Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sorry if this has already been posted but I don't want to go through 30+ pages of pokemon. Anyways my set is scarf excadrill!

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 72 Def / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

It runs just enough speed investment to outpace max talonflame and greninja. A lot of my teams have almost no rock weakness and I found with excadrill that is was just better off attacking and KOing instead of getting rid of hazards. His sky high attack creates massive holes in whatever it goes up against. This set is also a fantastic check against both mega pinsir, talonflame and greninja. The surprise factor plays a big part in this as both talonflame and pinsir would go to their super effective moves instead of priorities expecting to outspeed. The rest is thrown into defence to reduce the impact of a brave bird or quick attack.

Durant is a badass.

Durant (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

Hustle is a crazy strong ability that couldn't find itself on a more appropriate pokemon. Hone Claws patches up his accuracy issue and lets him hit harder. Fast enough to outspeed all base 100s. Gr eat coverage lets it hit most things neutrally, and hits them hard. Lastly, typing and high defense gives him good switch in opportunities.

475 attack that goes up to astronomical levels with Life Orb and a boost. Outspeeds all base 100s

Durant is a badass.

Durant (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

Hustle is a crazy strong ability that couldn't find itself on a more appropriate pokemon. Hone Claws patches up his accuracy issue and lets him hit harder. Fast enough to outspeed all base 100s. Gr eat coverage lets it hit most things neutrally, and hits them hard. Lastly, typing and high defense gives him good switch in opportunities.

475 attack that goes up to astronomical levels with Life Orb and a boost. Outspeeds all base 100s

I've always liked Durant in the lower tiers, but Durant's pathetic bulk makes setting up with Hone Claws very difficult. And if you don't set up, you risk missing in those clutch moments. Also, Durant isn't really a gimmick so much as something that just happens to be pretty outclassed. The true gimmick Durant set though is Scarf Entrainment.

I prefer Taunt/SP/Knock Off/Iron Head. I don't really feel that SR meshes well with anything else in his arsenal, other than the fact he can force switches (for which pursuit and Knock Off are better anyway). I guess the fact no one will want to Defog on you is a plus as well. Also, I don't think Focus Sash takes advantage of Bisharp's capabilities very well, especially since he's not nearly as frail as Froslass, nor as fast. Also, I'm pretty sure 252 Speed EVs and Jolly isn't the best, but I forget what the magic number is. (I'd still run Adamant though).

But seriously, not enough Bisharp run Taunt. It completely screws over anything slower that wants to status you and allows you to ensure a Sucker Punch or Pursuit. It also prevents things that want to set up alongside you in a vain attempt to evade the impending Sucker Punch.

Also has anybody tried Rock Polish Bisharp? I have yet to, but I'd be really interested in hearing results from anyone.

RP Bisharp sounds really interesting actually. Looking at something along the lines of:

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Iron Head
- Knock Off/Sucker Punch
- Brick Break/Stone Edge

After a rock polish, with 252 Spe Jolly, Bisharp hits 524 Speed; Jolly Scarf Terrakion clocks in at only 519 to give you an idea of that speed placement. Bisharp can outspeed and KO myriad threats, but struggles with movepool and the ability to overcome some defoggers, such as Skarmory or Mandibuzz.

Iron Head + Knock Off form a decent STAB combination, but if you want to get the jump on priority users like Talonflame, you can opt for sucker punch. Note that since many priority users resist dark type attacks (Conkelldurr, Azumarrill, Etc.), and many of those that don't can't hit Bisharp hard anyway (Talonflame, Dragonite) Bisharp will often find this lacking. In the last slot, Brick Break helps hit bulky steels who resist or otherwise take little from his other moves (Mega-Mawile, other Bisharp, and Klefki... although if you see a Klefki you shouldn't set up Bisharp anyway), whereas stone edge provides a viable option to break through the likes of Mandibuzz.

The question is, is it better than other Bisharp variants? Eh. It's going to find a hard time to set up, especially when the most common defoggers in the tier, Mandibuzz and Lati@s, have to be outright KO'd to avoid whirlwind/roar. I'd have to say that generally the customary Bisharp sets will probably work better, but it is certainly an interesting idea.

