Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Pursuit is that you'll be locked into the move, and Pursuit is defenitely not the best move to be locked into.
Yes, but you can trap psychic types while they are going to switch. Also its unexpected which is even MORE of a reason to run it.

Trapinch @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Crunch

Yes, Trapinch in OU. It seems wierd to use Trapinch, a LC Pokemon in OU, but this thing is a good trapper. With Adamant, it has an Attack stat of 328. Earthquake is for STAB, the other moves for coverage.
Trapinch is really slow and has bad bulk, it needs a focus sash and rapid spin/defog support to be able to hit a pokemon. Trapinch is able to OHKO or heavily cripple a lot of Pokemon.
Calcs for Trapinch:

252+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 212-252 (65.4 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 518-612 (159.8 - 188.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Trapinch Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 400-472 (134.2 - 158.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Trapinch Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 368-436 (123.4 - 146.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 272-324 (91.2 - 108.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 332-392 (118.1 - 139.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 576-676 (149.2 - 175.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Trapinch Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 444-524 (109.9 - 129.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Trapinch Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 362-426 (100 - 117.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Calcs for Dugtrio.
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 186-218 (57.4 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recover
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Blade: 450-530 (138.8 - 163.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Dugtrio Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 460-544 (154.3 - 182.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 428-504 (143.6 - 169.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 236-282 (79.1 - 94.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 288-342 (102.4 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 496-588 (128.4 - 152.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 240-284 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Dugtrio Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill@Air Baloon: 105-124 (29 - 34.2%) -- 3% chance to 3HKO
Only reason I can see for using this over Dugtrio is if you use Trick room on your team, and are revenge killing grounded opponents faster than you with no priority moves. I came across one on the ladder, he killed my Volcy. :'( Use Brave Nature instead of Adamant, and 0 Speed IV.

Bisharp @Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
252 Atk, 252 Sp. Def, Adamant Nature
-Sucker Punch
-Knock Off
-Iron Head
-Psycho Cut

This is actually a very good set, even considering that you have no HP investment, and no way to heal. This set hits incredibly hard. Counters Sticky Web and Defog, as we all know. However, this set allows you to take a few more hits than usual with Bisharp. Almost every time I got the Defiant boost so far, I have taken out at least 2 pokes unless Mach Punch or Vacuum Wave.

Well, I came up with a set that may seem like a gimmick and perhaps it is, but it is very effective, in my opinion.
Here it is:

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature (+ Spd, - SAtk)
- Final Gambit
- Trick / Filler
- V-Create
- U-turn

I know what you might be thinking but seriously, this set is golden. A lot of people expect Victini to be a banded wall breaker or a life orbed special attacker and such, so they will most likely bring in important pivots such as landorus-t, Rotom-W and Heatran to counter or check said sets. Here is where Final gambit comes in. With max HP investment, Victini hits a superb 404 HP, more than enough to take out common and key team members with Final Gambit. Just send out Vic and click Final gambit, basically. The scarf is on Victini to allow it to outspeed all of OU bar anything scarfed with more than 100 base speed. It will obviously speed tie with scarfed base 100's such as Salamence but those are rare, so yeah. This mon can straight up take out a key Pokemon in your opponents team with zero effort. You can spam u turn a bit before going for the Gambit to seem like a normal victini and then when the opportunity presents itself, BAM! Final Gambit. Rocks need to be off the field when using this set to ensure Victini is able to take out a Pokemon with < 404 HP, which is rather easy to do.

This set is good for taking out Calm Mind users such as Clefable, Suicune, Lati@s, Keldeo, and stuff. (They can boost to infinity if they want; Final Gambit is still taking them down.) Not many pokemon have base 100 HP, so this Victini can really put the opposition in the toilet by taking out a key sweeper, pivot, defogger, etc. Oh, and ghosts will not switch into Victini unless, you know, drugs.

Yep so that's pretty much it. The Asstini set. :]

Last edited:

Bisharp @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Low Kick / Iron Head
- Magnet Rise

I've been using this set and after a couple battles I must say I'm loving it. It acts as a deterrent to defog, and removes items for maximum hazards efficiency. I paired it with Clefable and Chesnaught (A really solid core) to get my hazards up and keep them up. What I love most about this is that it sets up all over defensive Landorus-T and Gliscor. I sometimes miss Sucker Punch's utility, but I haven't found myself needing it to revenge kill because the core I use to set up hazards and keep them is just that solid. Knock Off has great utility as well and is arguably just as useful as Sucker Punch. So this Bisharp isn't really meant to sweep but break down bulky cores and it does that job really well.

