CAP 8 Cyclohm Playtesting

Good point. I feel stupid now.

Eh, I thought it did resist water. In any case, I'll try running it with a different move in that slot, here in a little while.

=/
I think that you should keep HP Grass if you're using this as a lead, mainly for Swampert. If you choose not to, use Flamethrower.

Anyways, I've been thinking (no, I can't test it cause of my cursed Shoddy) of the following moveset. If someone wants to test it out for me...

Cyclohm @ Salac Berry
Timid/Modest Nature- Shield Dust
176 HP/ 144 Spe/ 188 Spa

Substitute
Charge Beam/Thunderbolt
Dragon Pulse
Surf/Flamethrower

Yeah, its a Subberry strategy, but I can use three attacks if I choose to have Charge Beam, which has a high chance of boosting Special Attack. I chose Salac to make up for the low Speed.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
I think that you should keep HP Grass if you're using this as a lead, mainly for Swampert. If you choose not to, use Flamethrower.

Anyways, I've been thinking (no, I can't test it cause of my cursed Shoddy) of the following moveset. If someone wants to test it out for me...

Cyclohm @ Salac Berry
Timid/Modest Nature- Shield Dust
176 HP/ 144 Spe/ 188 Spa

Substitute
Charge Beam/Thunderbolt
Dragon Pulse
Surf/Flamethrower

Yeah, its a Subberry strategy, but I can use three attacks if I choose to have Charge Beam, which has a high chance of boosting Special Attack. I chose Salac to make up for the low Speed.
I like that set, i'll give it a go asap, just need to make a more offensive team.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Unconditionally, I've found that Cyscarf (Choice Scarf) is incredibly durable, and with a timid nature, this Poke' can outrun quite a few Pokemon. It can't outrun Salamence though, who still manages to switch in on Cyclohm and absolutely destroy him.

I use him as my lead, mind you.

Cyclohm@Choice Scarf
Shield Dust
EVs: 100 Def/158 Spe/252 SpA
Timid Nature
Draco Meter
Hidden Power Grass
Thunderbolt
Surf
Well, the only thing that cyclohm would beat with HP grass is Swampert. Given that it is quite common as a lead, it could be somewhat viable. However you are better off with a fire move to deal with the steel leads like jirachi and metagross. I'm not entirely sure how well it does as a lead though. Also, you might want to aim to outspeed base 130s such as Aerodactyl by running 176 evs in speed. This puts you at a favorable 396.

That no one else has posted this yet surprises me.
I've liked it.

Sub-Roost that isn't SR weak?? WTF

"Sub-Roostclohm"
Cyclohm@Leftovers
Static
Bold: 188 HP / 252 Def / 70 SAtk

- Substitute
- Slack Off
- Dragon Pulse / Thunderbolt
- Toxic / Coverage move based on whether you pick TBolt or DPulse

I haven't played in a while, so the EV's could use tweaking. But the set is just as effective (if not more) than all other sub-roosters. Not SR weak. STABbed Dragon Pulse. Ouch.

The reason nobody uses it is because Zapdos and Aerodactyl are both faster and have Pressure. I just don't think that set is the best use of its abilities.

That no one else has posted this yet surprises me.
I've liked it.

Sub-Roost that isn't SR weak?? WTF

"Sub-Roostclohm"
Cyclohm@Leftovers
Static
Bold: 188 HP / 252 Def / 70 SAtk

- Substitute
- Slack Off
- Dragon Pulse / Thunderbolt
- Toxic / Coverage move based on whether you pick TBolt or DPulse

I haven't played in a while, so the EV's could use tweaking. But the set is just as effective (if not more) than all other sub-roosters. Not SR weak. STABbed Dragon Pulse. Ouch.
I've been using a similiar set on my stall team....

