Programming Damage Calculator

Leftovers has no effect on the damage calculation for me. Is this a bug or am I missing something, lol?
Leftovers does not effect how much damage is done.

Torrent doesn't work for me. I was using Blastoise vs. Skarmory if that matters. The damage was the same after I checked the ability box.
EDIT: Shouldn't abilities like Anger Point just boost their corresponding stat? Either way, Anger Point's boost needs to be entered in manually. I get the feeling the abilities are still being developed.
For torrent, you need to lower your HP to a point where the ability is activated.

And for Anger Point, we can't assume the boost is active, even if it has hat ability.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It would be helpful in some cases if the calculator could be forced to output all legal damages, not just the range of damages. In other words, r = 85, 86, ... 99, 100. They should probably show the probability of each occurring, because I'm assuming anyone who wants enough of a level of detail to show every legal damage probably also wants to know the probability weighting of each.

I'm guessing this has been suggested before, but I didn't see it in this thread, so...

It'd be awesome if this calculated the probability of a #HKO, maybe even up to 4 or 5 (for the sake of thoroughness, if nothing else). A lot of the time you can "eyeball" it, but it would be really useful for finding specific EV spreads that achieve or prevent 2HKOes, etc. That's the only thing I still have to hop on Libelldra for, everything else is amazing.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There's really no reason to limit it to 4 or 5HKO. You might as well make it actually NHKO. Type in the number of hits you want.

There's no way to take into account a Flower Gift boost for either attacker or defender. I guess it probably works for Cherrim itself, but I can't see a way to select it for Cherrim's partner... If Helping Hand (a doubles-only move) is included, shouldn't Flower Gift's partner supporting effect also be there?

Oh, and I don't know whether this is a bug in the damage calculator or the defense EVs applet, but the results of them are inconsistent.
I used the defense EVs applet to calculate the best EVs for a lv50 Mr. Mime, focusing only on Sp. Def (with 290 EVs available), and it suggested I use 212 HP and 76 Sp. Def. However, using the damage calculator, I found that 220 HP and 68 Sp. Def is actually slightly more effective.
So clearly, there's a flaw in either the damage calculator or the defense EVs applet...

obi

formerly david stone
For a given calculation a different spread might be slightly more effective. However, Pokemon rounds down at every point in the calculation, so another calculation would lead to slightly different optimal spreads.

Don't know if this was mentioned, but Beat Up doesn't seem to register. Seeing that the damage is affected by the amount of remaining pokemon on your side, you'll have to create a section where you input the number of pokes that aren't KO'd. Seems like an awful waste of time for a move thats hardly used :/

I have a bug to report:

When you use keep preferences under in the preference window, it remembers the level that you set as default in the textbox, but it doesn't actually change the level of the actual pokes when you reload the calculator later, you have to manually hit enter again to get it to change.

Edit:

Also, the default level preference doesn't modify the pokemon aside from the first two.

And I'm using Google Chrome, and have cookies on, just to make that clear. I might not be using the calculator right, but I don't believe it's my browser.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mold Breaker

I tried calculating damage from a Rampardos' Earthquake to Levitate Bronzong which did 0 - 0%. Next I checked "Ability Effect" but no dice. Finally, I changed Bronzong's ability to Heatproof, then tried no immunity, which worked. This is a rather round-about way of doing it.

"Edit" While I was typing this I read the first page and saw that you mentioned Mold Breaker being a problem, so I was wondering if you had made any progress with this? And from a programming standpoint, this sounds like a HUGE pain in the ass.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Read the Help for "Shared Options". Mold Breaker is mentioned specifically there, and it describes how to handle it.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Hippopotas is listed twice in the list to select you're pokemon from.
edit: Actually it looks like every first form pokemon is listed twice. Is this intentional? It doesn't matter which one you select the moveset options are exactly the same.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was wondering if there's anyway to implement a Power Trick boost into the calculation. I played around with it a bit, and still couldn't get it. Is there a way around this, or does it need to be implemented?

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Calculating a Blizzard and a Grass Knot from the same Abomasnow against the same Palkia results in one damage higher for max for Grass Knot over Blizzard despite both being 120 bp stab attacks.

species=Abomasnow
ability=Snow Warning
nature=Quiet
heldItem=Focus Sash
level=50
attackEV=4
spAttackEV=252
speedEV=252
moveName=Grass Knot
---
species=Palkia
ability=Pressure
nature=Timid
heldItem=Haban Berry
level=50
hpEV=4

species=Abomasnow
ability=Snow Warning
nature=Quiet
heldItem=Focus Sash
level=50
attackEV=4
spAttackEV=252
speedEV=252
moveName=Blizzard
---
species=Palkia
ability=Pressure
nature=Timid
heldItem=Haban Berry
level=50
hpEV=4

Im guessing it has something to do with finding Grass Knot's base power.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Calculating a Blizzard and a Grass Knot from the same Abomasnow against the same Palkia results in one damage higher for max for Grass Knot over Blizzard despite both being 120 bp stab attacks.

Im guessing it has something to do with finding Grass Knot's base power.
Palkia is Water/Dragon.

Blizzard is NVE on Water, then it is SE on Dragon.
Grass Knot is SE on Water, then it is NVE on Dragon.

Most people think both moves are neutral on Palkia. That's true enough for casual conversation, but it is not technically true. In the damage formula, both multipliers are applied in sequence, rounding down between each operation. In most cases, the two multipliers effectively "nullify" each other perfectly. But depending on the exact numbers involved in the calc, the two moves actually can have a very slight difference in the final damage, due to the order of the damage calc and the rounding applied between each step.

This is not a mistake or bug in the Damage Calculator. It is the correct implementation of the damage formula.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)