Darkrai [QC 1/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
QC: Nayrz

[OVERVIEW]

* Darkrai has a fantastic stats boasting a base 125 Speed allowing it to outspeed majority of the Ubers metagame while having a huge 135 SpA to make use of its great speed tier.
* Darkrai also has a good movepool with coverage moves such as Focus Blast, Thunder, Sludge Bomb combined with its access to Nasty Plot as a great set up move to increase its sweeping potential.
* It gained a new tool in Z-Moves as +2 Black Hole Eclipse OHKOs almost anything that doesn't resist.
* While it has a nice offensive stat, its defensive bulk is not that great being revenge killed by common choice scarf users and priority attacks.
* Dark Void's accuracy nerf makes it harder for Darkrai to setup reliably and gives it lessened support capabilities.

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Sludge Bomb / Hypnosis
item: Darkinium Z
ability: Bad Dreams
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Dark Pulse is a staple on Darkrai as it is its strongest STAB move on the special side.
* Nasty Plot is an easy set up move and just at +2 with maximum Sp.Attack investment it reaches 738 Sp.Attack which can sweep most unprepared teams with ease.
* Black Hole Eclipse from Dark Pulse has a Base Power of 160 which at +2 Sp.Attack, can now OHKOs max HP non resisting Arceus forms, Kyogre, Ho-Oh for which Darkrai is otherwise forced to run Thunder.
* Sludge Bomb is an option to hit fairies for super effective damage such as Xerneas and the occasional Fairyceus
* Focus blast is also an option to damage Magearna, Tyranitar, Chansey, Blissey, Darkceus who otherwise tanks rest of Darkrai's moves.
* Although it has poor accuracy, Hypnosis can be used to take advantage of Darkrai's ability dealing 12.5% damage each turn to sleeping opponents.

Set Details
========

* 252 Speed EVs with a timid nature allows Darkrai to outspeed all Arceus forms and speed tie with other Darkrais.
* 252 Sp.attack EVs is used to maximize its Special Attacking side and increase its offensive potential
* Darkinium-Z is the item of choice as Z-Dark Pulse pretty much KOs most special tanks which otherwise troubles Darkrai. It also allows Darkrai to not run Thunder mainly for Ho-oh and Kyogre freeing up a moveslot allowing Darkrai to run more coverage moves.

Usage Tips
========

* Due to Darkrai's average bulk and lack of recovery, Darkrai should be brought in on free switches preventing it from taking too much damage.
* Take advantage of free turns when the opposing pokemon is switching out or using a non damaging move to set up Nasty Plot as otherwise it doesn't get much opportunity to set up due to being worn down and not being able to punish the opponent into falling asleep anymore.
* Try not to rely on Hypnosis at critical moments which might end up losing you the game due to a miss. Use it during turns where your opponent is switching out his pokemon which gives you a higher chance to hit one out of two Hypnosis.
* Preserve Sucker Punch for the right moment as normally when your opponent brings in a Gengar, Deoxys or Scarf Lunala to revenge kill Darkrai, then you can reveal Sucker Punch and get a surprise kill.
* Emphasize on getting your hazards up early in game as without life orb Darkrai needs a bit of chip damage to get certain KOs at +2 such as Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy, Ho-Oh with stealth rocks.

Team Options
========

* Primal Groudon makes an excellent teammate for Darkrai as it can switch in into common Darkrai checks such as Xerneas, Genesect, Ho-Oh.
* Extreme Killer Arceus, Pheromosa, Solgaleo, Arceus-Ground is also a great partner as they benefit from Darkrai being able to remove ghost types such as Giratina, Ghostceus, Lunala.
* Mega Gengar can proceed to trap and kill Xerneas with sludge wave which is a huge threat to darkrai.
* Deo-S, Dialga and lead Excadrill, Cloyster makes great partners with Darkrai as a hazard setter on most HO teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Substitute with Leftovers can potentially be used as it allows Darkrai to set up more freely.
* Will-o-wisp enables to cripple the likes of Ekiller Arceus.
* Ice Beam can be preferred as well to surprise Mega Salamence but however, it has very little use otherwise.
* If not using Darkinium-Z, an alternative set with LO and Thunder can be preferred for Ho-Oh, Kyogre and Yveltal.
* Taunt can also be considered as an option to prevent set up moves, deffoggers and as well as stallbreaking.
* Sucker Punch is an unique option to hit Mega Gengar and psychic types such as Deoxys and Scarf Lunala once its Shadow Shield is broken for a good surprise KO.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magearna and Klefki**: Thanks to their typing and amazing natural bulk, both can switch into any of Darkrai's moves quiet easily and proceed to KO with their respective super effective STAB Fairy moves. Neither can however survive 2 Focus Blast at +2 Sp. Attack.