Is Tri Attacks primary function to inflict status while inflicting some bit of damage or to inflict considerable amounts of damage? Because if it is the latter, it isnt doing it that good. I calced against Celebi because it has the 100/100/100 defensive stats, and you if you dont pack Bounce your normal STAB would be the preferred move.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sawsbuck Nature Power vs. 220 HP / 0 SpD Celebi: 114-136 (28.7 - 34.3%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Sawsbuck Return vs. 220 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 199-235 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The physical set hits way harder, and unless you are trying to lure in some physical wall who has absolutely terrible special bulk i dont see much usage for that set apart from spreading status.

A bit new here, but I came up with a moveset I'm feeling rather comfortable with.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 SpA
Naive Nature
- Nature Power (Tri Attack)
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Wild Charge/Bounce/Shadow Ball

Behold, MixBuck. Though Sawsbuck lost access to Earthquake this generation (with the changes to Nature Power), it gained a new toy in the form of a Serene Grace-boosted Tri Attack. Despite the deer's middling 60 base Special Attack, having a whopping 40% chance to either burn, paralyze, or freeze your opponent is no joke, and it finally allows Serene Grace to finally be of use to the seasonal florafauna.

Barring its pre-evolution, only two other Pokémon have access to a grace-boosted Tri Attack: Shaymin-Sky and Togekiss. Both have a higher base Special Attack than Sawsbuck, but lack STAB on Tri Attack (the latter due to its changed typing this generation) and generally have access to better moves. For Sawsbuck, the combination of STAB and Life Orb brings Tri Attack's power to more acceptable levels, and its respectable 95 base Speed lets it fire off Tri Attack more easily than Togekiss.

Horn Leech is used for physical STAB and increased survivability, and works great in tandem with Life Orb. Jump Kick can dent Steel-types considerably, and also functions as a substitute for the long-gone NP Earthquake.

The last slot is for additional coverage and/or status infliction. Wild Charge nails Flying-types hard, though the combined recoil of Wild Charge and Life Orb may quickly wear down Sawsbuck, even with access to Horn Leech. Bounce gives Sawsbuck a chance to cripple the majority of resistant switch-ins with its whopping 60% chance of paralysis, though its low PP, shaky accuracy, and unreliability against Protect users may discourage its use in favor of other more reliable moves. Shadow Ball prevents Sawsbuck from being completely walled by Ghost-types, and the 40% chance for a Special Defense drop can even let Sawsbuck hit non-Ghost-types harder with Tri Attack.

Water-types such as Slowking, Jellicent and Rotom-W maker excellent partners for Sawsbuck, able to switch in on many of Sawsbuck's weaknesses, and either set up against crippled opponents who switch out, or hitting hard with Hex against those who stay in.
Biggest problem here is that Sawsbuck is a physical attacker and Tri-Attack is a special attack. Unfortunately Sawsbuck has little or no use in OU this gen with the loss of perma-sun to abuse Chlorophyll with (one of the only reasons I miss perma weather).

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
Well, thanks for the input, guys. Yeah, maybe I got a bit too hyped over the idea of Sawsbuck getting Grace-boosted Tri Attack. I was hoping to use it mainly for status infliction; ultimately it's one of those sets that sounds great on paper, but suffers from poor execution.

Well you could make it a resto-chesto set other than having a random sitrus berry.
Well, I did note that the item slot and Discharge were open to change, I just haven't used Chesto Rest much. That said, I'd be more curious about other aspects of the build. I know some of the positives, but there may be some major negatives that outweigh the strengths I posted. I'm starting to battle some more but I imagine there could be some major thing I over looked, a few of which could be the difference between "underrated" and "shitty gimmick".

I present to you:
Support Gliscor!

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter*
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- U-turn / Taunt

*Poison Heal + Defog can not be used together.

Even though Defog + Poison Heal aren't compatible, Gliscor functions very well without it. With access to Defog and a Neutrally to Stealth rock, plus a immunity to other hazards, it functions very well as a hazard remover. And on top of that, it has access to Stealth Rock and has very good bulk. Roost Is an excellent recovery option and can also protect you from some nasty KOs from ice type attacks. U-turn works very well against faster opponents, giving you momentum. Taunt can be used to stop support Pokemon in there tracks.

I present to you:
Support Gliscor!

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter*
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- U-turn / Taunt

*Poison Heal + Defog can not be used together.

Even though Defog + Poison Heal aren't compatible, Gliscor functions very well without it. With access to Defog and a Neutrally to Stealth rock, plus a immunity to other hazards, it functions very well as a hazard remover. And on top of that, it has access to Stealth Rock and has very good bulk. Roost Is an excellent recovery option and can also protect you from some nasty KOs from ice type attacks. U-turn works very well against faster opponents, giving you momentum. Taunt can be used to stop support Pokemon in there tracks.
I like it. I probably would just find another Defogger and give Gliscor Poison Heal as that's the reason why Gliscor is Gliscor. I think that Gliscor would be great, but have you ever tried Knock Off on Gliscor?