Is was running the standard defog Latios on my main OU team, but was finding that I was extremely Charzard-X and Dragonite weak, as I had no scarfers that could out-speed them after the boost, and was relying on Gyrados to switch in and out of dragon dances. I recently found a pretty nice compromise with a scarf latios defog set:

Latios @Choice Scarf
252 SpA/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
Trait: Levitate
-Draco Meteor
-Defog
-Psyshock
-Trick

I found that Latios almost always had to switch out after using defog on the normal set anyways, so this wasn't sacrificing much momentum. Like I intended, it serves as a great Charzard-X and Dragonite check, especially since most people don't predict Scarf on Latios anymore. Trick allows it to get rid of the scarf fairly easy against teams that lack these set up sweepers and cripples many common Latios counters, such as Chansey, Sylveon, SpD Heatran and to some degree Azumarill.

The sets somewhat situational, but seeing as they're aren't that many Charzard-X checks and even less good defoggers, it definitely could be useful on some teams.

Last edited:
130.png

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 196 HP / 144 Atk / 168 Spe
Trait: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

With this spread and moveset, Gyarados can check many dangerous threats, such as Greninja, Bisharp, SubToxic Aegislash, and Heatran, while still being a terrific late-game sweeper. In addition, this set doesn't care about Thundurus's Thunder Wave, Deoxys-S's Superpower, or Talonflame's Brave Bird, as long as it has enough health to take the hit, because after OHKOing those threats with Waterfall it can just Rest to full health, as many opponents rely on slowly weakening Mega Gyarados to KO it, with a combination of priority and slower Pokemon that can take a hit.

The EVs allow Gyarados to 2HKO max HP / max Def+ Clefable ~90% of the time with +1 Waterfall, outspeed Thundurus after a Dragon Dance and Adamant Bisharp unboosted, and rest go to HP for bulk.

Choice Specs Gothitelle is an amazing partner, as it is able to eliminate the Pokemon that trouble this set, namely Mega Venusaur, Azumarill, Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Ferrothorn, and Suicune, leaving the way open for Mega Gyarados to sweep.

Last edited:
130.png

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 196 HP / 144 Atk / 168 Spe
Trait: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

With this spread and moveset, Gyarados can check many dangerous threats, such as Greninja, Bisharp, SubToxic Aegislash, and Heatran, while still being a terrific late-game sweeper. In addition, this set doesn't care about Thundurus's Thunder Wave, Deoxys-S Superpower, or Talonflame's Brave Bird, as long as it has enough health to take the hit, because after OHKOing those threats with Waterfall it can just Rest to full health, as many opponents rely on slowly weakening Mega Gyarados to KO it, with a combination of priority and slower Pokemon that can take a hit.

The EVs allow Gyarados to 2HKO max HP / max Def+ Clefable ~90% of the time with +1 Waterfall, outspeed Thundurus after a Dragon Dance and Adanabt Bisharp unboosted, and rest go to HP for bulk.

Choice Specs Gothitelle is an amazing partner, as it is able to eliminate the Pokemon that trouble this set, namely Mega Venusaur, Azumarill, Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Ferrothorn, and Suicune, leaving the way open for Mega Gyarados to sweep.
That type of Mega Gyarados was discussed a lot in the Gyarados thread for a few pages, but now with a bit better of a formalized EV spread. Personally, it brings back my DPP days of normal Rest Talk DD "CroGyara", but this one can't be stopped anymore by Vaporeon and Gastrodon thanks to Mold Breaker. It was a bit hard to get going in the state of the metagame when I tried it out last, but it still worked. Now with the rise of SubToxic Aegislash and Landorus+Tyranitar+Keldeo cores, and the banning of Luke and Genesect, this set is even more awesome.

Talonflame also wrecks (but doesn't trap) many of those things listed that trouble Gyarados, only missing out on Azumarill and Suicune. Those two could be handled by some Grass-type, forming a neat lil' FWG core, for what that's worth.

I shall now stop typing and start teambuilding.

This is a very good set that I have used before this has been posted. Mega Gyarados's bulk is simply amazing to abuse 95 / 109 / 130. Its special bulk is actually higher than Latias and it is ridiculously bulky on the physical side with Intimidate. Waterfall has no immunities thanks to Mold Breaker meaning those pesky Gastrodon's can now leave. It has RestTalk meaning that it can stay healthy throughout the match. Dragon Dance is a great tool as well.