**Fairy Types**: Fairy types such as Arceus-Fairy, Clefable can also tank +2 non-LO Sludge Bomb and retaliate back with their respective STAB fairy moves KOing Darkrai. Xerneas also has a decent chance of surviving a +2 Sludge Bomb prior to stealth rocks damage at full heath.

**Fast Attackers**: Common choice scarf users such as Xerneas, Genesect can come in on a free switch and proceed to kill with their super-effective STAB moves. Deoxys-A and Pheromossa can also come in on a free switch and KO Darkrai with superpower and U-Turn respectively. Mega Gengar can also pick off a weakened Darkrai as now it does not need to run Protect anymore and outspeed it the turn it Mega Evolves. Beware of Sucker Punch though.

**Priority**: Life Orb Arceus and Rayquaza can 2HKO Darkrai with Extreme Speed. Lucario and Scizor can also pick off a weakened Darkrai with Bullet Punch.

**Chansey and Blissey**: Thanks to their huge special bulk, Chansey and Blissey can shrug off any move bar Focus Blast which 2HKOs both at +2 Sp.Attack

**Ho-Oh**: Due to it's amazing Special bulk, Ho-oh can survive any of Darkrai's unboosted move and retaliate back with Brave Bird or Sacred Fire both of which OHKOs after stealth rocks damage.

Last edited:
i've been told circumstances get in the way of the 3 day deadline, so another 24 hours from this post will be the next deadline

I'm no QC person, but I feel Z-Hypnosis should be considered as a set. Darkrai has a relatively tough time trying to set up a Nasty Plot with its pitiful bulk, and it can do that much more safely with Z-Hypnosis while gaining +1 speed out of it, helping it outpace Choice Scarf users and anything else that's naturally faster. Accuracy kind of blows, but it's better than Dark Void at this point.

Darkrai @ Psychium Z
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hypnosis
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb / Thunder / Focus Blast

This would be the set. As for the 4th move, it's dependent on what kind of coverage you need for your team.

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi
In my opinion, like Vengeance417 said, Z-Hypnosis deserves a mention in OO since it is one of the best ways to open up space for Darkrai to set up Nasty Plot.
Also, since you mentioned an alternate spread Darkrai can run, I think it will be best if you mention how the 40 EVs in HP helps as well.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I reckon it probably deserves a set, to be honest. If Z-hypno Xurkitree can get a Hypnosis + boost set, I can't see why Darkrai shouldn't get one, especially when Darkrai actually has some utility in checking stuff like Ghostceus while Xurkitree is literally paste if it fails to hit Hypnosis.

Reactions: ckw
I reckon it probably deserves a set, to be honest. If Z-hypno Xurkitree can get a Hypnosis + boost set, I can't see why Darkrai shouldn't get one, especially when Darkrai actually has some utility in checking stuff like Ghostceus while Xurkitree is literally paste if it fails to hit Hypnosis.
So slash it instead of just mentioning in OO?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, I mean write a separate set for it is my opinion. Then again, it is my opinion, we should really see what QC thinks.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Z-Hypnosis sets are really volatile and Darkrai's damage output is very unimpressive without Life Orb so I can't say I recommend it. I think Darkrai would be better suited towards maximizing its immediate damage output since fast Dark attacker is the niche now that its Sleep options suck.

It might be worth using Sucker Punch as the 3rd move on the set to surprise Mega Gengar and faster Psychic-types. I'll have to discuss this mon more with QC.

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Sludge Bomb / Hypnosis
item: Darkinium Z
ability: Bad Dreams
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Sucker Punch can stay in moves, but move Taunt to other options - it just aint worth what you drop for it. Hypnosis is workable to do Darkrai things like offensively checking Arceus-Dark and other Arceus formes better but is obviously unreliable... but so is Hypnosis Lunala/Xurkitree and here we are.

QC discussion has found that Black Hole Eclipse solves a bunch of issues with damage output - it OHKOes Arceus, Kyogre, and most Ho-Oh which can leave Thunder less necessary, which can free up a slot and solve some of the 4MSS.

I'd ditch that alternative spread unless the 40 HP does something worthwhile. Change up the entire skeleton to fit this new set from the overview downwards as this is likely to be Darkrai's new way to play and it will need to cover Z-Move usage.

Checks and Counters should look like this:

Magearna + Klefki
Faster Attackers (Mega Gengar/Deo-A/Pheromosa/Tapu Koko)
Priority Moves (anyone with Extreme Speed or Scizor/Lucario)
Chansey + Blissey
Ho-Oh
Sleep Absorbers (maybe - leave this out for now to see if QC agree on it getting a specific mention)

I'll have another look over it once things are changed around.

Usage tips should cover Hypnosis usage (when/what to do) and what to Sucker Punch - specify Scarf Lunala in the moves section as you would normally just Dark Pulse it which can have the reader wondering why you would Sucker Punch it. Sucker Punch should be unslashed but covered in Moves.