I like it. I probably would just find another Defogger and give Gliscor Poison Heal as that's the reason why Gliscor is Gliscor. I think that Gliscor would be great, but have you ever tried Knock Off on Gliscor?
For just the secondary effect, it's not worth a move lot.

Also, you don't need poison heal, unless of course you want to Sub - Protect Stall.
[side note: Gliscor was still an OU defencive poke in DP without poison heal]

I saw something interesting from the "silly things on the OU ladder" thread and I wanted to post about it here.

Lopunny @ Assault Vest
Ability: Klutz
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Return
- Drain Punch / Elemental Punches

EVs and other moves need tinkering, but I wanted to point out the potential to permanently Taunt something with Switcheroo + Assault Vest + Klutz. Viable? Perhaps. I feel like most defensive walls would want to come in on Lopunny (or just a bulky fighting type...) to ruin your day, then feel really awkward about suddenly getting an assault vest. Granted, it would make them pretty unbreakable, but without recovery they'll get worn down eventually. Drawbacks include them switching in Conkeldurr. WHOOPS
I'd seriously recommend Scarf because that can screw over offensive Pokemon too. If it's tricked onto something without support moves all you do is maker it bulkier. Lopunny also has a poor attack stat, use stuff like T-Wave.

I'd seriously recommend Scarf because that can screw over offensive Pokemon too. If it's tricked onto something without support moves all you do is maker it bulkier. Lopunny also has a poor attack stat, use stuff like T-Wave.
Eh, just an idea, never hurt to check it out. Scarf Switcheroo is standard anyway, so this train of thought has stationed.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I saw something interesting from the "silly things on the OU ladder" thread and I wanted to post about it here.

Lopunny @ Assault Vest
Ability: Klutz
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Return

EVs and other moves need tinkering, but I wanted to point out the potential to permanently Taunt something with Switcheroo + Assault Vest + Klutz. Viable? Perhaps. I feel like most defensive walls would want to come in on Lopunny (or just a bulky fighting type...) to ruin your day, then feel really awkward about suddenly getting an assault vest. Granted, it would make them pretty unbreakable, but without recovery they'll get worn down eventually. Drawbacks include them switching in Conkeldurr. WHOOPS
That's cool and all but people already know about it. People know that Lopunny has a very high chance of Switcherooing you an AV. That alone kinda makes Lopunny useless.

Bisharp @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Def
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch / Stealth Rock / Substitute

Basically, it's Bisharp with an annoyer set. I don't ever see Bisharp with Thunder Wave, even though it's a pretty nice move given its speed. After Bisharp thunder waves something, knock off its item and start paraflinching with Iron Head. A paralyzed opponent has only a 52.5% chance to move if you use Iron Head, so you can rack up the damage that way. The last slot is mostly filler, Sucker Punch can help sweep through offensive opponents if you get a Defiant boost because you are probably not going to get another one. Stealth Rock is what I run, because I don't have a separate SR setter, and Substitute just makes it even more annoying to take down.

The EVs are somewhat arbitrary. There's enough attack to OHKO a 252/4 Latias, and then the rest is put into being defensive, but you can split the stats as you like.

Murkow
Evolite
Prankster
Ev 252 hp 252 spd 4 def
Move set
Mean look
Perish song
Roost
Defog/ protect/ toxic

Murkow is one of the only pri defog users. However it is also one of the few to learn mean look and perish song. The idea of the set is to switch it in on a poke that can't hurt it like mega venasaur, gliscor, heatran . Then either mean look if u predict that they think there poke is safe, perish song or toxic the switch to build momentum. If they stay next turn use perish song then follow up with roost. This set is also good against there final poke if they r tying to late game sweep.

That's cool and all but people already know about it. People know that Lopunny has a very high chance of Switcherooing you an AV. That alone kinda makes Lopunny useless.
Yeah, it is nothing wrong with the set and so but it isnt new and because of that your opponents will often suspect that Lopunny is holding a Assault Vest since it is the only pokemon i know who can perform the combo between AV and Switcheroo/Trick.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Vanilluxe @Leftovers/Life orb
200 hp / 252 sp. atk / 56 spe
Modest
-Ice Beam
-Flash Cannon
-Signal Beam/HP Fire
-Automonize
This is a pretty decent set but it could be made better. With decent bulk and a few common weaknesses (not to mention Weak Armor) it's an okay user of Weakness Policy; with Autotomize it's possible to reach +3 Speed and +2 offenses which is always nice. Also Freeze Dry > Ice Beam. Although it's a slight drop in power, Freeze Dry lets you slap Rotom-W where before it walled you. I believe a set like this was posted somewhere on the Battle Spot forum... Here. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/weird-sets-youve-seen-on-battle-spot.3495438/page-3