However, do you mind telling me what CroDos has that standard Dragon Dance does not? The fact that you are walled by all of the pokemon on the list you provided doesn't seem very appealing to me. Regular Dragon Dance has great coverage and luring in Rotom-W and being able to OHKO it at +1 seems really appealing especially since it's one of the most common pokemon in the metagame. Keldeo is really common on the higher end of the ladder which gives the set a really hard time. Ferrothorn is common as well and Mega Venusaur is everywhere this generation and almost every stall team uses it (or Mega Charizard X). You said the set is a good check to Bisharp, but Intimidate gives it a +1 boost, so if it has Brick Break, you lose. If you want a counter to SubToxic Aegislash, you can use Substitute which is a better choice than RestTalk which takes 2 moveslots. Standard Dragon Dance even has more coverage meaning that you don't have to rely on resisted hits to get past things like Kyurem-B who can just Fusion Bolt you while standard Dragon Dance Dos can just EQ it and KO a weakened Kyurem-B around 54% (a common scenario since most of its sets use LO or Substitute). With RestTalk, you have a 33% chance of not doing anything which is common issue since Mega Gyarados is weak to common attacking moves like U-turn, Thunderbolt, and Close Combat, meaning that it is really hard to pull off. This set can't even force Thundurus-T out once you've used Rest meaning your opponent knows that it is safe to go for the 2HKO with Thunderbolt.

I don't really see why you would use this over Standard Dragon Dance. It's a really good set as I have used it, but I honestly often wished I had Earthquake and Ice Fang as coverage. Do you mind clarifying the niche this has over standard Dragon Dance? The only thing I see it can do well is be a team-player throughout the match and tank multiple attacks, but honestly, if you want this, you should switch Dragon Dance for something else because I never really swept with this set at all (maybe because I was using it wrong but idk).

This set is useless. It seems good in practice, but Swords Dance is simply better in every way. Bisharp has Sucker Punch meaning that it should never use a speed boosting move (unless it get DD or something). Sucker Punch pretty much OHKOes everything you want to KO with Rock Polish, and Bisharp doesn't hit that hard against bulky threats meaning it does not have enough power to break past things like Ferrothorn (+2 LO Knock Off v. 252 / 252+: 74.7 - 87.7% -- guaranteed 2HKO). Bisharp is really frail too. It will rarely have time to set-up. If it sets-up, I would rather have Swords Dance in that slot just because Sucker Punch hits ridiculously hard. Seriously, it 2HKOes max / max (noone uses max / max def) Ferrothorn, I highly doubt anything faster than it bar Keldeo, Terrakion, and ScarfTar can take it in OU after Stealth Rock. Why use Rock Polish, when Swords Dance is superior?

Landorus has a two great abilities in sheer force and sand force, both of which make it extremely powerful. However, with the slight weather nerf, it may be harder to do as much damage as it used to with sand force. To make matters worse, landorus also has an extremely shallow sheer force movepool, making the set very predictable. However, it's still a very powerful pokemon that really should not be forgotten (dropped to something like 40-50 on the usage stats)

Here's a set for Landorus that, although it isn't too creative, I think is underrated and should work:

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid/Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Gravity
- Sludge Wave/HP ice/psychic
- Focus Blast

The idea is to come in on something that you immediately threaten, and set up a gravity. After a gravity has been set up, you can immediately threaten some of your usual checks, including rotom-w, skarmory, whatever else landorus normally has trouble against due to levitate/flying type. As a free bonus, focus blast will now actually hit, so you can hit things for heavy damage like Tyranitar or even Blissey if you really wanted to.
Another good thing about Lando is that it is immune to thunder wave and doesn't mind burns. It's not sticking around that long anyways, but it will still usually net a kill or two.
Landorus packs a lot of power in its attacks as well, allowing it to actually 2HKO blissey after stealth rock (although that's pointless because all blisseys use wish protect ofc), and OHKO max specially defensive rotom-w.

Revenged by: Greninja, mamoswine, heck, anything that's faster with ice beam, or anything that has a strong ice shard. Dunno about counters though besides chansey or blissey.

Vertex said:
This is a very good set that I have used before this has been posted. Mega Gyarados's bulk is simply amazing to abuse 95 / 109 / 130. Its special bulk is actually higher than Latias and it is ridiculously bulky on the physical side with Intimidate. Waterfall has no immunities thanks to Mold Breaker meaning those pesky Gastrodon's can now leave. It has RestTalk meaning that it can stay healthy throughout the match. Dragon Dance is a great tool as well.