Team Options should have Deo-S as Darkrai can still play a part of standard HO teams as it did before so add other HO teammates.

Implement and consider this QC 1/3

Added. I wasn't sure exactly how to word up the Hypnosis usage, i hope it's fine how i mentioned it rn or any otherways to write it?

shrang

General Kenobi
I personally think Taunt is a better option than Hypnosis. Being on HO, one of the main draws of Darkrai is its ability to outspeed things and stop Defog, otherwise you're better off using Yveltal (which is quite huge if you want to do shit like break through Ho-oh with GeoXern, or not getting clutched by Lunala, etc). Hypnosis' 60% accuracy is just too shaky to reliably stop Defoggers. As for giving Darkrai a chance to set up, you got 60%, which might be acceptable on Xurkitree, but is kind of meh on Darkrai because you want to use this to do stuff like check Ghostceus as well.

I feel Hypnosis can be a necessary evil for offensive builds as Darkrai will be pretty hard pressed to get to +2 otherwise without threatening Sleep or landing Hypnosis, which it needs to do things to Dark resists as it has no boosting item. A mirror HO matchup needs Hypnosis to get +2 and turn the game after the lead into a 5v5, or else it can give setup to stuff like RP Groudon and Ekiller (Taunt can do this but risks just outright dying, in the world of good luck you sleep them and get +2) Dropping either Sludge Bomb or Hypnosis for Taunt leaves you with a Darkrai that has to typically sacrifice itself to keep SR up or stop a Xerneas setup which is something I'd rather use say, Tapu Koko for. Sleep is just that strong and helpful towards this set that it is worth the 60% chance. If you want to avoid dealing with any bullshit you just use the threat of Hypnosis as a bluff and can hit a Xerneas with a +2 Sludge Bomb. That is imo the biggest issue with Hypnosis Darkrai outside of accuracy - Xerneas can setup on you after something is asleep, hence why Sludge Bomb is first slash. Unreliability is the only real downside about Darkrai in this meta and yet it is still threatening.

Preserve Sucker Punch for the right moment as normally when your opponent brings in a Gengar, Deoxys or Scarf Lunala to revenge kill Darkrai, then you can reveal Sucker Punch and get a surprise kill.
If you include Sucker Punch in the usage tips, shouldn't it also be in the set itself?

genesect is not a common scarfer

also i feel this analysis puts alot less emphasis on hazard support than it should, deo-s being the only mon mentioned that provides hazard support, especially with life orb not featured in the main set. with hazards up darkrai ohkos geoxern and has a chance to ohko fairyceus with a +2 sludge bomb, and it also gets a guaranteed ko on kyogre after rocks with +2 z-dark pulse. mence falls to +2 dark pulse after sr, meaning in a last mon scenario it can't set up. you also have a better chance to 2hko chansey and magearna with focus blast on the switch and a chance to ko offensive yveltal after sr; in some cases you can even ko ho-oh without wasting the z move.

Wouldn't Electrium-Z and Thunder be better on NP. I mean, I think eliminating Ho-Oh 100% of the times is pretty cool.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wouldn't Electrium-Z and Thunder be better on NP. I mean, I think eliminating Ho-Oh 100% of the times is pretty cool.
Electrium Z is a bit of a waste when Life Orb is sufficient to OHKO Ho-Oh at +2 with Thunder and Darkinium Z offers more general wallbreaking potential and revenge killing utility (as well as the ability to OHKO fast Ho-Oh at +2 and OHKO bulky Ho-Oh with like 10% chip).

Fireburn

BARN ALL
Oh right I should stamp this.

Overview bullets 2 and 3 can be combined to "good sweeping potential with nasty plot and varied coverage options" or something to that effect. The last bullet can be changed a bit - the sleep nerf mostly makes it harder for Darkrai to setup reliably and gives it lessened support capabilities.

Sucker Punch can probably be moved back to OO at this point, it's best with Life Orb and the NP set doesn't use it.

Team Options are a bit barren. What other hazard setters are there (hint: Dialga and lead Excadrill)? Who else appreciates Darkrai's ability to scare off bulky Ghost- and Psychic-types (hint: Arceus-Ground).

C&C should have a general bullet for Fairy-types with Arceus-Fairy and Clefable (both tank +2 Sludge Bomb and KO back with STAB) and Xerneas (dies to +2 Sludge Bomb after SR but walls if you lack Sludge Bomb and might be Scarfed). Watch the spacing here as well.

Make this changes and I will stamp.

Added in those changes. I mention scarf Xerneas in the Fast Attackers option so didnt mention scarf in the Fairy Types again.

Can't Darkrai run focus sash still? It gives it an opportunity to set up a nasty plot or try to hit hypnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)