Cyclohm @ Life Orb
Shield Dust
Bold: 252 HP / 36 Defence / 220 Special Attack
- Substitute
- Slack Off
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt

His main job is to come in and clean up once my opponent's team is worn down. He comes in on something that doesn't like him, subs on the switch, and fires away with his STAB moves, which only Magnezone and Steelix resist. The Special Attack EVs allow him to always do at least 65% to Scizor, so if Scizor has switched into SR and at least one layer of Spikes and has taken one turn of Life Orb recoil, he will get OHKOed 100% of the time, while CB Scizor gets OHKOed with 3 layers of Spikes. Max HP yields 420, which is, for various reasons, a favorite number of mine. Max HP also means he has more balanced defenses. The remaining 36 EVs went into Defence to allow him to take hits like even more of a champ.

KK first off: When I make pokemon I'm ultimatally a rookie when it comes to evs. If anyone has suggestions with the ev of my moveset plz don't hesatate to bring them up. (Also plz remember to be nice about it. Just because I'm a rookie doesn't mean I don't know how to play the game. Tnk you.)

Cyclohm
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Shield Dust
Nature: Bold
EV Spread: Hp[188], Def[70], Sp. Atk[252]
Moveset: T-Bolt, Surf, Thunder Wave, Magnet Rise
Bio: When going through this whole Cyclohm thing I noticed (Through multiple messages) that Cyclohm's main weakness is ground (More so Dugtrio and swampert) so I wanted to try and make a set that would help against ground types. T-Bolt is a reliable stab move so that's a plus. I thought about hydro pump but surf is just so much more reliable to me. With the Sp. Atk at max a surf would certainly do damage to many ground types. T-wave is for suprises that dont come in ground types. Mainly for crippling teams. Magnet Rise is something that helps depending on when its used. I'm unsure if weather or not this ev spread will allow it to survive many earthquakes but I must point out (AGAIN) that I'm not very good at ev spread when it comes to opposing pokemon.

Weaknesses:When thinking about weaknesses I can think of a few pokemon. (Once again taking out the ev spread) My main thoughts are opposing Cyclohm. This spread can easily be countered by many opposing Cyclohm and dragons in general. Next the water ground types can get through this set. Mainly swampert which can get through this no problem. (And really how rare do you think it will be to see a cyclohm and a wiscash going against each other. This moveset does nothing against ice types. Normal damage and a little paralisis are nothing against ice types. Espesially Mamoswine. Just watch out for the ice shard for any pokemon in general. Special walls can crush this set. Cresselia, blissy whatever floats ya boat.

General statistics. Meh: Its not a game changer but it can be used at the right time for crippling opposing teams. get a general view of the opponents pokemon before using this set if anyone does plan on using it.

I'm surprised that everyone is saying Cyclohm is having more success offensively.... anyway, I predict things are going to sloooow down. Cyclohm has Hippowdon's defenses and one of the best defensive typings, Dragon, to boot (dragon has the second most resistances). CyBliss? I can see it happening...

I'm surprised that everyone is saying Cyclohm is having more success offensively.... anyway, I predict things are going to sloooow down. Cyclohm has Hippowdon's defenses and one of the best defensive typings, Dragon, to boot (dragon has the second most resistances). CyBliss? I can see it happening...
Cybliss would not be as effective as Skarmbliss, if only for one reason: Cybliss would completely be shattered by any strong physical Ground attacker. Skarmory is only weak to Fire and Electric, which are rarely used as physical moves (so Blissey can switch inot them most times). Cyclohm instead of Blissey would open the doors to a wider range of threats IMO. Mamoswine and Tyranitar just spring to mind. Moreover, any Outrager would plow through Cybliss mercilessly, whereas Skarmory can switch-in, phaze, roost, spike and so on.

Been running this set with some success,

Cyclohm @ Leftovers
EVs: 116 HP/140 SAtk/252 SDef
Calm
- Slack Off
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder Wave

Pretty much self-explanatory, though I might move some SAtk EVs into HP. Cyclohm has the bulk to take a hit and Thunder Wave before hitting back the next turn or slacking off the damage taken before hitting back. I'm wondering if a Yawn or Toxic variant on this could work too - probably not Yawn.

ive been working with this set.