However, do you mind telling me what CroDos has that standard Dragon Dance does not? The fact that you are walled by all of the pokemon on the list you provided doesn't seem very appealing to me. Regular Dragon Dance has great coverage and luring in Rotom-W and being able to OHKO it at +1 seems really appealing especially since it's one of the most common pokemon in the metagame. Keldeo is really common on the higher end of the ladder which gives the set a really hard time. Ferrothorn is common as well and Mega Venusaur is everywhere this generation and almost every stall team uses it (or Mega Charizard X). You said the set is a good check to Bisharp, but Intimidate gives it a +1 boost, so if it has Brick Break, you lose. If you want a counter to SubToxic Aegislash, you can use Substitute which is a better choice than RestTalk which takes 2 moveslots. Standard Dragon Dance even has more coverage meaning that you don't have to rely on resisted hits to get past things like Kyurem-B who can just Fusion Bolt you while standard Dragon Dance Dos can just EQ it and KO a weakened Kyurem-B around 54% (a common scenario since most of its sets use LO or Substitute). With RestTalk, you have a 33% chance of not doing anything which is common issue since Mega Gyarados is weak to common attacking moves like U-turn, Thunderbolt, and Close Combat, meaning that it is really hard to pull off. This set can't even force Thundurus-T out once you've used Rest meaning your opponent knows that it is safe to go for the 2HKO with Thunderbolt.

I don't really see why you would use this over Standard Dragon Dance. It's a really good set as I have used it, but I honestly often wished I had Earthquake and Ice Fang as coverage. Do you mind clarifying the niche this has over standard Dragon Dance? The only thing I see it can do well is be a team-player throughout the match and tank multiple attacks, but honestly, if you want this, you should switch Dragon Dance for something else because I never really swept with this set at all (maybe because I was using it wrong but idk).
This set can act as both a sweeper and utility check to popular threats, unlike the regular DD set, which can't switch into those threats more than once, and not at all if it wants to sweep. As for checking Bisharp, just make sure to MEvolve early in the game and the problem of giving to Bisharp an Attack boost no longer exists. You also say that you can use Substitute to block Toxic from Aegislash, but what if it hits you on the switch? With RestTalk you have a reliable counter to SubToxic Aegislash, which is a huge threat, and a good sweeper with one set. Finally, many teams rely on priority + hits from slower Pokemon that can take one hit from +1 Gyarados to take it down, and RestTalk fucks up those tactics.

This is a tad gimicky, but can be very effective when played correct:

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

The idea behind it is that Primeape has decent speed (95) and attack (105) and when coupled with a choice scarf and an adamant nature it can reach usable offensive levels. However, the point in this is to make use of the defog boosts (and possibly intimidate boosts) from defiant to put a huge dent into the opponents team. While this may seem outclassed by Bisharp, the key is is that most people dont know that Primeape has Defiant, giving it an instant +2 attack boost when it switches into a defog. Unfortunately, it can easily be stopped by Aegilash when trying to spam its best move and Talonflame shits on its life.

I used to use this set in Ubers with Mega Mewtwo X, and it works pretty well here with Mew.

Mew w/Shell Bell
252-HP/252-SPD/4-ATK
Calm Mind
Bulk Up
Psychic
Drain Punch

I found a set that tends to mess with people's heads, along with being effective.

Dragonite
Item:Leftovers
Ability:Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
·Toxic
·Roost
·Dragon Claw
·Earthquake

The bulky speed evs allow it to outspeed some of the bulky stallers such as mandibuzz, along with being able to live a mega manectrics tbolt. Roost allows it to heal back to multiscale, and after the opponet is toxiced, this plays same role as Gliscor, save the fact that dragonite resists mire than gliscor. Earthquake allows it to hit those that toxic does not effect, dragon claw is optional for a clean STAB attack to speed up the stall if you get a free turn, or are taunted without a clean switch.

Stall dnite is a force to be reckoned with. Another idea could be sub over dragon claw, since if you get back to max hp under a sub, you still take half damage, but are still at max hp, of course. It also furthers the toxic stalling cause.