Vanilluxe @ Weakness Policy
Modest
Weak Armour
252 HP/252 Sp. Atk/4 Def
-Autotomize
-Freeze Dry
-Flash Cannon
-HP [Fire]

With 71/85/95 defenses and Ice typing, i feel that there is a high risk that Vanilluxe will either die or get really damaged while it tries to get its Weakness Policy activated. Sorry, but screaming ''Hit me with an supereffective attack!'' while being an Ice type with pretty mediocre defenses doesnt make sense to me.

This is a pretty decent set but it could be made better. With decent bulk and a few common weaknesses (not to mention Weak Armor) it's an okay user of Weakness Policy; with Autotomize it's possible to reach +3 Speed and +2 offenses which is always nice. Also Freeze Dry > Ice Beam. Although it's a slight drop in power, Freeze Dry lets you slap Rotom-W where before it walled you. I believe a set like this was posted somewhere on the Battle Spot forum... Here. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/weird-sets-youve-seen-on-battle-spot.3495438/page-3

Modest
Weak Armour
252 HP/252 Sp. Atk/4 Def
-Autotomize
-Freeze Dry
-Flash Cannon
-HP [Fire]
You should probably slash Weather Ball in the third slot. I'm always tempted to run Ice Shard in this guy because how weak it is against priority.

Modest
Weak Armour
252 HP/252 Sp. Atk/4 Def
-Autotomize
-Freeze Dry
-Flash Cannon
-HP [Fire]
Good set, but try 248 hp and 8 defense so you take 24% from SR. Also I changed Ice beam to Ice beam/Freeze fry.

A great revenge killer :

Archeops @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Head Smash
- U-turn
- Dragon Claw/Aerial Ace/Stone Edge

While Scarf was unnecessary for it in BW RU regarding to its speed, they're too many fast threats in XY OU for its 110 base speed to be sufficient alone.

Head Smash OHKO many, many things including both mega-Charizard, Talonflame even after defeatist activated after a banded brave bird, and in fact a lot of thins that are not even vulnerable to Rock like latios or rotom-w.

If Archeops is used as a lead it can easily escape a bad match-up still landing pretty decent damages with U-turn which provide psy-type coverage too,

Other moves are for coverage, earthquake putting Mega-Lucario in any priority attack/entry hazard kill range, even OHKOing with luck. Dragon claw/Aerial Ace won't be of much use but may be useful when you don't want to place all your bet on your opponent (not) switching. But most time U-turn will do just that job AND help you keep your momentum.

Still this set is highly threatened by wall with mass HP, they can switch into your Head Smash, sponging it while putting you under 50% HP, rendering Archeops almost useless.

SR weakness is annoying, but Archeops is not going to switch that much anyway due to its frailty.

EDIT : Under the suggestion of Dododoggy i've added stone edge to the fourth moveslot, it still ohko both mega-charizard, do pretty decent damage on other OU threats and is safer. But it should not replace the Head Smash slot wich let you threat more extra pokemons than Dragon Claw or Aerial Ace would.

Last edited:
A great revenge killer :

Archeops @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Head Smash
- U-turn
- Dragon Claw/Aerial Ace

While Scarf was unnecessary for it in BW RU regarding to its speed, they're too many fast threats in XY OU for its 110 base speed to be sufficient alone.

Head Smash OHKO many, many things including both mega-Charizard, Talonflame even after defeatist activated after a banded brave bird, and in fact a lot of thins that are not even vulnerable to Rock like latios or rotom-w.

If Archeops is used as a lead it can easily escape a bad match-up still landing pretty decent damages with U-turn which provide psy-type coverage too,

Other moves are for coverage, earthquake putting Mega-Lucario in any priority attack/entry hazard kill range, even OHKOing with luck. Dragon claw/Aerial Ace won't be of much use but may be useful when you don't want to place all your bet on your opponent (not) switching. But most time U-turn will do just that job AND help you keep your momentum.

Still this set is highly threatened by wall with mass HP, they can switch into your Head Smash, sponging it while putting you under 50% HP, rendering Archeops almost useless.

SR weakness is annoying, but Archeops is not going to switch that much anyway due to its frailty.
Nice set! However I think you should also list Stone Edge for an option instead of head smash since the recoil from head smash and defeatist can be a downfall for this amazing pokemon and people that want to try using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)