Cyclohm @ Life Orb
EVs: 80 HP/176 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid
- Dragon Dance
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower / Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse

seems odd Using dragon dance with no physical attacks. Only utilizing the speed boost this thing can really put the hurt on some pokemans.

Cyclohm @ Life Orb
Timid
- Dragon Dance
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse

seems odd Using dragon dance with no physical attacks. Only utilizing the speed boost this thing can really put the hurt on some pokemans.
I can see this working as a slightly gimmicky but effective set, as if you DD on the first turn, then they might switch to a physical counter, like Skarmory, expecting an Outrage, and then you could Flamethrower for the KO. However, it's never going to be a mainstream set as you do waste half the boost. Maybe you could put one physical attack on, maybe dragon claw instead of pulse, and split the EVs, and go for a mixed sweeper? Who knows.

Cyclohm @ Life Orb
Timid
- Dragon Dance
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
I discussed this set with Deck Knight before playingtesting began, except with split EVs, Outrage over Dragon Pulse and Surf over Flamethrower. I could see it being used on an offensive team as a great well-breaking partner to Infernape, but I haven't had the time to test it yet.

edit: Oh, I don't think Skarmory will ever be switching in.

Alright, after further testing, I've finally came up with a very successful MixSweeper Cyclohm.

Cyclohm @ Leftovers
EVs: 162 Atk / 96 Spe / 252 SpA
Naive
-Dragon Dance
-Volt Tackle
-Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower / Surf

The EV spread allows Cyclohm to reach a Speed stat of 363 after one Dragon Dance, outspeeding Azelf and friends. Volt Tackle is pretty deadly once Cyclohm has received a couple of DDs under its belt, hitting Blissey and Snorlax really hard. Dragon Pulse is used instead of Outrage / Dragon Claw because Cyclohm doesn't have to worry about being Intimidated against Salamence or Gyarados, and I find it much more useful to be honest. Flamethrower is pretty much the best move for the last slot to hit Skarmory, Metagross, Celebi, Forretress, and Scizor who would otherwise be some trouble against Cyclohm.

I've been using a similiar set on my stall team....

Cyclohm @ Life Orb
Shield Dust
Bold: 252 HP / 36 Defence / 220 Special Attack
- Substitute
- Slack Off
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt

His main job is to come in and clean up once my opponent's team is worn down. He comes in on something that doesn't like him, subs on the switch, and fires away with his STAB moves, which only Magnezone and Steelix resist. The Special Attack EVs allow him to always do at least 65% to Scizor, so if Scizor has switched into SR and at least one layer of Spikes and has taken one turn of Life Orb recoil, he will get OHKOed 100% of the time, while CB Scizor gets OHKOed with 3 layers of Spikes. Max HP yields 420, which is, for various reasons, a favorite number of mine. Max HP also means he has more balanced defenses. The remaining 36 EVs went into Defence to allow him to take hits like even more of a champ.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Cyclohm's Walling-Hazing ability w/ its amazing resists and well-above-average defensive resists clearly make him a defensive PKMN.

Which no one in this thread seems to be cool about.

PKMN like Kitsunoh were clearly geared towards a "choice" item. IMO Cyclohm is obv defensive. To do much else is silly.

He isn't metagross.
He isn't jirachi.
He isn't swampert.
He's not a bulky attacker, IMO.

But who cares. I'm benthenoob.

Yes, Dragon has the second most resistances, but it's tied with Water, Fire, Grass, Poison, Rock, and Ghost (assuming you count Immunities as resistances, which is a good assumption considering they're better).

Water, Poison, and Ghost all also have 2 Weaknesses, just like Dragon. And arguably any one of those is a better defensive typing because both Dragon and Ice are incredibly common, whereas things like Psychic and Grass are fairly rare.