Landorus has a two great abilities in sheer force and sand force, both of which make it extremely powerful. However, with the slight weather nerf, it may be harder to do as much damage as it used to with sand force. To make matters worse, landorus also has an extremely shallow sheer force movepool, making the set very predictable. However, it's still a very powerful pokemon that really should not be forgotten (dropped to something like 40-50 on the usage stats)

Here's a set for Landorus that, although it isn't too creative, I think is underrated and should work:

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid/Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Gravity
- Sludge Wave/HP ice/psychic
- Focus Blast

The idea is to come in on something that you immediately threaten, and set up a gravity. After a gravity has been set up, you can immediately threaten some of your usual checks, including rotom-w, skarmory, whatever else landorus normally has trouble against due to levitate/flying type. As a free bonus, focus blast will now actually hit, so you can hit things for heavy damage like Tyranitar or even Blissey if you really wanted to.
Another good thing about Lando is that it is immune to thunder wave and doesn't mind burns. It's not sticking around that long anyways, but it will still usually net a kill or two.
Landorus packs a lot of power in its attacks as well, allowing it to actually 2HKO blissey after stealth rock (although that's pointless because all blisseys use wish protect ofc), and OHKO max specially defensive rotom-w.

Revenged by: Greninja, mamoswine, heck, anything that's faster with ice beam, or anything that has a strong ice shard. Dunno about counters though besides chansey or blissey.

Personally, I think Landorus-T performs better as a Gravity user due to its higher Attack, intimidate to help it set up, and function as a bulky pivot. It's also still faster than Rotom-W / Skarmory. That being said, I do like how it can use Focus Blast more effectively. Landorus-T is also similar, being able to use Stone Edge more effectively as well.

Here's a my recreation of a set that was used against me, I posted it in the Metagross thread but as that's UU now I thought I'd stick it here for OU coverage:

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Power-Up Punch / Agility
- Stealth Rock / Agility / Coverage
- Earthquake / Ice Punch / Coverage

So first turn set up rocks as they switch in something Super Effective, second turn take the SE hit and use Power-Up Punch to get a +3 Atk boost, then spam Bullet Punch. Clear Body means that Intimidate doesn't do anything to you. The set is a bit gimicky, and potentially you'd want to run SD Scizor instead with it's Technician boosted Bullet Punches, but it is a nice set - especially at capitalizing on Knock Off. If you run Agility instead I'd go for a 252 Atk / 148 HP / 108 Spd spread which is enough to out speed 252+ Speed Mega Manetric - however obviously tailor it to whatever speed tier you find threatening.

Terrakion might be the most underrated wall breaker in the OU metagame right now...

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Justified
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

This is the basic double dancer set that wrecked Gen 5 OU but with a small twist: EQ instead of Rock Polish. What Terrakion loses in sweeping potential he gains in punching huge holes in the opposing team. The thing that makes this small change so effective is simply because of that fact that so many teams are unprepared for it. Most people think they can just slap an Aegislash on their team and assume Terrakion will pose no threat at all... I can't even count the number of Aegislashs I've demolished with this guy. In addition to taking out one of the most common threats in the current metagame EQ also has a nice niche as a safe method to destroy a lot of Poison types that resist Close Combat without having to rely on the shaky accuracy of Stone Edge, such as Tentacruel and Nidoking/queen, Toxicroak, Dragalge, and Drapion.

The way this dude works is extremely simple... Switch him into something that wants nothing to do with him (Heatran, Tyranitar, Kyu-B, etc), Swords Dance in their face while they switch to their "counter," and watch their switch in get wrecked almost every time.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 398-468 (122.8 - 144.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Tentacruel: 536-632 (147.2 - 173.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 351-413 (115.4 - 135.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Not even tanks/physical walls such as Mega Venasaur, Gliscor, and Landorus Therian are safe vs this guy...

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 352-417 (96.7 - 114.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 274-324 (77.4 - 91.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 347-409 (90.8 - 107%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Any team that needs a bad ass wall breaker or a great Aegislash lure I couldn't recommend this guy enough... I really don't understand why it isn't getting more usage.

