Ability: Mega Launcher
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Water Shuriken

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fleur Cannon
- Psychic
- Flip Turn / Water Shuriken
Choice Specs fatter Water-types are a little interesting right now, as I think these two in particular are devastatingly strong to fatter builds. Clawitzer in particular is something that I could see breaking through almost any team (there's really like .5 good switchins to this lol), and it's probably super potent on Trick Room. Primarina on the other hand also has a strong Fairy STAB at its disposal that helps add to the mind games when trying to switch into it. Toxapex (while vulnerable to Psychic) and Ferrothorn are both really solid checks to Primarina in the meta however.
Clawitzer Calcs:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 184-218 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 71.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 153-181 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 64+ SpD Assault Vest Toxapex: 89-105 (29.2 - 34.5%) -- 7.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Mega Launcher Clawitzer Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 184-217 (52.2 - 61.6%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

:ss/volcanion:
Volcanion @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Steam Eruption
- Earth Power
- Toxic
Volcanion is an interesting Pokemon right now, as it is able to do a few things that Heatran can't such as trap Toxapex and AV Slowking. Obviously, Heatran does have the benefit of being one of if not the best Stealth Rock setter in the metagame, but Water Absorb and really strong stats all around definitely puts Volcanion up for consideration, imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)