The problem with the "CyBliss" combination is that a Physical Dragon attacker (which is most of them) walks all over both of them. Hippowdon, Forretress, and Skarmory work so well with Blissey because their weaknesses (Water, Grass, and Ice for Hippo, Fire for Forretress, and Fire and Electric for Skarm) are primarily used by Special attackers and not Physical ones, allowing the combos to more effectively wall.

One move I am surprised nobody is trying out is Stun Spore, sure it is less accurate than T-Wave, but being able to paralyze the electric immune if pretty satisfying.

I gave Stun Spore a shot, but I generally didn't find it useful. The only noteworthy opponents that can be Paralyzed are Flygon, Dugtrio and Mamoswine, while the accuracy is very disappointing.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Originally Posted by Fat Fuzznip
Alright, after further testing, I've finally came up with a very successful MixSweeper Cyclohm.

Cyclohm @ Leftovers
EVs: 162 Atk / 96 Spe / 252 SpA
Naive
-Dragon Dance
-Volt Tackle
-Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower / Surf

The EV spread allows Cyclohm to reach a Speed stat of 363 after one Dragon Dance, outspeeding Azelf and friends. Volt Tackle is pretty deadly once Cyclohm has received a couple of DDs under its belt, hitting Blissey and Snorlax really hard. Dragon Pulse is used instead of Outrage / Dragon Claw because Cyclohm doesn't have to worry about being Intimidated against Salamence or Gyarados, and I find it much more useful to be honest. Flamethrower is pretty much the best move for the last slot to hit Skarmory, Metagross, Celebi, Forretress, and Scizor who would otherwise be some trouble against Cyclohm.
That's a really interesting set, but if you change it to Rash and run 188 Atk/ 136 SpA/ 184 Spe, you'll pick up 7 stat points in Atk. Or you could run Rash with 160/164/184 to pick up 8 points in SpA (I would recommend the first option, since a couple DDs could turn those 7 points into 21 or more pretty quick). It doesn't make too much of a difference, I know, but it always helps to get the most out of your EVs!

Also, if you slap a LO on there, it'll guarantee the OHKO on incoming Adamant Dugtrio with Dragon Pulse (Jolly still outruns and OHKOs 45% of the time w/ Leftovers + SR). If you have Leftovers, it's never a OHKO, and you'll be pretty much sunk once Dugtrio gets in there.

I would like to point out that as of now, if Cyclohm appears before my Latias in hopes of Thunderbolting something, I can switch to her and Cyclohm is boned. The only way Cyclohm can beat Latias is by predicting a switch and using a Dragon move. However, with Dragon Dance, this problem is solved since if you DD on the switch, you are suddenly faster and can OHKO with Dragon Claw, provided enough attack (44 EVs, neutral nature against offensive CM) and Life Orb. This can open the door for a sweep as Dragon Electric is resisted by few and can be rounded out with Fire or Water.

However, I tried a DD set before, and the problem I found is that Cyclohm needs a lot of investment in attack to pull this off against most things and simply doesn't have the stats to be spread so thin. Perhaps with some tweaking he can work but things like Heatran can take his neutral special attacks and destroy with Earth Power and without a Fire attack, things like Metagross can cause problems. Definitely something to try with Screen support so he can get more boosts.

Remember, Salamence can pull a DD set with 400 attack, 262 special attack and 299 speed to start. Cyclohm can try something like 240 attack, 260 special attack and 259 speed (like I said, tweaking) so it's important to not just make Cyclohm a weak Salamence.

I ran DD / Volt Tackle / Dragon Pulse / Hydro Pump and it just wasnt hitting hard enough on either side.

don't post sets till you've tried them yourselves.
If your talking about me I've tried this set out multiple times and I've confirmed most of the things I've said on this. Only thing is I've never seen a swampert or dugtrio in any of the battles I've had with it. However I've seen earthquake enough times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)