I've never seen this ever be used. At first I made it a gimmick just to use Charizard and CharizardX's typing as I liked the resistances it had for common special moves but after using it for a while now I think its really good.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Jolly
248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
-Will-O-Wisp
-Dragon Claw
-Substitute
-Roost

I'm always careful not to mega evolve too early w/ this as the fairy resistance and ground immunity(as well as not being weak to dragon) is nice and worth not wasting too early especially when I try to WoW a Dragon type before it sets up since Dragon/Ground is their normal coverage. A lot of special attackers I've come across have trouble 2HKOing this thing allowing me to get WoW off and stall w/ Sub Roost. Dragon Claw is the only physical move I use which makes it walled by a few things. Unlike other ZardXs though this thing doesn't really mind Azumarill much as if I get the WoW off it cant 2HKO w/ Play Rough when mega evolved and I can attempt to stall it to death from burn damage if it gets a Belly Drum.

Not really sure how good it is but its been working great for me. Though I know there are things this cant touch.

I originally used Careful 248 HP 8 Att 252 SpD but I saw another spread on another topic w/ a different set and decided to try it and I really appreciate the Speed IVs and Zard X can still take some hits (mostly from burned foes, some bulky waters, and electric types) that wont even break its subs.

I've never seen this ever be used. At first I made it a gimmick just to use Charizard and CharizardX's typing as I liked the resistances it had for common special moves but after using it for a while now I think its really good.

Jolly
248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
-Will-O-Wisp
-Dragon Claw
-Substitute
-Roost

I'm always careful not to mega evolve too early w/ this as the fairy resistance and ground immunity(as well as not being weak to dragon) is nice and worth not wasting too early especially when I try to WoW a Dragon type before it sets up since Dragon/Ground is their normal coverage. A lot of special attackers I've come across have trouble 2HKOing this thing allowing me to get WoW off and stall w/ Sub Roost. Dragon Claw is the only physical move I use which makes it walled by a few things. Unlike other ZardXs though this thing doesn't really mind Azumarill much as if I get the WoW off it cant 2HKO w/ Play Rough when mega evolved and I can attempt to stall it to death from burn damage if it gets a Belly Drum.

Not really sure how good it is but its been working great for me.

I originally used Careful 248 HP 8 Att 252 SpD but I saw another spread on another topic w/ a different set and decided to try it and I really appreciate the Speed IVs and Zard X can still take some hits (mostly from burned foes, some bulky waters, and electric types) that wont even break its subs.
That set got talked about a lot on the Teambuilding Competition Thread. It got a lot of support from people, but you're right, I've never actually faced it before. It seems like it'd be rather effective, with only Rock, Ground, and Dragon weaknesses and good all around bulk.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fling
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

After the swords dance its attack sky rockets to 578 and with fling damaging, toxicing, and boosting acrobatic's power up to 110 - gliscor's acrobatics becomes potent. Earthquake adds up as gliscor's second stab. Even rotom wash takes hefty damage from a +2 acrobatics (considering rotom is generally considered as a gliscor counter + lum berry). +2 252 Atk Gliscor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 136-161 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock. If a rotom decides to switch into a +2 gliscor and isn't scarfed under rocks, that's a dead rotom.

People have been trying to make Swords Dance Gliscor work for as long as I can remember, but that's not what Gliscor is meant for. It is meant to be a Stall stopper and Staller itself, Swords Dance Gliscor is a large gimmick and doesn't it play to its strengths. And what Rotom-W is that?
+2 252 Atk Gliscor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 99-117 (32.5 - 38.4%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Gliscor Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Rotom-W: 135-160 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Aerodactyl has some interesting defensive qualities that are extremely useful in the current meta and I think no one else has been playing him correctly yet. I used him on a bulky-offense-or-maybe-stall team. He can counter Charizard-Y, Talonflame, MegaPinsir, and MegaVenusaur with a single moveset and with proper investment he certainly has sustain. He is immune to ground and resists normal, flying, bug, poison, and fire. The ground immunity, fighting neutral, and blazing speed secures his niche over other rock types like TTar and Terrakion. This set is clearly defensive and speedy in nature and is not so offensively strong, but can definitely come out later to clean things up which could be one of your possible "outs" in the end game. A fast cleaner that doesn't care about talonflame's or pinsir's or diggersby's priority. If you want to use a different mega and are having charizard/pinsir problems, you could try this guy out. But please note the glaring weaknesses to aegislash, scizor, and azumariil. He also hates thundurus' priority t-wave.

Here's the set I used:

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 180 Def / 40 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Roost
-Aerial Ace / ??? Fly ???
-Rock Slide
-Stealth Rock / Ice Fang

Fly is pretty gimmicky but I'll just say that it hits harder at cost of giving your opponent a switch. I used it on a stall team with toxic/burns everywhere so it worked for me.

Rock Slide misses half as often as stone edge and gets the obvious OHKOs it needs.

He is pleasantly faster than Garchomp before megaevolve (and it creeps faster-than-chomp sets by 2 points) and then, is faster than noivern/greninja after mega.
He is interesting compared to Skarmory because he can roost up for free at least once in front of charizard, potentially stalling out some fire blasts, and also roosts in front of pinsir and talonflame. If pinsir tries to boost up while you heal, well, aero just ohkos him and takes a piddly 30% from quick attack.

252 SpA Charizard Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Aerodactyl in sun: (45.17 - 53.16%) -> ROCK SLIDE or use roost as they switch out lol
252 Atk Aerialate Pinsir Return vs. 248 HP / 180 Def Aerodactyl: (32.78 - 38.84%) -> ROCK SLIDE or use roost
252 Atk Aerialate Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 248 HP / 180 Def Aerodactyl: (14.04 - 16.52%) -> lol
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Quick Attack vs. 248 HP / 180 Def Aerodactyl: (16.52 - 19.55%) -> lol
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 180 Def Aerodactyl: (30.3 - 35.81%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock -> ROCK SLIDE
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite ExtremeSpeed vs. 248 HP / 180 Def Aerodactyl: (19 - 22.31%) -> no

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 180 Def Aerodactyl: (47.38 - 55.92%) -> don't fuck with bisharp

40 Atk Tough Claws MegaAerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def MegaVenusaur: (40.1 - 47.8%) -> this fight is iffy
40 Atk Tough Claws MegaAerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Venusaur: (53.29 - 63.18%) -> guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock unless giga drains
40 Atk MegaAerodactyl Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: (96.32 - 114.38%)
40 Atk MegaAerodactyl Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: (80.33 - 95.29%)
40 Atk Tough Claws MegaAerodactyl Ice Fang vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: (98.32 - 116.2%)

-1 40 Atk MegaAerodactyl Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: (46.07 - 54.45%) -> no one uses max bulk

252 Atk Landorus-T Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 180 Def MegaAerodactyl: (61.7 - 72.72%) -> you could roost? or switch out... or give the decent ice fang damage and die...

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 248 HP / 180 Def Aerodactyl: (61.7 - 73.27%) -> You can get 1 Aerial Ace in for (34.4 - 40.84%)

252+ Atk Pure Power MegaMedicham Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 180 Def Aerodactyl: (41.32 - 49.03%) -> OIHKO with AA

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 180 Def Aerodactyl: (84.29 - 99.17%) -> You can get 1 AA hit in if rocks are down (33.52 - 39.65%)
252+ Atk Technician MegaScizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 180 Def Aerodactyl: (61.7 - 73.27%) -> You can get 1 AA hit in for (25.36 - 30.02%)

40 Atk Aerodactyl Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: (43.96 - 52.17%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk (Assault Vest and Guts...) Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 180 Def Aerodactyl: (49.58 - 58.4%) and Mach Punch is (19.83 - 23.41%)

This pokemon is very anti-meta and has great utility. Fast, but doesn't care about 50% of priority moves. It counters some of the top threats. It can roost off damage on things that can't hurt it or on things that it forces it. It is NOT a very good EdgequakeIceFirefang sweeper so don't even try those sets. Instead it targets key threats and picks off weakened things pretty well.

I wilk give two MCharizard-X sets that are powerful and usable:
Type Fire/Flying > Fire/Dragon
EV: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe.
Ability: Tough Claws Nature: Timid
-Fire Blast
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Roost/Will-o-wisp/Flare Blitz.

Fire Blast as the main move that hit a lot of things hard with 130 Base Special 8same than latios), Dragon Pulse is for Dragons and resist, while also providing an STAB. Focus Blast is mainly for Heatran, Tyranitar and Terrakion.
The last move is variable: Roost is for 50% recovery, which id great, Will-o-wisp is to cripple things, and Flare Blitz ois for special walls.

I wilk give two MCharizard-X sets that are powerful and usable:
Type Fire/Flying > Fire/Dragon
EV: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe.
Ability: Tough Claws Nature: Timid
-Fire Blast
-Dragon Pulse
-Focus Blast
-Roost/Will-o-wisp/Flare Blitz.

Fire Blast as the main move that hit a lot of things hard with 130 Base Special 8same than latios), Dragon Pulse is for Dragons and resist, while also providing an STAB. Focus Blast is mainly for Heatran, Tyranitar and Terrakion.
The last move is variable: Roost is for 50% recovery, which id great, Will-o-wisp is to cripple things, and Flare Blitz ois for special walls.
Why not just run charizard y?

Ok, so I was building a team and I noticed that Hippowdown and Landorus-Therian were giving me huge issues, so, I was looking through analysis' and reading them and I found the perfect counter to both: Landorus-Therian. However I didn't want to just run Landorus-T, I wanted one that can counter a ton of things and deal out massive damage, so, I came up with this set:
tumblr_mb1dgpivmF1rcwf0xo3_500.gif

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 220 Spd / 96 Atk / 192 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Gravity
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

Ok, so this set just looks weird. Doesn't it? It is made to counter Rotom-W, Zapdos, and Mega Charizard Y with Gravity:
96 Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 283-338 (93 - 111.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
96 Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 330-393 (85.9 - 102.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
96 Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Charizard Y: 351-416 (97.5 - 115.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
I know M-Zard does not run 252/252+, but this is too show not even the bulkiest kind can survive an Earthquake under Gravity. Gravity is very useful because Landorus-T loves nailing things with Earthquake. Hidden Power [Ice] is just great. It hits so many things like other Landorus-T and Thundurus. Now, the EVs before I get on to the Grass Knot. The EVs are enough to outspeed fully invested neutral Base 100s, such as Modest M-Zard-Y and Adamant M-Zard-X before a Dragon Dance. The Special Attack EVs are just enough to OHKO 252/4 Landorus-T after Stealth Rock, which is great! Now, onto Grass Knot. Grass Knot is interesting to say the least, it doesn't really get the best coverage, but here's why I use it:
192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 367-432 (87.3 - 102.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 247-291 (58.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Landorus-T can now beat its large counter. You only need 12 SpA EVs to guarantee a 2HKO with SR, and 76 without Stealth Rock. Either way, Hippowdown cannot withstand Grass Knot. This is a really fun and special Landorus-Therian that I would recommend you to try out!

Ok, so I was building a team and I noticed that Hippowdown and Landorus-Therian were giving me huge issues, so, I was looking through analysis' and reading them and I found the perfect counter to both: Landorus-Therian. However I didn't want to just run Landorus-T, I wanted one that can counter a ton of things and deal out massive damage, so, I came up with this set:
tumblr_mb1dgpivmF1rcwf0xo3_500.gif

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 220 Spd / 96 Atk / 192 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Gravity
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

Ok, so this set just looks weird. Doesn't it? It is made to counter Rotom-W, Zapdos, and Mega Charizard Y with Gravity:
96 Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 283-338 (93 - 111.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
96 Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 330-393 (85.9 - 102.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
96 Atk Life Orb Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Charizard Y: 351-416 (97.5 - 115.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
I know M-Zard does not run 252/252+, but this is too show not even the bulkiest kind can survive an Earthquake under Gravity. Gravity is very useful because Landorus-T loves nailing things with Earthquake. Hidden Power [Ice] is just great. It hits so many things like other Landorus-T and Thundurus. Now, the EVs before I get on to the Grass Knot. The EVs are enough to outspeed fully invested neutral Base 100s, such as Modest M-Zard-Y and Adamant M-Zard-X before a Dragon Dance. The Special Attack EVs are just enough to OHKO 252/4 Landorus-T after Stealth Rock, which is great! Now, onto Grass Knot. Grass Knot is interesting to say the least, it doesn't really get the best coverage, but here's why I use it:
192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 367-432 (87.3 - 102.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
192 SpA Life Orb Landorus-T Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 247-291 (58.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Landorus-T can now beat its large counter. You only need 12 SpA EVs to guarantee a 2HKO with SR, and 76 without Stealth Rock. Either way, Hippowdown cannot withstand Grass Knot. This is a really fun and special Landorus-Therian that I would recommend you to try out!

I love this set, but wouldn't Lando-I be a better option for the same thing? Sheer force earth power hits harder and has no Lo recoil, you can invest in only special attack, and outspeed a lot more. It doesn't lure in Hippowdon as well, but does a better job bypassing stuff like Rotom-W, Skaromory and phys-def Zapdos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back